PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your coffee?

alnorth
10-15-2005, 11:45 AM
After graduating college, the early starts every morning have driven me to the mysterious world of coffee to wake my ass up. I'm trying different "roasts", "blends", sugars, creams, etc to try to figure out my tastes and figured I'd take a sampling from the planet.

Deberg_1990
10-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Like I like my women.

nychief
10-15-2005, 11:47 AM
wow. This board has hit rock bottom.

icepick64
10-15-2005, 11:47 AM
whole bean kona coffee, grind in the morning and put a lil sweet condensed milk, repeat 3x, perfect.

luv
10-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Non-existant. :Lin:

1st & Goal
10-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Never have been a coffee drinker...give me a Dew and that'll get me started early.

Calcountry
10-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Has anyone tried that new "Tassimo" machine. It looks very interesting. :D

Hammock Parties
10-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Coffee sucks ass. Just snort some coke.

Thig Lyfe
10-15-2005, 01:06 PM
"I like my coffee how I like my women. Strong, black, and proud."
http://x1.putfile.com/7/20121325171.jpg

ZepSinger
10-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Millstone, Kona, specialty coffees at Whole Foods, Roasterie, and yes, some Starbucks- I'm kind of a snob when it comes to my java.

JBucc
10-15-2005, 01:12 PM
I like it good tastin

cdcox
10-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Definitely black. And definitely unflavored. I like a bold coffee, but not an extremely dark roast, which tastes burnt to me. In order of preference 95% of the coffe I drink comes from one of these sources:

1. Starbucks (Sumatran is my absolute favorite)
2. Sumatran or some other high-end bean freshly ground and brewed in my French press at home
3. 50-50 mix of regular and dark roast at the convenience store (their base coffee is above average)
4. Campus sandwhich shop. Thier brew is an extremely hot, watery cup of Folgers. Not great, but acceptable for an afternoon cup of Joe.

Skip Towne
10-15-2005, 01:27 PM
I really like it.

Spicy McHaggis
10-15-2005, 01:28 PM
2. Sumatran or some other high-end bean freshly ground and brewed in my French press at home

Costa Rica has some excellent coffee too. My roommates bring me some every time they go back to see their family.

I had an awesome blend in Colorado called the "art of darkness" that was Costa Rican. I wish I had bought a lot more to bring back.

Reaper16
10-15-2005, 01:32 PM
I'm more of a tea person myself.

Bwana
10-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Like I like my women.

You like cottage cheese in your coffee? :eek:

Miles
10-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Dark roast with nothing else in it. Made in a press if I have time.

Calcountry
10-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Well its 4:00p.m. out here on the West Coast, and its hypoglycemic time. Which means its time to throw out the half pot of boiled down remainder coffee and brew a fresh pot to get down the home stretch of the final day of a busy, hectic work week.

Bunn Automatic coffee maker, so it will be ready to drink in just under 3 minutes. Folgers coffee.

Calcountry
10-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Alhambra bottled spring water from the Sierra Nevada's, I forgot to mention that. I had to go throw another 5 gallon jug on my dispenser, that always sucks when you have to do that prior to making a pot. The things I'll do for a good cup o joe.

Calcountry
10-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Poured me an 8 oz cup, splash of coffee mate original creamer, you can't skimp on creamer, there is a difference.

Jenson71
01-15-2009, 09:28 AM
I put some milk or half and half in it.

Baby Lee
01-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Sumatra, Peaberry. Kind of falls halfway between dark roast and expensive stuff. If I can't find a deal on Starbucks, Trader Joes has more than adequate offerings.

My parents love, and have converted me to, TJ's Winter Blend. 'Spiced' as opposed to flavored, with nutmeg and, of all things, black pepper. I'd have never thought to throw peppercorns into a tin of coffee beans, but it truly rocks. Just polished off a half a pot.

Basileus777
01-15-2009, 09:35 AM
I don't drink coffee. Coke suffices for my caffeine needs.

Baby Lee
01-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Alhambra bottled spring water from the Sierra Nevada's, I forgot to mention that. I had to go throw another 5 gallon jug on my dispenser, that always sucks when you have to do that prior to making a pot. The things I'll do for a good cup o joe.

My Cuisinart has a charcoal filter, very nice.

Katipan
01-15-2009, 09:40 AM
I love the smell, and hate the taste.

I'll take diet coke in the morning, although I really want to know what listopencil posted that was too rauchy.

Baby Lee
01-15-2009, 09:41 AM

I'll take diet coke in the morning, although I really want to know what listopencil posted that was too rauchy.

If I had to guess, it'd be extending the 'like my women' metaphor to some licentious ends.

eazyb81
01-15-2009, 09:43 AM
I've never understood why putting cream and sugar in coffee to make it taste better is wimpy, but that's what I do.

Katipan
01-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Because the blacker the coffee the stronger it's considered?

JUST LIKE WOMEN!

bluehawkdoc
01-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Dark roast with nothing else in it. Made in a press if I have time.

I'm with you, Miles. The wife got a french press over the holidays and the coffee tastes outstanding. Not enough though!:grr:

PastorMikH
01-15-2009, 09:48 AM
I usually go for Hazelnut flavor beans ground fresh, then served black. Occasionally I'll pickup another flavor, for example this morning I'm working on a pot of Holliday Peppermint.

luv
01-15-2009, 09:50 AM
I usually go for Hazelnut flavor beans ground fresh, then served black. Occasionally I'll pickup another flavor, for example this morning I'm working on a pot of Holliday Peppermint.

Whoa. Who are you? :p

ziggysocki
01-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Interstate truck stop coffee at 3 am is the best. Keeps your ass awake for hours, and doubles as oil should your engine need lubrication.

DaKCMan AP
01-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Hardly ever drink coffee, but when I do: with a shot of Baileys.

Delano
01-15-2009, 09:53 AM
My Cuisinart has a charcoal filter, very nice.

Which Cuisinart do you use?

Do you have a Cuisinart grinder as well? If so, what type and do you recommend it.

As for my coffee interests, I like a medium roast without any additives.

I got a tin of Archer Farms reserve Sulawesi Toraja for Christmas. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality from Target.

When I have time I use my fucking awesome Frieling french press, but most days its the Cuisinart DCC-1200.

DJ's left nut
01-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Whole Bean Blue Mountain coffee if I have time to make it in the morning, preferably in the french press. If I run out of it and can't find any local, I'll just buy the Starbuck breakfast blend at Sams, which isn't half bad. My coffee brewer is also a cuisinart with the charcoal filter, they're pretty slick. Much easier than the press, but not quite as good.

Black most of the time, if I overbrew it I'll put in a splash of milk to cut that burnt coffee taste (those of you that have purchased coffee from McDonalds or an actual starbucks stand will recognize this flavor). Always use more beans than the packaging calls for, it's when you use too few beans and have to brew them longer that you get the tanins and other misc. lousy tasting crap out of the beans and into the brew. I'll use roughly 1.5 times the recommended amount.

If I don't have the time to make it the folgers swill at my office will do until I can get out at lunch and grab a coke.

kc rush
01-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Black and strong. We have a Keurig machine (which we bought for next to nothing after Christmas last year) and Emeril has a blend for that which I really like.

The coffee here at work tastes like little more than warm water, blah.

Dr. Johnny Fever
01-15-2009, 09:59 AM
When I used to do a morning show I would go through 3 pots by 10am every day. I started as soon as I got to work about 4am and it just kept goin down. I think that's what made for an energetic show... heh.

Now that I'm doing managment and afternoons on air it's down to a pot... pot and a half a day.

But I am a wimp and use creamer and sweetener. I like taste.

Donger
01-15-2009, 10:03 AM
I like my coffee in the liquid form.

Jenson71
01-15-2009, 10:07 AM
I like my coffee in the liquid form.

That's how I like my women.

kindra68
01-15-2009, 10:18 AM
i like Gevalia. Just bought a bag of Signature Blend, Breakfast Blend, and Rainforrest Organic.
oh and i put just a bit of sugar in it.

Baby Lee
01-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Which Cuisinart do you use?

Do you have a Cuisinart grinder as well? If so, what type and do you recommend it.

As for my coffee interests, I like a medium roast without any additives.

I got a tin of Archer Farms reserve Sulawesi Toraja for Christmas. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality from Target.

When I have time I use my ****ing awesome Frieling french press, but most days its the Cuisinart DCC-1200.
The Charlie Harper special, eh.

I have the DGB 500, grinder, but not a burr grinder. Love it, except clenaing the grinder, plastic with lots of nooks and crannies to get coffee dust out of.

Frazod
01-15-2009, 10:31 AM
I hate coffee. I hate the smell and the taste. So when I drink it (only in the morning, and only for the caffeine) I put as much shit in it as I can to mask the flavor. From Starbucks, I generally get them to add the vanilla syrup.

I'd sooner drink a cup of piss than black coffee.

Baby Lee
01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
I hate coffee. I hate the smell and the taste. So when I drink it (only in the morning, and only for the caffeine) I put as much shit in it as I can to mask the flavor. From Starbucks, I generally get them to add the vanilla syrup.

I'd sooner drink a cup of piss than black coffee.

You ought to team up with DCS, who'd ostensibly rather eat feces on toast than an Outback steak, and make a reality show.

Frazod
01-15-2009, 11:07 AM
You ought to team up with DCS, who'd ostensibly rather eat feces on toast than an Outback steak, and make a reality show.

Outback is overrated, but I definitely have no problem eating their steaks.

SLAG
01-15-2009, 11:08 AM
I was never much of a coffee drinker, but the Mrs. Is.... but after working in this office for the past 6-7mo or so, I have had a couple of cups in the mornings and I have enjoyed it

I used to put 3 Cream and 3 Sugar in my coffee, then during confession the priest suggested to "Mortify" my self, to help build temperance to only put one cream or one sugar in the coffee, small little things like that to deny my self the pleasures of this world to grow in Holiness

Well I am now at the point where I dont put anything in the coffee, it started as the mortifications but now its just Normal, so I guess I should talk to him to see what to do next, he will probably tell me to say my morning prayers while kneeling on my hands.....

Delano
01-15-2009, 11:12 AM
I was never much of a coffee drinker, but the Mrs. Is.... but after working in this office for the past 6-7mo or so, I have had a couple of cups in the mornings and I have enjoyed it

I used to put 3 Cream and 3 Sugar in my coffee, then during confession the priest suggested to "Mortify" my self, to help build temperance to only put one cream or one sugar in the coffee, small little things like that to deny my self the pleasures of this world to grow in Holiness

Well I am now at the point where I dont put anything in the coffee, it started as the mortifications but now its just Normal, so I guess I should talk to him to see what to do next, he will probably tell me to say my morning prayers while kneeling on my hands.....

Bizarre.

Saulbadguy
01-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Like I like my women.

Ground up, and in the freezer?

Baby Lee
01-15-2009, 11:14 AM

That's the part of anti-evolution I REALLY never understood. It's like, eons of natural selection has created a finely tuned set of senses to tell you that pleasurable things are to be savored and unpleasurable things eschewed. And your response is, my body's visceral responses are WRONG!!!
I understand that your bodily responses may send you astray [the biological imperative to store energy leading to satiation from empty calories], but to steadfastly hold that negative biological responses are morally superior to postive ones is just as dogmatically detrimental in the other direction.

Saulbadguy
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM

Stupidest thing ever posted on this board.

Katipan
01-15-2009, 11:19 AM
That's the part of anti-evolution I REALLY never understood. It's like, eons of natural selection has created a finely tuned set of senses to tell you that pleasurable things are to be savored and unpleasurable things eschewed. And your response is, my body's visceral responses are WRONG!!!
I understand that your bodily responses may send you astray [the biological imperative to store energy leading to satiation from empty calories], but to steadfastly hold that negative biological responses are morally superior to postive ones is just as dogmatically detrimental in the other direction.

Then for one to be sensorally morally superior we would have to return to our roots of uncooked meat and poor digestion?

I'm always down for a cave man to hit me over the head and drag me off to his lair by my hair.

Baby Lee
01-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Then for one to be sensorally morally superior we would have to return to our roots of uncooked meat and poor digestion?

I'm always down for a cave man to hit me over the head and drag me off to his lair by my hair.

This nightshade is . . . delicious.

SLAG
01-15-2009, 11:21 AM

I disagree
My response is NOT that the visceral responses are "Wrong" but rather, I use my free will and deny my self something pleasurable, I will the discomfort and move out side of my comfort zone, so that I can instill in myself some self control , and I have seen the difference in other areas of my life.

Source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10578b.htm
Mortification, viewed thus as a means of curing bad habits and implanting good ones, has its recognized place in the methods even of those who are engaged in pursuing purely natural ends. What is peculiar to Christian mortification is, that it relies for the attainment of its spiritual objects, not merely on this natural efficacy of its methods, but still more on the aids of divine grace, for which, by its earnestness in self-discipline and the Christian motive which inspires it, it can plead so powerfully with God. And here, as further contributing to increase it spiritual efficacy, another motive for which it is practiced comes in. It is practiced likewise as an expiation for past sins and shortcomings, for it is the belief of the Catholic Church, that, although only the Atonement of Christ can offer adequate expiation for the sins of men, men ought not to make that an excuse for doing nothing themselves, but should rather take it as an incentive to add their own expiations to the extent of their power, and should regard such personal expiations as very pleasing to God. This explains why many of the mortifications practiced by devout persons are not directly curative of evil propensities, but take the form of painful exercise and privations self-inflicted because they are painful, e.g., fastings, hard beds, abstention from lawful pleasures, etc. Not that these external mortifications are of themselves available, for spiritual writers never tire of insisting that the internal mortification or pride and self-love in their various forms are essential, but that external penances are good only so far as they spring from this internal spirit, and react by promoting it

Saulbadguy
01-15-2009, 11:22 AM
This nightshade is . . . delicious.

This ginger is making me...THIRSTY!

Delano
01-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Black coffee and self-flagellation make for a holy individual.

Donger
01-15-2009, 11:27 AM

Holy sh*t.

Thig Lyfe
01-15-2009, 11:29 AM

WTF

Buck
01-15-2009, 11:38 AM
If I'm drinking a good coffee out of a French Press, I'll take it black.

But if its the folgers or Maxwell House out of the work coffee pot, you better believe that I'm mixing something in there.

Katipan
01-15-2009, 11:39 AM
What would Jesus drink?

SLAG
01-15-2009, 11:40 AM
What would Jesus drink?

Probably Turkish Coffee in a tiny little cup

Basileus777
01-15-2009, 12:02 PM
What would Jesus drink?

Wine.

JuicesFlowing
01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Like I like my women.

Hot, black, and sweet? I prefer black with some sugar. Sometimes just black and strong. Oh, I'm talking about coffee, not women.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-30-2009, 05:51 PM
I believe in Ranger Coffee.

If it can't jump out of the cup, do 20 push-ups and then jump back into the cup, it ain't strong enough yet.

Dave Lane
01-30-2009, 05:53 PM
I make my own but barring that Starbucks. Vanilla Latte...

kysirsoze
01-30-2009, 05:58 PM
I drink Starbucks but not because I'm rich. Quite the opposite. I worked there for over a year and stockpiled so much free coffee that 2 years later I'm still drinking it. Not at its freshest but removed from being a Starbucks emplyee, I'm not that picky.

kstater
01-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Holy sh*t.

WTF

Fucking amazing isn't it?

I get up at 4:30 have 3 cups of Folgers dark roast(1 hefty scoop per cup), black.

theorangelion
01-30-2009, 06:08 PM
I like my coffee like I like my women. Hot Black and with a shot of Irish Cream:p

Buck
01-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Earlier I posted that if I'm drinking the shit we have at work I add cream to it, but now I drink it straight black only.

IM ADDICTED YOU SEE

KCChiefsMan
01-30-2009, 06:22 PM
black. I kind of like the stuff at Costco, I usually just buy one of those huge tins of Kirkland ground coffee there. $12-15 I can't remember exactly and will last me a month

cdcox
01-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Definitely black. And definitely unflavored. I like a bold coffee, but not an extremely dark roast, which tastes burnt to me. In order of preference 95% of the coffe I drink comes from one of these sources:

1. Starbucks (Sumatran is my absolute favorite)
3. 50-50 mix of regular and dark roast at the convenience store (their base coffee is above average)
4. Campus sandwhich shop. Thier brew is an extremely hot, watery cup of Folgers. Not great, but acceptable for an afternoon cup of Joe.

Funny how things change over 3 years.

1. Hardly ever get Starbucks anymore.
2. I usually buy Kroger Breakfast Blend whole bean for my grider and French press these days. Excellent cup and about $3 a pound cheaper than the high end coffees.
3. I'm now going 90-10 mix on regular/dark roast at the convenience store. I don't even remember being at 50-50.
4. The sandwich shop got a new coffee maker and it isn't as hot. This is a good thing because it used to be too hot to drink.

My world is upside down compared to the way I used to get my coffee.

Craqhead
01-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Black w/ out a thang in it.

Mr. Laz
01-30-2009, 06:30 PM
i don't

unless i need more caffeine than a coke provides

Bowser
01-30-2009, 06:32 PM

Yep. I've always been this way with coffee.

theorangelion
01-30-2009, 06:39 PM
i don't

unless i need more caffeine than a coke provides

Coffee has twice the caffeine than coke.

Mr. Laz
01-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Coffee has twice the caffeine than coke.
exactly which is why i only drink coffee IF i need more caffeine than a coke provides.

quick uber caffeine = coffee

otherwise ... meh

after a cup of coffee, your mouth tastes like you just ate ass.

Predarat
01-30-2009, 06:56 PM
I like mine stong and black, prefreably Columbian or Italian roast.