PDA

View Full Version : poison ivy cures/remedies?

angel
10-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I've never ever had poison ivy... in a way, I thought it was a myth.
This weekend, I was asked to clear out the weeds in my parent's "garden", I wore gloves, but that doesn't matter to poison ivy.
Sunday, while watching the Chiefs win, I started feeling itchy. At first, I thought it was the game. Usually, I get heart murmurs, and I thought it had turned to hives. But no, yesterday, the itching got worse along with a rash. Today, I have some of it on my eyelids. My mother informed me that it's poison ivy. My sister got some too from helping me weed.
Apparently, I'm not supposed to scratch, but I've never itched so much in my entire life! I put Gold Bond like my mother suggested, but it only stops the itching for like a second.
How long do I have to endure this?
Stupid poison plants...

keg in kc
10-18-2005, 01:51 PM
I've only had it once, that pink stuff, calamine lotion I think it's called, worked for me.

JimNasium
10-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Scratch it up really good and pour bleach over it. It will dry up and go away very rapidly.

###############Disclaimer###################
Although JimNasium has used the above method without medical complications he won't promise that it will not cause severe side-effects such as monkey foot, diarrhea of the mouth, growth of extra limbs or erratic and unruly behavior.

Goapics1
10-18-2005, 01:52 PM
I've never ever had poison ivy... in a way, I thought it was a myth.
This weekend, I was asked to clear out the weeds in my parent's "garden", I wore gloves, but that doesn't matter to poison ivy.
Sunday, while watching the Chiefs win, I started feeling itchy. At first, I thought it was the game. Usually, I get heart murmurs, and I thought it had turned to hives. But no, yesterday, the itching got worse along with a rash. Today, I have some of it on my eyelids. My mother informed me that it's poison ivy. My sister got some too from helping me weed.
Apparently, I'm not supposed to scratch, but I've never itched so much in my entire life! I put Gold Bond like my mother suggested, but it only stops the itching for like a second.
How long do I have to endure this?
Stupid poison plants...
Go to the Dr and they will give you some medication that you will have to take for 10 days or so. You will see results immediatley............

JimNasium
10-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Whoops, didn't read closely enough. I wouldn't pour bleach on your eyes. :) Sounds like a doctor's visit is in order.

Delano
... At first, I thought it was the game. Usually, I get heart murmurs, and I thought it had turned to hives...

I'm sorry to change the subject but you get heart murmurs at the game? Is this a regular thing? My girlfriend has a heart murmur and frequently has palpatations. I am taking her to the 1/1/06 game in Arrowhead. You think this is something to worry about?

chiefs4me
ah girl ...that shit got me awile back and I spent a miserable 4 days before relenting and going to the doc for a shot...it worked in hours...

on a side note, my next door neighbor tells me that peeing on it works to, but I never went that route.....:shake:

angel
10-18-2005, 01:55 PM
I don't want to go to the doctor

JimNasium
10-18-2005, 01:56 PM
ah girl ...that shit got me awile back and I spent a miserable 4 days before relenting and going to the doc for a shot...it worked in hours...

on a side note, my next door neighbor tells me that peeing on it works to, but I never went that route.....:shake:
I'd be happy to.....oh, nevermind.

JimNasium
10-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Bleach for everything except the eyelids. The rash will dry up within hours.

Lzen
10-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Now you know why your parents had you weed their garden.

Been a lot of years but I seem to remember using Caladryl when I got poison ivy as a youth. Not sure if they still have that. Seemed to work fine, IIRC, and it was over the counter medicine.

angel
10-18-2005, 01:57 PM
I'm sorry to change the subject but you get heart murmurs at the game? Is this a regular thing? My girlfriend has a heart murmur and frequently has palpatations. I am taking her to the 1/1/06 game in Arrowhead. You think this is something to worry about?
I don't get real heart murmurs... I was eluding to the fact that the recent Chiefs games have been too close for comfort.
Your girlfriend would probably be a better person to ask. If she thinks it's a problem- I'll be more than happy to take her ticket so it doesn't go to waste.

jspchief
10-18-2005, 01:59 PM
I don't want to go to the doctorGo anyway. The stuff they give you will speed recovery time immensely.

Other than that, lots of calamine lotion and don't touch your "special places".

keg in kc
10-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Been a lot of years but I seem to remember using Caladryl when I got poison ivy as a youth. Yeah, that's what I was talking about, I think. But my poison ivy would have been maybe 4 years ago, so it must still be around.

patteeu
10-18-2005, 02:01 PM
If it's near your eyes, you should definitely see a doctor.

As hard as it is, you should avoid scratching. The itching gets worse if you scatch, it damages and possibly scars your skin, and it leads to spreading for a while after exposure.

Besides the medicine you might get from a doctor, you can try using something like benedryl lotion or, in limited usage, lotion with hydrocortisone in it. The doctor's stuff is almost certainly better, but these give some temporary relief.

My daughters seem to like to take oatmeal baths when they have poison ivy so you can try that too.

Goapics1
10-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Sweat it out then.

http://www.zanfel.com/testimonials/images/zanfel-photo1.jpg

Delano
10-18-2005, 02:04 PM
My daughters seem to like to take oatmeal baths when they have poison ivy so you can try that too.

Yes, angel, and if you decide to go the oatmeal bath route, please post pictures so we can determine if this actually helps. Begin the photo series with you in a robe, then slowly open it up and drop it to the floor. After that step into the bath and sink into the oatmeal. Do not sink deeper than chest level though and always look at the camera and smile even though it itches. This will help with the treatment options we can provide.

angel
10-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Yes, angel, and if you decide to go the oatmeal bath route, please post pictures so we can determine if this actually helps. Begin the photo series with you in a robe, then slowly open it up and drop it to the floor. After that step into the bath and sink into the oatmeal. Do not sink deeper than chest level though and always look at the camera and smile even though it itches. This will help with the treatment options we can provide.
I don't have a robe

Dunit35
10-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Oh yea, once my ex and eye decided to have some fun at the lake and both of us got poison ivy on our "areas", that sucked. Try explaining that to the parents,friends,teachers, co-workers. I used Calamine lotion for a few days, that gets rid of the itch or ends it. I also used this clear liquid stuff that I had to use a ear cleaner to apply it. Burned so bad to, but worked better than anything. But do not put it on your area. The worst feeling ever. I repeat do not put it on your area.

Delano
10-18-2005, 02:08 PM
I don't have a robe

Shit, scrap that idea then. Good luck with your recovery.

StcChief
10-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Used a product called Tacenu (sp?) lotion worked well
Poison Ivy, Sumac. Recommended by a Park ranger.

Simplex3
10-18-2005, 10:52 PM
I had it head to toe years ago and tried to ride it out. It just kept spreading even though I didn't scratch and I wound up at the doctor. Especially if it's near your eyes, that can be some bad s**t.

PastorMikH
10-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Scratch it up really good and pour bleach over it. It will dry up and go away very rapidly.

###############Disclaimer###################
Although JimNasium has used the above method without medical complications he won't promise that it will not cause severe side-effects such as monkey foot, diarrhea of the mouth, growth of extra limbs or erratic and unruly behavior.

Ahhhh, yes. Works like a charm. The disclaimer is also accurate.:)

If it is a bad case, the Dr can give you a cortisone shot or pill packs and some hydrocortisone cream.

Halfcan
10-18-2005, 11:00 PM
yep had it twice this year. It sucks.

PastorMikH
10-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Whoops, didn't read closely enough. I wouldn't pour bleach on your eyes. :) Sounds like a doctor's visit is in order.

Wow, I just realized I didn't read close enough either.

I am a bit concerned that I am a bit too similar to JimN right now.

BTW, when you get into poison ivy, oak, or sumack, it is imperative that you wash really well. The plants secrete a clear oily substance that actually causes the rash. You have to wash it off just like you would have to scrub off grease from a car. In other words, scrub really, really good.

SoCalBronco
10-18-2005, 11:20 PM
oatmeal.

Munson
10-18-2005, 11:40 PM
You need to go see a doctor, or it will only get worse. I'm pretty allergic to poison ivy. Any time I get it, I have to go get a steriod shot(which dries it up from the inside), along with prescription pills, and cream. Trust me, the stuff that you can get from the doctor is 100 times better than anything that you can get over the counter.

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-18-2005, 11:51 PM
wire brush, salt, steel wool, comet, battery acid

all of this stuff works

if all else fails call me i will come over and skin you alive

well you won't itch any more

tk13
10-18-2005, 11:59 PM
My mom's a nurse and is real allergic to the stuff, she always uses Caladryl if you want something simple over the counter. Sounds pretty nasty though. I actually don't think I'm allergic to poison ivy. I've touched it, never actually gotten a rash though. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.

Abba-Dabba
10-19-2005, 01:28 AM
HA! I'm not allergic to poison ivy. I can roll in it, bathe in it, take long romantic strolls with it.

Boyceofsummer
10-19-2005, 01:29 AM
wire brush, salt, steel wool, comet, battery acid

all of this stuff works

if all else fails call me i will come over and skin you alive

well you won't itch any more

:holdman:

B_Ambuehl
10-19-2005, 01:29 AM
The only OTC lotion or remedy that will do much of anything is benadryl cream. Look for the cheaper generic that contains dypenhydramine HCL. You can also take oral benadryl if you can stand the sleepiness. The other anti-itch creams and various potions are far too weak to do anything whatsoever.

It also helps if you understand a bit about it. The allergic irritant in poison Ivy is an oily substance called uroshiol. To give you an idea how irritating it is, one ounce is strong enough to infect something like 1/3 of the worlds population so it doesn't take much of it. It gets absorbed deep into your skin upon contact. You can't spread it by scratching once you've washed your hands but you can spread it by using the same clothes, towels, or bedsheets that may have some on there from your initial exposure. The rash often spreads on it's own as the oil gets absorbed systemically which gives the appearance that it's spreading due to the scratching.

What happens is your immune system launches an all out assault and what causes the rash and itching is your immune system not the oil itself. You can rub all kinds of crap on it and there are all sorts of false remedies but the only way to really stop the itch and the rash is to inhibit the immune system or let it run it's course which generally runs 2-3 weeks. The best way to inhibit the immune system is to use cortisone based steroids boht internally and externally. Secondarily, you can use antihistamines like benadryl which are not as good but do somewhat inhibit the inflammatory immune response Regular .01% OTC cortisone creams are far too weak to be of any good. If you wanna get healed up quick best thing to do is go to the dr. and get either an oral course of steroids or an injection along with a powerful prescription cortisone cream. Relief will be pretty much instant.

Probably the best way to mimick a course of steroids is to go on severely carbohydrate restricted diet along with high dose (20 + grams per day) fish oil. Without carbohydrates the immune system does not operate as hyperactive as less inflammation is a result. Fish oil in high doses also inhibits the immune system.

ChiefsFanatic
10-19-2005, 02:45 AM
This may be too late, but abstinence has always worked for me.

Phobia
10-19-2005, 08:36 AM
That sucks. Obligatory guilt trip to follow:

I don't know of any 37 Forever attendees who ended up with poison ivy. Maybe God is trying to tell you something.

Go to the Doctor. They'll treat you with 'roids. It will be gone in a couple days.

angel
10-19-2005, 08:39 AM

I don't know of any 37 Forever attendees who ended up with poison ivy. Maybe God is trying to tell you something.

Go to the Doctor. They'll treat you with 'roids. It will be gone in a couple days.
I don't have a good excuse for not attending, but I'll make one anyway: I'm broke, and I had poison ivy- If I had gone to the 37 events, you all would have ended up catching it, so I did you all a favor, see?

Phobia
10-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Don't tell it to me. Tell it to God. He's the one sending you the message through poison ivy, not me.

Skip Towne
10-19-2005, 08:50 AM
I don't have a good excuse for not attending, but I'll make one anyway: I'm broke, and I had poison ivy- If I had gone to the 37 events, you all would have ended up catching it, so I did you all a favor, see?
That's a good story Angel. Mind if I borrow it? Hey, Phob, I had leprosy so I couldn't attend. You all wouldn't want leprosy would you?

angel
10-19-2005, 09:19 AM
That's a good story Angel. Mind if I borrow it? Hey, Phob, I had leprosy so I couldn't attend. You all wouldn't want leprosy would you?
yeah, see? we did you guys a favor by not showing up

you could've ended up with poison ivy AND leprosy

whew, that was close

Skip Towne
10-19-2005, 09:24 AM

So will $100 of your money.

angel
10-19-2005, 09:26 AM
So will $100 of your money.
yeah, I know a lot of you suggest going to the doctor, but I don't think it's bad enough to warrent my spending of money that I don't have

also, I hate doctors

if it gets worse, I'll consider going to a doctor, but for now, I'll try some of the lotions recommended

ChiTown
10-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Have you tried applying the affected area with a little "Gentleman's Jelly"...................

keg in kc
10-19-2005, 09:38 AM
I don't have a good excuse for not attending, but I'll make one anyway: I'm broke, and I had poison ivy- If I had gone to the 37 events, you all would have ended up catching it, so I did you all a favor, see?I'd make a comment along the lines of "what would you have done, rubbed yourself against everybody all weekend?" but that would be in poor taste.

Simplex3
10-19-2005, 09:38 AM
yeah, I know a lot of you suggest going to the doctor, but I don't think it's bad enough to warrent my spending of money that I don't have

also, I hate doctors

if it gets worse, I'll consider going to a doctor, but for now, I'll try some of the lotions recommended
Check out the local Gold's Gym. There's bound to be some vitamin R there someplace.

angel
10-19-2005, 09:39 AM
I'd make a comment along the lines of "what would you have done, rubbed yourself against everybody all weekend?" but that would be in poor taste.
I was eluding to it being the other way around

keg in kc
10-19-2005, 09:40 AM
I was eluding to it being the other way aroundYou must not have eluded very well, if you gave everyone poison ivy, if that's what you're alluding to.

angel
10-19-2005, 09:43 AM
You must not have eluded very well, if you gave everyone poison ivy, if that's what you're alluding to.
very clever
I had a feeling as I hit submit that I had spelled something wrong