PDA

View Full Version : The Doggity Report: Week 7 Chiefs at Fins

gblowfish
10-25-2005, 10:36 PM
The Doggity Chiefs Report
Week 7 - 2005

Chiefs vs Fish from the Fish Tank, Miami FL.

Kansas City – 30; Miami – 20

From a rare evening at home in front of the big TV downstairs. As always, you can find the Doggity Reports from this and previous years at www.georgeblowfish.com! And visit “Radio Blowfish”- The official voice of the “Jane You Ignorant Slut” political blog. If you know others who might want to get this report in the ‘junk’ folder of their e-mail inbox – send me their addresses so we can add them to the rapidly expanding number of people who have nothing better to do than read the Doggity Report each week. Remember our privacy policy - “We don’t sell email addresses anyone worried about your digestive health.”

Overview – WILMA!!!! I’M HOME!!!! Don’t you just love a Friday night fish fry? It’s so Louisiana! Except it was in Florida, oh well. You know what I liked best about this game? It wasn’t cute. I truly believe this coaching staff should just give everyone off until Thursday and then prepare. When they have too much time to think, Gun and Al both try too many cute things and they get bitten more often than not. This game, they just lined up and played mano-a-mano. Our best guys against your best guys. I read KC’s top sports columnist, Joe Posnanski on Sunday. He said it was like a high school game except the PTA moms weren’t selling Cokes for a fund-raiser in the concessions. I agree. A small crowd braved the hurricane threat. Mostly it was like a high school game because there was no outrageous formulaic game planning. It was raw. It was real. It was fun. And the team with the better players won. Big. The score was much closer than the actual game. If not for back up Sage Rosenfels’ TD toss in the final minutes, the score would have indicated the blow-out that it really was. If I were Sage, I would ride Friday’s stat to a new big-bucks contract. One play. One pass. One completion. One touchdown. 158.3 passer rating. Write the check. And I loved the way Vermeil handled the fact that this was the first time in the history of the NFL that a team was asked to travel and play on the same day. He said that the NFL picked the right team to do it. If anyone could, the Kansas City Chiefs could. I love that stuff.

Offense – The two-headed monster (Holmes/Johnson) combined for over 180 yards rushing and three touchdowns. NINE different guys caught passes, seven of them in double-digit yardage. That stuff makes fantasy football managers nuts, but it wins more often than not. Trent Green quietly put together a remarkable game. Take out some bad drops, and he was nearly as efficient as Sage Rosenfels. Trent finished 20/34 with 289 yards. He had no TDs, but more importantly, he had no picks. How important is having Willie Roaf back? Just look at the stats with and without him in the lineup. Also, Will Shields is feeling better and John Welbourne is back. Everything starts there. Even Gonzo got a nice game because he didn’t have to babysit Black. This was solid, old fashioned, run-to-set-up-the-pass football. And it worked to near perfection.

Defense – I am not about whizzing in the Wheaties. This was a good performance out of a maligned unit. But in perspective, it was against maybe the worst offense they will face this year. (OK, they do play the Texans – and I fully expect Jared Allen to get 62 sacks that game.) Still, as bad as Gus FreeRot is, they do have a couple of decent running backs in Brown and the guy who kept Priest Holmes from starting at Texas, Ricky Williams. Brown managed a respectable 95 yards on only 8 touches. Granted, 65 yards of it was on one run when Greg Wesley decided to try and frighten him rather than tackle him. Ricky, on the other hand, managed 6 touches for a whopping -1 yards. Yes, NEGATIVE ONE. This team is much better against the run this year. They have been awful against the pass, but Gus will make your pass defense feel much better about itself. He managed only a 37.3 passer rating. Yikes. Jared had another nice game, but Eric Hicks and Kawika Mitchell were animals this week. Nobody calls Mitchell’s number. He won’t make the Pro Bowl. No one even knows his name outside KC, yet he is quietly becoming one of the best inside linebackers in the league. Every week this season he has been impressive. It was good to see Warfield back. But Wesley had his second consecutive dreadful game. I know he had a pick, but Mitchell tipped it right to him. I could have made that interception. Then he ends it by getting a 15 yard penalty for taunting. Idiot. I think they should consider Bartee as a replacement. (Kudos to Warfield and Bartee??? Yes, I feel fine. Thanks for asking).

Special Teams – Colquitt and Tynes had great days. Colquitt had three inside the 20. One that Bartee downed on the ONE. Nice. Coverage was better, but not great and there were WAY too many penalties. Dante had a couple of big runs called back because some blocker had a hard time telling dorsal from ventral.

The AFC West –

KC Chiefs – Nice conference road win under tough circumstances.

Denver Donkeys – Remember when last week I said it is better to be lucky than good? Well, the opposite applies too.

East Bay Convicts – HEY!! They actually WON one. Granted it was at home against a bad team, but at least it delayed Norv’s car dealership grand opening another week.

San Diego Bolts – Give me a break! As a Chiefs fan, I love it! As a football fan, what a great thing to watch! But if you are a Bolts fan, I feel your pain. I must be something like that 8-degree playoff game we had against Indy in January of 1996. No. Sorry, nothing’s that bad.

Throw Him A Bone Award –

How can you NOT give it to biggie Willie? Just look at the stats with and without this guy. You can talk all you want about your Priests, and Larrys and Gonzos and Trents. But without this guy holding down Trent’s blindside and blowing up the left sweep, this offense is only a little better than Baltimore. Welcome back big guy. Stay healthy. A well deserved bone for Willie Roaf.

The Doggity Dog –

This may be the first time in Doggity history that the Dog has gone to a guy who had an interception. Greg Wesley is a guy we have always liked here. But the last two games he has stunk out loud. A blown coverage over the middle let the dreadful Gus FreeRot tag one on him. A whiff attempted tackle led to a 65 yard run for a score. Even when he made the pick, he ended the play with a personal foul for throwing the ball at the guy who tackled him. Go sit in the dog house and think about it young man.

Ms. Priscilla’s Recipe Box’s “Tailgate Recipe of the Week” -

A fan-favorite segment from the past two years is the tailgate recipe of the week – a feature suggested by Dr. Bob’s better half before the start of the 2003 season. In her honor, it will bear her name this season.

How do you get more California than Avocado Chicken Salad on Sourdough?

Perfect San Diego treat…

1 c. chicken breast, cooked & diced

1/2 c. celery

1/2 c. mayonnaise

2 Tbsp. avocado, diced

2 tsp. lemon juice

1/4 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

8 slices sourdough bread

In a mixing bowl, add the chicken, celery, mayonnaise, avocado, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Toast gently until thoroughly mixed. Using a spoon or scoop, spread the chicken salad on the bread. Place the other slice of sourdough bread on top. Using a sharp knife cut the bread in half and place on plate and serve.

Send your recipes to the Dog, by e-mail or fax them to 913-831-1307.

Special Note:

This season, the Doggity Report would like to focus on the good work done by our friend Phil Kloster and all the folks at the “37 Forever” Foundation. 37 Forever was founded in 1999 to honor the memory of Joe Delaney, a former Chiefs RB who perished in a drowning accident after entering the water in an effort to save three children. Only one child survived; Joe Delaney could not swim. Joe Delaney was inducted into the Chiefs Ring of Fame in 2004, perhaps in part due to the exposure brought about by the efforts of 37 Forever.

37 Forever is currently seeking local leadership to assist in growing the organization. For more information about 37 Forever, please contact Phil Kloster at (816)665-1208 or pkloster@37forever.org

Next week –

To Sunny San Diego to take on the desperate Marty and the Bolts

Your faithful scribe,

Mr. Doggity

Hammock Parties
10-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Excellent stuff.

Does anyone else realize we are UNDEFEATED with Willie Roaf in the lineup this year?