PDA

View Full Version : Biggio's wife slapped at ballpark

chief52
10-25-2005, 07:02 AM
Sad what some people will do at the ballpark...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3413703

Biggio's wife slapped at White Sox's ballpark
Guillen issues apology to Astro, condemns fan
By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen issued a public apology on behalf of his organization to Astros second baseman Craig Biggio, whose wife was slapped by a fan in the stands at U.S. Cellular Field.

"I feel like it's our fault, and I talked to (Biggio) about it, and he knows we're sorry," Guillen said. "He knows it was something we couldn't control. It wasn't like a fight. (The fan) hit the lady and left."

The incident occurred on Sunday night during Game 2 of the 101st World Series at Chicago's ballpark, where several members of the Astros' traveling party were harassed.

"He slapped her and ran," Biggio said of the fan who struck his wife, Patty. "She ran after him. My brother-in-law ended up putting him against the wall. That's pretty sorry."

Asked if Patty had been hurt, Biggio said his New Jersey-raised wife held her own.

"You don't slap a New Jersey girl and get away with it," he said. "That happens sometimes. It's terrible. It's over."

Added Guillen: "I wish she would have grabbed something and broken his head. If that happened to my family, it would have been a big problem. ... People should just go to the game and not bother people next to you, or you're not a White Sox fan or a baseball fan. Just enjoy the game. Drink if you want to drink; just respect the people next to you."

No criminal complaint was made against the fan, according to Chicago police.

Chicago defended
Biggio, manager Phil Garner, general manager Tim Purpura, catcher Brad Ausmus and several of the Astros were adamant that a few cowardly acts weren't indicative of the White Sox or Chicago fan base.

"The word was that the guy had been gouging her a little bit, pulling her hair and just doing some stupid things, things that are just not necessary," Garner said. "Have your fun. This (World Series) is a great thing for them and a great thing for us. Cheer and be as loud as you want to be and whatever else, but don't do that.

"I can't imagine Patty Biggio ever saying anything that would incite anything, either. I just can't imagine that. Even if she had, there's no excuse."

Despite the incident, Garner said he heard the Astros' traveling party had mostly positive experiences with the fans.

Nonetheless, Guillen did not hide his disgust at the treatment Patty Biggio received.

"On behalf of the White Sox organization, I just don't think we could control that," Guillen said. "But I think the family is a big part of my life. I think especially the kids. And when that happened in the ballpark, you feel you need to be supportive.

"When you're a man and you hit a lady, no matter whose wife it is or whose sister it is, you respect them. But it's something that's tough to control. It happened so quick."

More harassment
Although Patty Biggio was the only Astros wife who was slapped Sunday, she wasn't the only member of the traveling party who was harassed. Ausmus said his wife, Liz, endured some vulgar taunts and a few vulgar hand gestures throughout the night.

"Some of the treatment that the Astros families received at U.S. Cellular Field was a huge black eye for the city of Chicago," Ausmus said. "Now, I understand that's not indicative of all the people in the Chicago area, because I have friends and relatives there.

"I know the people of Chicago are overwhelmingly good people. But if I was from Chicago, I'd be embarrassed by the way the Astros' families were treated by the White Sox fans. My wife didn't get hit or anything, but people flipped her off and were screaming at her."

The attendance at U.S. Cellular Field was announced as 41,432 for Game 2, and the crowd was obviously overwhelmingly in support of the White Sox. With that in mind, Ausmus said there was little the Astros' family members could do in response. "You don't want to get caught in a situation where you're inflaming the masses," Ausmus said. "So I think as an Astros fan at a visiting park, you pretty much have to swallow it."

'Bring him to me'
Maybe so, but Guillen insinuated that he would have definitely defended anybody in the Astros' traveling party.

"I know the security in Chicago is doing a great job," Guillen said. "And when something happens so quick, you can't blame anybody. And the guy that did it, he should be brought to Biggio, and he's the one that can hopefully get him back.

"I told the police, 'Don't put him in jail. Bring him to me in the dugout.' But hopefully, that won't happen again."

Shortstop Adam Everett heard a little bit about the incident, but he knew more than enough to form his opinion.

"That's real weak," he said. "That's bad. I don't care where you're at, to hit a woman is not good."

jspchief
10-25-2005, 07:06 AM
The White Sox are a f*cking abomination to baseball and professional sports. Their fans are criminals and the organization is crooked. If ever there was a prime target for contraction...

Phobia
10-25-2005, 07:06 AM
Seems like the WhiteSox do a whole lot of apologizing for their fans these days.

bkkcoh
10-25-2005, 07:08 AM
What do you expect from White Sox fans........

They attack first base coaches there.

Eleazar
10-25-2005, 07:10 AM
Man. From the way it sounds going to Comiskey is like going to the black hole.

Swanman
10-25-2005, 07:18 AM
I work in downtown Chicago and am a Cubs fan, so needless to say I've become fairly tired of the Sox fans at this point. I don't so much mind the die-hard Sox fans (all 6 of them), but I want to slap these people that say they're a fan of both teams because they're a "Chicago" fan, so they've come out of the woodwork wearing Sox stuff around town. That's not the way it works. You don't see people that are Yankees and Mets fans or Giants and A's fans. You have to pick one.

bkkcoh
10-25-2005, 07:19 AM
'Bring him to me'
"I told the police, 'Don't put him in jail. Bring him to me in the dugout.' But hopefully, that won't happen again."

Shortstop Adam Everett heard a little bit about the incident, but he knew more than enough to form his opinion.

"That's real weak," he said. "That's bad. I don't care where you're at, to hit a woman is not good."

Bringing the people into the dugout will really decrease the issues if the series goes back to Chicago. :hmmm:

Amnorix
10-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Wow. Between this and the stupid attack on the first base coach, Chicago fans are making Philly fans look pretty good, and that's damn near unthinkable... :eek:

Seek
10-25-2005, 07:35 AM
Wow, Chicago White Sox are the creme of the crop. The last time they were in the series, the players threw it. Now they have men slapping women in the stands, and father and son duo's attacking coaches.

That franchise is disgrace.

siberian khatru
10-25-2005, 07:45 AM
They've got a shit stadium in a shit part of town full of shit fans with the shittiest broadcasters in baseball history.

Brock
10-25-2005, 07:49 AM
I truly don't understand why any sports fan would behave that way. Friggin' morons.

Swanman
10-25-2005, 07:54 AM
They've got a shit stadium in a shit part of town full of shit fans with the shittiest broadcasters in baseball history.

I was driving home on Saturday during the game so I tuned in the broadcast on XM with the Sox announcers. I could only handle them for about 2 minutes before I switched over to the Houston broadcast of the game. They were bitching and moaning about every single call, it was atrocious. If you think the TV guys are bad, the radio guys are 1,000 times worse. I know Sox fans that can't even stomach the radio guys.

MOhillbilly
10-25-2005, 07:56 AM
who wants to bet that 90% of the refuse picked up in the lot after a sox game isnt straws and tinfoil roofs?

Bowser
10-25-2005, 07:57 AM
I'm suprised those guys left the park still able to walk.

bkkcoh
10-25-2005, 08:37 AM
.. They were bitching and moaning about every single call, it was atrocious. If you think the TV guys are bad, the radio guys are 1,000 times worse. I know Sox fans that can't even stomach the radio guys.

That is one reason why is really dislike the White Sox is the announcers both radio and TV. It is also the reason why I dislike the Cleveland Indians....

Katipan
10-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Man, I don't know many husbands that wouldn't go ballistic psycho nuts over something like this.

The dude slapped her and ran.

ROFL

God Bless Jersey girls.

Alton deFlat
10-25-2005, 09:10 AM
That is one reason why is really dislike the White Sox is the announcers both radio and TV. It is also the reason why I dislike the Cleveland Indians....

Isn't the Indian's radio announcer Harry Doyle? He's pretty cool. He sounds a lot like Bob Uecker.

siberian khatru
10-25-2005, 09:16 AM
You can put it on the booooard! YES!

You're cruel. Next you'll be posting pictures of Brent Mayne.

Frazod
10-25-2005, 09:31 AM
I was driving home on Saturday during the game so I tuned in the broadcast on XM with the Sox announcers. I could only handle them for about 2 minutes before I switched over to the Houston broadcast of the game. They were bitching and moaning about every single call, it was atrocious. If you think the TV guys are bad, the radio guys are 1,000 times worse. I know Sox fans that can't even stomach the radio guys.

Two words: RON SANTO. Any Cub fan automatically forfeits his right to complain about any broadcaster. Seriously. That mushmouth whining moron makes me want to gouge out my eardrums with an icepick.

As for the Sox, yes, the ballpark is built in a demilitarized zone and their fans are knuckle-dragging imbeciles. But they're playing against Houston, and their very presence in the World Series is torturing Cubs fans, so GO WHITE SOX!

That said, the slapper guy should have been beaten within an inch of his life. And if he strayed too far from the ball park, he probably was! :D

HemiEd
10-25-2005, 09:39 AM

I get pretty upset with them since Ed Farmer is the worst of the two. He is the guy that broke Al Cowens jaw and Frank Whites in the same game IIRC. Al was never the same. :cuss:

Swanman
10-25-2005, 09:40 AM
And if he strayed too far from the ball park, he probably was! :D

Like across the Dan Ryan?

Demonpenz
10-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Wow when i saw the person who slapped her i was expecting some guy that looks like a thug or something. I didn't expect him to look like this

Frazod
10-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Like across the Dan Ryan?

Hell, anywhere. That whole neighborhood is psychotic.

the Talking Can
10-25-2005, 09:58 AM
why didn't somebody in the crowd beat his ass??

ChiTown
10-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Typical White Sux fans....

That said, you should have seen their fan base from the old Comiskey Park days....now THAT was a rough crowd

CoMoChief
10-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Well, just look where the damn ball park is located. Only a few miles away from Caprini Greens and the projects, which I might add has only the 2nd or 3rd worst crime rate in a given community in the entire country. I'm not trying to be racist here or anything, but you look at their fans and they all look like a bunch of coked up minorities that just got out of the big house.

Frazod
10-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Well, just look where the damn ball park is located. Only a few miles away from Caprini Greens and the projects, which I might add has only the 2nd or 3rd worst crime rate in a given community in the entire country. I'm not trying to be racist here or anything, but you look at their fans and they all look like a bunch of coked up minorities that just got out of the big house.

1. Cabrini Green is on the north side of Chicago. So it's actually closer to Wrigley.

2. The guys who attacked Gamboa were white, as are the vast majority of people who attend games at Sox Park, ESPECIALLY during the playoffs and World Series (tickets for playoff games tend to be out of the price range of the vast majority of people who live in the area around the ballpark). I was at Game 1 last week - the only minorities I saw were working the concession stands.

3. You're a moron.

I guess you have a mullet and drive a rusted out Camaro because you're a Chiefs fan, right? :shake:

Pitt Gorilla
10-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Well, just look where the damn ball park is located. Only a few miles away from Caprini Greens and the projects, which I might add has only the 2nd or 3rd worst crime rate in a given community in the entire country. I'm not trying to be racist here or anything, but you look at their fans and they all look like a bunch of coked up minorities that just got out of the big house.Whether or not you are "trying" is not relevant.

Eleazar
10-25-2005, 10:21 AM

Yeah, if only they could run all the damn minorities out, everything would be all better. :shake: :rolleyes:

Swanman
10-25-2005, 10:22 AM

Actually, most Sox fans are white blue-collar types. The stadium is just near an area with a high black population, although some of the neighborhoods around there are very white. Also, the projects you're referring to are the Robert Taylor Homes, not Cabrini Green. Wrigley is probably closer to Cabrini than Comiskey.

Katipan
10-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Poor people can't afford world series tickets.

Eleazar
10-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Whether or not you are "trying" is not relevant.

It's like the saying goes, every time someone says "I'm not a racist, but", that statement is going to be followed by a racist statement.

Or when you hear someone say "no disrespect"- that means that someone just got disrespected.

Phobia
10-25-2005, 10:23 AM
2. The guys who attacked Gamboa were white, as are the vast majority of people who attend games at Sox Park,

Really? I thought they even had hispanic names.

Swanman
10-25-2005, 10:24 AM
It's like the saying goes, every time someone says "I'm not a racist, but", that statement is going to be followed by a racist statement.

Or when you hear someone say "no disrespect"- that means that someone just got disrespected.

Or when someone says, "I don't mean that in a bad way" after they something horrific about someone.

Phobia
10-25-2005, 10:24 AM

George Bush is not a racist, but he damn sure can order up a mean hurricane.

Eleazar
10-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Really? I thought they even had hispanic names.

William Ligue Jr., and his 15-year-old son

Just white trash, not any particular minority.

Eleazar
10-25-2005, 10:27 AM
George Bush is not a racist, but he damn sure can order up a mean hurricane.

Hey, he missed some of the black people with his last one.

Phobia
10-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Hey, he missed some of the black people with his last one.

He was going for Cubans this time.

ChiTown
10-25-2005, 10:29 AM
1. Cabrini Green is on the north side of Chicago. So it's actually closer to Wrigley.

2. The guys who attacked Gamboa were white, as are the vast majority of people who attend games at Sox Park, ESPECIALLY during the playoffs and World Series (tickets for playoff games tend to be out of the price range of the vast majority of people who live in the area around the ballpark). I was at Game 1 last week - the only minorities I saw were working the concession stands.

3. You're a moron.

I guess you have a mullet and drive a rusted out Camaro because you're a Chiefs fan, right? :shake:

Yeah, I had to laugh at the Cabrini (or "Caprini") Green reference. My first apartment (on the North side) was about 2 shakes of a rats ass away from the 'jects. Good times........

ChiTown
10-25-2005, 10:31 AM
William Ligue Jr., and his 15-year-old son

Just white trash, not any particular minority.

Hey don't bash on something as nice as a Father/Son outing at the old ballpark. Is nothing sacred?

HolmeZz
10-25-2005, 10:40 AM
I like how they added Everett into the article at the end, as if what he said was important. ;)

Calcountry
10-25-2005, 11:03 AM
I work in downtown Chicago and am a Cubs fan, so needless to say I've become fairly tired of the Sox fans at this point. I don't so much mind the die-hard Sox fans (all 6 of them), but I want to slap these people that say they're a fan of both teams because they're a "Chicago" fan, so they've come out of the woodwork wearing Sox stuff around town. That's not the way it works. You don't see people that are Yankees and Mets fans or Giants and A's fans. You have to pick one.This is true. Just let the Cubs and Sox go to the Series, IN THE SAME YEAR, and you will find a whole new level of understanding of what your gut feels about the teams.

gblowfish
10-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Hey don't bash on something as nice as a Father/Son outing at the old ballpark. Is nothing sacred?William Ligue should have been allowed to throw out the first base coach. Fitting for this bunch of crack heads. The White Sox are the Oakland Raiders of MLB.

Ebolapox
10-25-2005, 12:37 PM
well...the south side of sh*tcago is the baddest part of town
and if you ever go down there, you better just beware
of a man named...whitesux fans
whitesux fans...only trouble
you see, they stand about 3'2 (mentally)

-EB-

siberian khatru
10-25-2005, 12:44 PM
I get pretty upset with them since Ed Farmer is the worst of the two. He is the guy that broke Al Cowens jaw and Frank Whites in the same game IIRC. Al was never the same. :cuss:

Farmer was on the Mike and Mike show on ESPN radio 2-3 weeks ago, and I literally tensed up while driving and started cussing the radio all because of that game in 1979. That may have cost us the division that year. Our pitching sucked ass, but we only finished 3 games back of the Angels and I wonder if having Al and Frank for a month would've made the difference. I wonder what KC's record was with them out.

Point is, I still hate Ed Farmer to this day.

Sure-Oz
10-25-2005, 01:25 PM
i really hope houston somehow pulls this series out of their ass, id love to see those sox fans cry, they might end up shooting someone though, remind me of raiders fans of MLB.

tk13
10-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Not real surprising, there's a reason I call them the RaiderSox. Bunch of idiots...

StcChief
10-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Sox fan in Houston get it tonite wait and see.

Then it will be on.

Boardin Bronco
10-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Biggio's wife. She definitely isn't one of the best players wives I've seen, Craig could have done a lot better. I'd still hit it. What about you guys?

http://www.houstongulflpa.org/images/Craig,%20Patty%20and%20Matthew.JPG <<<< LINK TO LARGER PHOTO

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/MILF.jpg

Bowser
10-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Biggio's wife. She definitely isn't one of the best players wives I've seen, Craig could have done a lot better. I'd still hit it. What about you guys?

http://www.houstongulflpa.org/images/Craig,%20Patty%20and%20Matthew.JPG <<<< LINK TO LARGER PHOTO

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/MILF.jpg

Hell, I've hit chicks ten times worse than that.

And Biggio looks like he stopped aging after 20.

Thig Lyfe
10-25-2005, 03:15 PM
What???? A White Sox fan doing something completely stupid???? Who ever heard of such a thing?

Sure-Oz
10-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Sox fan in Houston get it tonite wait and see.

Then it will be on.
sting will come from out of the rafters and give one of their female fans a beating WCW rubber bat style!!!

Hammock Parties
10-25-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm finding it hard to be critical of this.