PDA

View Full Version : What WR are we going to draft in round one next year?

CanadaKC
10-14-2005, 03:47 PM
It's a given is it not?

ArrowheadHawk
10-14-2005, 04:03 PM
hopefully its not with a pick in the top fifteen :(

dsgreene285
10-14-2005, 04:08 PM
WR would be nice, but I believe we need a D-lineman more.

Frankie
10-14-2005, 04:09 PM
WR would be nice, but I believe we need a D-lineman more.
And OTs.

Rain Man
10-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Maybe we can find a player who can go 60 minutes: WR on offense and DT on defense. Is Matt Jones available?

Taco John
10-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Sylvester Norris.

dsgreene285
10-14-2005, 04:13 PM
And OTs.

good point...OT may be an even greater need.

We have witnessed that there is a big difference in a capable RT and a capable LT.

Frankie
10-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Maybe we can find a player who can go 60 minutes: WR on offense and DT on defense. Is Matt Jones available?
We already have Rich Scanlon

BigChiefFan
10-14-2005, 04:23 PM
I still don't see us going for a WR in the 1st round, but it all depends on where we draft. Also, the season is still young, Parker could step it up a notch and the WR position will be less of a worry. You just never know.

As I see it now-DT, OT, WR, QB, OG, CB

Frankie
10-14-2005, 04:24 PM
good point...Seriously?
:p

Rain Man
10-14-2005, 04:38 PM
We already have Rich Scanlon

We need him at the other 20 positions, though.

CanadaKC
10-14-2005, 05:05 PM
I'm just trying to add to the football discussion...as per another thread.
I actually think we'll try for a WR given all the 1st round OT's will be long gone...and there will be good value at WR (one of our glaring needs)...
where we pick. Most of the picks will be offense before we pick...but mostly OT's, QB's and RB's...and we already have a solid LB core...so count them out...and CB Justin Williams of VT will be gone as well.

Mr. Laz
10-14-2005, 05:11 PM
lemme see :hmmm:

needs:

DE (do we have a decent one on the freakin roster?)
DT (neverending bottomless pit)
OT (we might not if black and sampson progress)
WR (parker is still learning)
FS (wesley is not a nature free safety IMO )
CB (warfield is nothing to write home about, but is clearly are #2)

CanadaKC
10-14-2005, 05:17 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

hmmm

CanadaKC
10-14-2005, 05:18 PM

Hammock Parties
10-14-2005, 05:20 PM
If Vermeil stays on another year (god forbid) I don't want us taking another defensive linemen. Take a WR.

Otherwise, D-line all the way. Probably defensive tackle.

chiefsfaninNC
10-14-2005, 05:34 PM
OT with the first pick, both Roaf and Shields are done after this year. Black or Welborne can step in at guard. DT with the 2nd and 3rd. Following rounds best athletes that are left. Hopefully a corner and more o line. Free agency we need to pick up a number one receiver.

tk13
10-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Eh, it all depends, I'd just as soon go CB, DE, or OL.... depends on what FA WR's are out there. Also depends on who the coach is too...

HolmeZz
10-14-2005, 05:45 PM

needs:

DE - Yeah, we have about 4 decent ones. That just happens to be the problem. They're no better than decent.
DT - A big weakness. Needs to be addressed.
OT - We've got a ton of young guys here. Hopefully atleast one can pan out.
WR - Need a playmaker.
FS - Wesley's played fine. Bartee can play the position too.
CB - I want to see how Eric plays first. He should be better being teamed up with an all-pro corner, but his failure wouldn't surprise me.

CanadaKC
10-14-2005, 05:55 PM
How many draft sites say the Chiefs have the worst WR tandem in the league? They certainly don't scare anybody...which makes it so easy for defenses to double-team Gonzo. Otherwise...it's the Priest/LJ running show a la Roaf and Shields. Not too hard to figure out...and Green's numbers are waaaaaay down. I guess we'll see what DT's are there...Rod Wright from Texas would be awesome...but he'll be gone.

RealSNR
10-14-2005, 05:59 PM
I'd prefer we dont' draft more Dlinemen. We all know how that works out.

I say draft Oline for future starters or a WR just to get some ****ing talent at that position.

tk13
10-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Well if you want instant gratification at the WR position, I'm not sure the draft is the way to go unless you have a top 5-10 pick. Even then, that's no sure thing. Most any WR we picked in the 1st round would at least take 2-3 years to make the impact expected.... it's possible but I wouldn't expect it.

Chiefnj
10-14-2005, 06:00 PM
DE - Yeah, we have about 4 decent ones. That just happens to be the problem. They're no better than decent.
DT - A big weakness. Needs to be addressed.
OT - We've got a ton of young guys here. Hopefully atleast one can pan out.
WR - Need a playmaker.
FS - Wesley's played fine. Bartee can play the position too.
CB - I want to see how Eric plays first. He should be better being teamed up with an all-pro corner, but his failure wouldn't surprise me.

IMO, Wesley has been a huge liability in pass defense.

CanadaKC
10-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Most any WR we picked in the 1st round would at least take 2-3 years to make the impact expected.... it's possible but I wouldn't expect it. ...you can literally say that about any position...
although there have been exceptions...like Moss and Vilma to name a few...a very few. Other top picks like DT Dewayne Robertson of the Jets is finally coming into his own...but it's been a couple years. I'm still wondering if OT "Mount" Mckennie of the Vikes is ever going to develop into the stud he was flaunted as. How about Chris Samuels of the Skins? Not very impressive. It appears a toss-up at those positions as well (OT, DT)...so I'd go WR.

Frankie
10-14-2005, 06:41 PM

needs:

All in all, I'd rather we got a solid DT and/or OT as FA rather than have to rely on a rookie next year. Unless a blue chip immediate starter is available when we pick in the first. That would be a tall order seeing our cap situation won't be much good.

CanadaKC
10-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Let me mention this again....most if not all football geeks (expert or otherwise) say we have the worst WR tandem in the league....and I'd have to agree. We cannot afford a stud WR FA...
so it appears to be a no-brainer to be. But who knows what Carl will do...

chief99
10-14-2005, 09:59 PM
OT with the first pick, both Roaf and Shields are done after this year. Black or Welborne can step in at guard. DT with the 2nd and 3rd. Following rounds best athletes that are left. Hopefully a corner and more o line. Free agency we need to pick up a number one receiver.

Exactly . 2nd round either DT or WR.

You can't do anything in football without the bigboys. You can find free agent WR but not great OT s'.

chief99
10-14-2005, 10:01 PM
We also haven't drafted smart for WRs'.

We could have had some decent guys with hands but chose not take them because lack of 4.3 40 time.

ZootedGranny
10-14-2005, 10:08 PM
I haven't seen a guy yet that sticks out as a must have WR prospect in this upcoming class.

You've got a bunch of guys that have potential, like Hagan, Breaston, Holmes, Ginn, Jarrett, etc...but nobody like a Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson. The closest guy in my opinion is Calvin Johnson, but he likely won't come out for a couple of more years.

nomad
10-14-2005, 10:16 PM
The Chiefs are masters in the drafting of the "second tier" talent.......... i.e. wherever a position is deep, instead of taking one of the many,they will reach at another position and come back to what was the positional strength of the draft and pick up 8-9 best prospect.

So between the reach, and the passing of one the many high ranked at a position, they end up with chit!

I think they tend to focus on finding a speck on the desk, and miss the elephant in the middle of the room.

HolmeZz
10-14-2005, 10:46 PM
I haven't seen a guy yet that sticks out as a must have WR prospect in this upcoming class.

You've got a bunch of guys that have potential, like Hagan, Breaston, Holmes, Ginn, Jarrett, etc...but nobody like a Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson. The closest guy in my opinion is Calvin Johnson, but he likely won't come out for a couple of more years.

Johnson and Jarrett are only sophs and Ginn and Breaston are glorified kick-returners. Hagan's good, but I don't think he'll ever be a superstar type. Holmes is a playmaker, I like him. And Chad Jackson's emerging; I'd love to have him.

Tribal Warfare
10-15-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm betting OL in the first . The upcoming draft class is going to be the deepest since at OL since the 2000 draft .

Prince22
10-15-2005, 01:43 AM
Round 6 Kennan Burton - UK

KCChiefsMan
10-15-2005, 04:21 AM
look at the projected 2nd and 3rd round picks for WRs and that should narrow it down and then it's whoever's the fastest and skiniest

Mecca
10-15-2005, 04:31 AM
Tedd Ginn, Calvin Johnson and Dwayne Jarrett aren't draft eligible. Considering what this team is probably going to go through after this year. Overhaul of the coaching staff, purging of players to get under the cap and all of that. They should probably be taking best player available in every round, this team is going to have to go through a major rebuilding phase after this season.

Extra Point
10-15-2005, 06:46 AM
I'm betting OL in the first . The upcoming draft class is going to be the deepest since at OL since the 2000 draft .

Agreed

Chiefnj
10-15-2005, 09:28 AM
College players who've impressed me so far:

Martin Nance - WR Miami of Ohio
Tamba Hali (sp?) - DE of Penn State.
AJ Hawk (LB) - Ohio.

JBucc
10-15-2005, 09:41 AM
I don't see any real good recievers in this draft so I say go for a lineman of some sort. O lineman or D lineman whichever is fine with me.

B_Ambuehl
10-15-2005, 09:58 AM
There are too many good WRs available every year in free agency that are too easy to get and young WRs have too little impact on the game and too much of a chance of a bust to be worth a first round pick. Look at all the really good coaches...guys who are known as "gurus" and "icons". How often do they ever waste first round picks on WRs? I can't think of many. Hell, I don't think Belichick or Parcells either have EVER taken a WR round 1. ****tard organizations like the lions do it every year. That oughta tell you something.

Every year there are several Eddie Kennsison type guys available though. Guys who you thought were a bust that you can pick up for cheap. Charles Rogers is likely to be on that list next year. Freddie Mitchell is on it this year and so was Peter Warrick and a couple of other high profile guys. You never know with a guy(s) like that. As a WR nothing happens until someone throws you the ball. If you got a quarterback who doesn't like you and doesn't throw you the ball or can't throw you the ball (Peerless Price) then that might be a big reason why you've been labeled as a bust.

Chiefnj
10-15-2005, 10:06 AM
There are too many good WRs available every year in free agency that are too easy to get and young WRs have too little impact on the game and too much of a chance of a bust to be worth a first round pick. Look at all the really good coaches...guys who are known as "gurus" and "icons". How often do they ever waste first round picks on WRs? I can't think of many. Hell, I don't think Belichick or Parcells either have EVER taken a WR round 1. ****tard organizations like the lions do it every year. That oughta tell you something.

Every year there are several Eddie Kennsison type guys available though. Guys who you thought were a bust that you can pick up for cheap. Charles Rogers is likely to be on that list next year. Freddie Mitchell is on it this year. You never know with a guy like that. As a WR nothing happens until someone throws you the ball. If you got a quarterback who doesn't like you and doesn't throw you the ball then that might be a big reason why you've been labeled as a bust.

When Parcells was head coach they took Terry Glenn and Mark Ingram in the 1st. He's got a bunch of 2nd round WR's as well.

He took over the Jets the year after they drafted Keyshawn and grew fond of the guy, so much he brought him to Dallas.

RedThat
10-15-2005, 10:09 AM
We should draft in this order next year:

RD 1. DT-Even despite the bad luck here, the Chiefs most definately have to take a Defensive tackle first, that is their biggest liability more than OL, and WR. It is so evident in all the games weve played this year, our defensive tackles get mauled at the line of scrimmage, and cant even establish a push up the middle. One of the reasons why our pass defense is not very good because it not only allows the QB time to throw, but, it allows the QB to step up and make a throw down field. This weakness outweighs OL, and WR. It also makes the addition of Patrick Surtain look not so good. We must address the D-Line issues first. It all starts with the DTs. Our ends are ok. It is the Defensive tackles that are not good. Draft a DT with passrushing abilitiy.

RD 2. WR-Sammie Parker is not looking so good right now. Even though their is still a long season ahead, and Im willing to give him time. His time to shine is now. Waay too many easy dropped passes. If he continues to drop passes, hes not the answer for the #2 WR position. It may be a wise choice to select a WR in rd 2 of the 2006 NFL draft.

RD 3. OT-Ok we are more than likely to lose Willie Roaf at the end of the season. If we can, Id prefer to sign an OT in free agency, then having to draft one. I think Jordan Black can be a fine player, not a Willie Roaf. I do have more confidence in him than I do in Sammie Parker, or Lional Dalton, John Browning. OT remains a concern, I still think OT doesnt outweigh our weaknesses at DT, and WR. DT and WR are GLARING weaknesses on this team, and we need to address them in the draft, or free agency next year.

Mr. Laz
10-15-2005, 10:15 AM

RD 1. DT-Even despite the bad luck here, the Chiefs most definately have to take a Defensive tackle first, that is their biggest liability more than OL, and WR.
you think that DT is a bigger need than DE?

think about all the containment problems and lack of sacks from that position. The fact that Hicks is starting should just make most chiefs fans just wanna puke.

Doesn't look like Allen has improved much this year.

both DT and DE are needs ... imo DE is the bigger at the moment.

RedThat
10-15-2005, 10:31 AM
you think that DT is a bigger need than DE?

think about all the containment problems and lack of sacks from that position. The fact that Hicks is starting should just make most chiefs fans just wanna puke.

Doesn't look like Allen has improved much this year.

both DT and DE are needs ... imo DE is the bigger at the moment.

Umm yeah but not by much. Our DTs are weaker than DEs. Mind you that is not saying much. I can at least say, our DEs do try to get around, not by much, but they do try. Our DTs, just get mauled at the LOS.

I hear ya about Hicks. Im not a fan of him either. Hes pourous. I give Allen some credit, at least he tries, and has a motor. He does have 2 sacks this year. Should have 3, but, at least he is the only one on this line that has some fire, and passrush ability. I know our DEs are not that good at containment, I agree with you. Im in for a new DL overhaul

:shake:

Mr. Laz
10-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Im in for a new DL overhaul
:clap:

ILChief
10-15-2005, 10:41 AM
i think we need a left tackle, defensive tackle, defensive end, and quarterback(not necessarily in that order) before a WR.

Deberg_1990
10-15-2005, 10:46 AM
. Im in for a new DL overhaul

:shake:

Count me in as well. A complete D-Line overhaul. Whats sad is, at least the Chiefs have tried, but have failed. Sims, Freeman, Dalton, Siavii.....

Skip Towne
10-15-2005, 10:57 AM
I say we convert to the Wishbone offense. Then we won't need WR's or QB's. Our personnel fits this offense well.

Extra Point
10-15-2005, 12:31 PM
And hire Barry Switzer to coach it?

RedThat
10-15-2005, 02:04 PM
And hire Barry Switzer to coach it?

That would be the ultimate f*ck up. It would actually make the job Carl is doing now, look good.

Thig Lyfe
10-15-2005, 02:11 PM

Who the hell would pass up Santonio Holmes at that spot?

Frankie
10-15-2005, 02:29 PM
That last name is vaguely familiar. Good name for the Chiefs. Hope he can live up to it if we draft him.

milkman
10-15-2005, 08:09 PM
If Vermeil stays on another year (god forbid) I don't want us taking another defensive linemen. Take a WR.

Otherwise, D-line all the way. Probably defensive tackle.

Hell, I'd be willing to trade our whole draft away if it gauranteed that Dick doesn't come back.

Tribal Warfare
10-15-2005, 10:12 PM

RD 3. I think Jordan Black can be a fine player, not a Willie Roaf. I do have more confidence in him than I do in Sammie Parker, or Lional Dalton, John Browning. OT remains a concern, I still think OT doesnt outweigh our weaknesses at DT, and WR. DT and WR are GLARING weaknesses on this team, and we need to address them in the draft, or free agency next year.

I disagree with this statement Black is a backup RT at best he doesn't have the feet , or the power to play LT. He was owned by Trevor Pryce and Jevon Kearse to hang in the NFL you have to hang with the best, and Jordan can't plain and simple.

Therefore, I believe it's imperative to obtain a top flight OL in the draft, and their's no indication that will be available in FA. For this fact I would suspect that KC will go for Marcus McNeil out of Auburn a or Jonathan Scott OT for Texas.

Hammock Parties
10-15-2005, 10:14 PM
I think Black is a solid starting RT. Not Pro Bowl material but good.

Mecca
10-15-2005, 10:16 PM

It's just about who you prefer, of Chad Jackson and Santonio Holmes, Holmes is more polished. But Jacksons got more natural talent, he's got track type speed. Not to mention some draft sites love Jackson because he was something like the 2nd best rated player coming out of high school.

HolmeZz
10-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Chad's got more height too.

HolmeZz
10-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Count me in as well. A complete D-Line overhaul. Whats sad is, at least the Chiefs have tried, but have failed. Sims, Freeman, Dalton, Siavii.....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Mecca
10-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Chad's got more height too.

I think either one of those guys would be a perfect fit for the offense we're currently running. Question is well, will we still be running this same offense next year?

HolmeZz
10-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Santonio's probably a guy who benefits more from a particular system. I think Chad could be good in most offenses.

Mecca
10-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Santonio's probably a guy who benefits more from a particular system. I think Chad could be good in most offenses.

I agree with that. All I'll say about this is, considering the purge of players this team will go through after this year. They should be looking to take the best players regardless of position. There are going to be alot of holes and it will be time to start the rebuilding phase. We aren't going to be 1 or 2 positions away where you target this guy at this position for your board.