PDA

View Full Version : Hey Whitlock! When Exactly Did Surtain Struggle??

petegz28
10-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Was it when he was being held to keep from intercepting a pass in the end zone? Or was it when he was taking out the running back 3 yards deep in the back field???

Just curious. Can you please explain to all of us who wathced the game but apparently lack your intellect as to what REALLY happened?

WestCoastReggie
10-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Sutain should just get better. As he continues to learn the ends and outs of the scheme, he should have more opportunites to more tackles, interceptions, etc. I think he can still make the probowl.

Sure-Oz
10-22-2005, 12:46 PM
He struggled when he didnt make that interception, surtain was def. not worth the 2nd round pick........

HolmeZz
10-22-2005, 12:49 PM
He struggled to let Chambers get open.

WestCoastReggie
10-22-2005, 12:51 PM
We'll find out by the end of the season with Randy Moss, Gates, etc on our schedule.

Bowser
10-22-2005, 12:51 PM
He struggled with his feelings as he watched his former team and defense get bitchslapped.

Then he got over it. Quickly.

Coach
10-22-2005, 12:56 PM
I think Whitlock was actually struggling, eating while watching the game. I guess somehow, a piece of big-assed Porkchop got lodged in his throat, cutting off his air supply while Surtain just nailed Ricky Williams for a 2 yard loss.

:shrug:

HemiEd
10-22-2005, 02:28 PM
He only struggles in jWhits eyes because his name is not Ty Law.

TeamPriest31
10-22-2005, 02:38 PM
I don't know people. Surtain is frustrating me. Besides week 1 against the Jets he has not delivered. For the $ that he was given and that 2nd round draft choice, I don't understand why he does not check the #1 reciever each week. I went to the Skins game and he should have been checking Santana Moss every play, instead of bum ass McCleon. He needs to step up his A game.

morphius
10-22-2005, 02:42 PM
I don't know people. Surtain is frustrating me. Besides week 1 against the Jets he has not delivered. For the $ that he was given and that 2nd round draft choice, I don't understand why he does not check the #1 reciever each week. I went to the Skins game and he should have been checking Santana Moss every play, instead of bum ass McCleon. He needs to step up his A game.
That is the coaches decision, not his...

TeamPriest31
10-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Yeah! You might be right. Sometimes I question Gunther, but that is my man. So I know that he will get the defense together. I hope!

DaWolf
10-22-2005, 02:51 PM
That is the coaches decision, not his...
Yup, some schemes and coaches just set it up so that a perticular DB is assigned to one side of the field and has to know their assignments for that side. It is just based on the type of defense we run. We use a lot of zone and that sort of thing so I believe that is mainly the reason why. If we ran a pure man to man D it would be easier to let the corner roam with the reciever. I remember a few years ago when Willie Shaw was the DC in Oakland it caused a huge uproar there because he would not allow Charles Woodson to move around to the other side of the field and so teams would just shift their best reciever to their other crap corner and burn them, a big reason why Shaw got canned...

morphius
10-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Yup, some schemes and coaches just set it up so that a perticular DB is assigned to one side of the field and has to know their assignments for that side. It is just based on the type of defense we run. We use a lot of zone and that sort of thing so I believe that is mainly the reason why. If we ran a pure man to man D it would be easier to let the corner roam with the reciever. I remember a few years ago when Willie Shaw was the DC in Oakland it caused a huge uproar there because he would not allow Charles Woodson to move around to the other side of the field and so teams would just shift their best reciever to their other crap corner and burn them, a big reason why Shaw got canned...
Yup, and that is exactly our scheme here to a T. At least we played a little less zone this last game. Maybe by the end of the year we can get this turned around.

wazu
10-22-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm not a Whitlock hater, but his Surtain reference just seems crazy. I don't think anybody has an idea what he is talking about.

philfree
10-22-2005, 03:19 PM
I think with Warfield in the game each CB playing right or left is gonna be fine. While Surtain is a better CB then Warfield, Warfield is not a bad CB and he can hold his own against most WRs. I'm don't know how bad our injuries are from the Dolphins game but if everyone is recovered by next Sunday our D should be the strongest it's been all year.

PhilFree:arrow:

Calcountry
10-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Was it when he was being held to keep from intercepting a pass in the end zone? Or was it when he was taking out the running back 3 yards deep in the back field???

Just curious. Can you please explain to all of us who wathced the game but apparently lack your intellect as to what REALLY happened?We may lack his intellect, but he has us beat on physique hands down.

petegz28
10-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Sutain should just get better. As he continues to learn the ends and outs of the scheme, he should have more opportunites to more tackles, interceptions, etc. I think he can still make the probowl.

A) How many times has he been burnt for a TD? Once by Randy Moss shoving off of Knight

B) How many times have teams thrown at him? Very few.

C) How can you get interceptions if the other team doesn't throw your way? Beats me!

Hammock Parties
10-22-2005, 04:01 PM
I was kinda pissed Surtain didn't make that pick last night. I've got a Surtain/Bailey INT bet going with a Donk fan at the Mane.

Pants
10-22-2005, 04:33 PM
I was kinda pissed Surtain didn't make that pick last night. I've got a Surtain/Bailey INT bet going with a Donk fan at the Mane.

He almost had 2, dude. I was going nuts.

Hammock Parties
10-22-2005, 04:34 PM
He almost had 2, dude. I was going nuts.

You nutty red bastard!

wazu
10-22-2005, 05:02 PM

So maybe breaking up passes counts as "struggling" if you don't also intercept the broken passes.

Mecca
10-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Whitlock is just looking for things to bitch about so people will talk about his column. The easiest position to pick on on the defense is corner. Since even if the corner had a good game you can say "well the reciever was actually open the QB just didn't make the throw".

Just typical Whitlock here, being negative to get people to talk about what he says.

Dunit35
10-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Surtain's doing, just doesnt have stats.

philfree
10-23-2005, 02:25 AM
The Surtain struggling BS is all about Jason wanting to prove he was right when he said we should sign Ty Law. He wants so very badly to live up to his self endorsed hype as a NFL Guru...........He's got me pretty convinced that we should sign Jeff George though :rolleyes:

PhilFree:arrow:

Wile_E_Coyote
10-23-2005, 08:34 AM
I read over on Finheaven that Surtain was booed when he was introduced. I maybe could understand that if he became a Bill, Jet or Pat. Fin fans suck ass like Whitlock sucks rib bones

morphius
10-23-2005, 08:37 AM
I read over on Finheaven that Surtain was booed when he was introduced. I maybe could understand that if he became a Bill, Jet or Pat. Fin fans suck ass like Whitlock sucks rib bones
eh, its a tough call really. Just some fans having a bit of fun I'm sure.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-23-2005, 08:45 AM
eh, its a tough call really. Just some fans having a bit of fun I'm sure.

Pat said in an article that he thought he would get a warm reception in Miami. His year hasn't been going all that great. Home town wiped out, father goes missing. In getting dissed by Fatlock, things could be looking up for him :)

Chieftain58
10-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Surtain wasn't worth a 2nd? What R u Smoking?

Thig Lyfe
10-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Maybe if they stopped having Surtain play soft zone on Zach Crockett while they let Randy Moss fly past Dexter McCleon for 300 receiving yards, the stats would start showing up.

Surtain has been a major improvement this year, and you can't look to stats too see why. The stats are a misnomer because of the scheme. You have to watch what Surtain does in the field to know how he contributes.

OldTownChief
10-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Maybe if they stopped having Surtain play soft zone on Zach Crockett while they let Randy Moss fly past Dexter McCleon for 300 receiving yards, the stats would start showing up.

Surtain has been a major improvement this year, and you can't look to stats too see why. The stats are a misnomer because of the scheme. You have to watch what Surtain does in the field to know how he contributes.

Hopefully McPisson is now a thing of the past.

DonJaun
10-23-2005, 11:56 AM
Surtain i think is doing fine. He has made some plays that wouldnt have been made last year. The one that is struggling and needs more playing time is Warfield. McCleon needs to quit!

RINGLEADER
10-23-2005, 11:59 AM
I guess Whitty doesn't have an answer sufficiently coherent enough to back-up his own column...

Chromatic
10-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Surtain struggling? That's news to me. 95% of the time I saw him on Friday night, he was doing something productive.

I'm just wondering if our defense(without mccleon, thank god) was actually playing pretty good or if Miami's offense was just playing poorly.