PDA

View Full Version : Green might not start?

Andoverer
11-04-2005, 05:42 AM
As the Chiefs finished another practice without Trent Green on Thursday, coach Dick Vermeil floated the possibility that his veteran quarterback might not start Sunday against the Raiders.

“I just want to see how he feels,” Vermeil said, “and I think go from there.”

Green has started 71 straight games, a franchise record for quarterbacks, and played his best 30 minutes of the season last Sunday in San Diego just days after his father’s death. He buried his dad Wednesday in St. Louis and then called Thursday morning to say he couldn’t make the afternoon workout.

Longtime backup Todd Collins filled in for Green again and had what Vermeil called an “excellent” practice. Asked whether Collins would start Sunday, Vermeil said, “I’m not going to say.”

The issue, apparently, isn’t just about missed repetitions. Green has worked in Vermeil’s offense since their days in St. Louis, and the playbook hasn’t expanded in his two-day absence.

Vermeil just wants to make sure his quarterback is OK and said he’d know more after Green arrived in town Thursday night and practiced today.

“I know Trent Green well enough to know that he only wants what’s best for this football team regardless of starting streaks or anything else,” Vermeil said. “If he didn’t think he could play well not having practiced and being through the emotional pressure he’s been through, he would say.

“He’s our leader, we expect a lot from him, and he very seldom ever disappoints us. But before we do any decision-making or detailed evaluation of the situation, I’d like him involved with it.”

Collins hasn’t started a game since 1997, when he was under center in Buffalo. He’s backed up Green for five seasons and had a chance to shed his clipboard duty in training camp when Green was nursing a sore shoulder. But he broke his hand in the preseason opener at Minnesota, and has yet to get in a game in 2005.

“Todd’s a good football player,” Vermeil said. “He really is. He has never really been given the opportunity to demonstrate what he can do. I’ve recommended him to other teams looking for a starting quarterback since I’ve been here but no one really wants to believe you when you tell them.”

The Chiefs were listed as 5 1/2-point favorites over Oakland this week, but that could change after Thursday’s news of Green’s iffy status and Willie Roaf’s nagging hamstring. Roaf, a Pro Bowl left tackle, missed practice again Thursday and was downgraded from probable to questionable.

Three other starters were also out Thursday: cornerback Patrick Surtain (knee), running back Priest Holmes (head) and receiver Samie Parker (knee). The injury situation was so bad that Vermeil scrapped the pads, a Thursday staple, and worked the team out in shells.

“I’m not going to sit and pout about it,” Vermeil said. “I’d love to have everybody 100 percent healthy but, hey, the Raiders are coming in with some guys who were starters who don’t start anymore due to injuries, too. That’s the National Football League. It’s a high-risk business, and guys get hurt.”

MichaelH
11-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Trent will start. I don't know why DV pulls this crap:shake:

tomahawk kid
11-04-2005, 06:42 AM

Me either. Stuff like this is one of the bigger reasons I won't cry when DV is gone.

Wednesday, it looked like everyone was going to play. As of yesterday, it sounds like we'll be lucky to be able to field a full squad.

One extreme to the other........ :banghead:

OldTownChief
11-04-2005, 06:43 AM

Old Senile Drama Queen.

HemiEd
11-04-2005, 06:49 AM
Old Senile Drama Queen.

Hey it is Raider week, why not f**k with Norv Turner? :shrug:

OldTownChief
11-04-2005, 06:57 AM
Hey it is Raider week, why not f**k with Norv Turner? :shrug:

I hope thats what he's doing. :(

HemiEd
11-04-2005, 07:05 AM
I hope thats what he's doing. :(

Well I look at like this: If Trent played last week right after his Fathers passing, why would he not play a week later? It has to be tough for sure, but I think he will play.

PastorMikH
11-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Green at 50% physically or emotionally is about = to Todd at 100%.

There's a reason why other teams aren't listening to DV when he suggests Collins as a potential starter.

I'll side with those though that are saying this is just to keep Norv guessing.

4th and Long
11-04-2005, 07:21 AM
Green at 50% physically or emotionally is about = to Todd at 100%.

There's a reason why other teams aren't listening to DV when he suggests Collins as a potential starter.

I'll side with those though that are saying this is just to keep Norv guessing.
:cuss: KEEP DOUBTING TODD COLL ... Oh who am I kidding?

Hammock Parties
11-04-2005, 07:23 AM
I've always been curious as to how Todd would do if he was thrust into the starting role one week.

It would be great if the Chiefs clinched their berth by Week 17 and we could afford to let Todd start the game.

Eleazar
11-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Come on everbody, DV's going to ask Green if he's ready to go, and what do you expect him to say? "Nah, coach, I think I'd rather hold the clipboard today"

PastorMikH
11-04-2005, 07:35 AM
:cuss: KEEP DOUBTING TODD COLL ... Oh who am I kidding?

ROFL ROFL

BTW, Happy Birthday!

King_Chief_Fan
11-04-2005, 07:41 AM
It won't matter if Green starts or not.
Surtain, Priest and Roaf possibly out....superman couldn't QB this team with that talent out.

tomahawk kid
11-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Surtain, Priest and Roaf possibly out....superman couldn't QB this team with that talent out.

I'll be shocked if ALL 3 of those guys are out.

Mecca
11-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Surtain and Roaf would be more important than Holmes. This team showed last year it can win games with Larry being the feature back.

BigRedChief
11-04-2005, 08:11 AM
The Raiders run D sucks bad. If its a no go for any two of these 4 (Green, Roaf, Holmes or Surtain) we should break out some old fashioned Martyball and keep Moss on the sidelines. Trent out of the pocket or Collins from throwing the ball.

Inspector
11-04-2005, 08:11 AM
Surtain being out wouldn't surprise me.

I'm betting the Green and Roaf talk is just to mess with raiders coaches.

Now the raiders at least have to consider the differences without really knowing for sure if they will play or not.

Sounds like something the Broncos would do.....

Extra Point
11-04-2005, 08:12 AM
“He has never really been given the opportunity to demonstrate what he can do. I’ve recommended him to other teams looking for a starting quarterback since I’ve been here but no one really wants to believe you when you tell them.”

Based on our offensive scheme, I can see why.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2005, 08:16 AM
The Raiders run D sucks bad.

It's actually pretty good. Their pass D sucks, though.

HemiEd
11-04-2005, 08:19 AM

I think this is more their style:

royr17
11-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Surtain will play.

Roaf will be a gametime decision. Will know if Holmes will play or not tonight.

And I do believe Green will play but I wouldnt mind seein Collins startin and end up with a starting QB job next season.

wolfpack0735
11-04-2005, 08:40 AM
surtain not playing will mean the faiders will pass for 500 yards not the usual 400 everyone pass`s against us. if roaf dosnt play at least 85%, sit him out. he looked bad last week.

ChiefsFan4Life
11-04-2005, 08:46 AM
I wouldnt mind seein Collins startin and end up with a starting QB job next season.

I'm kind of new to the boards, so please tell me I am just missing your sarcasm.

Eleazar
11-04-2005, 08:55 AM
I wouldnt mind seein Collins startin and end up with a starting QB job next season.

27 attempts in 8 years = proven starting QB talent!

DAMNIT VERMEIL! :cuss:

BigRedChief
11-04-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm kind of new to the boards, so please tell me I am just missing your sarcasm.

:shake: that is so wrong on so many different levels where do I start?????

Collins as our starter? :deevee: My as well committ Hari-Kari

Lipschitz
11-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Trent will start. I don't know why DV pulls this crap

Old Senile Drama Queen.

Surtain being out wouldn't surprise me.

I'm betting the Green and Roaf talk is just to mess with raiders coaches.

Now the raiders at least have to consider the differences without really knowing for sure if they will play or not.

and on and on and on

DV has his guys frequent this board and what they do is have him say things that will keep you all stirred up.

Looks like it is working!!!

ChiefsFan4Life
11-04-2005, 09:15 AM
:shake: that is so wrong on so many different levels where do I start?????

Collins as our starter? :deevee: My as well committ Hari-Kari

Exactly. That's why I'm HOPING he was being sarcastic w/ his comment or else I am worried for him.

siberian khatru
11-04-2005, 09:20 AM
The only way Trent doesn't start is if he goes to DV and says he can't do it. And I can't see Trent doing that. He's too tough and too much of a leader.

If DV refused to start Trent simply because he missed practice, he should be fired on the spot. But I seriously doubt DV would do that, either.

I side with the "drama queen" option. Much ado about nothing.

ck_IN
11-04-2005, 09:35 AM
<i>Now the raiders at least have to consider the differences without really knowing for sure if they will play or not.</i>

Does it really matter that much? Our offense will run the same plays regardless. The only difference might be whether they'd have to face Roaf. From what I saw last week that's not that big of a deal either.

Chief Henry
11-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Who is Todd Collins

kcblue555
11-04-2005, 09:57 AM
If Trent's not injured he will start. Dick using the old we're the underdog-a wounded animal fights harder ploy.

4th and Long
11-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Here's an idea. Let's just over-analyze this to death, shall we?

Mr. Laz
11-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Gooooooooooooooooooooo Todd!!

PBJ

Lipschitz
11-04-2005, 12:31 PM
If Trent's not injured he will start. Dick using the old we're the underdog-a wounded animal fights harder ploy.Last I saw the Chiefs were favored.

Nov. 6Oakland10 a.m. at Kansas City

Favorite
...............................................KC ...........KC ......KC .......KC
Point spreadTotal .....................51˝o/u ....52o/u... 52o/u ...51˝o/u
Total money line ....................-110........... -110...... -110 .....-110

http://www.vegas.com/gaming/

Rain Man
11-04-2005, 12:34 PM
It's about time for the Collins-Johnson-Horn triplets era to begin.

BigRedChief
11-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Q&A WITH COACH VERMEIL

Nov 04, 2005, 2:27:32 PM

Trent Green was back today and you said you wanted to talk to him about how he felt before saying he’d play. How’s he checking out?

VERMEIL: “He’s great. He wants to play. I trust him because I know how unselfish he is and if he didn’t think he could step in and run our game plan then he would tell me. As you saw on the practice field today, he’s very sharp and he knows what he’s doing. He’s been in the offense for a long time and we don’t change that much, although people think we do. We change the formations and movements and schemes but the core of the offense is the core of the offense and no one executes it any better than he does. His arm was fresh and alive today and he threw the ball accurately so we’ll go with Trent Green.”