PDA

View Full Version : A question about the Chiefs Offense to this point.

Area 51
10-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Is it possible that the Chiefs are restricting the offense to keep everyone offguard? We all know that they have shown the ability to score past seasons and some of the games this year they seem to be touching on that same ability.

Would they intentionally not pull out all of the stops purposely?

Rain Man
10-26-2005, 02:31 PM
So those two losses are part of our grand plan, eh? I don't like that part of the strategy.

the Talking Can
10-26-2005, 02:33 PM
I too have the ability to score...but I don't because it keeps the ladies off guard, yeah, that's the ticket!

htismaqe
10-26-2005, 02:33 PM
they always start slow

Hoover
10-26-2005, 02:35 PM
I think the offense has beenbanged up (Green, Roaf, Welbourn, Sampson) I think we will start clicking soon.

I think the Defense is what has been restricted due to the Warfield suspension. I really think we will be playing more and more 3-4, and and start blitzing our LB's more often.

Anyong Bluth
10-26-2005, 02:36 PM
don't rep your guys in training camp and you'll start slow... no different than Bell playing better as of late... reps, and actually hitting some one sure makes a big difference - football's crazy like that

patteeu
10-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Yes, and I think they were saving Warfield and Welbourn for the stretch run too.

HemiEd
10-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Yes, and I think they were saving Warfield and Welbourn for the stretch run too.

ROFL and Ryan Sims for the finish.

Sully
10-26-2005, 03:03 PM
They have only run the TE screen a few times this year. I think it's obvious to anyone who is paying attention that they have gone away from their bread and butter. AS will figure it out.

Calcountry
10-26-2005, 03:11 PM
They have only run the TE screen a few times this year. I think it's obvious to anyone who is paying attention that they have gone away from their bread and butter. AS will figure it out.I don't know about that. I have seen a lot of play action and toss sweeps to Holmes left side.

Chromatic
10-26-2005, 03:11 PM
We have no good threatening recievers outside of Kennison and TG. That is what's hurting our offense the most. Sammy Parker is alright but a halfway decent backfield can handle him pretty easily.

Frankie
10-26-2005, 03:12 PM
I too have the ability to score...but I don't because it keeps the ladies off guard, yeah, that's the ticket!
ROFL ROFL

Frankie
10-26-2005, 03:13 PM
don't rep your guys in training camp and you'll start slow... no different than Bell playing better as of late... reps, and actually hitting some one sure makes a big difference - football's crazy like that
Yep.

CoMoChief
10-26-2005, 03:14 PM
We have no good threatening recievers outside of Kennison and TG. That is what's hurting our offense the most. Sammy Parker is alright but a halfway decent backfield can handle him pretty easily.

And then all we have to do is run the ball with the best duo in the NFL.

Chromatic
10-26-2005, 03:18 PM

I know. But if they have bad games or their defense finds a way to contain them, we're in trouble.

This is all just my opinion, though. :)

sedated
10-26-2005, 03:19 PM
I hope they are guarding the "secret weapon" kris wilson, or he just sucks.

sedated
10-26-2005, 03:20 PM
:clap:

milkman
10-26-2005, 03:23 PM

This and the fact that Roaf has been out, and Will Shields hasn't played like Will Shields (probably the result of not getting reps in TC), are the reasons that this offense isn't playing at the level you've come to expect.

Area 51
10-26-2005, 03:32 PM
So those two losses are part of our grand plan, eh? I don't like that part of the strategy.

I think the two loses were failures on the coaching staffs part. Either they had no clue or they were assuming that the hype was all true, that the Chiefs had "come of age" with their new defense.

I think the players too might have believed they were more than they actually were. Those two games might have brought them back down to earth, at least I'd hope so.

I still don't know if the offense is just out of sync or if they are holding back for more important games.

Are there any plays that you saw in the past two years that worked well that haven't been pulled out of the play book?

To be honest, I can't remember what plays were big in the last game let alone last year or further back.

I actually hope that they are holding back, the offense over the past two years has been exciting to watch, so far this year - so-so.

Sportswax
10-26-2005, 03:41 PM
I think our run defense will be the most important aspect of this week's game. If we do to LT2 what we did to Ricky W. last week... then I'll be a happy man. I don't see that happening though, so I hope we go open up the offense a bit more... especially where Gonzo is concerned. Are you saying that Boerigter, Kennison, Chris Horn and Dante Hall are slouches? I know Samie Parker is out, but I think it's more a question of gun-shy playcalling. Why risk interceptions with a high-percentage long passing game? If we can keep running it up their noses, I say keep the long balls to a minimum. The Chargers do have two cornerbacks (Davis & Florence) that are questionable this week, which might make passing more desirable. They also have three LB's (including Donnie Edwards), their center, and a tight-end injured this week... so by the time the Chiefs are done with 'em they'll probably be working from their practice squad. Keep Thomlinson to a minumum and we'll win... let him loose in the secondary and it will be a long day.

Sportswax
10-26-2005, 03:45 PM
It's exactly as the post-game commentators said on the NFL Channel.... the Chiefs kept the game plan simple out of necessity. No time to mess around with a difficult one due to travel restrictions and playing ahead of schedule. I hope they stick to brass-tacks as much as possible, but integrate more Gonzales and Dante Hall into it. Also, I am really impressed with Chris Horn lately. Can't help pining over another guy named Horn we screwed around and lost not that long ago.

SLAG
10-26-2005, 04:22 PM
The offence is just now gellin Everything is falling into place. I think we are going to witness a very different chiefs team come on the field on sunday on offence and defence. As long as we dont let them bolts move the chains on third down you know marty wont go for it on 4th and inches even with LT2

I saw plenty of open spaces vs the Eagles on sunday that makes me suspect of the SD secondary

Calcountry
10-26-2005, 04:31 PM
One play that they should get rid of, it has never worked for anything, is the fake hand offWOOP, fake reverseWOOP, then Green NOW a hundred years later still has the ball and is going to pass.

Hammock Parties
10-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Chiefs scoring to date: 24.8 points per game.

Chiefs scoring to date at this time last year: 26.8 points per game

That number is slightly skewed by the 56 point explosion against Atlanta, which was the 6th game last season.

Area 51
10-27-2005, 07:57 AM
One play that they should get rid of, it has never worked for anything, is the fake hand offWOOP, fake reverseWOOP, then Green NOW a hundred years later still has the ball and is going to pass.

Your stop watch is broken!

King_Chief_Fan
10-27-2005, 08:03 AM
Is it possible that the Chiefs are restricting the offense to keep everyone offguard? We all know that they have shown the ability to score past seasons and some of the games this year they seem to be touching on that same ability.

Would they intentionally not pull out all of the stops purposely?

I would be o.k to stick with the game plan at Miami. Run, run, run and more run.....

StcChief
10-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Being banged up on Oline hurt early game losses. Out of our game plan.... With Roaf Welbourne back things should start gelling. This game is a big test.

Stopping LT2 will be harder than (Ricky 'smoke-em' Williams) they have a better Oline than Miami.

Area 51
10-27-2005, 08:46 AM
Being banged up on Oline hurt early game losses. Out of our game plan.... With Roaf Welbourne back things should start gelling. This game is a big test.

Stopping LT2 will be harder than (Ricky 'smoke-em' Williams) they have a better Oline than Miami.

I agree, but with a few exceptions the defense has been tougher against the run. We can do it in SD.

jynni
10-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Wasn't it that play (or at least a similar one) where Priest broke the long TD run against Washington?

Area 51
10-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Wasn't it that play (or at least a similar one) where Priest broke the long TD run against Washington?

No, it was the other one, you know, the one without the WOOPS.

Anyong Bluth
10-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Can't help pining over another guy named Horn we screwed around and lost not that long ago.

Which would mean we would never have gotten Willie Roaf at rock bottom prices. I'll take that switch any day of the week.

RINGLEADER
10-27-2005, 10:19 AM
they always start slow

True. Especially Trent Green who always seems to take 4-5 games before he "breaks out". Look, the Chiefs are scoring over 27 points two-thirds of the time so far this season which isn't bad, but rather than looking at what the Chiefs might be holding back I think Al Saunders and Dick Vermeil might want to consider - especially after the Miami game - that scaling back their game plans could be more effective.

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 10:39 AM
True. Especially Trent Green who always seems to take 4-5 games before he "breaks out". Look, the Chiefs are scoring over 27 points two-thirds of the time so far this season which isn't bad, but rather than looking at what the Chiefs might be holding back I think Al Saunders and Dick Vermeil might want to consider - especially after the Miami game - that scaling back their game plans could be more effective.

2004:

2005:

We're in much better shape than last year at this time...

Area 51
10-27-2005, 10:44 AM
2004:

2005:

We're in much better shape than last year at this time...

Are you predicting a 45-56 point output?

htismaqe
10-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Are you predicting a 45-56 point output?

Sure. :D

Mr. Laz
10-27-2005, 10:54 AM
i think they should drop that dang pass play they throw to tony richardson in the flat.

i also think we need to start using the bootleg ... with the way we run the stretch sweep play all the time, the bootleg should be deadly.

Green is mobile enough to do it

AirForceChief
10-27-2005, 10:54 AM

That play and the actual crappy double reverse to either Kennison or Hall who have to gain 12 yards to get back to the line of scrimmage. I hate both those plays as they'd only be effective against 1) an undisciplined/over pursuing defense; or 2) a slow defense. Niether of which seem to be on the field when AS tries it... :banghead:

patteeu
10-27-2005, 10:57 AM
i think they should drop that dang pass play they throw to tony richardson.

i also think we need to start using the bootleg ... with the way we run the stretch sweep play all the time, the bootleg should be deadly.

Green is mobile enough to do it

They've done that with TonyG to great effect in the past IIRC.

jspchief
10-27-2005, 11:03 AM
i think they should drop that dang pass play they throw to tony richardson.

Green is mobile enough to do itThe boot? No thank you.

For the boot to be effective, the opponent has to respect the threat of the QB running the ball. For Green to earn that respect, he actually has to start running. Which in turn means he has to start getting clobbered by LBs.

The idea of converting our 34 year old Green into that type of QB does not appeal to me at all.