PDA

View Full Version : Satellite TV / high speed internet question

Big Slick
10-26-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm in the Wichita area, and have Cox cable and high speed internet. I get pretty much their entire lineup plus internet for about $135/mo. I've thought about getting DirrectTv before for the Sunday Ticket, but I've got season tix to Chiefs, so I'm gone half the Sundays so I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

But now Cox is doing their best to push me to satellite. I've been getting too many temporary internet outages lately for my tastes. I got one last night about midnight, which knocked me out of an internet poker tourney, so I was pretty hot. I called them up, they were doing scheduled maintainence! I told them I though midnight was way too earlier to be doing that kind of stuff, they pretty much said oh well, gave me a 1 day internet credit. Whoopee.

Sorry for the long story, but what I'm curious about is what are my options for internet access if I go DirrectTv? Is DSL it, is it reliable (particularly in this area)? I've heard something about satellite internet access, is it any good? Any help would be greatly apprecitated, thanks!

GoTrav
10-26-2005, 09:50 AM
I'm in the Wichita area, and have Cox cable and high speed internet. I get pretty much their entire lineup plus internet for about $135/mo. I've thought about getting DirrectTv before for the Sunday Ticket, but I've got season tix to Chiefs, so I'm gone half the Sundays so I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

But now Cox is doing their best to push me to satellite. I've been getting too many temporary internet outages lately for my tastes. I got one last night about midnight, which knocked me out of an internet poker tourney, so I was pretty hot. I called them up, they were doing scheduled maintainence! I told them I though midnight was way too earlier to be doing that kind of stuff, they pretty much said oh well, gave me a 1 day internet credit. Whoopee.

Sorry for the long story, but what I'm curious about is what are my options if I go DirrectTv for internet access? Is DSL it, is it reliable (particularly in this area)? I've heard something about satellite internet access, is it any good? Any help would be greatly apprecitated, thanks!

I have SBC Dish/DSL. Never had a problem. Check them out. Depending on what channel packages you want the Dish service can run from anywhere from 26 bucks to 70ish being their best package which includes NFL Network, all your move channels. IIRC, the first box was free so you're not charge 5 bucks a month to have it. Also, the DSL service is great, and they were running packages selling it for around 14.95 a month for the standard speed tier. You save also if you bundle your services, so if you have their phone service and add Dish/DSL you should see a discount.

SquirrellyBastard
10-26-2005, 09:54 AM
DSL is very comparable to cable. The farther away you are from a hub, they slower your connection will be. But not much...

I've never had DirecTV, but I did have Dish Network and it sucked. I've heard good things about DirecTV.

Satellite internet is still pretty unreliable and readily available.
Stick with cable or dsl for internet needs.

Swanman
10-26-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm not in your area, but I would recommend Directv with SBC DSL. My Directv bill with the HD package and HBO is somewhere around $60, pretty reasonable. SBC has great prices right now on DSL, $14.95 for the standard and $24.95 for the "Pro" package, which basically has download speeds comparable to cable and better upload speeds than cable. I have the Pro package and it's been fairly reliable. Every once in a while my download speed will slow down considerably but never for more than a few hours.

patteeu
10-26-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that satellite-based high speed internet is:

1) Slower than typical DSL or Cable by a significant amount,

2) More costly, both in terms of up front costs for equipment/installation and in terms of month-to-month recurring costs,

3) Subject to weather induced service interruptions, and

4) Subject to a latency effect as a result of the distances that the signal must travel that makes it more difficult (if not impossible) to use interactive applications like Voice over IP and online games.

If I were you, I'd stick with cable or DSL. Satellite access is for people who can't get cable or DSL.

StcChief
10-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Don't do Sattelite internet. Buddy did it hated it.
Oval dish has to installed by pro, very sensative.
Slower, more expensive.
Storms knock it out like TV signal.

DSL (not sure of service provider in Wichita area)
if the got it is very reliable for me.

Cable modem seem to have issue based on # people in your area using them.. That may have changed not sure.

Actually the Broadband reports may help in your decision.
http://www.broadbandreports.com

My DSL up all the time.

Bob Dole
10-26-2005, 11:03 AM
"Wichita-area companies moving into wireless include Hubris Communications, Gateway Wireless, I-Kansas, CorpraNet, Connectivity Services and Omega Data Systems."

Source (http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/stories/2002/07/29/story3.html)

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 11:06 AM
1) Satellite Internet sucks. Period. Due to the laws of physics, minimum latency is around 1 SECOND. That's not a big deal for file downloads or web browsing, but it REALLY sucks for games or video.

2) Residential broadband is residential broadband. You're going to get similar service no matter whether you choose cable or DSL. They all have problems.

Dartgod
10-26-2005, 11:16 AM
My dad has satellite internet and upload speeds are sloooooooooooooow.

Big Slick
10-26-2005, 11:42 AM
thanks for the info all