PDA

View Full Version : Request for thoughts and prayers

SCChief
10-17-2005, 03:05 PM
I have noticed how supportive Chiefs fans are to each other, even when disagreeing on team-related issues.

I need a little of that support now, as my wife's health has taken a sudden turn for the worst. About two weeks ago, she started having headaches. Finally, last week, her coworkers (some of whom were nurses before coming to work for the insurance company) took her BP, and it was 170/110. Her boss took her to her doctor's office, and the doctor put her on BP meds while he ran tests to figure out the problem.

This weekend, after about 4 to 5 days on the BP meds, we took the kids to McDonalds to play on the Playplace there. While we were there, her head began hurting bad. I called my parents to come get the girls, and was going to take her to the ER. But when she lost the feeling in her left hand, and her speech started slurring, I called 911 (let me tell you how terrified the McDonalds manager was when she saw paramedics bursting into her store). By the time the paramedics had arrived, she had lost feeling in her face and her right arm was weak. Her BP, when they checked it, was 240/120. Needless to say, they rushed her to the ER, and I caught up once the girls were off with my parents.

Fortunately, tests showed it was not a stroke, but something the ER doc referred to as malignant hypertension. He said that the symptoms simulate a stroke, and can become a stroke if not treated promptly. So, they drugged her up, upped her BP meds, and put her on a "no-stress-diet". This made me have to send her to a friend's house, because my oldest had to go to school, and could not do so if I sent them away.

So... she is coming home today, because our friend can't take any more time off work to take care of her. So I am going to have to balance taking care of the girls with keeping my wife stress-free so she doesn't stroke out on me before her primary care physician can get the results back on the tests he ran and determine what is causing this sudden condition. She has NO memory of what happened to her at McDonalds, or even that she was there. That scares me, because this woman remembers every wrong thing I have said for the 10 years we have been married.

To anyone who may notice may posting has been a little more caustic than in past weeks (I have tried hard not to be), my apologies. I have had a whirlwind couple of days, and looking the death of your spouse at the age of 30 in the face is life-altering.

dirk digler
10-17-2005, 03:07 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife SC.

Bowser
10-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Hang in there, SC. Be strong for your wife and kids.

siberian khatru
I wish I could forget all my trips to McDonald's. And the summer I worked there.

Anyway, you have my prayers. Scary that you don't expect that in a person so young. Hope she gets it under control.

Eleazar
You got it man. I hope you can keep your strength and she improves real soon.

CarolinaChiefz
10-17-2005, 03:09 PM
Absolutely.

God Bless her, your familly, and you.

Rain Man
10-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Wow, that's too bad. Hopefully she'll have a full and quick recovery, and you can sue McDonald's.

King_Chief_Fan
10-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Prayers are being said for you, your wife, and family.

Extra Point
10-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Hope she recovers quick, SC. Our hearts out to you and your family.

Coach
10-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Prayers for you, your wife, and your family.

Lzen
10-17-2005, 03:25 PM
You got it, SC. Prayers for you and your family.

sedated
10-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Hopefully she'll have a full and quick recovery, and you can sue McDonald's.

Yeah, lord knows they've paid people for less.

But all joking aside, the best of luck to you and yours.

ChiTown
10-17-2005, 03:33 PM
Prayers coming your way. Here's to some great news and a quick recovery.

Pat

Mr. Rat Fink
10-17-2005, 03:47 PM
God bless, SC.

patteeu
10-17-2005, 03:52 PM
I sure hope things work out OK. Good luck, SCChief.

OldTownChief
10-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Thoughts and Prayers,.

KChiefsQT
10-17-2005, 04:55 PM
I wish your wife the best... and you and the kids as well. Keep us updated. Good luck.

plbrdude
10-17-2005, 05:07 PM
prayers up for yer wife &you ,& kids

SCChief
10-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks folks.

It was a hard thing for me to send her away for a few days, both because I couldn't give her the peace and quiet she needed in a kid-filled house, as well as the fact that I live almost 30 minutes away from the nearest hospital. I am the one who has always taken care of everyone sick around here, through complicated pregnancies, my wife losing a kidney, my youngest having kidney surgery at 3 mos... it is hard to set aside my pride and admit that I could not necessarily provide the best care at the moment.

The girls are being pretty cooperative thus far, as they understand their mommy is pretty sick. And my wife has something like three months of accrued leave, so her not working is not an issue (she has good bosses, for the corporate masters they are). I am going to keep my girls going, and take care of my wife the best I can. I've been keeping this household going for awhile while my wife finishes school, this is just another added dimension.

At least the Chiefs gave me something positive for the week. Hehehehe.

mlyonsd
10-17-2005, 06:24 PM
Thoughts and prayers done.

Calcountry
10-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Done

Mosbonian
10-17-2005, 08:10 PM
SC Chief:

This place can be a pretty tough place when arguing about the Chiefs, but when it comes to supporting each other in hard times, I wouldn't be anywhere else.

You can rest assured that prayers will be sent for your wife, your kids, and you.....

mmaddog

the Talking Can
10-17-2005, 08:34 PM
scary indeed....best wishes

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Thoughts and prayers comin' your way. God bless.

SCChief
10-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Hehe. My wife got a few minutes online tonight (she had days worth of email and such to catch up on), and was so moved by you guys she created her own handle here. So... while she did not feel up to posting, I imagine she will become a somewhat regular around here. Now... if I can just get her interested in pro football. At least she knows there is only one team allowed in this house. As do the girls...

Thanks for the prayers and well wishes. I am sure this too shall pass.

Mosbonian
10-17-2005, 09:38 PM
SCChief:

If you don't mind me asking...what part of SC? I lived there for a few years myself.

mmaddog

SCChief
10-17-2005, 09:45 PM
SCChief:

If you don't mind me asking...what part of SC? I lived there for a few years myself.

mmaddog

Pelion, which is about 20 or so miles to the Southwest of Columbia.

We live out in the country... nice, quiet, gang-free... and all your neighbors own just as many guns as you do... so the area will remain nice, quiet and gang-free.

ROFL

The people around here live by the belief that an armed society is a polite society.

So, we are a good bit away from anywhere "civilized", but other than hospitals, we have pretty much everything we need around here.

Mosbonian
10-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Pelion, which is about 20 or so miles to the Southwest of Columbia.

We live out in the country... nice, quiet, gang-free... and all your neighbors own just as many guns as you do... so the area will remain nice, quiet and gang-free.

ROFL

The people around here live by the belief that an armed society is a polite society.

So, we are a good bit away from anywhere "civilized", but other than hospitals, we have pretty much everything we need around here.

Know where it's at....had to travel thru there to get to St. Matthews when I lived in Greenwood.....do they still have that nudist colony outside of town?

(Sorry...don't mean to hijack this thread)

mmaddog

SCChief
10-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Know where it's at....had to travel thru there to get to St. Matthews when I lived in Greenwood.....do they still have that nudist colony outside of town?

(Sorry...don't mean to hijack this thread)

mmaddog

ROFL

Yes they do!

leviw
10-17-2005, 10:12 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you, your kids and especially your wife. Hang in there.

chiefs4me
10-17-2005, 10:48 PM
My prayers to you and your family...I hope the doctor gives you good news...if you need to ,feel free to take it out on me..

DaFace
10-17-2005, 11:47 PM
I'm not the prayin' type, but you're in my thoughts. Hang in there.

Darkwolfe
10-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Prayers going up SC.

Ugly Duck
10-18-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm sending positive vibes your way, SC.... can you feel that? Positive vibes, dude, here they come......

Earthling
10-18-2005, 01:46 AM
Heartfelt prayers go out to you and yours bro.

Braincase
10-18-2005, 05:43 AM
{Prayers}

Gaz
10-18-2005, 05:52 AM
I will keep your family in my thoughts.

xoxo~
Gaz
Needs to go home and Mrs. Gaz again.

dsgreene285
10-18-2005, 06:29 AM
You and your family are in the prayers of me and my family.

kepp
10-18-2005, 07:38 AM
You got it...praying for your wife to get well and for the docs to be extra smart.

Dartgod
10-18-2005, 07:46 AM
You got it. Best wishes to you and your family.

On a lighter note...

"...this woman remembers every wrong thing I have said for the 10 years we have been married."

Trust me, they ALL remember EVERYTHING we say.

ROYC75
10-18-2005, 07:48 AM
Will do, prayers to your wife and family, God Bless.

kregger
10-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Thoghts are with you and your family. Here's to a quick recovery and a sound diagnosis.

Frankie
10-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Hey SCC,

That's tough dude. Hope they'll find a permanent fix for your wife's problem. Stay strong. This is why she married you. My thoughts are with you and your family.

BTW, not trying to be a wiseguy here, but maybe you and your family should stay away from McDonalds.

SCChief
10-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Hey SCC,

That's tough dude. Hope they'll find a permanent fix for your wife's problem. Stay strong. This is why she married you. My thoughts are with you and your family.

BTW, not trying to be a wiseguy here, but maybe you and your family should stay away from McDonalds.

ROFL

I agree. We went and bought a home BP monitor today, and Gabrielle (my youngest) piped up that she wanted to go to McDonalds for lunch.

We had Chinese food for lunch, needless to say...

Pants
10-18-2005, 11:38 AM
You got it, man.

Cormac
10-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Best of luck to you and your wife SCChief. Hopefully the worst is over, and now she can start some beneficial treatment.