PDA

View Full Version : Giants owner Mara dead at 89

Nzoner
10-25-2005, 10:52 AM
from the related story....

Mara became a Giants’ ballboy at age 9 on Oct. 18, 1925 after his father, Timothy J. Mara, bought the team. He stayed fully involved in its operation for almost 80 years, except for three years while in the Navy during World War II. Until he became ill last spring, he attended most practices and every game. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9775854/)

NEW YORK - Wellington Mara of the New York Giants, one of the NFL’s most influential owners for more than a half century and the last of the league’s founding generation, died Tuesday. He was 89.

Mara, who was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1997, died of cancer at his home in Rye, the team said.

Mara’s influence went far beyond the Giants. He clearly was one of the most important figures in NFL history

“Wellington Mara represented the heart and soul of the National Football League,” NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said. “He was a man of deep conviction who stood as a beacon of integrity.”

One of Mara’s greatest contributions came in the early 1960s. He and brother Jack, owners of the biggest team in the biggest market, agreed to share television revenue on a leaguewide basis, dividing the huge amounts of money available in cities like New York with smaller markets from Pittsburgh to Green Bay.

Part of that agreement meant that the Giants ceded the right to sell their own games to television for a leaguewide contract, in those days with CBS. That concept of revenue sharing allowed the NFL to thrive and remains in place today.

He also served during the 1970s as chairman of the NFL’s Management Council, which negotiated labor contracts, and as a member of the competition committee.

In 1989, he and group of older owners wanted Pete Rozelle’s successor to be Jim Finks, then the New Orleans general manager, rather than Tagliabue, then a league lawyer. Mara thought the league should be run by a football man.

Reaper16
10-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Nice that he got to see a great win by his team before he left.

Phobia
10-25-2005, 10:56 AM
RIP. The NFL likely would not be what it is without such a man. Too bad he didn't own the Yankees too.

Rain Man
10-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Is there anyone more senior than Lamar now?

We've still got Ralph Wilson in Buffalo, and is Bud Adams still around in Tennessee? Any old NFCers?

Nzoner
10-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Nice that he got to see a great win by his team before he left.

Yep,can't begin to imagine all he was able to see in the NFL through the years,he had to have some great stories.

Amnorix
10-25-2005, 11:43 AM
RIP Wellington Mara. One of the titans (no pun intended) of the NFL. EVERY story I have heard about him (and the Rooneys of Pittsburgh) put them at the center of power in the NFL, but always working as being conciliators and negotiators, willing to sacrifice their own interests in furtherance of the NFL as a whole.

Amnorix
10-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Is there anyone more senior than Lamar now?

We've still got Ralph Wilson in Buffalo, and is Bud Adams still around in Tennessee? Any old NFCers?

Not sure how old Dan Rooney is, but I doubt he has as many years as Lamar behind him.

Not sure who runs the show for the Ford family (Lions) or how old they are.

Al Davis, of course, has as much tenure as Lamar, although I'm not sure if he started out as owner or "just" the coach.

Nobody else comes to mind.

siberian khatru
10-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Guess with Rosa Parks checking out, God had to claim a rich, white guy to balance things.

Frankie
10-25-2005, 12:01 PM
What a way to go. I hope I could make it to 89 and the last game I watch is a Chiefs victory over the Donks. Cool. RIP WM.