PDA

View Full Version : Insight needed: People who try to resell tickets as face value to non-sold out events

Boozer
10-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Are you/do you know one of these people? I have noticed this with alarming frequency. Someone will advertise (typically via intra-company email) that they have two tickets to XYZ event for face-value. Most of the time, XYZ event wasn’t even close to selling out, plenty of good tickets in good locations were still available, and the seats advertised in the email were not spectacular.

I first started noticing this phenomenon this summer (D’Backs games...it was a rare game this past summer where you couldn’t get lower deck, inside the foul pole tickets from the box right before the game.). I can understand if your tickets are incredible...like fifth row or something.
Otherwise, why do people do this? Do other people actually pay face for these tickets (I guess, saving the hassle of ... waiting in line for five minutes before the game?)?

Rain Man
10-14-2005, 01:58 PM
You never know when some 10,000 person company will decide to take all of its employees out for a ball game. It's better to be safe than sorry.

joesomebody
10-14-2005, 01:59 PM
I would assume these people bought these tickets, planning on going themselves, but then something prevents them from going so they need to unload the tickets?

If it were me I'd offer a few bucks off what I paid, just so I could unload em... but some people just don't think that way.

Now if you mean people are buying tickets for the purpose of selling them at face value... I don't know...

Reminds me of a joke about two polish brothers buying hay in one state and selling it in another...

They buy it for 5 bucks a bale, and sell it for 5 bucks a bale...

When they don't make any money, one brother says to the other... "I think we need a bigger truck."

Boozer
10-14-2005, 02:03 PM
I would assume these people bought these tickets, planning on going themselves, but then something prevents them from going so they need to unload the tickets?

If it were me I'd offer a few bucks off what I paid, just so I could unload em... but some people just don't think that way.

Now if you mean people are buying tickets for the purpose of selling them at face value... I don't know...

Reminds me of a joke about two polish brothers buying hay in one state and selling it in another...

When they don't make any money, one brother says to the other... "I think we need a bigger truck."

I don't think people who do this bought the tickets with an eye toward selling them later. Usually, it's "Oh, shit...I can't go tonight. I guess I'll sell my tickets. How much should I charge? Well, I paid twenty-five a piece, how's fifty for the pair sound?"

Goapics1
10-14-2005, 02:06 PM
How much should I charge? Well, I paid twenty-five a piece, how's fifty for the pair sound?"

An excellent marketing idea.

Skip Towne
10-14-2005, 02:12 PM

And then there was the guy buying hammers in the US for $2 and taking them to Canada and selling them for $1.50. His buddy asked"How do you make any money doing that?". He replied, Volume.