PDA

View Full Version : Watching the Redskin game on tape...

Mr. Laz
10-19-2005, 06:54 PM
and Washington just out schemed the hell outa us imo.

we put alot of pressure on both our offensive and defensive line.

==================
on the offensive side of the ball, we pretty much went with our 5 offensive lineman and 1 running back as pass blockers.

5 1/2 blockers (1/2 = RB)

on defense Washington almost always came with 5 rushers. The 4 defensive lineman and a linebacker or safety.

leaving us basically 1 on 1 in pass protection

in addition to rushing 5 ... Washington also used an imbalanced rush. Putting 3 rushers on 1 side of our center, forcing single man blocking.

several times we had our guards(shields/waters) standing there blocking air while on the other side they were fighting hard one on one.

To keep our guards honest and from us slanting block coverage they would use the 5th rusher as a delayed linebacker/blitzer who would wait until our blockers committed themselves and then attacked the open spot. So if shields/waters didn't sit there and guard the open space a linebacker would loop in and nail Trent Green.

tough jobs for offensive line ... very tough.

====================

on the defensive side of the ball, we would only rush 4 defensive line and they would almost always rush straight up. No slanting,stunts or imbalanced line.

Washington also kept a tightend almost all the time

5 offensive lineman, 1 tightend, 1 running back

6 1/2 on our 4 defensive lineman.

They would usually double Dalton with a guard/center and then on the other side the guard/tackle/tightend would go 3 on 2 against the other DT and DE.

their RB would be in the backfield looking to chip the 1 on 1 DE if needed.

every Washington blocker had help close by and sometimes Washington had enough blockers to basically just clog up the rush lanes.

only the inability of the backside offensive tackle to handle Jared Allen saved our butts. Also the way we flipped Allen from RDE to LDE help prevent Washington from shifted their Tightend to help.
============================

either way our scheme sure as heck didn't help our pass rush the way Washington's did.

we leave our offensive line hanging in the wind forcing them to adjust on the fly and block man on man even with stunts and blitzing.

Hammock Parties
10-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Laz, change your sig.

Deberg_1990
10-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Greg Williams > Gunther Cunningham. Simple as that. Did these two ever work together in Tennessee??

Hammock Parties
10-19-2005, 07:15 PM
I don't really this is due to any specific gameplanning. The Chiefs OFTEN go into games putting a lot of pressure on their offensive line. Likewise, Joe Gibbs often keeps extra people into block, he used to do that back in the 80s too.

Deberg_1990
10-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Greg Williams > Gunther Cunningham. Simple as that. Did these two ever work together in Tennessee??

Nope, they never did....

http://www.redskins.com/team/cprofile.jsp?id=47

Man, we really missed out on not hiring this guy.

Mr. Laz
10-19-2005, 07:20 PM
but it's not just defense .. on offense we left our struggling Oline hanging.

my point was that maybe our offensive/defensive lines aren't doing as bad as it seems.

we were asking our 4 dlineman to beat 6 1/2 blockers :shake:

go bo
10-19-2005, 08:46 PM
hey, one of those four is one of the greatest defensive ends to ever play the game...

eric hicks...

Hammock Parties
10-19-2005, 08:48 PM
we were asking our 4 dlineman to beat 6 1/2 blockers :shake:

I don't think we were necessarily asking them to do that. At the same time, when the offense leaves that many in to block, there are more guys covering less receivers.

Would you rather Gunther blitz into that max protect scheme and leave wide open receivers?

milkman
10-19-2005, 08:51 PM
I don't think we were necessarily asking them to do that. At the same time, when the offense leaves that many in to block, there are more guys covering less receivers.

Would you rather Gunther blitz into that max protect scheme and leave wide open receivers?

In case you hadn't noticed, there are always wide open receivers against us.

Reaper16
10-19-2005, 08:52 PM
I've always liked Gregg Williams. Then again, I'm a little biased coming from his hometown. Great guy who still does alot to help out little ol' Excelsior Springs.

Hammock Parties
10-19-2005, 08:53 PM
In case you hadn't noticed, there are always wide open receivers against us.

ROFL

The other thing about Washington's scheme is often someone in that max protect scheme will appear to be blocking and then peel off and they are wide open. I think we did a good job against that on Sunday.

Garcia Bronco
10-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Joe Gibbs has an excellent staff....and they game plan well. This should be no surprise

Bob Dole
10-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Joe Gibbs has an excellent staff....and they game plan well. This should be no surprise

Not true.

We suck and were lucky to escape with a win.

tommykat
10-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Not true.

We suck and were lucky to escape with a win.
Don't hold back Bob ;) The Senator is always correct, right? :rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
10-20-2005, 09:48 AM
That may be true... but i was pretty surprised about how little we did in scheme for our lines.