PDA

View Full Version : At this point in time Gates is better than Tony G!

Logical
10-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Been quite an exhibit put on by the young man. Tony is still better career wise but for now Gates is more valuable.

Pitt Gorilla
10-30-2005, 06:09 PM
It really does look that way. Of course, Kennison looks incredible as well. WTF?

Deberg_1990
10-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Agreed, Hell of a performance by the young man...Hes the best.

milkman
10-30-2005, 06:11 PM
I think Gates does look better right now also.

Tony seems slower than ever, and he hasn't been sure handed all season.

I wonder if his foot is bothering him?

htismaqe
10-30-2005, 06:12 PM
The difference today is that Cam Cameron is a better OC than Al Saunders...

Logical
10-30-2005, 06:14 PM
The difference today is that Cam Cameron is a better OC than Al Saunders...I don't think Cam is giving Gates those great hands.

htismaqe
10-30-2005, 06:20 PM
I don't think Cam is giving Gates those great hands.

Anybody has great hands when they're wide open.

Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from Gates, but the big difference in their production is coaching. Our offensive coordinator doesn't know how to use a TE.

chief99
10-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Anybody has great hands when they're wide open.

Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from Gates, but the big difference in their production is coaching. Our offensive coordinator doesn't know how to use a TE.

What ?

The guy is faster , more youthful , quicker , taller and more athletic.

Anything else ?

Lzen
10-30-2005, 06:25 PM
The difference today is that Cam Cameron is a better OC than Al Saunders...

Yep.

Lzen
10-30-2005, 06:30 PM
What ?

Anything else ?

Is there any proof of this? No. Tell me how a player goes from leading the league in receptions one year and is not the best the next year? Not to mention that he set an NFL record for recptions for a TE. If Gates had to stay in and block for a portion of the season like Tony had to, he would not be considered as good as he is. Frankly, I think they are about even right now. In this game, Brees had more time to throw than Green (due to better blocking and better play-calling) and he put the ball on the money when necessary. Also, the Chiefs should've done more doubling on Gates than they did. Tony has been getting doubled and tripled for years yet still has the production. This year is an abberation, IMO. BTW, I think Tony ended up with a 100 yard game today. Or pretty close to it.

htismaqe
10-30-2005, 06:32 PM
What ?

Anything else ?

Yeah, why don't you let everyone know why you REALLY don't like Tony Gonzales.

Of course Gates has all those advantages. He also plays in an offense that uses the TE and throws him the ball...

tk13
10-30-2005, 06:34 PM
Plus, never in a million years would our defense bump and check and cover/double team a TE like most defenses do to Tony...

Tough to make that comparison, because our defense is usually our defense as is, we don't switch sides very often, don't double team, let premier players like Moss and Owens run free through the secondary way too often, etc, etc... if Tony played against our D he'd probably catch 20 balls just running downfield a ways and sitting down against single coverage/zone.

Nelson Muntz
10-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Let Gates continue playing like this for several years before saying he is better than Gonzalez. Yeah he had a better game, but think of how many times Gonzalez had the ball thrown to him. In the first or second drive he dropped one and I don't think he had another one thrown his way until the end of the 3rd or in the 4th quarter. Its hard to do anything positive in a game when you don't get the ball.

PunkinDrublic
10-30-2005, 07:07 PM
That much is obvious. Gates is an awesome player.

Pants
10-30-2005, 07:10 PM
I guess no one saw that incredibly high pass TG caught in double coverage, broke two tackles and ran for like 7 yards after. Right now, if I have a choice between two TE's on my team, I'm taking Gonzo.

Nelson Muntz
10-30-2005, 07:20 PM
I guess no one saw that incredibly high pass TG caught in double coverage, broke two tackles and ran for like 7 yards after. Right now, if I have a choice between two TE's on my team, I'm taking Gonzo.

That and the fact that Gates played against our defense. God only knows what Tony's stats would be against a defense like ours.

Rausch
10-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Been quite an exhibit put on by the young man. Tony is still better career wise but for now Gates is more valuable.

Gates doesn't drop passes...

cdcox
10-30-2005, 07:33 PM
Gates >> Gonzo

RedandGold
10-30-2005, 07:34 PM

...and he actually has a little bit of speed.

Psyko Tek
10-30-2005, 07:43 PM
put gates on our offense,...
we can make anybody look like shit

morphius
10-30-2005, 07:55 PM
I saw them being pretty equal. I mean you look at other games and when we try to go to Tony deep they have to call holding on the D. Both are making it tough for one guy to tackle them. Its funny to me that every time Green goes into the hurry up and start making the calls, all of a sudden Gonzo is open and gets hit with the ball, but when it Squanders nothing but short screens meant to give him a token catch. Its pathetic.

I think Gonzo may have dropped two today, one was better off dropped, and Gates dropped an easy one as well.

Deberg_1990
10-30-2005, 07:57 PM

He dropped a fairly easy one today.

Consistent1
10-30-2005, 09:23 PM
I like Tony, but Gates is the man for TE's right now. You guys say what you want but you would love to have him. Play calling, wrong defensive strategy..yada, yada...It's not like SD doesn't run the ball. LT only had 70 yds or so, but averaged over 4 a carry. Gates is pimp, and being a homer ain't gonna change that. Hell, the guy even got screwed by getting suspended for a game, didn't practice, etc. Still, he came into the game today with 430 yards and 3 TD's. He is just getting started for this year. Sorry for the facts. The Chiefs are still gonna be alright though, still a lotta hope.

Consistent1
10-30-2005, 09:30 PM
This is also what Gates had to say after the game regarding Tony...

Asked if he's the NFL's best tight end, Gates deferred to Gonzalez.

``Tony has definitely set a high standard at tight end,'' Gates said. ``He's done it year in and year out. This is just my third year and I'm upcoming. He's been to six Pro Bowls. I have to get to six Pro Bowls to say that.''

Seems like a class act to me, to go with the talent..

Demonpenz
10-30-2005, 09:37 PM
gates is a better athlete right now, but tony is on his way to canton.

Nelson Muntz
10-30-2005, 09:38 PM
gates is a better athlete right now, but tony is on his way to canton.

and Gates is on his way to a 1 and out in the playoffs. Just like us unless we turn it around major league.

Freekofnature
10-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Just remember.

Gates played the Chiefs defense today.

ChiefFripp
10-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Gates is the best right now. Gonzalez is like Sweeney is for The Roylas, alot of talent wasted because he stuck with a mediocre team. There is honor in going down with the ship.

KC Dan
10-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Gates is the best right now. Gonzalez is like Sweeney is for The Roylas, alot of talent wasted because he stuck with a mediocre team. There is honor in going down with the ship.
The only thing that you should compare the Royals to are the Arizona Cardinals

Demonpenz
10-30-2005, 09:50 PM

don't put sweeney with gonzo please. The only reason sweeney goes to the all star game is because they have to send a person from the royals there.

jspchief
10-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Just remember.

Gates played the Chiefs defense today.Ugh. I wish that was a legit excuse.

SD is one spot above KC in pass defense, and they didn't give up 3 easy TDs to Gonzo.

Gates is the better TE right now. He may or may not have a career that measures up to Gonzo, but right at this moment, he is better.

OldTownChief
10-30-2005, 09:55 PM
SD is one spot above KC in pass defense, and they didn't give up 3 easy TDs to Gonzo.

Without 2 starting corners ta boot.

ChiefFripp
10-30-2005, 10:00 PM
I wish Tony could go somewhere that had a shot at the SB in his last few years as a player but didn't he just rework his contract?

Tribal Warfare
10-30-2005, 10:01 PM

I disagree, because the Chargers have deep threats at the WR position, which KC doesn't have any on their roster right now. When KC has a true deep threat WR you'll see more 8 men in the box sets and triple coverage on Gonzo.

milkman
10-30-2005, 10:03 PM
I disagree, because the Chargers have deep threats at the WR position, which KC doesn't have any on their roster right now. When KC has a true deep threat WR you'll see more 8 men in the box sets and triple coverage on Gonzo.

Huh?????

Hammock Parties
10-30-2005, 10:04 PM

SD doesn't have any deep threats. Certainly not compared to KC. Between McCardell, Parker and Kennison, Kennison is the most "legit" as a deep threat.

tommykat
10-30-2005, 10:07 PM

Yes, unless the FAULKING coaches use Gonzo more!!

Tribal Warfare
10-30-2005, 11:02 PM
SD doesn't have any deep threats. Certainly not compared to KC. Between McCardell, Parker and Kennison, Kennison is the most "legit" as a deep threat.

McCardell is more of a threat down field than any of our front line starters

Hammock Parties
10-30-2005, 11:04 PM
McCardell is more of a threat down field than any of our front line starters

No way. Dude is old. Longest play last year was 31 yards.

Tribal Warfare
10-30-2005, 11:07 PM
No way. Dude is old. Longest play last year was 31 yards.

the guy consistently runs good routes and gets open, and all of the Chiefs WRs are very average at that aspect.

Hammock Parties
10-30-2005, 11:08 PM
the guy consistently runs good routes and gets open, and all of the Chiefs WRs are very average at that aspect.

Yes, but he is not a deep threat.

We could DEFINITELY use him, though. We lack a true possession receiver.

DaWolf
10-31-2005, 02:01 AM
Here is the difference, and it has probably already been mentioned. San Diego has their weapons (Tomlinson and Gates) and they use them by repeatedly going to them.

We meanwhile have our weapons (Holmes and Gonzo) yet insist on "spreading the ball around" and "not focusing in on any one individual going into a game" when we SHOULD be thinking about how to best utilize Gonzo in the game plan EVERY game. Instead we hope that Gonzo fits into the scheme of our offense. Which is BS. As you saw today, we started moving the ball when? When we went to Gonzo. Some passes were thrown into tight coverage, but dude makes the catches. USE HIM. We get down inside the 10, USE HIM. I mean how hard is it to drop back and throw a fade in the end zone where he can go jump up an get it against a smaller cover guy? And that's a quick play so you're not gonna get sacked. Sometimes I have no idea what we're trying to do out there.

And can someone explain to me why, 5 years into the Vermeil plan, Chris Horn is out there as a reciever for us? This guy should not be on this football team. I don't care what he does. We don't need "nice" recievers at this point, we need freaking threats at the reciever position...

Skip Towne
10-31-2005, 08:32 AM
What ?

Anything else ?
Yep, one more thing. Gates is much harder to bring down. His RAC is much better than Tony's.

Skip Towne
10-31-2005, 08:38 AM
The only thing that you should compare the Royals to are the Arizona Cardinals
Yeah, or the Titanic.

Straight, No Chaser
10-31-2005, 08:43 AM
Here is the difference, and it has probably already been mentioned. San Diego has their weapons (Tomlinson and Gates) and they use them by repeatedly going to them.

After Tony's drop in the 1st quarter, they needed to go back to him right away instead of waiting into the third quarter. Tony can still out play LB's for the ball... I don't care if it's short yardage or not.

--->

jspchief
10-31-2005, 08:47 AM
Yep, one more thing. Gates is much harder to bring down. His RAC is much better than Tony's.Which is why that stupid lateral to Gonzo that always results in a 2 yard loss makes me want to go on a killing spree.

Talk about not understanding the strengths of your players.

Skip Towne
10-31-2005, 08:49 AM
Did I read this right? You think they will put MORE men in the box if we add another deep threat to what we have?

htismaqe
10-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Which is why that stupid lateral to Gonzo that always results in a 2 yard loss makes me want to go on a killing spree.

Talk about not understanding the strengths of your players.

Yep.

This coaching staff, on both sides of the ball, is 80% scheme, and 20% adjustments.

HemiEd
10-31-2005, 11:53 AM

I do not understand this. :doh!:

HemiEd
10-31-2005, 11:55 AM

Defensive Line pressure, they had it and we did not.

Clint in Wichita
10-31-2005, 12:00 PM
I think Gates is better right now than Gonzo has been at any point in his career.

As good as Gonzo was, he never has the speed to take a long one to the house. Even Shockey is faster.

XXXshogunXXX
10-31-2005, 12:40 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9014035

Tribal Warfare
10-31-2005, 05:20 PM
Did I read this right? You think they will put MORE men in the box if we add another deep threat to what we have?
No, I retorted unless KC gets a deep threat at the WR position. The defense will key on the short to mid-range passing game, and make Gonzo's futility continue . Hell, even Shannon Sharpe had McAffrey and Rod Smith to take the load off .