PDA

View Full Version : If the Chiefs don't make the playoffs what's next?

chiefsfan1963
10-30-2005, 11:07 PM
Obviously Vermiel will retire. What do we do after that clean house? I don't think AS deserves the HC position. Cleaning house seems to be the answer. What about players? Focusing on wideouts, oline, dline during next year's draft and free agency moves during the offseason. Man a lot of change for 2006. I wonder if it is practical to even think a new HC can come in and take us to the playoffs next year? I hate to say it, but we may have to wait another 2 years (2007) to see the postseason again. Wow! I hope Chiefs can some how turn it around this year and show us something! If not, it's going to be a very long 2 years! :(

Dunit35
10-30-2005, 11:13 PM
Depends on how our younger O-lineman do for the rest of the season, Green wont retire this year, DT help, WR help, RG, LT, QBOFT.

1.DT Draft
2.WR Draft
3.QB
4.LT Draft
5.RG Draft

chiefsfan1963
10-30-2005, 11:31 PM
If we don't make the playoffs AS will be gone along with the whole coaching staff! Vermeil era will end and many of our vets will be exiting either cut or retire. Shields, Roaf, our wideouts. It will be unlikely that we'll see the postseason for another 2 years with the new HC and his staff will need at least 2 years to get in. We'll renegotiate LJ's contract and make him officially our featured back. Given that Priest was seriously considering retirement this year he could decide to call it quits when he sees all his team mates and coaching staff exiting. Man a big shake up is looking like probability after this season! Hope we can turn this puppy around and surprise everyone by making the playoffs and winning our first playoff game in 8 years!

wolfpack0735
10-31-2005, 12:04 AM
sheilds will retire,roaf wasnt sure, probable holmes. other than that the offense will be the same. sheilds hasnt done anything great this year yet and we saw what its going to be like without roaf. so we need a lt and gd. and also a wr.

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2005, 01:20 AM
Regardless, we need a coaching overhaul...

KCChiefsMan
10-31-2005, 01:25 AM
lets stop pulling the panic alarm, I don't think the season is over, I'm sure plenty of teams that started out 4-3 went to the playoffs and maybe even superbowl. We could have easily won that game, just poor red zone execution and 1st half, but for the 2nd half we saw how we are capable of playing for the most part, with the exception of the bad offense inside the 5

TeamPriest31
10-31-2005, 01:45 AM
I agree that the season is not over with, but it will be a struggle to make the playoffs in our divison. The Broncos are running away with the division. The Chargers are a very good team. Forget about the Raiders. I hope that Al Saunders does not become the next head coach. I would prefer a defensive minded coach. It was nice to see them spread the ball around more in the 2nd half of the Chargers game. We need more of that.

tk13
10-31-2005, 01:57 AM
I don't know WTF is wrong with everybody, but I'm gonna start going Rambo on people soon. Why is everybody in such a freaking hurry to finish the season? We wait the whole damn year to get to football season, and we aren't even halfway in and everybody's ready for it to be over.... and we have a WINNING record. I mean I understand the frustration over that crap we saw today but that doesn't mean it's time to pull the feeding tube.

Mecca
10-31-2005, 01:58 AM
Considering this team is 30 million dollars over next years salary cap. I think they were expecting the overhaul coming into the year.

tk13
10-31-2005, 02:04 AM
We'll be fine. I don't think the "overhaul" is going to be as bad as people think. Carl claims to have this all figured out. We'll see. That's why we didn't go after Ty Law... didn't want to jump off the edge and guarantee salary cap problems. Either way, I'd like to finish this season before we worry about the next one. I know Titus always jokes about the season being "over" but this is getting kinda ridiculous.

kcxiv
10-31-2005, 02:31 AM
It happens with every team man. Every message board talks about the season is done after a lose. Like ooh is this the start of us choking ect ect ect. As i said once you figure out that people are stupid, and will always be negative. Its alot easier to deal with the Doom and Gloom of people posting after a loss.

Mecca
10-31-2005, 02:40 AM
We'll be fine. I don't think the "overhaul" is going to be as bad as people think. Carl claims to have this all figured out. We'll see. That's why we didn't go after Ty Law... didn't want to jump off the edge and guarantee salary cap problems. Either way, I'd like to finish this season before we worry about the next one. I know Titus always jokes about the season being "over" but this is getting kinda ridiculous.

I'm not predicting doom and gloom, I just said that because of what the thread was about. I figured if anyone didn't know we were that much over next years cap they'd want to know if they were thinking about that.

We have to win the next 3 games if we don't then you can basically talk about the season being done.

tk13
10-31-2005, 02:45 AM
If we don't win the next three games? What if we go 2-1? Then we'd be 6-4. The season would be over?

Mecca
10-31-2005, 02:48 AM
If we don't win the next three games? What if we go 2-1? Then we'd be 6-4. The season would be over?

Well considering who the next 3 games are, I'd be very disappointed.

kcxiv
10-31-2005, 02:51 AM
Raiders are going to be tough. They always are regardless of either teams Record. But against the other 2 teams it hink we can pound thier face in.

Mecca
10-31-2005, 03:05 AM
If we lose that Raider game that puts as at 3-3 in the division as a best case scenario. Then we'd have to finish really strong because I doubt we'd have the division tie breaker.

Hammock Parties
10-31-2005, 03:13 AM

People are dumb.

That being said, the only game I could stomach losing is the Bills game.

Rausch
10-31-2005, 04:18 AM
Considering this team is 30 million dollars over next years salary cap. I think they were expecting the overhaul coming into the year.

ESPN reported just 2 days ago we'd be about 4 mil UNDER the cap after this season...

Pants
10-31-2005, 04:26 AM
Well considering who the next 3 games are, I'd be very disappointed.

Jesus, are you really trying to be this stupid? Do you know how hard is it win 3 games in a row in NFL? This isn't f*cking highschool man.

Hate to use a cliche, but have you heard the phrase "Any given sunday"? If you are seriously expecting us to go 3-0 or be done for the season, you have issues. Issues like stupidty.

Mecca
10-31-2005, 06:48 AM
Jesus, are you really trying to be this stupid? Do you know how hard is it win 3 games in a row in NFL? This isn't f*cking highschool man.

Hate to use a cliche, but have you heard the phrase "Any given sunday"? If you are seriously expecting us to go 3-0 or be done for the season, you have issues. Issues like stupidty.

Thanks for the namecalling always make the convo a little better. I guess to be a fan I need to lower my expectation into thinking that we can't beat the last place team in our division at home. We can't be a struggling Bills team riddled with injury that's last in the NFL against the run. Then let's follow that up by choking to maybe the worst team in the league.

If they can't beat those 3 teams then I'll have a really hard time believing they can beat many of the other teams left on the schedule. There are games you have to win to make the playoffs these are 3 of them they choke any of them away then the odds of making it get real slim.

Yea it's so damn wrong of me to expect to win against teams that aren't good. Yep, I got it. I need to think the Chiefs suck and have no expectations of them doing well. Then you'll be happy with me and my comments. I'll just set my level of expectation really low then I won't upset you with any posts how about that?

Nah on 2nd though it's better to watch someone call you stupid because god forbid they don't agree with something you said.

Pants
10-31-2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the namecalling always make the convo a little better. I guess to be a fan I need to lower my expectation into thinking that we can't beat the last place team in our division at home. We can't be a struggling Bills team riddled with injury that's last in the NFL against the run. Then let's follow that up by choking to maybe the worst team in the league.

If they can't beat those 3 teams then I'll have a really hard time believing they can beat many of the other teams left on the schedule. There are games you have to win to make the playoffs these are 3 of them they choke any of them away then the odds of making it get real slim.

Yea it's so damn wrong of me to expect to win against teams that aren't good. Yep, I got it. I need to think the Chiefs suck and have no expectations of them doing well. Then you'll be happy with me and my comments. I'll just set my level of expectation really low then I won't upset you with any posts how about that?

Nah on 2nd though it's better to watch someone call you stupid because god forbid they don't agree with something you said.

I was trying to tell you that going 2-1 in the next 3 games will not end our season.

stevieray
10-31-2005, 07:29 AM
thirty more years of the same.

jspchief
10-31-2005, 07:34 AM
ESPN reported just 2 days ago we'd be about 4 mil UNDER the cap after this season...Actually, what they reported is that we are 4 million under the cap right now. The reason that is newsworthy is because we can accelerate some bonuses onto this year's cap, that otherwise would have hit next year. We can max out this year's cap by a certain date, and lessen the burden on the 2006 cap.

Beyond that, we have some big contracts that very well could retire after the season. Roaf and Shields alone would clear around 9 million I think.

PastorMikH
10-31-2005, 07:40 AM
It's not about making the playoffs for me. It is about SUCCESS in the playoffs. If there aren't at least 1-2 wins in the playoffs I'm ready to scrap everyone on payroll that doesn't have a number on their shirt.

We need a coach that has the talent to lead a team and the desire to push them. A Team is the reflection of their coach. Our team is soft and passive right now. I want a coach that brings toughness back to the team.

kcblue555
10-31-2005, 09:07 AM
It's going to be a mess with King Carl trying to cover his ass!

BigRedChief
10-31-2005, 09:16 AM
After this season and if it ends without a good playoff run I see Roaf, Shields, Richardson, Kennison, Holmes, Dunn and DV retiring.

Hopefully King Carl will chose to follow his buddy out the door and Lamar throws a boatload of money at Scott Pioli and we start the rebuilding process right

Chiefs Pantalones
10-31-2005, 09:17 AM
I want DV and company gone after this year. I said that in the offseason, and I still stand by that.

Carl can stay or go, but it would be great if he were to leave too. One or the other would be fine. Five years is enough, DV tried he didn't succeed, move on. I don't want another beat your head against the wall 15 year plan like the one Carl has screwed Chiefs fans with. It'd be great if both were to leave after this year, but we can only realistically expect one to go, and that one most likely being DV.

kcblue555
10-31-2005, 09:26 AM
15 year plan? Carl just reupped for 5 more years last year. Hes making what $3 to $5 million a year. Why would he leave? I'tll be a 21 year plan by the time he leaves. Lamar is making $25-40 MILLION profit a year regardless of how the Chiefs perform what's the incentive for Lamar to go all out as far as top notch personnel and salary to really build a legitimate Superbowl contender? NONE!!!!

Nzoner
10-31-2005, 09:33 AM
Forget about the Raiders.

I sure hope the team doesn't have that attitude or next week this place will truly have a meltdown.

Saulbadguy
10-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Basketball season, I guess.

hawkchief
10-31-2005, 09:45 AM
Folks, we are witnessing the Chiefs last stand (at least for several years). This team is in horrible shape cap wise, and we are facing several retirements at key positions. The team was exposed yesterday by a much younger, much more athletic team, that we will be fortunate to have here within the next 5 years. Carl Peterson has completely blown the opportunity we had with the like of Shields, Roaf, Dunn, Holmes, Green and Gonzo, all in their primes. His charade of putting some defensive FA's on the field this year was way too little, way too late. If Peterson could evdaluate talent, and we wouldn't have frittered away so many drafts, the team wouldn't be in this position. Beware of TV blackouts coming our way the next few seasons. There are plenty of people who are sick of this regime, and in particular, Peterson. Season ticket opportunites will be abundant.

Skip Towne
10-31-2005, 09:47 AM
15 year plan? Carl just reupped for 5 more years last year. Hes making what $3 to $5 million a year. Why would he leave? I'tll be a 21 year plan by the time he leaves. Lamar is making $25-40 MILLION profit a year regardless of how the Chiefs perform what's the incentive for Lamar to go all out as far as top notch personnel and salary to really build a legitimate Superbowl contender? NONE!!!!
You're right about Lamar's incentive to win. In the 80's, when only 20,000 people showed up, it still took Lamar 10years to dump Schaaf and Steadman. If he put up with that, he'll certainly tolerate a full stadium.

Pants
10-31-2005, 09:48 AM
Folks, we are witnessing the Chiefs last stand (at least for several years). This team is in horrible shape cap wise, and we are facing several retirements at key positions. The team was exposed yesterday by a much younger, much more athletic team, that we will be fortunate to have here within the next 5 years. Carl Peterson has completely blown the opportunity we had with the like of Shields, Roaf, Dunn, Holmes, Green and Gonzo, all in their primes. His charade of putting some defensive FA's on the field this year was way too little, way too late. If Peterson could evdaluate talent, and we wouldn't have frittered away so many drafts, the team wouldn't be in this position. Beware of TV blackouts coming our way the next few seasons. There are plenty of people who are sick of this regime, and in particular, Peterson. Season ticket opportunites will be abundant.
You do realize we were within 2 plays of tying the game in the 4th QT...

Sammy makes the takle and we score on the 5...

thebrad84
10-31-2005, 10:14 AM
I was trying to tell you that going 2-1 in the next 3 games will not end our season.

No, it certainly wouldn't end our season. We'd have 6 games left. What it would hurt, and I think this is what Mecca is trying to argue, is our chances of being a legitimate playoff contender. We CANNOT afford to lose those 3 games. After that 3 game stretch we play the Pats, Broncos, at Cowboys, at Giants, Chargers, and then finish with the Bengals. That is a ridiculously hard schedule to finish on. If we cannot beat teams like the Bills, who rely heavily on their running game (which our D seems to be pretty good at stopping); the Texans, who rely heavily on their...well, nothing; and the Raiders, who we've already beat at their house, then what can our expectations be like against the remaining 6 teams we play? Those two road games will be extremely hard to win, and the 4 home games we are looking at atleast 1 loss in there.

With the way our team is playing right now, those final 6 games look like a best case scenario of 4-2, but more realistically at 3-3. If we lose against these next 3 (IMO) "must win" games, then we are looking at 10-6 record (best case scenario), and more practically at a 9-7 record. With either of those two records we would then have to rely upon teams like the Steelers (or Bengals, whichever doesn't win the division), Jaguars (4-3 and have an extremely easy looking schedule left) and Chargers (who look mighty impressive, just unlucky) to have finishing records at or below 10-6.

Now, on the other hand, if we win these next three games, like we should, then it puts us in a much better position for a wild card birth. Your are looking at a pretty practical 10-6 record, and hopefully more like a 11-5 record, which should very easily get us that playoff birth. So, would our season be over if we lose one of these next 3 games? No, we'd still have 6 extremely hard games left that we would have to try to mustard out atleast 4 wins to have a chance. Would it really hurt our chances at going to the playoffs (which I would hope at the very least is everyone expectations of this team)? Yes, and I think this is what Mecca was trying to point out.

FloridaMan88
10-31-2005, 10:18 AM
The Broncos are running away with the division.

Denver is poised for another late season collapse because 5 of their final 8 games are on the road, where they are a very average team (at best).

Denver's record on the road this year= 1-2 (including getting humiliated by a crappy Dolphins team)

thebrad84
10-31-2005, 10:27 AM
Denver is poised for another late season collapse because 5 of their final 8 games are on the road, where they are a very average team (at best).

Denver's record on the road this year= 1-2 (including getting humiliated by a crappy Dolphins team)

As much as I would love to see that happen, their team looks VERY impressive so far. You have to figure they will win atleast 5 more games this year (3 at home should be a lock), giving them a 11-5 record, which should be good enough to win our division. Hopefully they will collapse, it sure would make me smile, but the way they are running the ball, they look pretty damn good unfortunately.

hawkchief
10-31-2005, 10:39 AM
Metro,

If you want to believe that we are only 2 plays away from being as good a team as the Chargers, please go ahead. They are simply younger, quicker, stronger and better than us. So are the Broncos. Yes, we came back and made it somewhat close. But, the game reminded me of the Eagles game - - we just aren't as physical, fast or good at the skill positions as many other teams. IMO it is only going to get worse before it gets better.

htismaqe
10-31-2005, 10:47 AM
Metro,

If you want to believe that we are only 2 plays away from being as good a team as the Chargers, please go ahead. They are simply younger, quicker, stronger and better than us. So are the Broncos. Yes, we came back and made it somewhat close. But, the game reminded me of the Eagles game - - we just aren't as physical, fast or good at the skill positions as many other teams. IMO it is only going to get worse before it gets better.

Let's wait and see how badly we beat both of them at Arrowhead before we annoint them...

hawkchief
10-31-2005, 10:52 AM
There is a decent chance we beat them at home. On paper, and a neutral field, we lose more than we win against the two.

htismaqe
10-31-2005, 10:54 AM
There is a decent chance we beat them at home. On paper, and a neutral field, we lose more than we win against the two.

On paper? A neutral field?

Give me a ****ing break.

The only game that's EVER played on a neutral field is the Super Bowl, and we won't see either of them there...

hawkchief
10-31-2005, 11:04 AM
I didn't say we would play them there, I stated my opinion that they are a better teams. They will likely go further this season, and are better suited to do well over the next few years than the Chiefs. We are watching the end of a run for the Chiefs that hasn't produced what it should have thanks to our arrogant, greedy GM.

Pants
10-31-2005, 11:56 AM
Metro,

I said we were two plays from tying them late in 4th. So, if we beat them at Arrowhead, we'd still be a much worse team, right? Comon dude...

Red Dawg
10-31-2005, 12:36 PM
We gotta beat the Raiders first. That will not be easy

Red Dawg
10-31-2005, 12:47 PM
I don't know WTF is wrong with everybody, but I'm gonna start going Rambo on people soon. Why is everybody in such a freaking hurry to finish the season? We wait the whole damn year to get to football season, and we aren't even halfway in and everybody's ready for it to be over.... and we have a WINNING record. I mean I understand the frustration over that crap we saw today but that doesn't mean it's time to pull the feeding tube.

I don't think you understand. Yes we have a winning record but no way will this team win anything. We play tough defense's the whole year and our offense has looked no where near up to the task. What good team have we beat? Right now it's just the Skins and even they got housed. Every good team we've played has beat out ass and shut down our offense.

I realize the season is long from over but the Giants, Dallas and Buffalo are going to kick our ass. Can we win the rest of our home games even? Hell no. NE, Cinci or Denver will beat us.

Calcountry
10-31-2005, 12:53 PM
I agree that the season is not over with, but it will be a struggle to make the playoffs in our divison. The Broncos are running away with the division. The Chargers are a very good team. Forget about the Raiders. I hope that Al Saunders does not become the next head coach. I would prefer a defensive minded coach. It was nice to see them spread the ball around more in the 2nd half of the Chargers game. We need more of that.I wouldn't even forget about the Raiders. Can we beat them next weeK?

Calcountry
10-31-2005, 12:55 PM
You're right about Lamar's incentive to win. In the 80's, when only 20,000 people showed up, it still took Lamar 10years to dump Schaaf and Steadman. If he put up with that, he'll certainly tolerate a full stadium.It starts at the top. If Lamar doesn't give a fug, then why should I?

Simplex3
10-31-2005, 01:00 PM
lets stop pulling the panic alarm, I don't think the season is over, I'm sure plenty of teams that started out 4-3 went to the playoffs and maybe even superbowl. We could have easily won that game, just poor red zone execution and 1st half, but for the 2nd half we saw how we are capable of playing for the most part, with the exception of the bad offense inside the 5
How many times did we see some team come back on us and beat us the the second half when Marty was here? We were unable to be one of those teams yesterday. 4 other teams have been good enough this year and we weren't.

Simplex3
10-31-2005, 01:04 PM
ESPN reported just 2 days ago we'd be about 4 mil UNDER the cap after this season...
I believe ESPN's estimates are based on a huge increase in the cap due to a guess about a new CBA with the player's union.

Simplex3
10-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Amen. No SB team has ever lost two or three games like that in their season.

Calcountry
10-31-2005, 01:37 PM
I agree that the season is not over with, but it will be a struggle to make the playoffs in our divison. The Broncos are running away with the division. The Chargers are a very good team. Forget about the Raiders. I hope that Al Saunders does not become the next head coach. I would prefer a defensive minded coach. It was nice to see them spread the ball around more in the 2nd half of the Chargers game. We need more of that.Based on the way AS gameplanned yesterday, I absolutely don't want him as head coach. :shake:

tk13
10-31-2005, 02:23 PM
Amen. No SB team has ever lost two or three games like that in their season.
The Patriots lost to the lowly Dolphins last year... and they finished with the 2nd worst record in football.

chiefsfan1963
10-31-2005, 05:46 PM
After this season and if it ends without a good playoff run I see Roaf, Shields, Richardson, Kennison, Holmes, Dunn and DV retiring.

Hopefully King Carl will chose to follow his buddy out the door and Lamar throws a boatload of money at Scott Pioli and we start the rebuilding process right

Man that's a lot of people retiring! If true, I hope those above mentioned players realize this is it and do all they can to make the playoffs and at least have an opportunity to make it to Detriot. A 6-3 or 7-2 record going forward is the goal. 2 or 3 losses is all they can afford. GO CHIEFS!

It's a tall order, and if they accomplish it I will be very impressed!

chiefsfan1963
10-31-2005, 05:56 PM

True true I ate to say! San Diego has paid it's dues! it took about 7 terrible years for the Chargers to come back in strong form. I would love to see Carl leave. That will be the first real step to moving forward. Vermeil is just an employee I hate to say. He did pretty well with what Carl and Lamar allowed him, but the real problem for Chiefs fans is Carl and Lamar. Until Lamar gives a damn and has some pride we're going no where! :cuss:

chiefsfan1963
10-31-2005, 06:01 PM
Based on the way AS gameplanned yesterday, I absolutely don't want him as head coach. :shake:

That may be the best thing we have learned from the 2005 season. perhaps it will enable us to pick a better HC in 2006.

Calcountry
10-31-2005, 06:13 PM
The Patriots lost to the lowly Dolphins last year... and they finished with the 2nd worst record in football.Only because Brady started to get a god complex by thinking he could complete pass while sitting on his ass.

CosmicPal
10-31-2005, 06:15 PM
What's next?

Well, the first thing that will happen is DV will retire. He's said it a few times- if he can't make it work with the players he has now, he'll quit and give someone else a chance.

With that, I expect a few of the players to retire. The first one will be Shields. After which I suspect Richardson will retire next.

Roaf will think about it, but I expect him to retire. He may wait until we announce a new Head Coach. I suspect Saunders, during this time, will say goodbye.

Once the new coach is named, we will then see the others go: Woods and Dunn will be likely gone. Trent Green and Preist Holmes will then retire since DV and Saunders have said their goodbyes. The coach will then name his staff and they will evaluate the talent and the cap space. They will then release others to make room as well as trying to build a team around speed and ability.

The first thing the new coach will do is to get a new QB. Carr and Shaub will be good prospects. They will want a journeyman QB who can run a modern offense until they can either draft or groom a younger QB for the future.

They will have a lot of room to work with, but not a lot of cap money. It will be interesting to see what they do.

Lastly- I'm used to this by now. I'll cheer on the new team as I've cheered on the teams in the past. I'll still watch, and I'll still go to the games. The players and coaches all change, but it's still the same old Chiefs to me.

Hammock Parties
10-31-2005, 06:28 PM
I think Trent and Priest will stick around, unless Priest has season-ending injury.

I'm not sure on Roaf, he said he wanted to play 3 more years. Shields and Richardson are gone for sure IMO. I don't think Dunn is going anywhere.

Does anyone know our status for free agents next year? I'm fairly sure we're going to be over the cap by quite a bit anyway.

Adept Havelock
10-31-2005, 07:31 PM
If we don't make it? Easy. Replacements needed at LG, possibly LT. I doubt it, but possibly QB. Also, we'll certainly need a WR or two, as well as some help on the D-Line.

Oh yeah, and a new coaching staff. What's Weis's buy-out in Notre Dame? (Kidding...)

Hammock Parties
10-31-2005, 07:40 PM
You mean RG. Waters is the LG.

Eleazar
10-31-2005, 07:41 PM
I may be bumping this thread again at the end of the year, but I'll take a shot in the dark and say it's going to be Pete Carroll.

CosmicPal
10-31-2005, 07:51 PM
I may be bumping this thread again at the end of the year, but I'll take a shot in the dark and say it's going to be Pete Carroll.

Why do you think it might be Pete Carroll? He'd be an interesting choice. I'm not sure I'm sold on him as I would rather have one of the assistants out there in the NFL.

siberian khatru
10-31-2005, 07:57 PM

I never quite understood why he was dumped on as an NFL coach. His record is OK ... It's not like he took good teams and ran them into the ground. Belichick took over the Pats from him and went 5-11. I know his teams didn't do very well in the second halves of seasons. And IIRC, he seemed to be too much of a rah-rah, hyper guy. But I seem to remember USC being laughed at for hiring the guy, and I thought that was unwarranted.

He's certainly adapted to the college game pretty well.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2005, 08:41 PM
There's no way Carroll goes to the NFL now, especially to the Chiefs. The guy is the king of LA right now (and its 20 million people), not to mention he's going for his third straight college football championship. He's already got a Super Bowl ring as D coordinator of the 49er's in 1994 and has been a mediocre head coach for both the Patriots and the Jets.

He's a rah, rah college football coach who's got the best gig in the country. No way does he leave that behind.

Dane

Johnson&Johnson
10-31-2005, 08:51 PM
Assuming we do not make the playoffs, ouch..thats just plain and simple painful just to think that.

From what I know, next year's crop of OLine men are one of the strongest in years. So it means we need to draft some O-line.

It has to be O-line, D-line, LBs, DBs and WR in that order of priority. And trade for David Carr as our QB for the future assuming Green plays one more year.

milkman
10-31-2005, 09:22 PM
True true I ate to say! San Diego has paid it's dues! it took about 7 terrible years for the Chargers to come back in strong form. I would love to see Carl leave. That will be the first real step to moving forward. Vermeil is just an employee I hate to say. He did pretty well with what Carl and Lamar allowed him, but the real problem for Chiefs fans is Carl and Lamar. Until Lamar gives a damn and has some pride we're going no where! :cuss:

I really don't get this line of thought.

You can blame Lamar for hiring and sticking with Carl.

You can blame Carl for hiring the likes of Marty, Gunther, and Dick to run the team.

You can blame Carl for bad talent evaluations and bad drafts.

But the fact is that Lamar has opened his wallet, and Carl has spent Lamar's money over and over again to try to put talent on the field.

Marty couldn't get it done.

Gun couldn't get it done.

And, to this point, Dick hasn't gotten it done.

Carl needs to go.
I agree with that sentiment.

But he needs to go because he hasn't gotten it done, not because he hasn't really tried to get it done.

milkman
10-31-2005, 09:23 PM
Assuming we do not make the playoffs, ouch..thats just plain and simple painful just to think that.

From what I know, next year's crop of OLine men are one of the strongest in years. So it means we need to draft some O-line.

It has to be O-line, D-line, LBs, DBs and WR in that order of priority. And trade for David Carr as our QB for the future assuming Green plays one more year.

Just say no to Carr!

Mecca
10-31-2005, 11:16 PM
There is no way Pete Carroll would leave USC for the Chiefs. I think the only time he will think about leaving USC would be if L.A. gets an NFL team. Pete's an L.A. guy so I don't see him leaving there for the Chiefs.

Even if Priest Holmes wants to come back the Chiefs should tell him bye. This team needs to go through a major rebuilding where this team is basically torn down to the bones. Priest Holmes isn't part of the future, we have our future RB already on the roster. Save the money, get the cap room back, this should be Holmes last year with the Chiefs.

Johnson&Johnson
10-31-2005, 11:20 PM
There is no way Pete Carroll would leave USC for the Chiefs. I think the only time he will think about leaving USC would be if L.A. gets an NFL team. Pete's an L.A. guy so I don't see him leaving there for the Chiefs.

Even if Priest Holmes wants to come back the Chiefs should tell him bye. This team needs to go through a major rebuilding where this team is basically torn down to the bones. Priest Holmes isn't part of the future, we have our future RB already on the roster. Save the money, get the cap room back, this should be Holmes last year with the Chiefs.

Mecca, you down with my campaign to get Carr in red & gold for 2006?

Mecca
10-31-2005, 11:23 PM
Mecca, you down with my campaign to get Carr in red & gold for 2006?

I don't think Houston is going to let him go........

Johnson&Johnson
10-31-2005, 11:27 PM
I don't think Houston is going to let him go........

I know. Wishful thinking sometimes can become a reality.

Never in my life I'd thought I see Joe Montana a Chief. And BTW, he was the last QB that helped us win a playoff game.... :deevee:

BigRedChief
10-31-2005, 11:40 PM
Never in my life I'd thought I see Joe Montana a Chief. And BTW, he was the last QB that helped us win a playoff game.... :deevee:

And the last time this team on both sides of the ball had a swagger about itself. Going into Houston at the height of "Luv ya Blue" and taking it to them. Had the lead at halftime in Buffalo and would have won the game and made it to the Super Bowl if Montana doesn't go down with a concussion. AHHH those were the days.:)

digi2fish
11-01-2005, 12:58 AM
welcome to the Double Johnsons era

Hammock Parties
11-01-2005, 01:02 AM
Had the lead at halftime in Buffalo

No we didn't.

tk13
11-01-2005, 01:08 AM
I think if Carroll is going to leave, after this season would be the time to do it. Especially if they win the whole thing again. He certainly has nothing left to prove there. Depends on how much he wants to be challenged.

wolfpack0735
11-01-2005, 09:29 AM
it dont matter who our QBOF is going to be or if we trade or buy anyone. if the chiefs dont do something about the shaddy village retirment line`s blocking hes going to have a heck of a time passing. might want to fix the line first.

BigRedChief
11-01-2005, 09:33 AM
No we didn't.

did too. :p

I bet that 95% of Chief fans thought Montanta and the Chiefs were going to go to Buffalo and get the win, correct? We believed. But now......

How many think we can go into Indy and win on the road? :sulk:

chefsos
11-01-2005, 10:31 AM
And the last time this team on both sides of the ball had a swagger about itself. Going into Houston at the height of "Luv ya Blue" and taking it to them. Had the lead at halftime in Buffalo and would have won the game and made it to the Super Bowl if Montana doesn't go down with a concussion. AHHH those were the days.:)
No we didn't.

This made me curious myself. Though I wanted to believe it was closer than this, looks like gochiefs is right.

January 23, 1994
Quarter 1 2 3 4 Tot
Chiefs 6 0 7 0 13
Bills 7 13 0 10 30
AFC: Buffalo Bills 30, Kansas City Chiefs 13

at Rich Stadium, Orchard Park, New York
Running Back Thurman Thomas led the Bills to victory with 186 rushing yards and three touchdowns.

Scoring
BUF - Thomas 12 run (Christie kick)
KC - FG Lowery 31
KC - FG Lowery 31
BUF - Thomas 3 run (Christie kick)
BUF - FG Christie 23
BUF - FG Christie 25
KC - Allen 1 run (Lowery kick)
BUF - FG Christie 18
BUF - Thomas 3 run (Christie kick)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs,_1993-94

htismaqe
11-01-2005, 10:33 AM
did too. :p

I bet that 95% of Chief fans thought Montanta and the Chiefs were going to go to Buffalo and get the win, correct? We believed. But now......

How many think we can go into Indy and win on the road? :sulk:

That's because 95% of Chief fans were snowed by Marty.

Area 51
11-01-2005, 10:40 AM
If the Chiefs don't make the playoffs this place will implode.

The Chiefs will probably do what the masses want and clean house.

The implosion will continue for the next two or three seasons as they find out nothing has changed and everyone will figure out that at one time in history they were wrong and the football professionals were right.

We know what we want, but our vision is short sighted. We have opinions on who to blame but we are not as connected as we might like to think.

The Chiefs have the best fans in the NFL? I would question that.

greg63
11-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Vermeil is gone regardless, IMO. The length of time it takes to get back to the play-offs depends on the extent of the overhaul. If CP follows his usual method he will go with a "quick fix" filling the starting roster with aging free agency so that in the next three to four years we are back in the same boat.
JMHO, I'm pretty much clueless though.

MahiMike
11-01-2005, 12:32 PM
I think we have to assume that Denver will win the division. That makes things even tougher since we're really competing against lotsa AFC teams vs. just 3 in our division. (duh!)

With that said, every game is important. That's what makes games like Philly so damn hard to swallow. I remember one year when we lost to a terrible Chicago team in like week 6 and missed the playoffs by 1 game.

Focus, focus, focus...

CanadaKC
11-01-2005, 12:54 PM
If we don't make the playoffs...it's absolutely the time to rebuild...and I pray Carl won't do it through free agency. That, has more often than not...been a huge bust for teams and a burden on the salary cap. The consensus is that if we don't make the playoffs, or even if we do for that matter...the chance Vermeil, Roaf, Shields, and Priest Holmes retire all at once is very high...literally forcing us into a rebuilding mode anyways. No way Priest stays in the game without those two linemen IMO..so one cancels out the other. With that likely scenario...I'd almost applaud a drastic phase of trading Gonzo to a contender...for picks. Enter that Leinart sweepstakes...if at all possible....groom our QBOTF. I think we are beginning to realize that a great QB really can stablize a franchise for years to come...it will make players want to play in KC. Then...cut all the old players and dead weight....maybe even the entire coaching staff. In the end...I think a complete change of pace rather than tiny amounts of tinkering would be the best for KC in the long run. It would be rough for awhile...but just imagine 6-8 really great draft picks panning out at the same time...with a franchise QB at the helm.

chiefqueen
11-01-2005, 01:03 PM
DV, Shields, and Roaf probably will not be the only retirements, I'm speculating that when these retirements happen CP himself, who turns 65 next year, will retire than begin a new rebuilding project.

IMO if we don't make the playoffs this year it will be at least until 2010 until we make them again. If we do make them, however, the wait will be longer, until 2012 or 2013, because decisions that should be made during the next offseason will be put off.

chiefsfan1963
11-01-2005, 01:08 PM
I had the chance to see the game again via NFL TIcket Super Fan Short Cuts, and totally agree with a few on this board that this loss was not too bad after further review of each play. Our D really did a pretty good job overall, and our O moved the ball but was unable to convert crucial points in the Red Zone. You can certainly blame the coaches on not abondoning the run soon enough, but overall this loss can actually be advantageous for this team going forward. They learned alot about themselves and can make the appropriate adjustments for the rest of the season! I can see this team going on a 5 game winning streak!

Call me crazy but I can see this happening. One game at a time will be the focus, and the next goal will be to win 2 games in row then 3. Once we do this for the first time in the season, then 5 in a row will be very achievable.

I couldn't see any of this on Sunday or Monday, but this team still has alot to work with and many of our playmakers are still not playing in 3rd or even 4th gear yet.

We'll know more after Sunday's game if any of this holds true.

bringbackmarty
11-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Vermiel resigns, Shields retires, Roaf is convinced to stay by King Carl for one more. Holmes and Green commit for next season, but Diaper Boy bitches about wanting to be traded. We Pick up Childress from the Eagles. Holmes changes mind and retires. Gonzalez is traded to Philly. We draft a DT and a WR. both of which suck.

Johnson&Johnson
11-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Vermiel resigns, Shields retires, Roaf is convinced to stay by King Carl for one more. Holmes and Green commit for next season, but Diaper Boy bitches about wanting to be traded. We Pick up Childress from the Eagles. Holmes changes mind and retires. Gonzalez is traded to Philly. We draft a DT and a WR. both of which suck.

:banghead:

Chief Henry
11-01-2005, 03:18 PM
If we don't make the playoffs.

Go hire Bill Cowher away from Pittsburg. He's perfect for Carl Peterson. Cowher can get more from his new players than any other coach.
Cowher keeps loosing players and he keeps winning
an is a rock solid defensive bulldozer.

Johnson&Johnson
11-01-2005, 03:36 PM

Go hire Bill Cowher away from Pittsburg. He's perfect for Carl Peterson. Cowher can get more from his new players than any other coach.

Yeah! Someone pass this on to the current players.

Guys, if you don't play better and smarter from DV's crying in the lockerroom, get ready for some saliva spit in YOUR FACE!!!! :drool:

Calcountry
11-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Vermiel resigns, Shields retires, Roaf is convinced to stay by King Carl for one more. Holmes and Green commit for next season, but Diaper Boy bitches about wanting to be traded. We Pick up Childress from the Eagles. Holmes changes mind and retires. Gonzalez is traded to Philly. We draft a DT and a WR. both of which suck.That's pretty good. That came to you in a Halloween nightmare last night, didn't it?

Calcountry
11-01-2005, 03:59 PM
If we don't make the playoffs...it's absolutely the time to rebuild...and I pray Carl won't do it through free agency. That, has more often than not...been a huge bust for teams and a burden on the salary cap. The consensus is that if we don't make the playoffs, or even if we do for that matter...the chance Vermeil, Roaf, Shields, and Priest Holmes retire all at once is very high...literally forcing us into a rebuilding mode anyways. No way Priest stays in the game without those two linemen IMO..so one cancels out the other. With that likely scenario...I'd almost applaud a drastic phase of trading Gonzo to a contender...for picks. Enter that Leinart sweepstakes...if at all possible....groom our QBOTF. I think we are beginning to realize that a great QB really can stablize a franchise for years to come...it will make players want to play in KC. Then...cut all the old players and dead weight....maybe even the entire coaching staff. In the end...I think a complete change of pace rather than tiny amounts of tinkering would be the best for KC in the long run. It would be rough for awhile...but just imagine 6-8 really great draft picks panning out at the same time...with a franchise QB at the helm.Don't stop, be liev ing....

Calcountry
11-01-2005, 04:02 PM
I think we have to assume that Denver will win the division. That makes things even tougher since we're really competing against lotsa AFC teams vs. just 3 in our division. (duh!)

With that said, every game is important. That's what makes games like Philly so damn hard to swallow. I remember one year when we lost to a terrible Chicago team in like week 6 and missed the playoffs by 1 game.

Focus, focus, focus...I hate to break it to you, but Denver is looking elite, as in, the team to beat period. No one has been able to stop their running, bootlegging, and plumbing.

As much as I hate them fuggers, they look pretty damn tough right now.

CanadaKC
11-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Iwill not stop believing...I hope they will make a serious run at "The Show"...but the question was posed as..."if the Chiefs don't make the playoffs...what next?"

1) Vermeil will retire...admitting defeat and leaving the team in disarray.
2) This will spark three retirements IMO...Shields, Roaf, and Holmes...
who are ready to pack in in despite the resignation anyways...but this is
the final push out the door. They'll want nothing to do with a new coach at this point in their careers....even though the system is the same.
3) Other players will be cut to clear the way for more cap room.
4) Carl will stay I believe...and he'll focus on the Patriots blueprint of success...build through the draft...and start the rebuilding process.
5) That includes a Gonzo trade...which as much as I hate to admit to say it...(it would kill me because he's my favorite player) would probably
parlay into a great pick in the draft and be best for all parties concerned.
6) We will make a HUGE push for Matt Leinart...cause a QBOTF like him doesn't come across the pike everyday (see Manning brothers)..and Leinart will solidify the future of this team for years to come...plus attract players who otherwise might not have wanted to come to KC.
7) We draft two more real stud defensive players...to anchor our D around Derrick Johnson.

milkman
11-01-2005, 09:27 PM
DV, Shields, and Roaf probably will not be the only retirements, I'm speculating that when these retirements happen CP himself, who turns 65 next year, will retire than begin a new rebuilding project.

IMO if we don't make the playoffs this year it will be at least until 2010 until we make them again. If we do make them, however, the wait will be longer, until 2012 or 2013, because decisions that should be made during the next offseason will be put off.

Carl just signed that contract extension in the offseason.
He won't be going anywhere for awhile.

kcfanXIII
11-01-2005, 09:32 PM

you're right, what we saw was Lawrence Tynes' ability to kick field goals. we have a shot at the playoffs, the season's not over, but they have to start playing better

milkman
11-01-2005, 09:32 PM
I had the chance to see the game again via NFL TIcket Super Fan Short Cuts, and totally agree with a few on this board that this loss was not too bad after further review of each play. Our D really did a pretty good job overall, and our O moved the ball but was unable to convert crucial points in the Red Zone. You can certainly blame the coaches on not abondoning the run soon enough, but overall this loss can actually be advantageous for this team going forward. They learned alot about themselves and can make the appropriate adjustments for the rest of the season! I can see this team going on a 5 game winning streak!

Call me crazy but I can see this happening. One game at a time will be the focus, and the next goal will be to win 2 games in row then 3. Once we do this for the first time in the season, then 5 in a row will be very achievable.

I couldn't see any of this on Sunday or Monday, but this team still has alot to work with and many of our playmakers are still not playing in 3rd or even 4th gear yet.

We'll know more after Sunday's game if any of this holds true.

You can blame the coaches for not going into that game with the idea of passing early to exploit the Chargers weakness, and to loosen up the Chargers run D.

I have very little faith that this game will lead to any adjustments.

This team, this year, seems hellbent on playing to the opponents strength.

milkman
11-01-2005, 09:34 PM

Why would Cowher leave Pittsburg, a place in which he has the power, to come to KC, where he would be Carl's underling?