PDA

View Full Version : Questions on finishing a basement

KevB
10-24-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm buying a home that has a partially finished basement. That is, the stairway and one wall is drywalled, and the finished wall has electrical work completed. It's probably 450 sq. ft. in total. I figure I'll need to have some electrical work done, frame and drywall three walls, drywall the ceiling (with a knockdown ceiling), and carpet. There won't be a bathroom, so no plumbing. I doubt I'll put in a bar at this point either, although it's something I'll be looking into.

Anyone have any words of wisdom or suggestions? Any thoughts on cost?

JimNasium
10-24-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm buying a home that has a partially finished basement. That is, the stairway and one wall is drywalled, and the finished wall has electrical work completed. It's probably 450 sq. ft. in total. I figure I'll need to have some electrical work done, frame and drywall three walls, drywall the ceiling (with a knockdown ceiling), and carpet. There won't be a bathroom, so no plumbing. I doubt I'll put in a bar at this point either, although it's something I'll be looking into.

Anyone have any words of wisdom or suggestions? Any thoughts on cost?
Do you live anywhere near Mexico?

penguinz
10-24-2005, 02:37 PM
If you put in a bar you need a bathroom!

JimNasium
10-24-2005, 02:38 PM
Or at the very least a supply of milk jugs.

Brock
10-24-2005, 02:38 PM
Sounds like a piece of cake. Hope you have a sump pump.

Simplex3
10-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Make sure it drains properly BEFORE you put down your flooring. Also see if the basement has any seepage problems. Nothing will piss you off more than to have it flood and ruin the whole thing three weeks after finishing it.

GoTrav
10-24-2005, 03:03 PM

ya, at least plumb it in case you do decide to put in a bar and bathroom. IMO you can't have one without the other, unless you have easy access to a pisser that isn't on the main floor. We finished a sub-basement last year for about an 8X10 room, and it ended up being around 2k IIRC. That included electrical, drywall, painting, flooring, etc. The only thing we went cheap on was the floor, grabbing those square tiles that you basically stick to the floor. No plumbing was done or needed since we didn't plan, or even have the room for a bar or bathroom. You should be able to find some information on how much it is on average per square foot to finish it.

My buddy did a much larger basement and it took him over a year to finish. He contracted out the drywall and a few other parts. I'd say he had well over 5k into not including furniture, tv, surround sound.

Hoover
10-24-2005, 03:47 PM
I have a question along these lines as well.

I bought my house in May, the basement is pretty much finished, I have a large TV room, and a huge pool table room. I want to add a full bathroom to the basement, because nothing pisses me off more than having to run upstairs.

Here is the deal, my sewer line is about 4 foot abouve the bottom of may basement floor. There are 2 places I'm considering adding this bathroom, both are a ways from the sewer line. Any ideas how to make his work? Is this going to be a huge pain in the ass?

JimNasium
10-24-2005, 03:52 PM

I bought my house in May, the basement is pretty much finished, I have a large TV room, and a huge pool table room. I want to add a full bathroom to the basement, because nothing pisses me off more than having to run upstairs.

Here is the deal, my sewer line is about 4 foot abouve the bottom of may basement floor. There are 2 places I'm considering adding this bathroom, both are a ways from the sewer line. Any ideas how to make his work? Is this going to be a huge pain in the ass?
http://doityourself.com/toilet/toiletoptions.htm

sedated
10-24-2005, 04:01 PM
I keep a chained up, pantless Officer Barbrady in my basement.

He finishes it quite nicley.

Phobia
10-24-2005, 04:11 PM
I don't know anything about it.

Bowser
10-24-2005, 04:14 PM
I don't know anything about it.

Now you ****ing tell me......

Phobia
10-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Now you ****ing tell me......

Oh. Sorry. I didn't know you'd read this thread. My prices have gone up. In fact they've doubled. Price of fuel, ya know?

Bowser
10-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Oh. Sorry. I didn't know you'd read this thread. My prices have gone up. In fact they've doubled. Price of fuel, ya know?

Finish my basement, and I'll buy you a used Yugo. Deal?

Bigwigbob
10-24-2005, 04:26 PM
make sure you insulate it well. A nice r-19 in the ceiling and an r-13 in the walls.

Skip Towne
10-24-2005, 04:49 PM

The first rule of plumbing is "shit won't run uphill".

KevB
10-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Sounds like a piece of cake. Hope you have a sump pump.

I've got a sump pump, and the first thing I'll do is check for leaks, condensation, etc.

KevB
10-24-2005, 09:08 PM
My buddy did a much larger basement and it took him over a year to finish. He contracted out the drywall and a few other parts. I'd say he had well over 5k into not including furniture, tv, surround sound.

I've already got the furniture, TV, surround, etc. Now I just need a place to put it in the new place.

Baby Lee
10-25-2005, 06:36 AM
The first rule of plumbing is "shit won't run uphill".
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infplumb/infupf.shtm

plbrdude
10-25-2005, 07:00 AM

there is a couple of options.
sewage pump is one, dont go buy a sump pump and expect it to work.sump pumps are not intended to pass sewage. most sewage, or effluant, if your highly educated come with a "pit" which is sealed and must be vented and will pump the sewage to a drain. also there is a company that makes a toilet on a platform that has a pump built in,also a secondary inlet for a lav or a shower.

Inspector
10-25-2005, 07:53 AM
there is a couple of options.
sewage pump is one, dont go buy a sump pump and expect it to work.sump pumps are not intended to pass sewage. most sewage, or effluant, if your highly educated come with a "pit" which is sealed and must be vented and will pump the sewage to a drain. also there is a company that makes a toilet on a platform that has a pump built in,also a secondary inlet for a lav or a shower.

My brother-in-law just put in one of those poop pump toilets. So far it seems to be OK.

I am almost finished with a basement job at my house. We put a kitchen and bath in so it was more expensive than it had to be.

Good luck.

Seek
10-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Anyone have any words of wisdom or suggestions? Any thoughts on cost?[/QUOTE]

I am finishing my basement right now. We have ours planned out to be around 3K with 2 full walls, a storage room about 6x20 Probably around 3K. and 2 half walls, already half done. With no plumbing either.

We debated the drop down ceiling with tiles, but we found out it cost more, and it does not hold the same resale value as a sheet rocks ceiling. So we went with Sheet Rock for the ceiling.

We figued the sheet rock and studs would cost us around 800. Then the extra stuff like, tape, liquid nails, corners, mud, trim, paint, electrical wire. We decided to use screws for the studs instead of nails. Plus we used screws to anchor it into the concrete plus sheet rock screws for about 600. Then carpet around 1400.

If you don't have a mitre saw or table saw, I would suggest borrowing one, or adding one into your budget. You can get one for 100. You will love it, It saves you tons of frustration compared to a skill saw.