PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: Hitchhikers

Rain Man
10-20-2005, 07:56 AM
You're traveling down a lightly traveled state highway in eastern (insert random state here). You like to avoid the interstate, and this way the fuzz won't run any checks on your license plates. Besides, the back roads are the only way to experience diners and small towns and little motels run by people from south Asia who clean up after mobile meth labs. You're on a casual cross-country drive to see America and collect those little magnets for every state that you see in truck stops.

As you're driving down the road, you see a figure off in the distance. It's a person, standing on the side of the road with a thumb extended and a sign stating a destination that is directly along your path.

The person is a (minor/young adult/adult/senior citizen) who is (scruffy/spiffy), and is (male/female). The sign indicates a destination that is a (short/long) distance away. You know that the person will have a difficult time getting a ride on this road, because traffic is light. However, it's not so light that they have no hope. The weather is pleasant.

Do you give the person a ride?

For poll purposes, please use the following definitions:

Minor - Appears to be about 15 years old
Young Adult - Appears to be about 22 years old
Adult - Appears to be about 40 years old
Senior - Appears to be about 65 years old

Scruffy - Person is wearing clothes that could obviously use a wash, with a backpack that is filthy from spending a lot of time sitting around outside. Males have two days' growth and hair that's kind of sticking up, while females have hair that's flat from not being washed for a couple of days.
Spiffy - Person looks freshly showered and is wearing clean clothes that look relatively new. They have reasonably well-coiffed hair that is low-maintenance but well-groomed.

Male - Person has features generally associated with men: bigger shoulders, narrow hips, slight five o'clock shadow, more angular facial features.
Female - Person has boobs and stuff

Long-Distance - Person is holding a sign for a destination that is two days' drive along your route. If you pick them up, it's possible that they could ride with you for two days.
Short-Distance - Person is holding a sign for a destination that is three hours along your route.

Otter
10-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Male - Person has features generally associated with men: bigger shoulders, narrow hips

...tight buttocks, rippling muscles, sweat gleaming in the sunlight...

Rain Man
10-20-2005, 08:08 AM
...tight buttocks, rippling muscles, sweat gleaming in the sunlight...

Um...yeah. With piercing steel blue eyes and a strong, manly jawline.

So...how about those Astros?

MOhillbilly
10-20-2005, 08:13 AM
doesnt matter ive picked up hitchhikers before-but i carry a magnum everywhere.

trndobrd
10-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Do any of them look like they would be missed if they were to disappear without explanation?

Extra Point
10-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Doesn't matter to me, either. I didn't pick the man with the chainsaw, due to gender bias. Women have every right to carry running chainsaws.

deadbabyseal
10-20-2005, 09:13 AM
doesnt matter ive picked up hitchhikers before-but i carry a magnum everywhere.
For those unexpected hitchhiker encounters.

Biohazard
10-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Female for me please. You know the book of the road, because I did'nt until the Jay and Silent Bob movie.

Rain Man
10-20-2005, 09:49 AM
For those unexpected hitchhiker encounters.

ROFL

Now mohillbilly is going to find you and shoot you. Or maybe rape you. I'm not sure any more.

chagrin
10-20-2005, 10:00 AM
I would vote "other"

I would pick up a hitchhiker, and kill him/her before they had the chance to kill me.