PDA

View Full Version : Cards Have Lucky Kitties in Their Corner

gblowfish
10-19-2005, 09:08 AM
This from today's KC Star. La Russa is not my favorite manager, but I do admire his love for animals. Kudos to him for helping pets find homes:

Posted on Wed, Oct. 19, 2005

Kitty Cards
Players think two cats who hang out at Busch bring good luck

By JEFF PASSAN
The Kansas City Star

ST. LOUIS — The keys to the St. Louis Cardinals’ run toward a World Series victory are not Albert Pujols’ bat and Mark Mulder’s arm. They are small, furry and eat out of a bowl.

Meet Tigger and Snoopy, cat companions who live in the bowels of Busch Stadium and have become the unofficial mascots of the Cardinals the last two years.

“They’re our good-luck charm,” Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said.

Toward the end of last season, Tigger, the male, started sneaking through a chain-link fence near the indoor batting cage. He would settle on rickety wooden slats near the cage and take a nap, awoken only by the curious Cardinals, who toyed with him like a new pet.

All of the attention, apparently, has gotten to his head.

“Now,” La Russa said, “he acts like he owns the place.”

Cardinals employee Joe Humphries sets out bowls of food and water for Tigger and Snoopy, a shy type who rarely ventures from behind the fence. Every day, about the same time, Tigger emerges and jumps on the slats or a pile of folded-down cardboard boxes for his afternoon snooze.

Never mind the noise from Pujols’ line drives that crackles off the walls. Tigger sleeps through it all.

“Usually, if you walk up on a cat, it’ll scatter away,” Cardinals outfielder John Rodriguez said. “That one is like, ‘Hey, what’s up? All right. I’m sleeping. Take care.’ ”

“I just call him ‘Cat Daddy,’ ” Cardinals utilityman John Mabry said. “Look at him. He’s cool.”

Cool enough to have found a woman.

When Snoopy showed her face the first time, the Cardinals were excited. Already Tigger had brought them good fortune: The Cardinals won 105 games last season and advanced to the World Series, only to get swept by Boston. Double the cats surely would mean double the luck factor.

Actually, turned out it was nine times the felines. In the middle of this 100-win season, Snoopy had a litter of eight kittens.

“We weren’t too proud of that one,” La Russa said.

Not since La Russa’s other cause, outside of baseball, is controlling the pet population through his Animal Rescue Foundation, an animal-adoption center in the Bay Area. All eight of Tigger and Snoopy’s kittens — for the sake of monogamy, we hope Tigger’s the father — were adopted. Snoopy was spayed. No more love-making shenanigans.

Which just left the two of them to stir up the other kind of trouble the Cardinals were used to seeing.

When shortstop David Eckstein came to St. Louis for the first time during the winter, Tigger sneaked up behind Eckstein’s fiancée. He just wanted to introduce himself, of course, though she didn’t exactly appreciate the introduction.

“She screamed,” Eckstein said. “It was hilarious.”

Oddly enough, St. Louis has a rich history of cats in sporting venues. At the old Checkerdome, cats were allowed to roam around the place to dispose of rats, a purpose that, on occasion, Tigger and Snoopy serve at Busch.

Yet they’re more than that to the Cardinals — more than rodent disposals or simple forms of entertainment. While no time soon will the Cardinals change their nickname to the Cats, they will ensure Tigger and Snoopy survive the demolition of Busch.

At the end of the season, La Russa or Humphries or someone will scoop up the two troublemakers and take them next door, where they’ll live in the lap of luxury at the new Busch Stadium.

If the Cardinals win the World Series this year, Tigger might even find himself taking those naps on a set of gold slats.

WilliamTheIrish
10-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Kitties or no, LaRussa's a Klown.

BigRedChief
10-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Kitties or no, LaRussa's a Klown.

A fluff piece about players showing kindness to stray cats and it took only the first post for the Cardinal hate to come out. :sulk:

Rain Man
10-19-2005, 09:48 AM
This is just adorable.

WilliamTheIrish
10-19-2005, 10:14 AM
A fluff piece about players showing kindness to stray cats and it took only the first post for the Cardinal hate to come out. :sulk:

Dude, you really need to chill. Larussa is a world class asshole. It has nothing to do with him being a Cardinal.

1) He was an asshole when I first met him in 1983 when he was the manager of the White Sux. He was an asshole when he wrote in his book that guys who worked to establish sabermetrics were ruining the game. Apparently the average fan had no need for the intimate knowledge of what Joe Smith hits with RISP. Or home road splits.
What's happened in MLB since LaRussa began managing? Smart cards fans should know this. The game has been lengthened by about an hour.
Why? Because LaRussa introduced the modern bullpen with it's restriced roles and uncountable pitching changes, and matchups...et al.

Yet sabermatrics is ruining the game.

He claims to know much about steroids. But refuses to even acknowledge that during his run with the A's his two biggest boppers were juiced.

Everybody claims that he's a pretty smart fella, yet he wasn't aware.... must be a lawyer.

The guy's a first class Klown and no story about kittens is going to change that.

Now I realize he's not alone in not wanting to step up and be counted. Not too many in baseball are willing to talk about the roid issue in baseball. Plenty of cowardice to go around there.

shaneo69
10-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Does anyone know how to "off" a cat, while making it look like an accident? Commit "catricide" if you will? My sister's cat is really starting to tick me off....

MOhillbilly
10-19-2005, 11:33 AM
i read about this earlier-heres a video of one of the cats.

http://www.flurl.com/uploaded/Car_vs_Rats_1944.html (http://www.flurl.com/uploaded/Car_vs_Rats_1944.html)

BigRedChief
10-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Dude, you really need to chill. Larussa is a world class asshole. It has nothing to do with him being a Cardinal.

1) He was an asshole when I first met him in 1983 when he was the manager of the White Sux. He was an asshole when he wrote in his book that guys who worked to establish sabermetrics were ruining the game. Apparently the average fan had no need for the intimate knowledge of what Joe Smith hits with RISP. Or home road splits.
What's happened in MLB since LaRussa began managing? Smart cards fans should know this. The game has been lengthened by about an hour.
Why? Because LaRussa introduced the modern bullpen with it's restriced roles and uncountable pitching changes, and matchups...et al.

Yet sabermatrics is ruining the game.

He claims to know much about steroids. But refuses to even acknowledge that during his run with the A's his two biggest boppers were juiced.

Everybody claims that he's a pretty smart fella, yet he wasn't aware.... must be a lawyer.

The guy's a first class Klown and no story about kittens is going to change that.

Now I realize he's not alone in not wanting to step up and be counted. Not too many in baseball are willing to talk about the roid issue in baseball. Plenty of cowardice to go around there.

I shall let your last two posts speak for themselfs about who needs to chill.

WilliamTheIrish
10-19-2005, 12:08 PM
I shall let your last two posts speak for themselfs about who needs to chill.

Translation: You have nothing.

That's okay. He's your team's manager. I understand.