PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Patrick Surtain

Hammock Parties
10-19-2005, 05:40 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/10/19/qa_cb_patrick_surtain2a/

Q&A CB PATRICK SURTAIN
Oct 19, 2005, 4:07:20 PM

MIAMI CONFERENCE CALL

Q: Did you take it personally when the Dolphins decided to trade you to Kansas City?

SURTAIN: “Not at all. It was a business decision. I had one year left on my deal, but you have to understand when you get seven to eight years in the league you understand it’s a business and they made a business decision. I was happy with the seven years I played in Miami, but I just think it was time to move on.”

Q: How will it feel to go against guys who used to be your teammates? Will it be an advantage for you at all?

SURTAIN: “It’s going to be strange. It’s going to help me somewhat because I know what those guys like to do and I know some of their releases but they run a totally different offense, so in one aspect it will but an other aspect they run different routes now so it’s a whole new thing.”

Q: What will you think when you walk into that stadium as an opponent?

SURTAIN: “Am I really on the opposing team? When you stay in one place for your career for so long you get used to things and just walking through that stadium some memories are going to come back but when the game starts all that will go away and I just have to go out there and play football.”

Q: How do you think you’ll be received?

SURTAIN: “I am thinking good. I don’t think I have done anything to tick those guys off. I gave them seven great years and I accept a warm reception.”

Q: Talk about the challenges of facing a Miami offense that includes both rookie RB Ronnie Brown and RB Ricky Williams?

SURTAIN: “It’s tough. Both those guys are great backs. They can do different things and both of them are really good out of the backfield catching the ball. We are going to have to be on our Ps and Qs because both those guys can hurt us at any given time and that’s the key for the whole game stopping those guys and making them one-dimensional.”

Q: Why is it so difficult when both of those guys are in the game?

SURTAIN: “It is because when you have a true fullback out there 99 percent of the time the running back is going to get the ball, but when you have two halfbacks, either guy can get it and they can do different things with it, so it presents a different challenge.”

Q: What are your thoughts on the return of RB Ricky Williams?

SURTAIN: “I think it’s great and everybody deserves a second chance and he made a decision to leave the game and it was a personal decision so who am I to judge. RB Ricky (Williams) and I are pretty good friends when I was there. He was a cool guy to me. I just wish him the best of luck and hope that he regains the form he had a couple years ago.”

Q: Do you expect CB Sam Madison to be trash talking?

SURTAIN: “That’s Sam. I don’t know if he toned it down this year or whatever. I really haven’t been watching, but that’s Sam. He is going against the offense. He is not going against me and that gets him going, so I expect a little bit of trash talking but not too much.”

Q: Talk about the addition of your former Dolphins teammate S Sammy Knight to this team?

SURTAIN: “It has been great. From day one when I came here, Sammy has meant the world to this defense to this secondary to this whole team and I think guys really respect him. The way he has been playing this year has been phenomenal. Just having him back there and playing with him for two years in Miami, there’s certain things we can do that maybe the other guys can’t do so just the communication aspect of it has helped me tremendously.”

Q: What has Sammy been doing specifically?

SURTAIN: “The first five games he has been laying people out and that is why they brought us in there to provide some stability with the secondary. We have given up some yards this year, but we are 3-2. Hopefully we can get this thing turned around and get on the right track and make a run.”

Q: What are your impressions of the Miami offense this year?

SURTAIN: “It’s different because you know the system is different, but it’s fairly similar to when Norv (Turner) was there. But the players make the system. Even though the numbers don’t prove it I have tremendous respect for WR Chris Chambers. I think he is a gifted receiver who is under-utilized. I tell guys that all the time I used to go against him every day in practice so I know what kind of receiver the guy is. You can’t sleep on Marty Booker. He is a solid veteran who can get the job done. You have WR David (Boston). WR Wes (Welker), I used to go against Wes everyday in practice last year. He is a terrific receiver. He is quick, tough and been making a lot of plays. We are going to have our work cut out for us, but we will be ready for a challenge.”

Q: Did you speak to Coach Saban before you were traded?

SURTAIN: “I talked to Nick a couple of times and he told me it wasn’t due to my performance or anything because he would have loved to have kept me. It came down to a business decision. In the NFL business usually wins. He came to me like a man and told me the situation and I respected him for that. Like I said, I just think it was time to move on and I’m happy to be Chief. I am looking forward to the game come Sunday, if it is Sunday.”

Q: Were you happy with your time in Miami?

SURTAIN: “I was fortunate the Miami Dolphins organization gave me the opportunity to play seven long years there. I don’t look back on it because I had a great time there, but I am a Chief now. I guess the way the league views it seven years is a pretty long time to stay with one team. I am very happy with it.”

SLAG
10-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Surtain is a True Pro... All the way around.. great Class

Extra Point
10-19-2005, 05:52 PM
I think I'm very happy about Surtain and Knight being in our defensive secondary.

HemiEd
10-19-2005, 06:14 PM
He definately fits the profile! :D Sammy Knight has been great so far.

Adept Havelock
10-19-2005, 06:29 PM
I like what I'm seeing out of this CB...

HolmeZz
10-19-2005, 06:31 PM
Should've asked him when he's gonna update www.patricksurtain.net

HemiEd
10-19-2005, 06:42 PM
I like what I'm seeing out of this CB...

Sterling, is that you?

SLAG
10-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Should've asked him when he's gonna update www.patricksurtain.net

its not his web sight
www.patricksurtain.net][/url]

PatrickSurtain dot net Is an Unofficial Fan website about Pro Bowl cornerback, Patrick Surtain. We also provide Miami Dolphins information and content. Our goal with this website is to reach the fans of Patrick Surtain and spread the word of his great career, skills, donations, and services to the community.

PatrickSurtain dot net is a none profitable fan website, we have no interest in gaining money from this website and we have no intentions of taking profits from the NFL, Patrick Surtain, the Miami Dolphins organization, or any organization or company for that matter. This site is simply for the Fans. Although we will accept donations for the sites maintenance, our goal is not to gain profit at all.

This website is copyrighted, owned and maintained by Patrick Fromholz(webmaster). All images and information copyrighted by its respectful owner. NFL & Patrick Surtain.

Your visit to our site is very much appreciated. Please spread the word and help the site grow.

Thanks Alot!
~Patrick Fromholz