PDA

View Full Version : charlie weis has our head coach next year?

Mr. Laz
10-15-2005, 03:41 PM
he sure has the irish focused and playing well

he's an offensive guy, but the defense and special teams are going too

besides wouldn't it be fun to break the hearts of all the irish faithful by taking away their coach. :p

HolmeZz
10-15-2005, 03:46 PM
He's not going anywhere.

Mr. Laz
10-15-2005, 03:48 PM
He's not going anywhere.

why is that?

you don't think he wants a NFL head coaching job?

HolmeZz
10-15-2005, 03:49 PM
He didn't take the Notre Dame job so he could leave after one year.

tk13
10-15-2005, 03:50 PM
I would be stunned if he left after one year.

HolmeZz
10-15-2005, 03:51 PM
As involved as he's been with the University and as much as he's become the face of ND, I think he's in it for the long haul.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-15-2005, 03:56 PM
He'd be better off in the pros. Why waste your coaching skillzzzzz on Notre Dame? hehe

tk13
10-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Well I think his previous ties to the university play a big part in that. That's the real reason I think he'll stay. It'd take a lot of money to pry him away I'd think, and I'm not sure of that even, because ND has the money to match anything the NFL has to offer.

Skip Towne
10-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Well I think his previous ties to the university play a big part in that. That's the real reason I think he'll stay. It'd take a lot of money to pry him away I'd think, and I'm not sure of that even, because ND has the money to match anything the NFL has to offer.
I don't know anything about this particular situation but hasn't ND had a hell of a time getting a winning coach for what 15 years or so? It must not be that great of a job.

tk13
10-15-2005, 04:05 PM
I don't know anything about this particular situation but hasn't ND had a hell of a time getting a winning coach for what 15 years or so? It must not be that great of a job.
They've had winning coaches. They've had winning teams, but at ND they obviously want championships. I think it's been harder for them to recruit because high school kids don't see ND as a place they can use to go to the NFL. I think Weis can change that attitude because he obviously came from a successful NFL team.

Money shouldn't be an issue though. If you win, you'll get paid. ND makes so much money off football, just simply based off the fact they're the only school in the country to have their own exclusive TV contract, with NBC no less... they rake in the money.

Skip Towne
10-15-2005, 04:10 PM
They've had winning coaches. They've had winning teams, but at ND they obviously want championships. I think it's been harder for them to recruit because high school kids don't see ND as a place they can use to go to the NFL. I think Weis can change that attitude because he obviously came from a successful NFL team.

Money shouldn't be an issue though. If you win, you'll get paid. ND makes so much money off football, just simply based off the fact they're the only school in the country to have their own exclusive TV contract, with NBC no less... they rake in the money.
I don't remember them doing much winning lately and they haven't even sniffed a championship. When was the last bowl game they won? Also, a few years back I read where ND wouldn't agree to a road game unless they were guaranteed one fourth of the seats for their fans. They have all the advantages is why I love to see them get beat.

leviw
10-15-2005, 04:12 PM
charlie weis has our head coach next year?

He ate Al Saunders? :shrug:

Jim Jones
10-15-2005, 04:22 PM
If he leaves ND why would he come here? He'd wait for a job opening like the Patriots or Cowboys, maybe Packers.

Straight, No Chaser
10-15-2005, 04:36 PM
he sure has the irish focused and playing well

he's an offensive guy, but the defense and special teams are going too

besides wouldn't it be fun to break the hearts of all the irish faithful by taking away their coach. :p

Why even post this thread?
There's more of a chance you'd have a tasteful, G-Rated avatar and sig than that ever happening.

--->

Ebolapox
10-15-2005, 05:41 PM
he's just like roy williams--he'd never leave his dream job... errrr.... sorry bout' that, nevermind

-EB-...:D

Ebolapox
10-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Why even post this thread?
There's more of a chance you'd have a tasteful, G-Rated avatar and sig than that ever happening.

--->

what are you, gay??

-EB-

Mr. Laz
10-24-2005, 02:21 PM
what are you, gay??

-EB-
looks like he is ... nttawwt

Brock
10-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Nice dream, but back to reality...

BigRedChief
10-24-2005, 02:46 PM

$1.5 million buy out and he can sign with any team he chooses.

Brock
10-24-2005, 02:47 PM

And there would be bigger market teams with more money that would hire him before KC.

BigRedChief
10-24-2005, 02:49 PM
And there would be bigger market teams with more money that would hire him before KC.
Probably but not a done deal. We got $3-5 million to throw at him.

tk13
10-24-2005, 02:57 PM
If he wants to leave... this isn't picking out groceries in the store, the cabbage has to want to jump in your shopping cart here. If he wanted to be an NFL head coach why didn't he just go for it? Somebody would've hired him... it's not like he's not respected in the league, but he chose to go to Notre Dame. I'd guess I'd just be very surprised if he chose to leave after one year of getting his feet wet... maybe down the road, sure, but I can't imagine right now. And ND and the alumni have the money to match anything the NFL throws at him anyway... I'd betcha ND makes more money off of football than the Chiefs do.

BigRedChief
10-24-2005, 03:07 PM
If he wants to leave... this isn't picking out groceries in the store, the cabbage has to want to jump in your shopping cart here. If he wanted to be an NFL head coach why didn't he just go for it? Somebody would've hired him... it's not like he's not respected in the league, but he chose to go to Notre Dame. I'd guess I'd just be very surprised if he chose to leave after one year of getting his feet wet... maybe down the road, sure, but I can't imagine right now. And ND and the alumni have the money to match anything the NFL throws at him anyway... I'd betcha ND makes more money off of football than the Chiefs do.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8994211
(Oct. 22, 2005) -- At least one NFL team has found out that it won't need the luck of the Irish to lure away Charlie Weis from Notre Dame.
Weis' six-year contract at Notre Dame includes a modest $1.5 million buyout, a number that caused one NFL head coach to remark this week, "That's it?"
That's it. The buyout means that, despite the fact that he has one of the country's most heralded recruiting classes coming in next season, Weis has positioned himself to leave Notre Dame after this season for the NFL if he so chooses.
http://images.nfl.com/photos/img8994235.jpg Charlie Weis' buyout at Notre Dame is not a deal-breaker. And he might. Should Weis cap Notre Dame's impressive season with a win over Tennessee and then another win in a major bowl game, he could vault himself into the No. 1 coaching prospect on the radar of NFL owners. As it is now, he already is way up there. One team, and quite possibly more, have been quietly investigating Weis behind the scenes, and finding out what kind of head coach he would be, and they love him. NFL opportunities will be there for him. This doesn't mean he is going; it just means it is under consideration. But this is a developing situation sure to get lots of attention in the weeks to come.
There certainly are going to be enough openings at the NFL level. Some NFL executives expect there to be 10 to 13 head coaching changes this offseason, a number derived from the percentages.
On average, there are six and a half coaching changes per year and 13 every two years. Last season, there were only three. That would mean there could be, minimum, 10 this offseason, though there could be more. And Weis' name will be linked to some -- guaranteed.

tk13
10-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Weis has positioned himself to leave Notre Dame after this season for the NFL if he so chooses.

Eleazar
10-24-2005, 03:14 PM
yeah... he could have been in the NFL this year if he wanted. Don't see what else he had to prove.

BigRedChief
10-24-2005, 03:18 PM
yeah... he could have been in the NFL this year if he wanted. Don't see what else he had to prove.

That he could be a "Head Coach" in the NFL.

sedated
10-24-2005, 03:24 PM
He's a ND alumn, no chance of him leaving without being thrown out.

Weis even agreed to be their coach before the NFL season was over, which never happens.

Better to ask the question, "Peyton Manning as our QB next year?"

Fairplay
10-24-2005, 03:29 PM
ND makes so much money off football, just simply based off the fact they're the only school in the country to have their own exclusive TV contract, with NBC no less... they rake in the money.

Thats why i don't like the fightin irish.

Even in their bad years they subject themselves on television year after year.

I laugh when they lose, especially a couple weekends ago.

HolmeZz
10-24-2005, 04:44 PM
That he could be a "Head Coach" in the NFL.

College success doesn't mean NFL success.

B_Ambuehl
10-24-2005, 05:52 PM
To my recollection, New England struggled on offense the majority of the time he was OC. They picked up Corey Dillon and he rushed for 1600 yards last year. They had a slew of fast receivers and a quarterback that can get them the ball. Right now he's coaching Willingham's recruits.

From a coaching standpoint I don't see the hype. From a fans standpoint it makes perfect sense.

SCTrojan
10-24-2005, 06:19 PM
From what I remember, no teams wanted to wait until the Patriots' season ended to hire Weis as a coach. For some reason, Cleveland was willing to wait for Romeo Crennel. Weis took the ND job, at least in part, because no NFL team wanted to wait until after the Super Bowl to hire him. ND was willing to wait.

I don't know if Weis would leave next year or not, but I think he wants to coach in the NFL eventually. IMO

Skip Towne
10-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Bob Stoops won a NC with John Blake's recruits. He hasn't done nearly so well with his own. I doubt this is lost on an old hand like Weis. Coaches change jobs. It comes with the job.

BigRedChief
10-24-2005, 07:37 PM
College success doesn't mean NFL success.

He's an admitted ND fan. Don't listen to him on this subject.:p