PDA

View Full Version : NFL May Move Saints to Los Angeles

Donger
10-27-2005, 10:43 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051027/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/saints_los_angeles;_ylt=AkrnSZ3vyYasubBKQb152iOs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3b2NibDltBHNlYwM3MTY-

WASHINGTON - The Washington Post reports the NFL will consider relocating the Saints to Los Angeles if New Orleans is unable to recover from Hurricane Katrina.

The newspaper cites three sources familiar with the league's deliberation on the matter.

The Saints have been based in San Antonio since they were forced out of the Crescent City by the damaging August hurricane.

But the sources say the league has no interest in the Texas city as a permanent home for the club.

Los Angeles is the second-largest television market in the country and has been without an NFL team since the Raiders moved back to Oakland after the 1994 season.

HolmeZz
10-27-2005, 10:44 AM
Los Angeles Saints = Oxymoron

jspchief
10-27-2005, 10:45 AM
No stadium. Who's going to pay for that? The league?

Katipan
10-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Los Angeles Saints = Oxymoron

because angels can't be saints?

Bowser
10-27-2005, 10:48 AM

Exactly.

I don't understand the hardon the NFL has in getting a team back to L.A. There is no NFL fanbase there, obviously, or they would not have let TWO teams escape the same year.

And hasn't the Saints owner said publically that he would just as soon be in San Antonio? You'd think he might have a say in the matter.....

Katipan
10-27-2005, 10:49 AM

the 18th street gang

BigRedChief
10-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Ellison, the Oracle founder and worth about $187 Billion.

In 2004 this was hot news. Google search brings this stuff back

the flamboyant billionaire is eyeing the Los Angeles area. The NFL is interested in getting a team in Los Angeles by 2008, the organization has said. The Southern California city once had two NFL teams, but it has none today since the Raiders moved upstate to Oakland and the Rams to St. Louis about a decade ago. "Right now I think the biggest opportunity in sports, in new sports franchises, is in Los Angeles," Ellison said. The Oracle chief did not provide any further details about his team ownership ambitions during the shareholder meeting.

The San Francisco Chronicle earlier this month reported that Ellison met with NFL officials to discuss plans for Los Angeles. The newspaper also said that some NFL owners are concerned about the decline of the 49ers -- on the field and in fan interest -- under the Yorks.
Ellison is the world's 12th-richest man, with a net worth of $18.7 billion, according to Forbes magazine. Ellison is known for his passion for sailing, fast cars and airplanes, as well as his constant readiness to bad-mouth Oracle's competition.

Another one:
http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=50500136

Apparently, Larry Ellison--who may be looking for new competitive outlets as his battle with PeopleSoft Inc. winds down--has a different definition of fantasy football than the rest of us. Quoting unnamed sources, the Los Angeles Times has reported that the Oracle CEO has had preliminary talks with the National Football League about using his riches to bring football back to Los Angeles by purchasing an existing team and moving it to Southern California, which has been without a team since 1995.

HolmeZz
10-27-2005, 10:51 AM
because angels can't be saints?

No, because there isn't a Saint in Los Angeles. ;)

Angels would be an oxymoron too. It was ok when they were in Anaheim though.

Bowser
10-27-2005, 10:51 AM
the 18th street gang

They wouldn't give up a week's worth of sales of coke, meth, and ho's.

Bob Dole
10-27-2005, 11:03 AM
You know, maybe there's a good reason LA can't keep a team.

Bob Dole would support moving the team and letting N.O. retain the name and rights to re-establish the franchise when the city is rebuilt. With all that needs to be done down there, it seems wrong (and political suicide) to direct any sort of public funding toward construction of a new NFL stadium or repair of the Superdome.

However, after the community's needs are addressed, they ought to be able to keep their team.

Hoover
10-27-2005, 11:13 AM
I think they should just say **** it and move them to LA next season. Its going to happen.

dirk digler
10-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Exactly.

I don't understand the hardon the NFL has in getting a team back to L.A. There is no NFL fanbase there, obviously, or they would not have let TWO teams escape the same year.

And hasn't the Saints owner said publically that he would just as soon be in San Antonio? You'd think he might have a say in the matter.....

TV... They are either the #1 or #2 market.

sedated
10-27-2005, 11:30 AM
It IS the second largest market in the US, and those border jumpers are making it shoot toward number 1.

We all know how much they like to steal some NFL gear. (oops, I mean buy)

BigRedChief
10-27-2005, 12:02 PM
We all know how much they like to steal some NFL gear. (oops, I mean buy)

You are lucky you don't coach football

DaneMcCloud
10-27-2005, 12:29 PM
I've lived in Los Angeles for almost 13 years now, and I NEVER hear anyone complain that there's no NFL in town. When the Rams and Raiders were here, nobody went to the games. The NFL had to reduce the the number of "seats" so that the Raiders could possibly sell out (which they rarely ever did).

Personally, I could care less. If a team were to move here, it would be wise if they just started over from scratch, renamed the team, it's colors and so on, so that the people in the city could at least feel like they're part of something new and fresh. I can pretty much guarantee that no one will go see the Saints. When you've got the #1 and #8 team in college football, the L.A. Kings, Ducks and Lakers, who's gonna take time out to watch the lowly Saints?

If the NFL just has to move a team here, I hope it's an AFC team. That way, I could see the Chiefs twice a year (I usually make it to the SD game, though not this year) every few years.

Dane
~just my .02 cents

StcChief
10-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Said that before Angels / Saints in L.A.
#2 Market without a NFL team. for how long now....

Ellison / Oracle is in SF Bay area. but wouldn't stop Larry Ellison sponsering a stadium with 'ORACLE' plastered on the side.

Which then prompt Gates for a 'Micro$oft' stadium name.....

That should crush the rumor of Chargers move up to L.A.