View Full Version : Top free agents for 2006

Hammock Parties
11-03-2005, 10:56 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5050462

Giving up on 2005? Here are your guys
Story Tools: Print Email XML
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 hour ago

The season has hit its halfway point and as stated in this space last week, this is the time when teams truly begin to see if there is hope for this year. For those whose hope is quickly waning, we have answers — answers in the form of help who could be on the way in 2006.

Even for teams on the rise, unrestricted free agency has turned the NFL into a 52-week business. Forget baseball's hot stove, the NFL's free agency and draft has turned the off-season into a feeding frenzy.
For those looking for anyone who can be of service in a year, FOXSports.com delivers the best unrestricted free agents slated to hit the open market after this season. We first give the top 10 unrestricted free agents, then break it down by position.

Remember though, this list will be greatly altered by the time March rolls around. Some names will be either re-signed or hit with the dreaded Franchise tag while other players will join the ranks thanks to voids in their deals and salary cap cuts.

The top 10
Colts RB Edgerrin James — MVP of the first half of this season. How much of that is his desire to get paid? Probably not much, as he's always played with solid consistency. He's an annual Pro Bowl threat.

Jets DE John Abraham — Can play DE in a 4-3 or LB in a 3-4 scheme. Abraham is one of the league's best pass rushers, always a premium.

Chargers QB Drew Brees — Best player at the team's most important position. In another year he probably wouldn't rate this high but teams looking for a veteran QB don't really have any other options.

Saints OG LeCharles Bentley — This guy is a complete beast and has shown great versatility by starring at center and guard. He's also got that great mean streak that the great offensive linemen possess.

If the Seahawks and Shaun Alexander can't hammer a deal out, there will be plenty of interest in the back. (Otto Greule Jr. / Getty Images)

Seattle RB Shaun Alexander — Seattle has had serious talks recently with Alexander and even exchanged contract proposals. Positive: Alexander is the best red-zone back in the NFL. Negative: Shows little interest in blocking and receiving.

49ers' LB Julian Peterson — Doubtful the Niners let him get away again but he, like Abraham, has shown great versatility.

Seahawks' G Steve Hutchinson — The second-best lineman on the open market. He's a true Pro Bowl player a solid team guy.

Ravens RB Jamal Lewis — Lewis has struggled this year. Still, he may end up being the most enticing option. Most of his problems this year were due to his lack of rehab time and work due to incarceration and a putrid offensive line. Put this tank on another team and he's back to Pro Bowl form.

Eagles RB Brian Westbrook — Westbrook and the Eagles have been in very serious contract talks recently, but if they can't get something done, he'll have a decent market in a crowded class.

Patriots K Adam Vinatieri — Mariano Rivera of the NFL.

UFAs by position

Offense
RBs — This is the deepest position in free agency, even with two of the top five in serious contract talks right now. The RB group is highlighted by Colts' Edgerrin James, Seattle's Shaun Alexander, Baltimore's Jamal Lewis, Philly's Brian Westbrook and Green Bay's Ahman Green. Carolina's DeShaun Foster has had durability concerns but should get some love on the open market as well. Green's stock will take a hit with his latest injury.

QBs — This is an abysmal group. One man and one man only will hit like he's nailed the triple Tabasco sauce in a Vegas progressive slot and that's the Bolts' Drew Brees. One way or the other he'll get a massive payday in 2006. The Bengals' Jon Kitna may be the best option in this group after Brees. After Brees and Kitna it drops down to the Cards' Josh McCown, who has actually lost his job to Kurt Warner. After McCown comes the Panthers' Chris Weinke and Lions' Jeff Garcia. Jamie Martin and Anthony Wright round out a poor list.

WR — Looking for a top-flight burner? Better look in the draft. Pitt's Antwan Randle-El is tops on another weak list. Indy's Reggie Wayne and New England's David Givens round out the top three. After this trio, however, we get into guys who have already been castoff elsewhere, like Joe Jurevicius (who may be a nice pickup for a team with a burner on one side) and then, well, the list really goes south (i.e. Peter Warrick, Rod Gardner).

TE — Not a bad group but nothing that would dazzle anyone either. The Cowboys' Dan Campbell is a great team guy and does the little things that often go unnoticed. The Jets' Chris Baker is a solid receiver and New England's Christian Fuaria is a legitimate red-zone target. Pittsburgh's Jerame Tuman, San Diego's Justin Peele and Matt Schobel of the Bengals round out a pretty good group.

C — This is highlighted by the Saints' Pro Bowler LeCharles Bentley. The Packers' Mike Flanagan is a proven, solid vet who recently had a sports hernia surgery. He's not a star like Bentley but he's an upgrade to many rosters and great with the QB. Carolina's Jeff Mitchell and Miami's Seth McKinney, Justin Hartwick of Tennessee and Buffalo's Trey Teague finish the list.

OT — The Lions' Jeff Backus, Falcons' athletic tackle Kevin Shaffer and New England's Tom Ashworth and Jon Runyan of the Eagles highlight this group. Backus is clearly the cream of this crop. Runyan is 33 years old and won't get paid like in the past. Then it drops down to a guy like Green Bay backup Kevin Barry, a massive body who is used as the team's third tackle and the Jags' Mike Pearson.

OG — One name stands out and that's Steve Hutchinson of the Seahawks. After the strong former first-round pick comes guys like the Pats' Steve Neal and the Bears' Terrance Metcalf. Neal isn't bad but Metcalf isn't exactly what one would call the athletic type. Ouch, rough group.

Defense
DE — This position is much, much deeper than the interior linemen who are free. The Jets' John Abraham leads the list followed by New Orleans' Darren Howard. Both were hit with the franchise tag last year. The Colts' Raheem Brock also helps to round out a pretty clear top three. Green Bay's rough, workmanlike and underrated Aaron Kampman as well as the solid Anthony Weaver of Baltimore comprise the next level. A wild card in this bunch is Tennessee's Kyle Vanden Bosch. When healthy his gas tank is always full. But teams will always be concerned with his injury history.

DT — Very bad group. There is no A-list name at this position. List is highlighted (although this is probably not the proper word) by guys like the Colts' Larry Triplett, the Rams' Ryan Pickett and Damione Lewis, rejuvenated Buc Chris Hovan and Packers' mammoth Grady Jackson. Lional Dalton of the Ravens rounds out the list.

OLB — The 49ers' Julian Peterson has rebounded well from his Achilles' injury and it's doubtful they'll let him bolt but he leads this group. The Panthers' Will Witherspoon isn't a huge name but he's a very good player. The Colts' David Thornton and Chargers' Ben Leber are also thrown into the mix. The Giants' Nick Griesen is a guy who can play inside and outside and in his first year as a full-time starter has helped the first-place Giants D.

ILB — Worst group on the board. Earl Holmes of Detroit, the Browns' Andre Davis and Niner Derek Smith lead the way.

CB — The Bills' Nate Clements is a bona-fide No. 1 corner as is Charles Woodson but he's hurt, which will surely hurt his stock.. The Giants' Will Allen and Bears' Jerry Azumah are next. 'Zum is also a Pro Bowl special teams player and when healthy he's a true threat to make a play. The Broncos have pretty much already parted ways with Lenny Walls, who should cash in considering his size. More third corners on this list than No. 1s.

S — This is a pretty decent group highlighted by the likes of Tank Williams of the Titans, the Rams' Adam Archuleta and Steelers' Chris Hope. Corey Chavous of the Vikings is also a solid player; he's followed by the Ravens' Will Demps and Fins' Lance Schulters.

K — Adam Vinatieri, one of the greatest closers in sports history, Neil Rackers and Mike Vanderjagt highlight this group.

Hammock Parties
11-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Interesting read. Maybe the Chiefs could make a run at LeCharles Bentley to shore up the O-line.

McCown and Brees are interesting at QB, though I doubt Brees is going anywhere.

I want Reggie Wayne or David Givens in KC desperately.

Halfcan
11-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Nice thread Go Chiefs, its never too early to look ahead.

RealSNR
11-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Maybe the Ravens will let us bring in Lional Dalton for a look

chief99
11-03-2005, 11:24 PM
I want impact players from the draft.

Free agency is too expensive and with older diminished players.

Why the hell did we draft the Black ?

Dunit35
11-03-2005, 11:24 PM

I hope they do, Lord a guy should know where players play before he can write a story.

philfree
11-03-2005, 11:44 PM
From the looks of things we'll need to sign a FA LT to replace Roaf after that we'll have to turn to the draft for players. Hopefully a stud DT, FS or CB will be there for us. We need to try and stick to the best player approach though. We could use upgrades at about any position. If we were to change to a 3-4 full time a super stud tweener DE/LB like Merriman would be good too. Offensively WR and O line are the obvious needs.

PhilFree:arrow:

Simplex3
11-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Interesting read. Maybe the Chiefs could make a run at LeCharles Bentley to shore up the O-line.

McCown and Brees are interesting at QB, though I doubt Brees is going anywhere.

I want Reggie Wayne or David Givens in KC desperately.
Bring in more #2 receivers hoping to make them a #1?

Hammock Parties
11-03-2005, 11:47 PM

I don't buy into the hype of a #1 receiver.

Both of these guys run good routes, get open, and have good hands. We're going to need some experienced WRs soon because Kennison ain't long for this league.

RealSNR
11-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Bring in more #2 receivers hoping to make them a #1?Wayne is a damn fine receiver

ChiefsCountry
11-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Wayne and Kevin Schaffer from Atlanta would be my wish list.

alanm
11-04-2005, 12:40 AM
I didn't know Lional Dalton was moonlighting for the Ravens?

Tribal Warfare
11-04-2005, 12:47 AM
Bentley or Hutchinson shoud be the number one priority in the FA market

Spicy McHaggis
11-04-2005, 01:15 AM
Why the hell did we draft the Black ?

Because he was a freaking fifth rounder. Its not like we spent a first rounder on the guy. A more appropriate question is why the hell did we draft Jr.?

beer bacon
11-04-2005, 01:19 AM
We should pick up Chris Hope.

chop
11-04-2005, 06:33 AM
I hope they do, Lord a guy should know where players play before he can write a story.

No doubt. It's pretty sad since the guy has played for three different teams since he leaving the Ravens?

the Talking Can
11-04-2005, 06:37 AM
only long term success in the draft is going to solve our problems...

though a shiny new DT and RT would be nice..and a WR..and a DE...and a OG...and a QBOTF... and a CB...can we afford that?

HemiEd
11-04-2005, 06:45 AM

That what I was thinking, I did not know there was two of them.

Mecca
11-04-2005, 07:37 AM
From the looks of things we'll need to sign a FA LT to replace Roaf after that we'll have to turn to the draft for players. Hopefully a stud DT, FS or CB will be there for us. We need to try and stick to the best player approach though. We could use upgrades at about any position. If we were to change to a 3-4 full time a super stud tweener DE/LB like Merriman would be good too. Offensively WR and O line are the obvious needs.

PhilFree:arrow:

Actually, it's probably better to draft the left tackle. It's a very deep position in this years draft.

RedThat
11-04-2005, 08:05 AM
I say we go for Aaron Kampman. Very very underrated. Has a high motor like Jared Allen. Plays hard every snap, never quits, and always in on every play. He'll turn Eric Hicks inside out. More importantly, he wont cost as much, will come at a reasonable price. I would love to have John Abraham but I dont see the Jets letting him go. They'll slap the franchise tag on him.

Another guy we should defintelty consider is WR David Givens. Easily hes one of the better #2 WRs out there, and thats what we need.

Hoover
11-04-2005, 08:13 AM
I think we are fine at G and C, we need a LT and RT after this years. I think Welbourn is fin at G.

GoTrav
11-04-2005, 08:39 AM

was thinking the same thing. I'm really not intersted in either of those guys.

chagrin
11-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Aren't we descending into salary cap hell next year, meaning we won't be able to pick anyone up worth a damn?

Who's got the figures?

unlurking
11-04-2005, 08:56 AM
I think we are fine at G and C, we need a LT and RT after this years. I think Welbourn is fin at G.
I'd have to agree. Too bad FA looks pretty weak at OT.

BTW, whatever happened to Sampson?

jspchief
11-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Aren't we descending into salary cap hell next year, meaning we won't be able to pick anyone up worth a damn?

Who's got the figures?I think the retirement of a few players would quickly leviate any cap problems we have, not to mention it will be more cap freindly to cut some guys next year.

I still don't expect much activity in FA though. This team has never been one to go out and spend money on a yearly basis. We may try to fill some holes, but I don't expect them to be top tier FAs.

Brock
11-04-2005, 09:44 AM

I think Welbourne needs steroids to compete.

royr17
11-04-2005, 10:35 AM
I would just love to have Reggie Wayne starting opposite of Eddie Kennison.

But I seriously doubt the Colts are goin to let him go.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2005, 10:35 AM
I would just love to have Reggie Wayne starting opposite of Eddie Kennison.

But I seriously doubt the Colts are goin to let him go.

He's as good as gone, with James being a free agent as well.

royr17
11-04-2005, 10:47 AM
He's as good as gone, with James being a free agent as well.

What makes you think he'll be gone.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2005, 10:47 AM
What makes you think he'll be gone.

The Colts won't be able to afford him.

royr17
11-04-2005, 10:52 AM
The Colts won't be able to afford him.

Besides the chiefs wont bring him in cause he dont fit the system.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Besides the chiefs wont bring him in cause he dont fit the system.

No one has any idea what system KC is going to run next year.

royr17
11-04-2005, 11:48 AM
I want Reggie Wayne, Steve Hutchinson, Nate Clements and Tank Williams.

jspchief
11-04-2005, 11:53 AM
I want Reggie Wayne, Steve Hutchinson, Nate Clements and Tank Williams.You're in for a disappointing Christmas.

Tribal Warfare
11-04-2005, 11:58 AM

Welbourne i9s a very average OL, Hutchinson or Bentley will bring a great mean streak to the KC OL. Plus, competition breeds quality.

sedated
11-04-2005, 12:08 PM
DE Abraham and LT Backus, then draft another O-lineman in first 3 rounds.