PDA

View Full Version : Teicher - No more sitting around

Hammock Parties
10-18-2005, 01:07 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/12928475.htm

WARFIELD PROBABLY WILL PLAY FOR CHIEFS ON SUNDAY

No more sitting around

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Other than watching from the sideline in sweats, Eric Warfield had little to keep him busy during Sunday’s game between the Chiefs and Washington.

Warfield made small talk with some teammates. At one point, he took a seat on the bench between kicker Lawrence Tynes and punter Dustin Colquitt, usually the sign of genuine boredom for a position player.

Warfield, a former starting cornerback, should have more to do during this Sunday’s game at Miami. Coach Dick Vermeil said Warfield would probably play for the first time this season.

Vermeil said Warfield’s playing status would not be affected by the availability of starting cornerback Dexter McCleon, who injured a groin muscle against Washington and left the game early.

Vermeil said he was unsure whether McCleon or another injured starter, wide receiver Samie Parker, would play against the Dolphins, though Vermeil indicated preliminary information suggested both would be available.

Parker injured a knee while trying to make a catch against Washington. He also left the game early and was replaced by Marc Boerigter.

McCleon had problems covering Washington’s wide receivers, including Santana Moss, before his injury. Because Warfield — in his first game back from a four-game NFL suspension — was inactive and unavailable to play, McCleon was replaced by Dewayne Washington.

Warfield’s not being available could have cost the Chiefs the game. Washington stayed with Moss on one deep pattern but was unable to keep up with him on a fade pass on Washington’s last chance to tie the game.

Only safety Sammy Knight’s ability to get over and get a hand on the pass prevented the game from heading into overtime.

Vermeil indicated Warfield’s inactivity was in no way punishment for the suspension for a violation of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. He also said it had nothing to do with the way Warfield played during training camp and the preseason.

“People want to make a big deal of Eric Warfield,” Vermeil said. “Leave the guy alone. Let him come back and play football. He’s gone through his suspension. He did a great job working out physically and doing what he was allowed to do. Now he’s got to get back to playing football and getting back into football shape. It takes some time. He was gone for four weeks. He didn’t make a tackle or cover a receiver or do anything. Carrying that over to the field and the speed of the game, that’s tough to do.

“He practiced as much as any cornerback practiced. He had a good training camp. He didn’t play well in the final preseason game because he was emotionally down because he knew he was facing a four-game suspension. He didn’t play as well as he’s capable of.”

Offensive tackle Willie Roaf did. Because of a sore hamstring, Roaf missed all but a handful of plays from the season opener until he returned against Washington.

Roaf played well, showing few signs of rust from his inactivity.

“It’s a different world,” Vermeil said. “Plus, Willie Roaf is a 10-year All-Pro. To my knowledge, Eric Warfield hasn’t made it to that level yet.”

Another offensive lineman, John Welbourn, also returned last week from a four-game suspension. Welbourn was available to play as a backup and would have played had one of the starters been injured. Eventually, he only got in for certain special-teams snaps.

“Right now he’s in a backup role getting ready to play,” Vermeil said of Welbourn. “He had a great week of practice last week. He was very impressive on the field, and we know he’s ready to play.”

Vermeil wouldn’t specify a role for Warfield against the Dolphins. He came out strongly last week in defense of McCleon as a starter.

Benny Sapp, a favorite of defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, appears entrenched as the nickel back. Washington is the fourth corner. He plays only when an opponent uses four wide receivers or someone above him gets hurt.

The Dolphins have no dangerous receiver like the ones the Chiefs have seen in recent games — Santana Moss, Philadelphia’s Terrell Owens and Oakland’s Randy Moss. Chris Chambers is Miami’s leading receiver, with 21 catches.

“Having another week to work will help (Warfield),” Vermeil said. “Wednesday and Thursday are good work days, hard work. Friday is a little lighter tempo. He needs two more days of good work and more (snaps).”

The Chiefs are 30th in passing yardage allowed after yielding 297 net yards to Washington. But Vermeil said he saw signs of progress. The Chiefs sacked Mark Brunell four times and made him fumble twice.

“I was very pleased with the effort,” Vermeil said. “That’s especially true on defense. They played as hard as I’ve seen a Chiefs team play. They hit. When you play with that kind of passion, you create your own good fortune. They didn’t allow the one big play on the quick screen to distract them.

“The pass rush and the defensive-line play were excellent. They’re all getting better. Each week you can see it sort of welding together.”

■ SAMPSON LIKELY TO PRACTICE: Vermeil said he expected offensive lineman Kevin Sampson to practice Wednesday when the Chiefs begin preparing for the Dolphins.

“Whether he’ll be ready to play by Sunday, I don’t know,” Vermeil said, “but he’ll be able to start practicing.”

the Talking Can
10-18-2005, 05:11 AM
god damn, just play our #2 CB please

assholes

NewChief
10-18-2005, 05:16 AM
The Dolphins have no dangerous receiver

Ahh. That was before they played the Chiefs, though. Prepare for the Pro-Bowl bid performance of Marty Booker this weekend.

Chan93lx50
10-18-2005, 05:18 AM

assholes

My thoughts exactly WTF? I still have not heard one good excuse yet why Warfield did not play!

Herzig
10-18-2005, 05:54 AM
Vermeil is more stubborn than my 88 year old Grandpa(God love him). Maybe Vermeil should get lasik surgery and a hearing aid. Wake up DICK!

Extra Point
10-18-2005, 05:57 AM
"They didn’t allow the one big play on the quick screen to distract them."

Excuse me? In the flat is any different?

"He came out strongly last week in defense of McCleon as a starter." Warfield is in the doghouse, and he may never get out.

KCFalcon59
10-18-2005, 06:18 AM
“People want to make a big deal of Eric Warfield,” Vermeil said. “Leave the guy alone. Let him come back and play football.

Hey Dick! We aren't bagging on Warfield. We're bagging on you for not playing him. Dick!

Coach
10-18-2005, 06:56 AM
I don't know. Chalmbers is pretty solid WR. Also Randy McMicheal (CP spelling) is a solid TE.

jspchief
10-18-2005, 07:01 AM

assholesThat's pretty much all that needed to be said.

BigRedChief
10-18-2005, 07:05 AM
McCleon is hurt and can't play he's going to start Washington over Warfield? Is that the way you guys read this?

KCJake
10-18-2005, 07:31 AM
McCleon is hurt and can't play he's going to start Washington over Warfield? Is that the way you guys read this?
That's the way I read it. But im not sure. That part of the article was difficult to understand :shrug:

chief husker
10-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Feelin' the Husker love.

Go Big Red Players! ------ Husker's dogs

acasas4
10-18-2005, 08:31 AM

assholes
:bravo:

mlyonsd
10-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Feelin' the Husker love.

Go Big Red Players! ------ Husker's dogs

Most of them that make it to the pros seem to play pretty well. When they're not in jail that is.

chief husker
10-18-2005, 08:47 AM
Most of them that make it to the pros seem to play pretty well. When they're not in jail that is.

Huskers are sometimes just misunderstood. Like Lawrence Phillips.

DTLB58
10-18-2005, 09:32 AM
Hey Dick! We aren't bagging on Warfield. We're bagging on you for not playing him. Dick!

EXACTLY what I was thinking. :clap:

Frankie
10-18-2005, 09:38 AM
....Wake up DICK!

That's what she said!!! ;)

Mr. Laz
10-18-2005, 10:14 AM

freakin' exactly!!

Mr. Laz
10-18-2005, 10:21 AM
The Dolphins have no dangerous receiver
Marty Booker (two 1000+ yrd seasons with Bears with no QB)
Chris Chambers (800-900 yrds per season with no QB)
Rand McMichael (800 yrds last year with no QB)
David Boston (even he's capable if you don't cover him, two 1000+yrd seasons)

DaWolf
10-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Man I miss Julian Battle. And he hasn't even ever done a thing for us.

Eric Warfield is an overpaid wuss who has all the talent in the world. I can't wait for him to get back into the lineup. Having him get burned 3 plays after making a brilliant play will be a major improvement over having guys out there who just can't make plays.

There's a reason Mike Martz moved "Sexy Dexy" to safety THREE YEARS AGO...

FloridaMan88
10-18-2005, 12:11 PM
The Chiefs are 30th in passing yardage allowed after yielding 297 net yards to Washington. But Vermeil said he saw signs of progress. The Chiefs sacked Mark Brunell four times and made him fumble twice.

“I was very pleased with the effort,” Vermeil said. “That’s especially true on defense. They played as hard as I’ve seen a Chiefs team play. They hit. When you play with that kind of passion, you create your own good fortune. They didn’t allow the one big play on the quick screen to distract them.

Damn it Vermeil stop trying to convince yourself that the pass defense is improving and return the team's second best CB to the field where he belongs.

philfree
10-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Man I miss Julian Battle. And he hasn't even ever done a thing for us.

Eric Warfield is an overpaid wuss who has all the talent in the world. I can't wait for him to get back into the lineup. Having him get burned 3 plays after making a brilliant play will be a major improvement over having guys out there who just can't make plays.

There's a reason Mike Martz moved "Sexy Dexy" to safety THREE YEARS AGO...

Start Warfield and move Dex to S leaving Sapp and Washington for the $.05 and $.10? :hmmm: Yup I believe that's the ticket.

PhilFree:arrow: