PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs tore it up after abandoning the run...

Sportswax
10-31-2005, 04:13 PM
My day sucked, of course, not unlike yours I'm sure. After watching that embarrassment of a Vikings loss to the Panthers, I was all geared up and raucus at the sportsbar when the Chiefs v. Chargers and Denver v. Philadelphia games began. I have to say, there was a noticeable difference in the excitement of the game for me once Priest was injured and they seemed to realize that the run game wasn't gonna get the job done. Suddenly, Gonzo and Kennison came to life and started being able to do their jobs! Trent did much better, too... but they waited too late. I got that old foul taste of Martyball when the Chiefs opted for 3 points, down by so much... and though the QB fumble seems to be the game ender to me, I don't fault Green (given all the circumstances). He gave it a good old Montana-esque try... and he's still the man for the job in my book. Still, I hope that even when Priest is healthy again the Chiefs will start opening up the passing game. I think that they will finish out the season well, so long as they reserve the heavy running game approach for teams like Tampa Bay or The Ravens.

All in all, though they lost and Denver won... I'm still happy that the Chiefs gave me an interesting game to watch. I'd rather have them lose this one, to diagnose the offense early in the season, that to lose later when it really counts.

What say you?

Sportswax
10-31-2005, 04:14 PM
...Oh yeah, and lest I forget...

Dante Hall plays harder than anyone I saw playing Yesterday in ANY game. Hats off to him, and I hope the Chiefs will start to use him as a quick drop receiver more in the future. He's better at the run after the catch than just about anyone.

Redcoats58
10-31-2005, 04:17 PM
All in all, though they lost and Denver won... I'm still happy that the Chiefs gave me an interesting game to watch. I'd rather have them lose this one, to diagnose the offense early in the season, that to lose later when it really counts.

What say you?
Well we already knew they had problems that needed to be addressed so I would rather them not lose at all. Everyone here has felt a little iffy about the offense, another lose just put the explanation point on the end of the sentence.

Redcoats58
10-31-2005, 04:18 PM

Dante Hall plays harder than anyone I saw playing Yesterday in ANY game. Hats off to him, and I hope the Chiefs will start to use him as a quick drop receiver more in the future. He's better at the run after the catch than just about anyone.
I agree, Dante is nails. He was one of the reasons we even had a chance, over and over it felt like he was gonna bust one to swing momentum.

Dunit35
10-31-2005, 04:19 PM
Id have Hall run something like a 5 yard hook or a 15-20 yard slant across the middle. If he got a hold of the 5 yard pass and had a couple of steps to make a move, hes gone. The 15-20 yard slant would work great if the Safety had to cover a RB or TE and wasnt waiting on him.

Skip Towne
10-31-2005, 04:20 PM

Jerrod Allen plays as hard as anyone. And Dante is too small to use as a receiver. It will speed up his depature like it does to all small guys.

Sportswax
10-31-2005, 04:31 PM
Tell that to Barry Sanders and Emmit Smith. Hall is a receiver, I know... but he seems like he might even be a good running back sometimes. He's the most elusive player I've seen once he has a single step of running room. The little backward hop causes grief sometimes, but as his signature move it has done more good than harm for sure!!

JBucc
10-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Jerrod Allen plays as hard as anyone. And Dante is too small to use as a receiver. It will speed up his depature like it does to all small guys. It would be nice to see him go deep sometimes. Just give the CB a quick double move, fake inside and then quickly back out and he's 10 yards by him before you could blink. I think he'd be good as anyone at that.

Wallcrawler
10-31-2005, 04:36 PM
Tell that to Barry Sanders and Emmit Smith. Hall is a receiver, I know... but he seems like he might even be a good running back sometimes. He's the most elusive player I've seen once he has a single step of running room. The little backward hop causes grief sometimes, but as his signature move it has done more good than harm for sure!!

Dante came into the league as a running back, so its not like he's a stranger to the position. You just dont want him doing too much and wearing him down.

With the struggles of the offense, his killer abilities on special teams are needed even more now, to get the offense the best possible field position that he can.

Skip Towne
10-31-2005, 04:38 PM
I don't know which games you've been watching but Dante has done very little as a WR. Barry Sanders is in a class by himself and Smith is considerably bigger than Dante. Dante is 5'8" (and that is stretching it) and 180 lbs. Show me anybody besides Sanders that lasted more than a year or two as a position player. Eric Bienimy is the best I've seen and he was more of a returner. He lasted 5 or 6 years.

sedated
10-31-2005, 04:46 PM
He'll get killed running into LB's, and he isn't tall enough to get a bomb.

They use him perfectly, one of the few good decisions grandpa has made this year.

Skip Towne
10-31-2005, 05:21 PM
He'll get killed running into LB's, and he isn't tall enough to get a bomb.

They use him perfectly, one of the few good decisions grandpa has made this year.
Agreed. Did you see that shot Sproles took from Mitchell yesterday. I said in the game thread that he won't be able to take many more of those.

Skip Towne
10-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Dante came into the league as a running back, so its not like he's a stranger to the position. You just dont want him doing too much and wearing him down.

With the struggles of the offense, his killer abilities on special teams are needed even more now, to get the offense the best possible field position that he can.
Unless he was with someone before the Chiefs, he came into the league as a returner. It was between him and JJ somebody as to who got the job. He was a RB at aTm until he got kicked off the team.

philfree
10-31-2005, 05:29 PM

Dante scores on the one return of Stills blocks the kicker. Dante set him up perfectly for the block and Stills blew it. After the play Dante was yelling at Stills about. Hell I was yelling at Stills about it though I doubt he could here me from my basement in Springfield. He might have :)

PhilFree:arrow:

jidar
10-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Id have Hall run something like a 5 yard hook or a 15-20 yard slant across the middle.

Oh god no. He'd get blasted into orbit. He's tough as nails but against guys who have 50-80lbs on him he wouldn't last long.
I don't have to mention the John Lynch hit from last year, I'm sure...

philfree
10-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Id have Hall run something like a 5 yard hook or a 15-20 yard slant across the middle. If he got a hold of the 5 yard pass and had a couple of steps to make a move, hes gone. The 15-20 yard slant would work great if the Safety had to cover a RB or TE and wasnt waiting on him.

If it were me I'd have Bo in the game at WR alot more then I'd have
Dante in the game. Dante just doesn't open up the field like a 6'3"+ WR can. With Parker out Bo needs to be the #2 and Dante the #3. Of course it ain't gonna matter unless we start blocking people because Trent won't have the time to throw the ball and if things keep up Todd Collins will be our starter.

PhilFree:arrow: