PDA

View Full Version : What play by play analysts do you actually like?

PunkinDrublic
10-31-2005, 04:04 PM
It's easy to pick out the guys you hate and suspect of their anti-Chief bias. But who are the guys you feel actually add something to the broadcast? Nobodys perfect but here are some of the people who while not perfect all the time add a little insight.

Phil Simms- IMO is one of the best out there. Yesterdays game for example, he did a great job of balancing out commentary for both Chiefs and the Chargers. Very objective and didn't fawn too much over any one player.

Dan Deirdorf- I think Dan has good insight on things developing on the line of scrimmage. An ex offensive lineman who has good commentary on his field of expertise. Other than that he can be kind of an ass sometimes. Justifying Romo spitting in the face of another player was his low point.

Bill Maas- Whenever he's done Chiefs games on Fox that I've seen he's been biased toward the Chiefs and I love that.

John Madden- Yeah he's been losing it but when he's not proffessing his crush on Brett Favre or prattling on and on about turduckons or other things that have nothing to do with football I think he does a great job.

siberian khatru
10-31-2005, 04:05 PM
He's not very popular, but I've always liked Dierdorf.

Dunit35
10-31-2005, 04:07 PM
I hate listening to Madden, hes dumb and annoying. Stuart Scott should be an analysts. I dont mind listening to Aikman and Daryl Johnston or um JC Pierson. Simms is good.

Skip Towne
10-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Boom!!! John Madden.

Extra Point
10-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Thank God Emeril isn't an announcer, although Bill Maas is pretty close. I like how Bill Maas throws himself into game calling.

Anyone but one of the Sharpes! "I like what I'm seeing on the History Channel!" the next time he calls a game, when there's no game on any other channel, or the the Fox is calling the Chiefs game.

PunkinDrublic
10-31-2005, 04:13 PM
I hate listening to Madden, hes dumb and annoying. Stuart Scott should be an analysts. I dont mind listening to Aikman and Daryl Johnston or um JC Pierson. Simms is good.

Stuart Scott is annoying. I can't stand him doing the highlights. Stop calling the QB the playa and the CB intercepting the ball the playa hata.

Swanman
10-31-2005, 04:22 PM
I gotta tell ya, I've really liked what I've seen from Sterling Sharpe.

Dunit35
10-31-2005, 04:26 PM
Stuart Scott is annoying. I can't stand him doing the highlights. Stop calling the QB the playa and the CB intercepting the ball the playa hata.

Hahaha, I think its funny when he does that. Of course I can understand it getting annoying if a person hates hearing those slang words.

Rain Man
10-31-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm with the others on here in liking Dierdorf. He's my favorite of the color announcers.

Michaels is top-notch on the play by play, and I use to love the pre-game show when Costas did it. Did he ever do any games?

I think Collinsworth and Boomer are good analysts, though I don't know if they do games.

We need a list. I'm having trouble remembering who does play by play.

ChiefsGirl
10-31-2005, 04:29 PM
I like Darryl Johnston.

Skip Towne
10-31-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm with the others on here in liking Dierdorf. He's my favorite of the color announcers.

Michaels is top-notch on the play by play, and I use to love the pre-game show when Costas did it. Did he ever do any games?

I think Collinsworth and Boomer are good analysts, though I don't know if they do games.

We need a list. I'm having trouble remembering who does play by play.
Collinsworth is an opinionated bigmouth. Even the other announcers don't like him.

Rain Man
10-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Collinsworth is an opinionated bigmouth. Even the other announcers don't like him.

So Deion Sanders and Shannon Sharpe don't like him?

I think I like him more now.

Bowser
10-31-2005, 04:42 PM
I have always enjoyed Kevin Harlan's calls.

I like how Maas gets into the game. He is a good analyst.

And I know it's not the popular opinion around here, but I have always liked the trio of Patrick, Theismann, and McGuire. None of them may be good individually, but I like the calls they have as a group. They work well together. Makes me wonder how well Al Michaels and Joe Theismann will work together.

ArrowheadHawk
10-31-2005, 04:44 PM
does jaworski count

Bowser
10-31-2005, 04:46 PM
does jaworski count

His voice and inflections are annoying, but he has great insight of the game.

Sully
10-31-2005, 04:47 PM
Dierdorf is by far the best.
The rest all seem generic to me. Even Harlan is so watered down now that he's national that I don't like him...

cmh6476
10-31-2005, 04:56 PM
mitch, lenny and bob.

Harlan is pretty good too.

HemiEd
10-31-2005, 05:00 PM
I hated him at the time, but would welcome him back compared to what we have now.

HemiEd
10-31-2005, 05:02 PM
I gotta tell ya, I've really liked what I've seen from Sterling Sharpe.
ROFL

Redcoats58
10-31-2005, 05:15 PM
Al Micheals

kcfanXIII
10-31-2005, 05:16 PM
It's easy to pick out the guys you hate and suspect of their anti-Chief bias. But who are the guys you feel actually add something to the broadcast? Nobodys perfect but here are some of the people who while not perfect all the time add a little insight.

Phil Simms- IMO is one of the best out there. Yesterdays game for example, he did a great job of balancing out commentary for both Chiefs and the Chargers. Very objective and didn't fawn too much over any one player.

Dan Deirdorf- I think Dan has good insight on things developing on the line of scrimmage. An ex offensive lineman who has good commentary on his field of expertise. Other than that he can be kind of an ass sometimes. Justifying Romo spitting in the face of another player was his low point.

Bill Maas- Whenever he's done Chiefs games on Fox that I've seen he's been biased toward the Chiefs and I love that.

John Madden- Yeah he's been losing it but when he's not proffessing his crush on Brett Favre or prattling on and on about turduckons or other things that have nothing to do with football I think he does a great job.
i absolutely love kevin harlen, i think his voice should be the monday night play by play. he gets excited no matter what game he's calling.

"the A team" on fox, these guys all work really well with each other. don't know if you can take anyone alone, but give me the whole booth.

on the radio len dawson, kc's own john madden. if you watch a game with a girl, she won't ask the obvious questions because thats what len is best at.

madden, like you said is pretty good when he's not rambling, but i spend more time watching beer commercials during a game than time he spends talking about intelligent football.

B_Ambuehl
10-31-2005, 06:31 PM
I've been known to watch games I had absolutely zero interest in just because Mike Patrick is doing the commentary on ESPN sunday night.

Can't stand any of the CBS or old NBC announcers for some reason they always put me to sleep even though some of them were pretty good as far as "what" they had to say. Collinsworth keeps me awake on fox. Never liked any MNF announcer other then John Madden now. Buck and Aikman have their moments.

Joe Seahawk
10-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Aikman/Buck are my faves, followed by Micheals/Madden

KcMizzou
10-31-2005, 06:36 PM
madden, like you said is pretty good when he's not rambling, but i spend more time watching beer commercials during a game than time he spends talking about intelligent football.
Beer commercials? That's like an hour and a half, right?

plbrdude
10-31-2005, 06:38 PM
phil sims is good to listen to, though he's an analyst right?

GoTrav
10-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Aikman/Harlan and Michaels. Keith Jackson still has the best commentator voice IMO

Pitt Gorilla
10-31-2005, 06:57 PM

And I know it's not the popular opinion around here, but I have always liked the trio of Patrick, Theismann, and McGuire. None of them may be good individually, but I like the calls they have as a group. They work well together. Makes me wonder how well Al Michaels and Joe Theismann will work together. I like Harlan as well, although he's play-by-play. I wonder what Marv Albert would be like? "A spec-tacular move by (Lamont) Jordan!"

Big12fanatic
10-31-2005, 07:17 PM
By far, Kevin Harlan is the best.

HemiEd
10-31-2005, 07:46 PM
By far, Kevin Harlan is the best.

Welcome to the Planet!

Skip Towne
10-31-2005, 07:57 PM
I liked Harlan muh better as the Chiefs announcer than I do now. Oh, baby what a play!!!!!!!

ChiefsCountry
10-31-2005, 08:48 PM
I like Dick Enberg, Al Michaels, and Mike Patrick for play-by-play and for color Dan Deirdorf, Phil Simms, and Aikman.

milkman
10-31-2005, 10:50 PM
For color commentary, I miss Merlin Olsen.

Dan Dierdorph is the best right now.

Play by play, I miss Charlie Jones.

I like Mike Patrick, but that ESPN broadcast is hard to listen to because of Theisman and MaGuire.

Johnson&Johnson
10-31-2005, 11:02 PM

Kevin Harlan's my pick. If i can remember, whenever Harlan calls our game, we get the big "W".

Bill Maas of course cause he's always bias. :drool:

I really am bias toward these guys, especially Simms, he's a bad case for us. I think we have lost 90% of our games when Phil calls it. :mad:

I'm such a homer!

SLAG
11-01-2005, 12:47 AM
Len Dawson is my Favorite and Len/Mitch is honestly the best. Next I like Michaels but Im not a huge Madden Fan mostly because he coached the radierz So yeah but In my Opinion Len Dawson is the MAN of KC

ExtremeChief
11-01-2005, 06:59 AM
Michaels/Dierdorf would be the best combo IMO.

I don't mind Patrick/Theismann/McGwire

Hate oversimplistic Madden

Extra Point
11-01-2005, 07:40 AM
For college games, Mark May. Jaworski does a great job breaking down plays in his NFL analyst role.

Remember Dandy Don Meredith, the first seasons of MNF? Gifford was the straight man, Howard was the mouth, Meredith was the swinger.

My all-time favorite announcer is Bill Grigsby.

Mr. Rat Fink
11-01-2005, 09:07 AM
I like Brent Musberger...does he ever do the NFL?