PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Chargers discussion thread...

Hammock Parties
10-24-2005, 09:24 PM
We're getting no respect. The Eggos are favored by six.

The crew over at Signonsandiego is still crying in their beer over the Philly game. Hardly any KC talk at all.

SD appears to be similar to the team they had last year, except Brees is turning the ball over more. They have an improved pass rush, but their pass D is still a weakness.

I'll step aside and let xxxShogunxxx take over.

bishop_74
10-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Good. Piss off the Chiefs. I think we play better motivated.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Stop LT, get after Brees, we'll win.

I'm pretty confident we can win, but it's up to the Chiefs, not me...

Reaper16
10-24-2005, 10:29 PM
From the Official Chargers Gameplan, I've found that BEER is essential to our success next week.

Mecca
10-24-2005, 10:31 PM
From the Official Chargers Gameplan, I've found that BEER is essential to our success next week.

And Boobs, don't forget the Boobs.

Reaper16
10-24-2005, 10:34 PM
And Boobs, don't forget the Boobs.
ROFL ROFL Damn, good call. Can't ever forget those.

Dunit35
10-24-2005, 11:14 PM
STOP LT, ITS THAT SIMPLE, look at what Philly did.

Mecca
10-24-2005, 11:15 PM
STOP LT, ITS THAT SIMPLE, look at what Philly did.

Of course Philly probably should have lost that game...But that was more their offenses fault.

Dunit35
10-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Hard to believe no one's ever thought of it before.

yeah, weird. But the STOP LT, ITS THAT SIMPLE...is just my opinion. ROFL

luv
10-25-2005, 12:04 AM
Of course Philly probably should have lost that game...But that was more their offenses fault.
Or just have some hot chick in the front row flash them. While their attention is diverted, just think of what we could do!

KC Jones
10-25-2005, 12:07 AM
I think we'll get whiped in SD.

1) It's a road game in the AFC West - those victories never come easy.
2) Chargers have their backs against the wall. Lose this and they have little shot at the post season. Win, and they are right back in the thick of it.
3) We can't do to their offense what Philly did because we just don't have the personnel for it. Stack the LOS to stop LT and our secondary will get beat. Not to mention I think LT will find a cutback lane against us that he didn't against Philly. When that happens against 8-9 in the box... he's taking it to the house.
4) They pretty much pwned us last year.
5) Just my opinion, but I don't think we're a dominant team, just barely above average is all. I didn't get to see the Miami game, but I have yet to see us play all that great of football. The Jets game was nice, but look at where they are now. Not to mention Coles dropped TDs. We've managed to win a few close games thanks to some of our opponents helping us out, but when we ran into good teams we got pounded.

Chargers will win this one and it may even be ugly.

If we can find a way to pull this out, then maybe we're a better team than I think and have a shot at the postseason, but I still doubt it.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2005, 12:12 AM

We've managed to win a few close games thanks to some of our opponents helping us out, but when we ran into good teams we got pounded.

This is where I started to disagree with you. We played the Chargers EXTREMELY close in Arrowhead last year. We had leads of 14-7, 17-14, 24-17 and 31-24.

I also disagree with your second bit there. We got pounded by Denver, no question. Against Philly we were not pounded by any means and we beat Washington.

Also, I wish you could see the Miami game. We looked terrific on offense, and the defense was great.

NJ Chief Fan
10-25-2005, 12:15 AM
in all honesty i wanted the chargers to win, even though a philly win did us more justice...but i rather see us get that win, them being the (homos from philly) stoppin lt2 is not a good thing for us...this only means one thing lt is gonna have atleast a decent game against our d..but that does not mean i dont think we could beat them...we have a every good oppurtunity to go into sd and get a conference road win which is a big and great thing...if we win its going to be close

Taco John
10-25-2005, 12:18 AM
We're getting no respect. The Eggos are favored by six.

The crew over at Signonsandiego is still crying in their beer over the Philly game. Hardly any KC talk at all.

SD appears to be similar to the team they had last year, except Brees is turning the ball over more. They have an improved pass rush, but their pass D is still a weakness.

I'll step aside and let xxxShogunxxx take over.

It's only Monday after a loss. Are you so self centered that you think that the Chargers should already be talking about your team? As if this place is focused on next Sunday the Monday after a loss...

Hammock Parties
10-25-2005, 12:20 AM
It's only Monday after a loss. Are you so self centered that you think that the Chargers should already be talking about your team? As if this place is focused on next Sunday the Monday after a loss...

Personally I like to move on as quickly as possible after a loss. I would think they would have at least ONE thread about us, but whatever, it's not important. I know the Mane had a couple Philly threads.

beer bacon
10-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Everyone needs to remember we will be playing Marty. If we can keep it close their is a good chance God will once again smite him for being hyper-conservative.

cdcox
10-25-2005, 12:26 AM
This is where I started to disagree with you. We played the Chargers EXTREMELY close in Arrowhead last year. We had leads of 14-7, 17-14, 24-17 and 31-24.

I also disagree with your second bit there. We got pounded by Denver, no question. Against Philly we were not pounded by any means and we beat Washington.

Also, I wish you could see the Miami game. We looked terrific on offense, and the defense was great.

I thought KCJones brought up some good points. I too think we will lose. I'll give you that we held our own against the Chargers at home last year, but we got pounded for 3/4 Q against Philli. I consider the first quarter to be the anomoly. I think the better team won that game.

I didn't think we looked that great against Miami. Yeah we pulled away, but it was anyone's game till midway through the 3rd Q. SD is far better than Miami. SD would have no more than one loss if Shottenheimer would quit trying to win close games and instead choke the life out of teams when he has them on the ropes.

beer bacon
10-25-2005, 12:29 AM
I thought KCJones brought up some good points. I too think we will lose. I'll give you that we held our own against the Chargers at home last year, but we got pounded for 3/4 Q against Philli. I consider the first quarter to be the anomoly. I think the better team won that game.

I didn't think we looked that great against Miami. Yeah we pulled away, but it was anyone's game till midway through the 3rd Q. SD is far better than Miami. SD would be have no more than one loss if Shottenheimer would quit trying to win close games and instead choke the life out of teams when he has them on the ropes.

Did you actually watch the Miami game? It was not competitive at all. We were in control and ahead the whole game. The one time they got the score close at the beginning of the 3rd quarter we came back and scored a TD in two plays.

I guess I don't agree about the Phil game either. If Warfield would have been playing I think we would have won that game. If we had played Phil on Sunday we would have beaten them by at least a TD. McNabb's injury is really starting to get to him.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2005, 12:29 AM
I didn't think we looked that great against Miami. Yeah we pulled away, but it was anyone's game till midway through the 3rd Q.

They had one decent drive against us for the entire game. We dominated time of possession the whole way.

beer bacon
10-25-2005, 12:30 AM
They had one decent drive against us for the entire game. We dominated time of possession the whole way.

No way man. We only held the ball for 24 minutes longer because they were scoring so fast.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2005, 12:31 AM
No way man. we only held the ball for 24 minutes longer because they were scoring so fast.

ROFL

cdcox
10-25-2005, 12:32 AM
After the first drive, out offense was pretty unproductive during the remainder of the 1st half.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2005, 12:35 AM
After the first drive, out offense was pretty unproductive during the remainder of the 1st half.

No so. We were driving again before the intentional grounding penalty stalled a drive. Then we had another 80 yard drive. Any way you slice it, that's 190 yards.

Granted we had a drought in the first half, but that just means our defense was even more impressive.

beer bacon
10-25-2005, 12:36 AM

We were up 14-6 at halftime. The Dolphins had 119 total yards and 19 rushing yards in the first half.

It is funny that we dominated Miami in a game that many people, including myself, thought would be extremely difficult for several reasons. One being that it was in Miami, where we always get owned, and two that we had to fly to Miami then play like four hours later. We went out and dominated the game, and now people are saying we still suck because for 30 seconds in the third quarter we were only leading by a single point.

beer bacon
10-25-2005, 12:36 AM
No so. We were driving again before the intentional grounding penalty stalled a drive. Then we had another 80 yard drive. Any way you slice it, that's 190 yards.

Granted we had a drought in the first half, but that just means our defense was impressive.

We had 210 yards and controlled the ball for 18 minutes and 59 seconds in the first half.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2005, 12:38 AM
We had 210 yards and controlled the ball for 18 minutes and 59 seconds in the first half.

Domination! :)

I actually think we're going to get beat in San Diego. Hope I'm wrong.

beer bacon
10-25-2005, 12:40 AM

I am back in full homer mode. I am hoping that the fans over at the signonsandiego board are right, and their offense was not only slowed down by the Eagles defense, but also by the multitude of injuries they have on their O-line.

cdcox
10-25-2005, 12:40 AM

And had three 3-and-outs and scored 14 points. Yeah we did some good things, but Miami was definitely still in the game.

tk13
10-25-2005, 12:41 AM
I have no idea what to expect Sunday. This team is so hard for me to get a read on. We have a couple close wins, a couple dominating wins, and a couple total meltdown losses. I don't know what this team is yet. Actually I don't think we'll really know till the end of the year because there are so many parts on defense trying to come together. I know the Chargers are going to bring it on Sunday though, if we're up to the challenge I'll be very pleased.

beer bacon
10-25-2005, 12:46 AM
And had three 3-and-outs and scored 14 points. Yeah we did some good things, but Miami was definitely still in the game.

And we were dominating the game. Lots of teams come back and win after getting dominated for 3/4s of a game. On the other hand, we dominated Miami, right to end, with our team in quite possibly one of the toughest situations any NFL team has been put under.

We dominated them in the first half by holding them to six points while scoring 14, and also by only letting them have the ball for 11 minutes.

We dominated them in the second half by countering a possibly momentum changing big run with a big run of our own. We then got a 17 point lead, and our offense controlled the ball for 23 minutes in the second half. We dominated the entire game. Just because we didn't put up 56 points doesn't mean we weren't in complete control.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2005, 12:52 AM
Lots of teams come back and win after getting dominated for 3/4s of a game. On the

Demonpenz
10-25-2005, 01:14 AM
who are we going to put on gates? I think we will hold LT under 90 I think Derrick johnson has a huge game and we forget about donnie edwards

Nasty
10-25-2005, 01:16 AM
Stop LT, get after Brees, we'll win.

I'm pretty confident we can win, but it's up to the Chiefs, not me...

It isnt easy to stop LT. Obviously, it can be done (Eagles), but I dont see you guys doing it. I aint saying they will beat you, but I just dont see your D containing LT.
Getting after Brees though is something you can do. Blitz him alot and double cover Gates. Basicly make McCardell beat Surtain (not gunna happen) Sutain should own him because Surtain is the s#!t. That is how you can slow down the Chargers. You cant shut them down, but you can slow them down and basicly shoot it out with them. LT, LJ, and Priest will all have big days.

As for who I think wins... I am gunna pick the Chargers to edge this one out and rebound this week against a division rival. It is JMO though... Regardless, it will be a good game... So Good luck!

Nasty

Hammock Parties
10-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Feel free to address me as Ms. Jackson.

I'm sorry Miss Jackson, but I am for real.

Anyong Bluth
10-25-2005, 02:37 AM
San Diego scares the crap out of me - simply because they are a solid team with many of the components to knock off anyone.

A number of fluke turnover's hurt them last week, and we have been on fortunate side of not having another team with 1 loss only in the AFCW.

Anyone that wants to comment on the game in Miami - please have actually watched it before trying to breakdown by means of radio play by play.

The Off. did make great strides in clicking - mostly because Al decided to mix up his pre-snap motion, and feed the run to free up the pass. Boerichter has been a godsend in picking up a couple of key completions that S.Parker had been dropping. Truth be told - Parker should be EK's understudy b/c the lil' guy has no business trying to run possession receiver routes when..... he's NOT a possession receiver and a lil' dude with speed we keep pimping as an asset in stretching the D- yet having run intermediate routes. Boe should be in on 3rd down plays- period. Kudos for getting Dunn worked in also so teams can't key in on the run should he be in.

If Samson can come back sucessfully, it should be a great help in tossing a few runs to the right side and preventing D's from stacking our left side.

I'm happy Warfield is back b/c I think he played a pretty decent game and Surtain did a great job too. Our S play in Miami was rather poop. Tivo'd the game and realize:
Wesley tried to punish Brown on the play he broke- but Sammy was the last guy that could have driven him out of bounds on his long run - Both failed.
On the long pass play - Warfield was stride for stride with the guy and laid out to play the ball and missed swatting it. That sucks- but he knew he had help up top and Knight tried to pop him and missed. While both guys are at fault- scheme wise, you play the ball 1st then your man. Props to EW for taking the blame after the game, but he did his job and Knight should have jacked up Chambers.

There were also a number of times where WR's got past our S's!! I appreciate their play in run D, but if you're the last line of D, I'm not feeling too keen to see some no name whiteboy having to be collared down by Wesley because he broke contain...

Not to bitch, really b/c the D played pretty well and so did the O- but a better performance by our squad will be required to leave San Diego with a win.

Lastly- I'm f*cking GD tired of the shitty special teams penalties we get. Has Dante had more then 1 or 2 returns NOT called back!???

Tynes and Colquitt stepped up huge in their play last week. Diarrea to anyone on here that talked smack on our punter b/c they simply looked at the stats - try watching a game and putting it in context next time you Randy Cross tryin-ta-wanna-be BIAT-CHES!!!

OzArK KrAzO
10-25-2005, 06:03 AM
San Diego's run defence sucks ass! If we pound there line and run only we will destroy them. TIME OF POSSESSION WILL BE THE FACTOR

tiptap
10-25-2005, 06:29 AM
The difference between the Eagles game lost and Washington and Miami victories can be attributed to the return of Roaf to the line. We already were leaking at the RT and Black hasn't got there to be playing LT. That meant that the finesse part of the Chief's game was great and why we could get out to an early lead against a good defense. But we weren't able to project a physical play in our offensive line when the Eagles caught up to our razzle dazzle. That element was present in the Washinton and Miami play. We need both elements to be good on offense. We could be great if the right side of the offense becomes more poductive. And you could see Shields play was better especially in the Miami game. We ran inside of tackle on the right and had some success. If the right side of the offense gets going, if the LB corp stops the short passing to the RB and if the secondary itself improves in coverage we can beat SD.

B_Ambuehl
10-25-2005, 09:47 AM
San Diego's run defense sucks ass! If we pound there line and run only we will destroy them.

31 other teams suck more ass against the run they do.

sedated
10-25-2005, 10:01 AM
San Diego's run defense sucks ass! If we pound there line and run only we will destroy them. TIME OF POSSESSION WILL BE THE FACTOR

I agree, but does Grandpa Dick?

He's still competing with Martz for the passing yards title. I only see 25 rushes this game (total). :shake:

Lzen
10-25-2005, 10:26 AM
San Diego's run defense sucks ass! If we pound there line and run only we will destroy them. TIME OF POSSESSION WILL BE THE FACTOR

I just love it when people make statements like this when the facts say otherwise. For the record, they are ranked #2 in rushing yards allowed per game and #4 in average per rush.

Iowanian
10-25-2005, 11:14 AM
I know there is a Chiefs thread at the eggo board, because I started it. None of the regulars were "ready to talk" about it yet......but there are a couple of "we're a 6pt favorite so we're going to stomp the Chefs" replies.

The middle of the Eggo Oline is beat up vs the weakest of the Chiefs D(DTs). The Eggo Run D is pretty stout and they've got an improved pass rush. The Chiefs will have to run enough to keep the safeties honest, attack the aggressive pass rush with screens and Green take it to their weak secondary.

The Middle of the Eggo Oline being weakend should help the Chiefs D manage(not contain) Tomlinson....get Brees in 3rd and Long and turn loose the Blitzing dogs.

I'm not throwing in the towel....The eggos are better than their record indicates, but they have proven beatable. If the Chiefs show up Focused, and playing like this game is important....They'll come home 5-2.

Chris Meck
10-25-2005, 11:31 AM
So, basically, if we don't win on the road, on a way short week of work, by at least 30 points while holding the opposition (who is playing at home, and gets paid to win too) to zero yards, then we're not very good.

And all those turnovers are gifts; the Chiefs don't create any of those with hustle and toughness.

Just making sure I understand.

Chris

Hoover
10-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Well since its a home game, and they are not 0-7 that gives every home team a plus 3, I think -3.5 to -6 is about right.

Warrior5
10-25-2005, 11:48 AM
San Diego's run defense sucks ass!

Are you insane, or just being ignorantly optimistic?

Red Dawg
10-25-2005, 11:58 AM

So do I. SD has almost won all their games against very stiff competion. They will be tough to beat even if you put LT in check. Our offense and defense will have play very well to win. No turnovers and no long plays.

CupidStunt
10-25-2005, 12:04 PM
I think we'll get whiped in SD.

1) It's a road game in the AFC West - those victories never come easy.
2) Chargers have their backs against the wall. Lose this and they have little shot at the post season. Win, and they are right back in the thick of it.
3) We can't do to their offense what Philly did because we just don't have the personnel for it. Stack the LOS to stop LT and our secondary will get beat. Not to mention I think LT will find a cutback lane against us that he didn't against Philly. When that happens against 8-9 in the box... he's taking it to the house.
5) Just my opinion, but I don't think we're a dominant team, just barely above average is all. I didn't get to see the Miami game, but I have yet to see us play all that great of football. The Jets game was nice, but look at where they are now. Not to mention Coles dropped TDs. We've managed to win a few close games thanks to some of our opponents helping us out, but when we ran into good teams we got pounded.

Chargers will win this one and it may even be ugly.

If we can find a way to pull this out, then maybe we're a better team than I think and have a shot at the postseason, but I still doubt it.

Philly is a fine measuring stick, and we took them to the woodshed for a half. Fluke? I don't think so. They came back after we did what everyone keeps claiming teams do to us: GIFT TURNOVERS.

If we're gifted with all these turnovers that's helping us win, then i'm going to call BS and say that's the EXACT thing that happened on the other foot against Philly.

Play turnover-free football, bring our offense, and just contain the big plays on defense, I don't see why ANY team in the NFL will "destroy" us.

We have the weapons to win shootouts, our D has proven capable enough to keep us in games at the very least.

Chris Meck
10-25-2005, 12:08 PM
I think we win this game.

Preparing for San Diego's offense is a LOT like preparing for ours; there's no need to run a scout team-our defense sees that offense every day in practice.

Lots of shifting, lots of motion, stud TE, stud RB, scrappy QB, a little weak at WR. They do a lot of the same things that we do, and with similar personnell.

You can man up outside with Surtain and Warfield, and roll a safety over to McCardell's side. You can put DJ and a safety on Gates. San Diego's line is dinged up; you should be able to control the line of scrimmage and generate some pressure on Brees.

Offensively, the reason we seem to be able to run on good run defenses is due to our tendency to stretch them out horizontally, where Priest/LJ can cut through the hole. 3-4's are a little better at stopping us, though-but again, I'll take big Willie pounding Edwards off the edge.

I think we win, and we win because we have the superior offensive line with nearly every other group being about equal in talent. We'll run better and protect better, thus we win.

And yeah, I know they're tough on the run, but so are we, actually.

Chris

kcirnamffoh
10-25-2005, 12:24 PM
The middle of the Eggo Oline is beat up vs the weakest of the Chiefs D(DTs).

Considering the Chiefs are 8th against the rush and 30th against the pass how does that equate to the DTs being the Chiefs' weakness :hmmm:

Don't use the no pass rush gripe because that is not really the DTs first responsibility. DTs don't get to many sacks. They don't really get a whole lot of tackles, either. Their job is to first, keep that LOS where it is and second, penetrate. So far Browning, Dalton and Saviaii have been doing a respectable job of keeping offensive linemen off their linebackers and plugging up the middle. Teams are not running right at the Chiefs like they have in the past. Reason? First I think the DTs are holding their own and secondly Mitchell is a totally different player this year. On passing downs I haven't seen a whole lot of room for opposing QBs to step up. Most of the time there are quick throws or latteral movements by QBs. That tells me the DTs are containing the middle of the pocket.

Pass coverage is the Chiefs' weakness. I thought the linebacker position was last year. Even though I think they still are not getting in the way of enough passes, their play against the run has improved that squad's overall performance. Man-to-man, the d-backs are still allowing too much separation therefore Gunther is forced to play zone. Not a good thing. They are getting burned by that. The Chiefs have to blitz in order to stop the pass which is largely throwing caution into the wind. That's hurting the Chiefs. It may get better, though, as the season progresses and they learn to play together. But the Chiefs d-line is certainly not their weakness. Not IMO, anyway.

Rausch
10-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Donnie Edwards has always had a problem with physical backs. I remember when he was still with us guys like Bettis and Staley would drag his azz nearly 5 yards down field.

Run LJ right at him. If Miami's LB's couldn't stop LJ the Chargers don't have a prayer.

This is definitely one of those games where we need to run the ball and control the clock.

kcirnamffoh
10-25-2005, 01:12 PM
SD has almost won all their games against very stiff competion. They will be tough to beat even if you put LT in check. Our offense and defense will have play very well to win. No turnovers and no long plays.

and they need to go in there believing/knowing they can win. SD has, I believe, the toughest schedule in the NFL. 3-4 is really very admirable. They are not knocked out but are down on one knee right now. A little niched up. The Chiefs beat them at home and that will put them down onto both knees.

...I don't see why ANY team in the NFL will "destroy" us.

Even though the Chiefs HAVE already been "destroyed" twice this season, the Vermeils' Chiefs have definitely shown a pattern of improving offensive play as the season progresses. With Cunningham back as D-coord, I think the same will happen on his side of the ball. So I agree, being dominated is a thing of the past, I think. They're coming together.

chiefsfan1963
10-25-2005, 01:15 PM
If Chiefs continue to improve each week then we will not be the same team Denver or Philly played. That means we have a better chance of winning in SD. This is huge next step for the Chiefs. Reach 5-2, no more divisional road games, have a chance to be divisional leader with a Denver loss, 2 1/2 games up on SD, 1 game up on Denver, and increased confidence and momentum. It's time to put the stake in the Chargers heart. A loss will keep the Chargers alive, Denver on top of the division, and a question in our players' minds if they truly are playoff bound.

Let's answer this question right now rather than waiting to the tail end of the season! :thumb:

Iowanian
10-25-2005, 02:16 PM
kcirmiatch,

Riddle me this. If the DTs are doing so well, why have they been forced, inseason to start using more 3-4 allignments? Why, in many of those 3-4 Allignments been using one of the DEs at NG?

I'd be interested to see if another posters is at all satisfied with the DT play this year. The LB speed and playmaking has been the difference in the run game imo.

Passing yardage? I'll lay that on 2 things...the Teams/WRs the Chiefs have faced (Terrel Owens and Randy Moss for starters), and Dexter McCleon 15 yards off the ball.

wolfpack0735
10-25-2005, 02:23 PM
this is a game where i would serious think about starting LJ over holmes, and run him 30+ times. LJ`s size would wear them down.plus ball control.

Iowanian
10-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Running Right AT the Eggos is exactly what should be done. They have too much speed at DE and OLB to stretch the field. Take advantage of the pass rush with screens and draws, and work on the 2ndary.