PDA

View Full Version : FBI shuts down suspected spammer

|Zach|
10-18-2005, 07:17 AM
WEST BLOOMFIELD, Michigan (AP) -- A man described as one of the nation's leading senders of spam says an FBI raid on his home office has halted his e-mail operation.

Warrants unsealed last week show that a September raid on Alan M. Ralsky's home in a Detroit suburb included the seizure of financial records, computers and disks.

"We're out of business at this point in time," Ralsky said. "They didn't shut us down. They took all our equipment, which had the effect of shutting us down."

Terry Berg, the top deputy in the Detroit U.S. attorney's office, declined to comment.

Ralsky, 60, has said that he has 150 million or more e-mail addresses, and he has been a target of anti-spam efforts for years.

Verizon Communications Inc. sued him in 2001, saying he shut down its networks with millions of e-mail solicitations. He settled, promising not to send spam on its networks.

A federal law that took effect last year bans use of misleading subject lines and the sending of commercial e-mail messages that appear to be from friends. It also bans use of multiple e-mail addresses or domain names to hide senders' identities.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/10/17/spam.king.ap/index.html?section=cnn_tech

jspchief
10-18-2005, 07:22 AM
On one hand, it's great that they are trying to put an end to this crap.

On the other hand, I have to wonder if there are better uses for federal law enforcement than this.

chagrin
10-18-2005, 07:22 AM
I lived up in the Detroit Metro area, West Bllomfield is a very nice area. So this guy is already rich, at least wealthy and he spams 150 million people too. What a jerk off!

jidar
10-18-2005, 07:25 AM
As a Network Administrator who is largely responsible for the email system on an ISP, I say good job!

Shut these parasites down please! Our email system costs 10xs as much to run because of these spammers, it's really out of control.

|Zach|
10-18-2005, 07:27 AM
As a Network Administrator who is largely responsible for the email system on an ISP, I say good job!

Shut these parasites down please! Our email system costs 10xs as much to run because of these spammers, it's really out of control.
Spam on my blog has gone up about 20fold this past month.

Literally.

Extra Point
10-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Give this f***er 5+ years in prison to set an example. Same goes for f***ers that knowingly e-mail destructive code.

This country doesn't have the nuts to punish these people. The judicial system will always be up for sale.

It's not a matter of crossing the line, but moving it.

So much for that rant.........

Bowser
10-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Man, I hope this guy wasn't with the Khalid Shipping Agency. I was making plans for that 10% of 17 mil he was offering to help get his money out of Kuwait......

wolfpack0735
10-18-2005, 08:08 AM
paint some lipstick on him,a tube of KY and send him to prison,death row.

4th and Long
10-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Man, I hope this guy wasn't with the Khalid Shipping Agency. I was making plans for that 10% of 17 mil he was offering to help get his money out of Kuwait......
ROFL

4th and Long
10-18-2005, 08:11 AM
paint some lipstick on him,a tube of KY and send him to prison,death row.
You have everything correct sans the tube of KY. He doesn't deserve that amenity.

|Zach|
10-18-2005, 10:24 AM
Spam on my blog has gone up about 20fold this past month.

Literally.
Since I made the above post at 8:27 central time there have been 244 spam comments made on my site.

Holy shiat.

Rain Man
10-18-2005, 10:28 AM
On one hand, it's great that they are trying to put an end to this crap.

On the other hand, I have to wonder if there are better uses for federal law enforcement than this.

I've got no problem using federal law enforcement on this. I'd prefer that we send Ken Hamlin's posse out to get the guy in the park, but since they're busy I'll settle for law enforcement.