PDA

View Full Version : Interesting substitutions on defense yesterday.

Rain Man
10-17-2005, 09:15 AM
I noticed Wilkerson at nose tackle in the 3-4 at least once.

We were pulling Hicks on passing downs and moving Allen to the left side, with Hall on the right. (I know that was planned, so it's not too suprising.)

I think I saw Allen at nose tackle in a 3-4 passing situation once, but I'm not sure.

Just curious: why did Washington replace McCleon instead of Sapp? I would've expected the nickel back to become the starter in that situation.

I saw Scanlon in on defense on the first series, playing RILB in the 3-4. I didn't see him much afterward.

It looked like Griffin was in at ROLB in the 3-4 later in the game, with Bell presumably moving inside to RILB.

This is all based on watching the game once without the benefit of TiVo or anything. Can anyone else confirm or refute these observations? What other interesting things did we see out there?

jspchief
10-17-2005, 09:19 AM
I saw Scanlon line up once at ROLB in the 3-4, with DJ at RILB.

As far as Sapp, I don't think he's very good in coverage. He's an effective nickel when blitzing, but he's been getting torched in coverage. He was largely responsible for Philly's passing heyday.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-17-2005, 09:22 AM
Does anyone else think that we make more plays in a 3-4 than any other alignment.

Lzen
10-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Does anyone else think that we make more plays in a 3-4 than any other alignment.

Yes.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-17-2005, 09:48 AM
Yes.

Thank you. Next question!

ROFL

Rain Man
10-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Thank you. Next question!

ROFL

Okay, next question. What's your e-mail address?

(Heh-heh. This ought to keep him busy for a while.)

Warrior5
10-17-2005, 09:56 AM
As far as Sapp, I don't think he's very good in coverage. He's an effective nickel when blitzing, but he's been getting torched in coverage. He was largely responsible for Philly's passing heyday.

Oh yeah...thanks for reminding me jspchief. WTH was up with Sapp on that corner blitz. I thought, "Outstanding; he's going to decapitate Brunell!" Brunell simply ducked about a foot, and Sapp's arms went over his head. He had a full frontal shot at killing Brunell and instead he tackled air. What a wasted opportunity.

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2005, 10:02 AM

As a change of pace, it does seem effective.

As a base defense, I'm still not sure; although unless we repeat our Defensive effort of yesterday....for the rest of the season, it can't hurt.

donkhater
10-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Just guessing, but if you gave Sapp the outside and slid Washington into the nickel back role, you'd have two guys who maybe weren't comfortable or knowledgable about their assignments.

Sub Washington in for McCleon, at least Sapp's position doesn't change and Washngton is probably better suited for the outside.

jspchief
10-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Was Woods playing some Nickel too? Or was he just filling in spot duty for Wesley at FS?

I know Woods was the other slice of bread on the Jared Allen sack sandwich that forced one of the fumbles.

jspchief
10-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Oh yeah...thanks for reminding me jspchief. WTH was up with Sapp on that corner blitz. I thought, "Outstanding; he's going to decapitate Brunell!" Brunell simply ducked about a foot, and Sapp's arms went over his head. He had a full frontal shot at killing Brunell and instead he tackled air. What a wasted opportunity.Heh. Young guy vs. Veteran... Vet wins.

We ran that blitz with a lot of success in pre-season, and haven't used Sapp on it much in the regular season (been using safeties instead). Coming free like that, he needs to make sure he gets the hit. Even so, I like that play, and hope we see more of it.

Rain Man
10-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Heh. Young guy vs. Veteran... Vet wins.

We ran that blitz with a lot of success in pre-season, and haven't used Sapp on it much in the regular season (been using safeties instead). Coming free like that, he needs to make sure he gets the hit. Even so, I like that play, and hope we see more of it.

Perhaps we can also run another version of the play where Sapp doesn't run up to the line of scrimmage and dance around beforehand.

One of the announcers said yesterday, "The Chiefs are bringing a blitz and they don't care who knows about it." I screamed and cursed.

htismaqe
10-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Heh. Young guy vs. Veteran... Vet wins.

Sapp just need to remember to aim for the belt buckle. He came in a bit high is all.

B_Ambuehl
10-17-2005, 11:04 AM
The Scanbacker also played the LOLB in the 3-4 a few times. One time he was matched up against a slot receiver and thank god washington didn't throw the ball cause boy he was mismatched.

Siavii also looked impressive on a couple of snaps. As bad as he looked in the preseason and in the earlier games I guess his knees were the culprit because it's now become evident Dick wasn't exactly lieing when he said Jr. is improving each and every game. If he continues at this pace he will be all pro caliber by next year.

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2005, 11:11 AM
...Dick wasn't exactly lieing when he said Jr. is improving each and every game. If he continues at this pace he will be all pro caliber by next year.

I think that's a bit premature at this point.

go bo
10-17-2005, 11:20 AM
did he say pro caliber?

B_Ambuehl
10-17-2005, 11:36 AM
If he improves 20% each game for 16 games do the math. Obviously that's not realistic but he really is looking better out there.

Rain Man
10-17-2005, 11:43 AM
If he improves 20% each game for 16 games do the math. Obviously that's not realistic but he really is looking better out there.

If we assume that his improvement compounds, then he would be 15.4 times greater than in Week 1 after 16 games. If he also improved during the bye week, he would be 18.5 times better.

kregger
10-17-2005, 11:48 AM
I was watching Siavii specifically when he was in. He was clogging up the middle and more often than not was taking two 'skins with him.

shaneo69
10-17-2005, 11:56 AM
Scanlon only played when the Redskins used a one WR offense with two or three TE's. RS replaced McCleon in those instances, and the team was using a 4-4-3 alignment.

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2005, 11:58 AM
I was watching Siavii specifically when he was in. He was clogging up the middle and more often than not was taking two 'skins with him.

Well, that's encouraging then...