PDA

View Full Version : The credit card that wouldn't quit

luv
11-02-2005, 02:51 PM
I recently applied and was approved for a personal loan. The representative told me that I would receive a credit card in the mail, and, if I didn't want it, I just had to cut it up and throw it away. I received said credit card, cut it up, and threw it away. I received a bill for said credit card yesterday. They had of course charged me the annual fee and was billing me for it. I called them today to tell them they would not be receiving said payment, because I never activated the card. The guy on the ohine told me that they charge the fee whenever you apply and get approved, and that it wasn't based on me activating the card or not. I informed him that I was not the one who filled out any application for said credit card. He checked and noticed that it had been submitted by the company I got my loan through. He went on to ask me why I didn't want the card. I told him I already have two, and did not want another one. He offered to cut the annual fee in half. No thank you. He even offered to up my credit limit! Geesh! I am supposed to be getting a statement of closure in the mail in 5-7 days. for an account I never even opened!!!

Okay...I feel better now. Just had to share that experience. It's off to work I go now.

Eleazar
11-02-2005, 02:53 PM
I would not advise you to refuse payment. If they send a black mark to your credit report you'll have a hell of a time getting it off in a dispute like this.

My guess is that the fine print on the personal loan probably specified this.

Area 51
11-02-2005, 02:55 PM
I recently applied and was approved for a personal loan. The representative told me that I would receive a credit card in the mail, and, if I didn't want it, I just had to cut it up and throw it away. I received said credit card, cut it up, and threw it away. I received a bill for said credit card yesterday. They had of course charged me the annual fee and was billing me for it. I called them today to tell them they would not be receiving said payment, because I never activated the card. The guy on the ohine told me that they charge the fee whenever you apply and get approved, and that it wasn't based on me activating the card or not. I informed him that I was not the one who filled out any application for said credit card. He checked and noticed that it had been submitted by the company I got my loan through. He went on to ask me why I didn't want the card. I told him I already have two, and did not want another one. He offered to cut the annual fee in half. No thank you. He even offered to up my credit limit! Geesh! I am supposed to be getting a statement of closure in the mail in 5-7 days. for an account I never even opened!!!

Okay...I feel better now. Just had to share that experience. It's off to work I go now.

I thought there were laws that protected people from gettting un-solicited credit cards.

I don't know if the cc company can mess up your credit for a card you never signed an application for or not. I'd find a good lawyer if they do and take down the cc company and the loan institution.

Seek
11-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Wells Fargo tried that on me last week.

I said, UH no, I don't want you sending me any card. He said, to cancel it just don't activate it. I said just don't send it. He asked why. I said because I don't want it. If I did I would have applied for it. He said you transfer your high interest rate cards to it. I said okay, which one do you want me to transfer to it, My debit banking card or the credit card that has a zero balance and is currently locked up in my safe to make sure it doe not get lost. I don't want the card. DONT send it.

KChiefsQT
11-02-2005, 03:00 PM
I thought there were laws that protected people from gettting un-solicited credit cards.

I don't know if the cc company can mess up your credit for a card you never signed an application for or not. I'd find a good lawyer if they do and take down the cc company and the loan institution.

hmm... lawyers are overrated. She's gonna hire a lawyer and spend shitloads of money on one...??
I would call the company you got the loan from, better yet go in there and get it all cleared up.

ptlyon
11-02-2005, 03:00 PM

I said, UH no, I don't want you sending me any card. He said, to cancel it just don't activate it. I said just don't send it. He asked why. I said because I don't want it. If I did I would have applied for it. He said you transfer your high interest rate cards to it. I said okay, which one do you want me to transfer to it, My debit banking card or the credit card that has a zero balance and is currently locked up in my safe to make sure it doe not get lost. I don't want the card. DONT send it.

So how did you like your new card?

Was it flashy? Have your pic on it? Hmmm? Pretty color?

KChiefsQT
11-02-2005, 03:01 PM

so... did they send it?

Seek

It is because there is a already an account opened through them.

If you have a mortgage through a company who owns a credit card company, they can solicit to you, because you are already a customer.

If you have any accounts open with any creditor even if it is unactive, they are not bound to the No Calls listing. Also, Non-Profit organizations are not bound tot he No Call listing as well.

ptlyon
so... did they send it?

he's got it in his pocket

Area 51
11-02-2005, 03:03 PM
hmm... lawyers are overrated. She's gonna hire a lawyer and spend shitloads of money on one...??
I would call the company you got the loan from, better yet go in there and get it all cleared up.

The lawyer should come only after the cc company has dinged your credit rating with a black mark. There are plenty of lawyers that would go after someone like that for a healthy percentage. Win win for luv2write.

Area 51
11-02-2005, 03:04 PM

If you have a mortgage through a company who owns a credit card company, they can solicit to you, because you are already a customer.

If you have any accounts open with any creditor even if it is unactive, they are not bound to the No Calls listing. Also, Non-Profit organizations are not bound tot he No Call listing as well.

I don't think they can unilaterally give you a card without an application and a signature.

Area 51
11-02-2005, 03:05 PM
hmm... lawyers are overrated.

I know what you mean. 99% of the lawyers in this country makes the rest of them look bad!!

Seek
11-02-2005, 03:05 PM
so... did they send it?

I don' know, it was just last week and it they wouldn't have time to process it through them mail to reached my home yet.

They better not have. He didn't tell me that our conversation was going to be recorded either.

My freakin Mortgage company calls once a month asking for us to take a home equity loan. Their are just pissed that they have them at such a low rate for 30 years.

Seek
11-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I don't think they can unilaterally give you a card without an application and a signature.

They can't that is why they are calling to let you know they are sending you one.

Andoverer
11-02-2005, 03:12 PM

:banghead: :cuss:

What goobers

Extra Point
11-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Write the loan officer and inform him that you're refusing the card, you're not going to pay any fee for having "had it," and that they will send you a letter indicating that they are cancelling the issuance of the credit card. The letter you will send will be marked "cc: Better Business Bureau, sent registered mail, with a copy sent to the BBB.

Let THEM have some fun!

Calcountry
11-02-2005, 04:00 PM

If you have any accounts open with any creditor even if it is unactive, they are not bound to the No Calls listing. Also, Non-Profit organizations are not bound tot he No Call listing as well.Here is your dodge whenever the loyal police bretherin are having a fundraiser for the "children". When the caller lays the trip on you about "the kids" and don't you want to help the kids?", resond with, "Sounds like a great cause, are you being paid a salary to collect donations?". If they respond in the affirmative, say, how come you aren't donating your time to such a worthy cause? If they haven't hung up by now, simply say, if you don't think it is good enough to donate your time, then why should I donate my money?

KChiefsQT
11-02-2005, 04:13 PM
They can't that is why they are calling to let you know they are sending you one.

ohh isn't that sweet of you. Giving me a credit card under your name. . . boy you're sure gonna hate me when that bill comes next month.

luv
11-03-2005, 01:19 AM

If it was stated in the fine print, though, and I signed the contract with the loan company, then wouldn't that signature be valid for the credit card application as well. I went by the word of the loan afficer. He said they would send it, I thought he meant an application, not the actual card. If I have to pay the $59 to keep a black mark off my credit, then I will. It was my fault, after all, for taking the officer's word and not directly reading the entire contract before signing.

Valuable lesson learned - $59.

greg63
11-03-2005, 01:55 AM

My standard response to this kind of high pressure sales tactic goes like this: Click - buuuuuuzzzzzz. :)

greg63
11-03-2005, 01:56 AM
If it was stated in the fine print, though, and I signed the contract with the loan company, then wouldn't that signature be valid for the credit card application as well. I went by the word of the loan afficer. He said they would send it, I thought he meant an application, not the actual card. If I have to pay the $59 to keep a black mark off my credit, then I will. It was my fault, after all, for taking the officer's word and not directly reading the entire contract before signing.

Valuable lesson learned - $59.

Ouch!

luv
11-03-2005, 01:56 AM
My standard response to this kind of high pressure sales tactic goes like this: Click - buuuuuuzzzzzz. :)
I called him.

greg63
11-03-2005, 01:59 AM
I called him.

Yea I know, but you didn't ask for a sales pitch. I was just commenting on the sales tactic. I hate it when they do that.

luv
11-03-2005, 02:03 AM
Yea I know, but you didn't ask for a sales pitch. I was just commenting on the sales tactic. I hate it when they do that.
Yeah, my standard response when they call is to hang up. I had to sit through the two or three different no's today to have him tell me they would send me the letter of closure.

greg63
11-03-2005, 02:06 AM
Yeah, my standard response when they call is to hang up. I had to sit through the two or three different no's today to have him tell me they would send me the letter of closure.

Oh, ok. That is the pitts.

Seek
11-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Here is your dodge whenever the loyal police bretherin are having a fundraiser for the "children". When the caller lays the trip on you about "the kids" and don't you want to help the kids?", resond with, "Sounds like a great cause, are you being paid a salary to collect donations?". If they respond in the affirmative, say, how come you aren't donating your time to such a worthy cause? If they haven't hung up by now, simply say, if you don't think it is good enough to donate your time, then why should I donate my money?

I am scared to tell the COPS NO. If I was to say something like that to them, the will start stalking me and give me a ticket every time I speed, swurve, not use a blinker, etc.

greg63
11-03-2005, 08:34 AM
I am scared to tell the COPS NO. If I was to say something like that to them, the will start stalking me and give me a ticket every time I speed, swurve, not use a blinker, etc.

ROFLROFLROFL
...For some reason they tend to take a dim view of moving violations.

Seek
11-03-2005, 08:54 AM
ROFLROFLROFL
...For some reason they tend to take a dim view of moving violations.

Or I am afraid I would call up one night. Uh 911 someone is in out house right now tearing up the place. Uh yeah, well we have currently used all of our officers for break-ins this year, call back next year when we will be ready to donate more officers to your cause.

Mike in SW-MO
11-03-2005, 11:46 AM
I used to live in Omaha and donated to the police in a moment of feeling flush with cash.

They called back the following year and I was cash strapped and politely declined. At which point the caller bacame abusive and offensive. The funny thing is, if they had politely thanked me for donating the previous year and said goodbye, I'd likely have donated the following year.

Since then, I have instituted a policy of refusing to donate to any and all telephone solicitors. Organizations that I actively support I will refuse over the telephone and invite them to send me a written request. When they tell me they can only do that if I promise to send it back with money, then I tell them not to send anything.

I do not do business with telephone solicitors.