PDA

View Full Version : Regrets in Life

Mr. Kotter
11-02-2005, 10:36 AM
A response to one of Rainman's threads made me wonder....

What regrets do you have in life?

This could be interesting....and funny. Heh. :hmmm:

Mine? Quitting athletics in HS to work full-time; opting out of flight school as I was entering the Army; leaving Colorado Springs after I left the Army.

siberian khatru
11-02-2005, 10:38 AM
I should've killed all those kids who teased me in grade school. Since I would've been a minor at the time, I'd be out of jail by now, getting on with my life, and they'd be dead.

Kclee
11-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Opening this thread. :)

Don't have too many. What at first seems like a regret, with time isn't too bad.

ChiefsFan4Life
11-02-2005, 10:40 AM
I wish I would have played football in high school.

Mr. Kotter
11-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Opening this thread. :)

Don't have too many. What at first seems like a regret, with time isn't too bad.

Mine are not hand-wringing and gut-wrenching regret, but those three are moments that make me wonder how different life would have been.

Son of Logical
11-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Probably doing KFC delivery in my 67' mustang. I screwed my transmission to know end doing that damn job. I also was a total fat ass for awhile because of that job. Losing my virginity in drunken hook-up in college. Because of previous regret, not sleeping with all the cute cheerleaders that wanted me in highschool. "Oh, I have to wait till I get married." Finally, for not just getting right into my major, and screwing around with three other majors that took me know where, but a longer time in school.

Rain Man
11-02-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm certainly happy with my life right now, but I also think that there are a few things that could've turned my life even more positively.

In chronological order,

1. Should've pushed harder to play football in junior high and high school. My parents didn't want me to, and I gave up too easily.

2. Should've dated more in high school, and not committed to one gal in college.

3. I had an opportunity to spend a year overseas in college, and passed it up because, frankly, it was a big leap toward the horizons in many ways and it was very scary at the time. Should've done it.

4. Should've never sold that Dell stock. Biggest...mistake...ever. I sold a quarter-million dollars of stock for $4,000 and thought I was a genius for doubling my money.

5. Psycho ex-boss. I had a great opportunity to drop several nuclear bombs on him as I left behind his company and six digits of stolen bonus money, and didn't. Should've.

HemiEd
11-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Mine are not hand-wringing and gut-wrenching regret, but those three are moments that make me wonder how different life would have been.

You might have a new one, this is the 7th non-football thread on the front page, where is VailPass? :D

Otter
11-02-2005, 10:53 AM
We've all done stupid stuff that we wish we haven't had done when you're able to sit back and reflect upon and re-analyze the situation. This thread would go on forever if you wanted every one of those.

I wish I would have gone to a prestigious technical school now that I'm sure what I want to do for a living and I wish I would have used ROTC or OCS to pay for it.

Still eligable for OCS for another year and a half though.

Phobia
11-02-2005, 10:54 AM
I have no regrets, just a massive trail of mistakes in my wake.

ptlyon
11-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Mine? Quitting athletics in HS to work full-time; opting out of flight school as I was entering the Army; leaving Colorado Springs after I left the Army.

Nah, I bet yours is not sucking that boys balls a couple of years ago. ROFL

Area 51
Not finishing college when I was young enough to enjoy the time there.

It took 20 years of experience to get me to the wages I felt were adequate for the jobs I've done. Good news is that I'm now making above the national average for the work I do. Life could have been easier had I stayed the course and graduated when I had the opportunity.

I wouldn't trade all of my life experiences for more money, but making the choice then would have made a difference.

Otter
4. Should've never sold that Dell stock. Biggest...mistake...ever. I sold a quarter-million dollars of stock for $4,000 and thought I was a genius for doubling my money.
:banghead:

ROFL (you spelled genious wrong)

:banghead:

milkman
11-02-2005, 10:57 AM
I regret that I didn't blast Carl Peterson in the face with a shotgun 17 years ago.

Mr. Kotter
11-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Probably doing KFC delivery in my 67' mustang. I screwed my transmission to know end doing that damn job. I also was a total fat ass for awhile because of that job. Losing my virginity in drunken hook-up in college. Because of previous regret, not sleeping with all the cute cheerleaders that wanted me in highschool. "Oh, I have to wait till I get married." Finally, for not just getting right into my major, and screwing around with three other majors that took me know where, but a longer time in school.

Sounds pretty normal, from the stories my friends and I have swapped over the years. Welcome to the club.

Mr. Kotter
11-02-2005, 11:01 AM
I regret that I didn't blast Carl Peterson in the face with a shotgun 17 years ago.

Selfish bastard.

Probably just didn't want to go to jail. :harumph:

Brock
11-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Selling my 71 SS Chevelle in 1984 for 3,000 dollars.

Inspector
11-02-2005, 11:02 AM
I regret, each week, twice a week, not buying the correct damn powerball ticket.

I usually blame my wife though......

siberian khatru
11-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Selfish bastard.

Probably just didn't want to go to jail. :harumph:

Yeah, if ever there were a case of "taking one for the team ..."

milkman
11-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Yeah, if ever there were a case of "taking one for the team ..."

Sorry.

I'm not afraid of jail, per se.

It's the living with Traider fans for the rest of my life that I couldn't face.

Rain Man
11-02-2005, 11:07 AM
I kind of regret that Sidewinder never ran onto the field and disrupted pretty much any field goal attempt the Chiefs have ever made in the fourth quarter of a playoff game.

Andoverer
11-02-2005, 11:09 AM
I should have become a fairweather bandwagon fan of whatever football team is the hottest that particular season....New England last year, Indy this year, man that would be great....

Demonpenz
11-02-2005, 11:11 AM
i should've pulled out

The Rick
11-02-2005, 11:15 AM
When I was 18 and fresh out of high school, I moved to a city of 20,000 with my parents and started a new job at the local newspaper. There I met a hot 23-year-old and we began dating after a while. First time I ever dated someone who I considered "out of my league" and on top of that, she was 5 years older than me.

Anyway, I was young and dumb back then and soon broke off the relationship because I thought she was too old and too mature for me as things began to "heat up".

I don't regret the fact that a few years later I ended up meeting and eventually marrying my wife, but I do regret being such a puss at the time. :banghead:

milkman
11-02-2005, 11:15 AM
I kind of regret that Sidewinder never ran onto the field and disrupted pretty much any field goal attempt the Chiefs have ever made in the fourth quarter of a playoff game.

Huh???? :shrug:

Mr. Kotter
11-02-2005, 11:17 AM

Admit it; you were the streaker Bronco colors in section 123 who distracted Elliot.

:cuss:

milkman
i should've pulled out

As your dad should have! :p

Amnorix
The only significant regret I had was being a rotten kid to my parents for the first 15 years or so of my life. I was an out of control brat from hell. Nothing serious (no scrapes with the law or anything), but just a steady and unrelenting source of irritation and disrespect.

Luckily, I "turned out okay" as it were, but I still regret having caused them so much trouble for so long.

Other than that, nothing remotely significant.

Brock
11-02-2005, 11:23 AM
That I invaded Iraq.

Mr. Kotter
11-02-2005, 11:25 AM
That I invaded Iraq.

So YOU are the fugger! :cuss:

Rain Man
11-02-2005, 11:26 AM

Imagine that they had to replay Stenerud's field goal attempt on Christmas because some drunken milkman ran onto the field as the ball was snapped. All of history would be different today.

MichaelH
11-02-2005, 11:31 AM
My only regret is flunking out of a very good, small, private college from partying too much. I managed to finally graduate college, but after working my ass off and attending a state school. Looking back, it wasn't all that bad and I don't really regret it because I learned a lot along the way that couldn't be taught in a classroom. But there are times when I wonder what if....

chagrin
11-02-2005, 11:42 AM
I regret drug addiction - but I have rebounded nicely so the regret of what I lost won't live with me forever.

I regret not telling my mother how much I loved her, enough, before she died.

I regret moving to Michigan, from Colorado.

I regret not killing my wife's ex husband when I had the chance.

luv
11-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Being too shy in high school. I knew everyone and everyone knew me, but I never really belonged to any one clique. I had a few close friends that I ran around with. Was always shy around the guys too. Still that way today though.

Sully
11-02-2005, 11:47 AM
1) Not letting them switch me to O-Line in college.
2) Quitting the football team in college.
3) Spending 8 years wallowing in failure before going back to college.

Now I'm depressed.

Mr. Kotter
11-02-2005, 11:57 AM
1) Not letting them switch me to O-Line in college.
2) Quitting the football team in college.
3) Spending 8 years wallowing in failure before going back to college.

Now I'm depressed.

Drew Carey???

I didn't know you were a Chief's fan. :hmmm:

Pitt Gorilla
11-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Forgetting to pack my white shirt.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f0/Icy_hot_Stuntaz.jpg

Hammock Parties
11-02-2005, 01:15 PM
A hotel room in Fort Worth, one lonely night. WTF was I thinking?

Baby Lee
11-02-2005, 01:28 PM
1. Wish I had realized that the freshman 15 was gonna turn into the freshman 40, AND NEVER LEAVE. Would've taken all that free time I spent drinking Waukee's Best, and taken advantage of the free fitness facilities.
2. Should've gone with my head and went to Michigan Law School instead of WashU. Got a good education, but it doesn't have the cachet I thought it would, and Michigan was mega cheaper. But the fam wanted me within a reasonable travel distance, and my GF at the time lived in St. Louis, so I went with heart/crotch.

Eleazar
11-02-2005, 01:33 PM
Mine would be the "being a rotten kid for 15 or 18 years" like Amnorix said.

MOhillbilly
11-02-2005, 01:33 PM
should have gone to college for free why my dad was alive.
not because he would have paid for it but because as many hours as he taught i could have gone free.

Lurch
11-02-2005, 02:02 PM

Link?

Dunit35
11-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Not going that extra yard to play college football, I got screwed out of awards in high school and just ruined me enjoying playing football. God, I hated my head coach. All my other coaches voted me to get all conference honors my junior and senior years, but not the head coach, he didnt like me.

htismaqe
11-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Becoming a Chiefs fan...

luv
11-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Becoming a Chiefs fan...
You can always change that.

milkman
11-02-2005, 05:39 PM

What, you had to get a hotel room because you were afraid your mother would walk in on you and "Rosey".

CosmicPal
11-02-2005, 05:47 PM
We've done this before, and as I said on the other one: It's not something I'm proud of and it messed me up for a long time, but the night an old girlfriend of mine died in a car accident. She pleaded for me to drive her home and I declined 'cause I was afraid she'd use her drunkenness as a means to come onto me and try to get me back. We grew up in the same neighborhood and I actually thought of giving her a ride 'cause I could then walk home, but I said "No" and stayed behind at the party. A few moments later, she flipped her car on the rainslicked streets- and I was crushed...

SLAG
11-02-2005, 05:49 PM
im 21 so at this time my life is filled with young dumb mistakes but i dont have any MAJOR regrets at this point.

mike_b_284
11-02-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm with cochise, gave my parents hell until about 17. Other than that, no regrets -- only because I've learned from all my mistakes.

Lurch
11-02-2005, 06:19 PM
We've done this before, and as I said on the other one: It's not something I'm proud of and it messed me up for a long time, but the night an old girlfriend of mine died in a car accident. She pleaded for me to drive her home and I declined 'cause I was afraid she'd use her drunkenness as a means to come onto me and try to get me back. We grew up in the same neighborhood and I actually thought of giving her a ride 'cause I could then walk home, but I said "No" and stayed behind at the party. A few moments later, she flipped her car on the rainslicked streets- and I was crushed...

That sucks. Sorry, dude.

CosmicPal
11-02-2005, 06:28 PM
That sucks. Sorry, dude.

Thanks....it was years ago- just out of high school.

For a few years after that, I wouldn't let any friends drive home drunk- even if it meant giving them a bloody nose and/or black eye. Ironically, during this span, I couldn't control my own pain and had a couple of DUI's. I had a real problem then- I drank quite a bit and did a lot of drugs to compress the feelings. Had to take a short hiatus from college and everthing...it was terrible. But, one day you just get past it all and realize you're still alive and kicking and that you can make almost any bad situation good.

SLAG
11-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks....it was years ago- just out of high school.

For a few years after that, I wouldn't let any friends drive home drunk- even if it meant giving them a bloody nose and/or black eye. Ironically, during this span, I couldn't control my own pain and had a couple of DUI's. I had a real problem then- I drank quite a bit and did a lot of drugs to compress the feelings. Had to take a short hiatus from college and everthing...it was terrible. But, one day you just get past it all and realize you're still alive and kicking and that you can make almost any bad situation good.

not quite the same but my uncle told me a story one night about how he was coming home late at night and he saw this man yelling at his girl and they were fighting. he said he started to see that the man was getting physcial with his anger and taking it out on the female he decided to mind his own bees wax well it turned out the next day that dude had beat the girl to death so yeah that f'd with him id say cuz he could have stopped that girl easliy

4th and Long
11-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exception

I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
Oh, and more, much more than this
I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you know
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fails, my share of losing
And now as tears subside
I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way
Oh, no, no not me
I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got
If not himself, then he has not
To say the words he truly feels
And not the words he would reveal
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way
And did it myyyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

KChiefsQT
11-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exception

I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
Oh, and more, much more than this
I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you know
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fails, my share of losing
And now as tears subside
I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way
Oh, no, no not me
I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got
If not himself, then he has not
To say the words he truly feels
And not the words he would reveal
And did it my way
And did it myyyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

how poetic 4th... ya know that really touched me. :p

4th and Long
11-02-2005, 06:46 PM
how poetic 4th... ya know that really touched me. :p
C'mere. I'll touch touch you. Smarty pants. :p

KChiefsQT
11-02-2005, 06:47 PM
C'mere. I'll touch touch you. Smarty pants. :p

sicko!!!!!!!

4th and Long
11-02-2005, 06:47 PM
sicko!!!!!!!
Thank you, Captain Obvious. :p

CosmicPal
11-02-2005, 06:50 PM
not quite the same but my uncle told me a story one night about how he was coming home late at night and he saw this man yelling at his girl and they were fighting. he said he started to see that the man was getting physcial with his anger and taking it out on the female he decided to mind his own bees wax well it turned out the next day that dude had beat the girl to death so yeah that f'd with him id say cuz he could have stopped that girl easliy

Wow...in his case, he's probably lucky 'cause something could've happened to him. Who's to say the guy didn't have a weapon on him? He may not have needed it while beating her, but if your uncle came in to defend her- who's to know....

You know- in addition to only a couple of close friends here in Denver- you guys are the only ones who know. I never told my parents or my family that Lisa (not her real name) asked me to drive her home. Her parents never knew. My buddies never knew. Nobody at the party that night knew. I couldn't tell anyone. I immediately went from a nice suburban kid to someone really messed up. Even in rehab my parent's questioned Lisa's fatal accident as a factor, but I still couldn't tell them that she had asked me to drive her home. I honestly thought everyone would've been pissed at me if I had told them. So, I just kept it to myself.