PDA

View Full Version : DV press conference - some female journalist deserves some kudos

B_Ambuehl
11-01-2005, 02:39 PM
It's up over at kcchiefs.com

Some chick asked him a question. I don't know who the hell it was but was pretty funny.

reporter: Coach every week you say your defense is getting better but every week your pass defense appears to be getting worse. :)

DV: Sometimes it's the players you play against they're pretty good. For example the big tight end ate us up with 10 receptions. They beat us for touchdowns when we don't wrap up. Whatever it is it's not good enough.

ck_IN
11-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I love DV answers to these kinds of questions. He just can't bring himself to admit that his players are soft and can't play their positions. Saying they didn't wrap up is the closest I've heard him come to it.

sedated
11-01-2005, 04:04 PM
That's probably Ronda Moss from 610AM, she's a ruthless b!tch.

Seek
11-01-2005, 04:05 PM
It had to be Rhonda Moss. She is the only reporter in KC with the Balls (literally)to ask questions like that.

BigRedChief
11-01-2005, 04:13 PM
He is slick. Look at this exchange.

Q: Siavii is an ascending player then?
VERMEIL: “We hope he is. He shows signs of getting better, but 16 snaps is fewer than you would take in a training camp practice.”
Q: How’s Hicks as an inside guy?
VERMEIL: “He’s an outside defensive guy. You put in there in the nickel rushing the passer but not to play there all the time.”
Q: What are you going to do about Shawn Barber?
VERMEIL: “We could play it all the way out to the final day. We have until November 7.”
Q: Do you think putting Ryan Sims on IR might have been a better move since you could have then acquired another defensive player?
VERMEIL: “He was playing so well and had such a great training camp and was playing so well in pre-season games we just felt the best thing for the football team was to get him back as soon as we can. We’re not unique in doing that. All around the league there are people being carried. Derrick Blaylock is being carried on the 53-man roster after having his ankle operated on. You believe the guy can come back and make a contribution to winning before the end of the year and, hopefully, in the playoffs if you’re that good a team.”

sedated
11-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Grandpa MUST be fired or we won't make playoffs and we'll ruin another season.

MOhillbilly
11-01-2005, 04:24 PM
DV reminds me of nascar drivers after a win.
its like they are programed to rattle off ten sponcers before they get to the brand or car and team.

Pants
11-01-2005, 04:37 PM
I love DV answers to these kinds of questions. He just can't bring himself to admit that his players are soft and can't play their positions. Saying they didn't wrap up is the closest I've heard him come to it.

WTF do you want him to say? Publicly humiliate his players? That shit goes on behind the closed door. Seriously, some people still amaze me with their "expectations".

sedated
11-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Why doesn't he take the blame for not getting his players ready...with 2 extra days no less!!!

jspchief
11-01-2005, 04:51 PM
WTF do you want him to say? Publicly humiliate his players? That shit goes on behind the closed door. Seriously, some people still amaze me with their "expectations".The players already publicly humliated themselves with the performance they put on the field.

Do I expect him to come out and say "Player X and Player Y suck right now"? No.

But I don't see anything wrong with saying that things aren't getting done on the field. "our secondary has to get better", "guys are still getting out of position", "we aren't maintaining out zones", "the pass rush isn't consistent enough", etc, etc ,etc.

Instead, he comes into every press conference giving props to whoever just spanked us. There's never any accountability, or even admission that it was about our poor play rather than our opponent's good play.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm ready to see someone get thrown under the bus. This defense has sucked shit for 4+ years now. What could it hurt? It's not like he's going to wreck their psyche and make the D worse.

MOhillbilly
11-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Instead, he comes into every press conference giving props to whoever just spanked us. There's never any accountability, or even admission that it was about our poor play rather than our opponent's good play.

but supposedly DV and his staff work players in practice till theyre dead.
and when he called LJ out it seemed to set a fire in the right place.

blah-seems like DV is vanilla IMO.

Mr. Laz
11-01-2005, 05:08 PM
WTF do you want him to say? Publicly humiliate his players? That shit goes on behind the closed door. Seriously, some people still amaze me with their "expectations".
he's been doing it for years though...

if these players have been getting their asses kick behind close doors for 4 years then why are they still here?

Vermeil is in a freakin' daze ... i don't think he knows what to do.

he's like a boss that sits in his office all day long and only comes out when a big problem happens. He's so out of touch that all he can do is bitch because he has no clue about what is really going on.

philfree
11-01-2005, 05:13 PM
The players already publicly humliated themselves with the performance they put on the field.

Do I expect him to come out and say "Player X and Player Y suck right now"? No.

But I don't see anything wrong with saying that things aren't getting done on the field. "our secondary has to get better", "guys are still getting out of position", "we aren't maintaining out zones", "the pass rush isn't consistent enough", etc, etc ,etc.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm ready to see someone get thrown under the bus. This defense has sucked shit for 4+ years now. What could it hurt? It's not like he's going to wreck their psyche and make the D worse.

He did kinda.DV: Sometimes it's the players you play against they're pretty good. For example the big tight end ate us up with 10 receptions. They beat us for touchdowns when we don't wrap up. Whatever it is it's not good enough.

Everyone seems to miss stuff like that.......they just bitch because DV doesn't publicly call out his players. Right now I'd rather spend my day and internet time hating Ed Hoooooockuli. I find it to be much more fullfilling.

PhilFree:arrow:

Thig Lyfe
11-01-2005, 05:14 PM
everybody go to ESPN.com and vote "I disapprove of DV". I'm guessing the Chiefs FO pays a lot of attention to the polls.

jspchief
11-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Everyone seems to miss stuff like that.......they just bitch because DV doesn't publicly call out his players. Right now I'd rather spend my day and internet time hating Ed Hoooooockuli. I find it to be much more fullfilling.

PhilFree:arrow:I don't miss that stuff. I ignore it.

The team is playing like crap, and I'm venting. Vermeil and his consistent mediocrity is a perfect target. Until he gets better production out of this team, I'm going to question his tactics.

Extra Point
DV is trying to make a fine wine out of sour grapes..........

Mr. Laz
they just bitch because DV doesn't publicly call out his players.
not really...

i don't think anyone would care if he didn't called out anyone IF he held the players responsible and got the issue fixed.

but when he talks about how great Hicks and McCleon are and then keeps them in the starting lineup week after week it reflects rather poorly on his judgement ... which then leads to people being critical of his other comments and lack of "calling people out".

Extra Point
11-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Excuse me. That's fine whine.........

tommykat
11-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Well, they hammered the chit out of Coach.

I liked the fact they tried to make Priest the whole team....:rolleyes:

My observations,

1. Nice haircut Dick :)
2. I liked that shirt ;)
3. I WANT ONE OF THE BALL CAPS WORN SUNDAY!! They were cool. :thumb:

Calcountry
11-01-2005, 06:08 PM
It had to be Rhonda Moss. She is the only reporter in KC with the Balls (literally)to ask questions like that.Pssst. :Poke:She likes to peek at Jerod too.

Calcountry
11-01-2005, 06:10 PM
DV reminds me of nascar drivers after a win.
its like they are programed to rattle off ten sponcers before they get to the brand or car and team.DV reminds me of a perfectionist workaholic who needs to retire.

Saulbadguy
11-01-2005, 06:14 PM
The reality is none of the members of this board (save the players) know what goes on behind the locker room doors. You can say DV is "too soft" or "doesn't know what he is doing", but in reality none of you guys have a clue. ALL NFL Coaches have their way of talking to the media. Some will publicly berate players, some will not. Each and every one of the have their style, and you guys eat it up, hook line and sinker. Then you talk about the coaching staff and players like they don't even exist, like they aren't real people..but then get upset if they talk about the fans? Get real folks. You, and I, have no clue what goes on in the locker room.

CosmicPal
11-01-2005, 06:18 PM
You, and I, have no clue what goes on in the locker room.

They shower and change clothing?

DonJaun
11-01-2005, 06:32 PM
What ticks me off is how the Defence in my eyes has gotton better . But now the offence is worse. Why we have recievers that are at best 2nd string on any other team. The O-line hasnt been up to snuff this year. The Defence has made stops but when the offence keeps going 3 and out 6 and out. Man im ready to snap.

Calcountry
11-01-2005, 06:35 PM
DV is trying to make a fine wine out of sour grapes..........That comment would leave a mark on DV.

Simplex3
11-01-2005, 06:47 PM
The reality is none of the members of this board (save the players) know what goes on behind the locker room doors. You can say DV is "too soft" or "doesn't know what he is doing", but in reality none of you guys have a clue. ALL NFL Coaches have their way of talking to the media. Some will publicly berate players, some will not. Each and every one of the have their style, and you guys eat it up, hook line and sinker. Then you talk about the coaching staff and players like they don't even exist, like they aren't real people..but then get upset if they talk about the fans? Get real folks. You, and I, have no clue what goes on in the locker room.
I know this much: Whatever the f**k it is that he is doing isn't working. He's taken three defensive pro-bowlers and turned them into mediocre players.

FloridaMan88
11-01-2005, 07:03 PM
I can't believe not a single question about why the Chiefs played it so close to the vest and refused to pass the ball downfield in the first half.

B_Ambuehl
11-01-2005, 07:14 PM
I actually like Vermeil I just thought that was funny as hell. I'm still laughing about it right now.

There was something else kind've funny too. Someone asked Dick something along the lines of how he would attack his own defense offense and he replied, "you'd have to ask the opposing offensive coaches". The guy said "well your'e an offensive coach how would you attack your defense?" Dick said "I'd pass more".

kcfanXIII
11-01-2005, 09:27 PM
"whatever it is its not good enough"

could that explain the 4-3 record?