PDA

View Full Version : Dewayne Washington and Greg Wesley...

TRR
10-16-2005, 08:23 PM
I really thought our pass D improved when Washington came in for Dexter McCleon today. Washington seemed to be more physical at the line of scrimmage, and basically played fundamental football. I'm not as hard on McCleon as some are here, but he was awful today. If he wasn't getting beat, he was being called for penalties. If Warfield isn't ready to go next weekend, then I'd like to see Washington get a shot opposite Surtain. It can't be much worse...

Greg Wesley needs to pull his head out of his rear, and start playing some football. The angle he took on that 70+ yard TD catch and run was absolutely ridiculous. A high schooler wouldn't take that angle. He looks kind of lost in pass coverage, and he's not the blitzer he was before. For example, he blitzed from the left side (right side of the D) and had a free run at Brunell. For some reason, he stopped, and didn't even get his hands up. He basically stopped, and ducked. The ball went right over his head. The INT of his was a great play (why does Surtain release the WR at the end of a route, instead of running with him till the end?), but it seems like he makes two bad plays to one good play.

Thoughts?

P.S: What's with Scanlon getting another penalty on special teams? ROFL (Just kidding Roy's...)

irishjayhawk
10-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Agreed. Even if Washington is only a half step upgrade from McCleon, it is still an upgrade. That said, Washington is no Warfield.

Deberg_1990
10-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Agreed. Washington is no world beater, but it did appear better to me when he was in there as opposed to McCleon. Wesley cant cover to save his life. He never did. I want all the defenders from 2002-2004 gone. I wont be happy until Wesley and McCleon are gone.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-16-2005, 08:27 PM
someone please get Surtain a new helmet/helmet strap

KCFANinNC
10-16-2005, 08:33 PM
I agree. I wan not happy about the injury, but I liked that he got off the field.

crazychiefsfan
10-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Didn't Wesley have a blocked pass. We need Warfeild.

Lonewolf Ed
10-16-2005, 08:43 PM
someone please get Surtain a new helmet/helmet strap

You've been noticing that, too, huh? It seems like if the Chiefs have to play on a very windy day, Surtain's helmet is going to sail out into the parking lot. That thing just does not stay on!

jettio
10-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Wesley has been fabulous this year.

The shot that he put on Cartwright earlier in the drive was what made Cartwright cut the next play to that side towards the middle of the field where Woods and Allen popped him for the fumble that Knight returned.

Wesley did seem to take a bad angle on the Moss TD, but he has been very good this year.

SLAG
10-16-2005, 09:08 PM
McCleon hurt?- Washington VS Warfield? Coach says Washington Coach Was Right Washington Stepped Up.

Wesley not playing so good?-

Saw some good things, saw some bad things,... Lets Get Jerome Woods In Lets see what he can do he wants to play.

TRR
10-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Wesley has been fabulous this year.

The shot that he put on Cartwright earlier in the drive was what made Cartwright cut the next play to that side towards the middle of the field where Woods and Allen popped him for the fumble that Knight returned.

Wesley did seem to take a bad angle on the Moss TD, but he has been very good this year.

Wesley has been struggling since the season started. For every 1 play he makes, he'll make 2 bad one's. He is constantly out of position in the passing game, and as a FS, especially with McCleon on that side of the field, you cannot be out of position. Wesley has always been a decent tackler, but like I said, he cannot be taking angles to the football like he did today.

I'm willing to give Wesley the "it's a new position" excuse, but Woods is a decent player, and he plays fundamental football. Something that Wesley hasn't been doing.

tonyetony
10-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Gibbs post game said the Chiefs secondary stepped it up when Washington came in.hmmmmmmmm funny how that coincides with dexters departure.

Hammock Parties
10-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Woods is a decent player, and he plays fundamental football.

ROFL

Dawson4004
10-16-2005, 09:24 PM
I agree, Washington played well (even though he got burned on the last play where Knight came over and knocked the ball away) when he came in for Dexter. But thats not saying much because Dexter is about as bad a corner there is in the NFL.

Wesley is horrible, I have thought so all last season, and so far he has done nothing to prove to me that he is any where near the level he used to play before he got his money. I say put Woods or Bartee back there instead.

Warfield needs to start next week with Washington in the nickel and Dexter in the Dime. But I am sure DV will have some excuse why Warfield cant play.

Oh well, we are 3-2.....big game at Miami...a game playoff teams win.

brent102fire
10-16-2005, 09:47 PM
I have a feeling Warfield is going to be the nickel all year. McCleon must have some serious dirt on DV to get the starting CB job without being able to cover a turtle.

Dr. Chief
10-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Woods??? He is done, he can't even play on special teams without getting penalized. I don't see how you can say Wesley is having a terrible year. We aren't getting beat deep in these games, it's the dink and dunk game that's killing us, that and every pass going to McCleons side.

BigRedChief
10-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Washington was taught coverage skills by Bartee. Has to be. Neither turn their heads.

Warfield better be starting next week.

Allen saved their ass this week.

Mecca
10-16-2005, 11:42 PM
I have a feeling Warfield is going to be the nickel all year. McCleon must have some serious dirt on DV to get the starting CB job without being able to cover a turtle.

You missed the thread that talks about how Vermiel wanted to activate Warfield but Gun and the D coaches didn't want him. It boils down to this all of the D decisions are GUN's all of that stuff your seeing out there is his call.

jspchief
10-17-2005, 06:34 AM
Wesley only makes plays when it comes to blitzing, the run game, or hitting. In pass coverage, he's routinely burnt/juked and doesn't play any tighter than McCleon.

As for bad angles on the WR screen, Knight took as bad an angle as anyone on that play.

BigRedChief
10-17-2005, 07:09 AM
Wesley only makes plays when it comes to blitzing, the run game, or hitting. In pass coverage, he's routinely burnt/juked and doesn't play any tighter than McCleon.

As for bad angles on the WR screen, Knight took as bad an angle as anyone on that play.

Agreed there. But Washington would have given up the tying TD had Knight not come over and knock the ball away. I don't think Wesley or Woods would have done that last year. So at least thats something to be cheerful about.

jspchief
10-17-2005, 07:13 AM
Agreed there. But Washington would have given up the tying TD had Knight not come over and knock the ball away. I don't think Wesley or Woods would have done that last year. So at least thats something to be cheerful about.Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Knight. He had a great game and has been invaluable as a leader IMO.

I just noticed everyone saying how Wesley took a bad angle on that long Moss play, when in reality Knight took an even worse angle. He totally had the guy beat to the sideline, but cut in towards the player too soon. He was the last guy to beat.

Extra Point
10-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Agreed there. But Washington would have given up the tying TD had Knight not come over and knock the ball away. I don't think Wesley or Woods would have done that last year. So at least thats something to be cheerful about.
:thumb: You are correct, sir!!!
Knight did what he was supposed to do, made the play when it counted. He had the hot hand from the TD earlier. Positive momentum is good. There was no way he was NOT going to make that play!

TRR
10-17-2005, 08:20 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Knight. He had a great game and has been invaluable as a leader IMO.

I just noticed everyone saying how Wesley took a bad angle on that long Moss play, when in reality Knight took an even worse angle. He totally had the guy beat to the sideline, but cut in towards the player too soon. He was the last guy to beat.

Knight was getting blocked. Nobody even laid a hand on Wesley, and in turn, Wesley never laid a hand on Moss. I'm watching the play right now...

jspchief
10-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Knight was getting blocked. Nobody even laid a hand on Wesley, and in turn, Wesley never laid a hand on Moss. I'm watching the play right now...Knight was getting blocked by who? Considering the only time you can see Knight on the TV screen, there is no one near him, I'd like to know how you know he was blocked.

Wesley had the choice of the inside gap or the outside gap. He incorrectly chose inside (had he filled the ouside, it would have forced Moss back into DJ and Knight).

But Knight had a straight line, and should have been able to beat Moss to the sideline. He took a bad angle, that he had to adjust too late.

Wesley may have missed his shot when it was a 5-10 yard play, but Knight's bad angle gave Moss the remaining 40 yds for the TD.