PDA

View Full Version : Wilbon and Kornheiser's post-game thoughts from the Washington Post

FloridaMan88
10-16-2005, 08:42 PM
They really post these post-game columns quickly on the Washington Post's website.

Wilbon's column:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/16/AR2005101601126.html

(Pass) Rush to Judgment

By Michael Wilbon

Monday, October 17, 2005; Page E01

KANSAS CITY, Mo. We start with the subject Joe Gibbs doesn't want to talk about anymore, but the one that has to be addressed in the wake of Sunday's loss to the Chiefs: LaVar Arrington.

What the Redskins so desperately needed, particularly in the second half Sunday, was their own Jared Allen. It doesn't make a difference that you've never heard of Allen, the 6-foot-6, 265-pound second-year defensive lineman from Idaho State; he was the star. Yes, Trent Green and Priest Holmes hooked up on a critical score, but the star of the game, indisputably, was Allen.
He sacked Mark Brunell three times, forced three fumbles (but was credited with two) and recovered two.

Allen was so disruptive to the Redskins' offense, Dick Vermeil gave the kid the game ball.

And that's why we have to talk about Arrington. The Redskins needed a guy with the speed and strength to get to the quarterback and force him to cough up the ball or throw it to the wrong guy or hit the turf behind the line of scrimmage. The Redskins needed a guy, just like Jared Allen, to make Green nervous, to disrupt his timing, to bust up plays, to force the Chiefs into a bunch of Plan Bs.

This wouldn't be Topic A had the Redskins who did play been able to do this, but they couldn't. They haven't been able to do it at all this season.

The defense, as good as it has been, has forced a measly two turnovers in five games -- and none in the last four. There has only been one sack-and-strip of the opposing quarterback. Gibbs spent what seemed to be five minutes of his postgame news conference talking about the lack of turnovers forced by the defense.

He said he and his staff "do a lot of stuff to emphasize taking the ball away, forcing turnovers in practice." And Gibbs added that he is going to have to find "some creative way" to get the defense to intercept the ball and come up with fumble recoveries. The players might see more "strip drills" in practice this week. "Maybe," Gibbs said, "there's something I can do."

Well, perhaps there is indeed.

Find a few snaps for LaVar Arrington.

After the game, when asked about finding Arrington some playing time, defensive boss Gregg Williams answered by asking, "Okay, who do you want me to take out?"

His point is that Renaldo Wynn, Marcus Washington, Lemar Marshall and Warrick Holdman are playing very, very well. And there's no disputing that.

Kornheiser's column:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/16/AR2005101600847.html

A Message for the Offense: Drop the Old Fumblerooski

Monday, October 17, 2005; Page E02

Maybe today somebody can get a hand on Jared Allen. Because nobody touched him yesterday. Six tackles. Three sacks. Two forced fumbles. Two fumble recoveries. Jared Allen went through the Redskins' line like Tony Siragusa going through chicken in a pot -- leaving nothing but feathers and bones.

You can't win losing three fumbles, one of which was scooped up and run 80 yards for a touchdown. And you can't win committing pass interference on third and six with 3:15 to go and give Kansas City four more downs; the replay showed Ade Jimoh holding onto Marc Boerigter's jersey like Jeff Van Gundy holding onto Alonzo Mourning's shin bone.

And still, the Redskins were in it down to the last drop again, just like they were a week ago in Denver. Their offense gets a little better each game -- and Santana Moss seems to get a little faster each game. For those of us who believed the Redskins had traded down when they exchanged Laveranues Coles for Moss, this has been an awakening. Moss is faster than Fred Smoot ordering Al and Alma's Sex Boat Special for 40. (By the way, did you see that Fox pregame piece on the Vikings' sex boats? The guy said there was "a good boat and a bad boat." Which boat will Mike Tice be on when Zygi Wilf sends him up Lake Minnetonka without a paddle?)

Maybe Gregg Williams might get the vibe and try playing LaVar. This is 49 points against in two weeks without Arrington getting in. That No. 56 shirt is so clean, Siragusa could use it as a napkin. How long does LaVar have to sit there like Jerry Mahoney? (Jerry Mahoney! Wow, Grampa skews older again.)

So here are the Redskins, a workingman's 3-2 in the hardest division in football, heading home for the 49ers with their 1-4 record, their appetizing 32 points a game allowed and their wobbly rookie quarterback. That's gotta smell like dinner.

ck_IN
10-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Pretty accurate. Arrington is a monster in the L. Taylor mold. Why he's not playing, especially on passing downs is a mystery to me.

If nothing else I'd have him in on passing downs and run stunts with my d linemen to get him free. He's just too good not to.

Garcia Bronco
10-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Pretty accurate. Arrington is a monster in the L. Taylor mold. Why he's not playing, especially on passing downs is a mystery to me.

If nothing else I'd have him in on passing downs and run stunts with my d linemen to get him free. He's just too good not to.

It's quite simple and we should applaud Greg Williams and Joe Gibbs for not playing him. He free lances all game...which he make plays no doubt....but he leaves his teammates exposed in a zone blitz scheme the requires a player to be in a certain spot. Ergo, he's not a team player.

Valiant
10-16-2005, 08:58 PM

Or have Fagliebue, force a trade without cap ramifications and give them Bell and McCleon...

chief52
10-16-2005, 09:02 PM
It's quite simple and we should applaud Greg Williams and Joe Gibbs for not playing him. He free lances all game...which he make plays no doubt....but he leaves his teammates exposed in a zone blitz scheme the requires a player to be in a certain spot. Ergo, he's not a team player.

Exactly right, GB. He is an all about me and my stats kinda guy and the Redskin staff is tired of it.

tk13
10-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Qadry Ismail was ripping Arrington up and down today on ESPNews. I'll give him credit for breaking the mold from the rest of the media clamoring for the Skins to play him. Q was pretty critical though, said Lavar freelances way too much and if he's not gonna listen to the coaches he shouldn't play... said he'd rather have 11 guys who worked as a unit on defense over 10 guys and one super talented player who thinks he's good enough to do whatever he wants...

SCChief
10-16-2005, 09:09 PM
the replay showed Ade Jimoh holding onto Marc Boerigter's jersey like Jeff Van Gundy holding onto Alonzo Mourning's shin bone.

That's funny right there...

RealSNR
10-16-2005, 09:17 PM
I wonder if Kornheiser realizes that stuffing 1,244 similes into one column doesn't necessarily make your column ****ing hilarious. In fact, I wonder if he realizes that after one or two in one column, the rest all seem very lame.

Skip Towne
10-16-2005, 09:25 PM
This sounds like it might go a little deeper than just freelancing. Maybe an opportunity to make a trade?

chief52
10-16-2005, 09:27 PM
This sounds like it might go a little deeper than just freelancing. Maybe an opportunity to make a trade?

Nope...they say trading his contract would screw up the Redskin cap so bad that a trade is basically impossible.

They need to figure out how to get him back...mentally.

Hammock Parties
10-16-2005, 09:28 PM
How sweet would a 3-4 with Arrington, Bell, Mitchell and DJ look?

Maybe we can bring in a couple defensive linemen in the offseason and run that next year.

RealSNR
10-16-2005, 09:30 PM
How sweet would a 3-4 with Arrington, Bell, Mitchell and DJ look?

Maybe we can bring in a couple defensive linemen in the offseason and run that next year.Meanwhile half of our offense retires after this year... :cuss:

Skip Towne
10-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Nope...they say trading his contract would screw up the Redskin cap so bad that a trade is basically impossible.

They need to figure out how to get him back...mentally.
I don't listen to what they say. I watch what they do. And not playing a talent like Arrington speaks loudly. Investgate the situation.

chief52
10-16-2005, 09:39 PM
I don't listen to what they say. I watch what they do. And not playing a talent like Arrington speaks loudly. Investgate the situation.

Not sure what you mean here...but, no, I do not have time to do any investigations. Arrington signed a high dollar contract based on where he was drafted. I do believe he is basically "untradeable". Such is the nature of the NFL.

Mr. Laz
10-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Meanwhile half of our offense retires after this year... :cuss:

:deevee: :deevee: :deevee:

Dave Lane
10-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Meanwhile half of our offense retires after this year... :cuss:

The way is shut... </tolkein>

Dave

Hammock Parties
10-16-2005, 10:39 PM
The way is shut... </tolkein>

Dave

Are you quoting Tolkien?

Hydrae
10-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Not sure what you mean here...but, no, I do not have time to do any investigations. Arrington signed a high dollar contract based on where he was drafted. I do believe he is basically "untradeable". Such is the nature of the NFL.

I have no idea what kind of contract he signed and so on but I would think he has been around long enough that the cap hit from the remainder of his signing bonus would have dropped to a reasonable number by now. It's not like he was a rookie last year. :shrug:

Abba-Dabba
10-16-2005, 11:33 PM

Arrington is on his 2nd contract. His rookie contract was torn up long ago.

2 knee surgeries, huge contract = only one thing.... released before the roster bonus kicks in.