PDA

View Full Version : Jarhead (best movie in several months)

Logical
11-06-2005, 01:13 AM
If you don't like the first 3/4ths of the movie turn in your man card.

The ending was sort of weak, and actually once you get to the actual war time frame it starts to lag but easily the most enjoyable movie I have seen in several months.

Not sure how realistic it all is, but it is definately entertaining.

Ebolapox
11-06-2005, 01:19 AM
ooh-rah

-R. Lee Ermey-

KChiefsQT
11-06-2005, 02:07 AM
yessssssssssss. ive been waiting for this movie to xome out.!!!!!!!!

KCChiefsMan
11-06-2005, 02:13 AM
I love this job, hooh-rah

beavis
11-06-2005, 02:34 AM
Just finished the book... it'll be hard for the movie to live up to it.

Chromatic
11-06-2005, 06:34 AM
I hardly see movies anymore(Hollywood seems to be choking with weak remakes) but this movie looks great. Jamie Foxx is awesome and i've always had a soft spot for war movies.

Phobia
11-06-2005, 07:01 AM
I wanted to go see if Friday but it didn't work out. I'll let you know how realistic it is.

Eleazar
11-06-2005, 07:13 AM
I want to see this one too, glad to hear that it's turning out good.

Hammock Parties
11-06-2005, 08:30 AM
I wanted to go see if Friday but it didn't work out. I'll let you know how realistic it is.

Yes. For instance, were all the marines as attractive as Jamie Foxx and Jake Gyllenhaal?

Deberg_1990
11-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Ive been loking forward to this one for a long time.....From the director of "American Beauty" and "Road to Perdition", two of my faves of the past 5 or 6 years...

Skip Towne
11-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Is John Wayne in it?

JBucc
11-06-2005, 09:31 AM
I heard there was hardly any action and it was mostly what they do in their down time but if you say it's good I might go see it.

Coach
11-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Is John Wayne in it?

Heh.

I always enjoyed a war movie with John Wayne in it.

Sands of Iwo Jima and The Longest Day comes into mind.

PunkinDrublic
11-06-2005, 09:52 AM
I actually met the author at a booksigning a couple years ago. Seemed like a good guy.

Hammock Parties
11-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Saw it last night.

Excellent movie, I loved the oil rain scenes.

Could have done without the shots of Jake Gyllenhaal's ass. :shake:

chagrin
11-11-2005, 10:51 AM
"turn in your man card"???

puhleease dude.

Kylo Ren
11-11-2005, 11:00 AM
If you don't like the first 3/4ths of the movie turn in your man card.

The ending was sort of weak, and actually once you get to the actual war time frame it starts to lag but easily the most enjoyable movie I have seen in several months.

Not sure how realistic it all is, but it is definately entertaining. Does it spew the typical Hollywood leftist propaganda? If so, no thanks. I won't support that kind of crap. If it's just a good war movie that uplifts the U.S. and our soldiers in a patriotic light, then yes, I'll go see it. Can you give some insight?

Hammock Parties
11-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Does it spew the typical Hollywood leftist propaganda?

No, not really.

Demonpenz
11-11-2005, 11:02 AM
i think three kings is an underated movie

chagrin
11-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Does it spew the typical Hollywood leftist propaganda? If so, no thanks. I won't support that kind of crap. If it's just a good war movie that uplifts the U.S. and our soldiers in a patriotic light, then yes, I'll go see it. Can you give some insight?

There is some battle scenes, it mostly is about a guy who is filled with patriotism and was excited to go to war, then got there (he was a sniper) and ended up not really doing anything. He wrote a book about it, and there is some anti war sentiment, but it's not exactly typical Hollywood. In other words it's not terribly offensive - mostly boring

scooter
11-11-2005, 11:07 AM

I thought of you when I saw it and was curious about how realistic it was. The movie isn't a typical "war movie" but have also heard that Desert Storm wasn't a typical war for the ground troops. Anxious to see your reaction.

FWIW, my wife and I thought it was really good and really enjoyed it.

jynni
11-11-2005, 11:16 AM
My brother is a Marine and spent about seven months in Iraq last year. He liked it and said it was pretty realistic.

He didn't detail which specific part he found accurate but did say the short bootcamp sequence was the most realistic depiction of bootcamp that he'd ever seen in a movie.

Hammock Parties
11-11-2005, 11:17 AM
He didn't detail which specific part he found accurate but did say the short bootcamp sequence was the most realistic depiction of bootcamp that he'd ever seen in a movie.

Note to self: do not go to bootcamp.

Kylo Ren
11-11-2005, 11:30 AM
No, not really. Good to know. Thanks

jspchief
11-11-2005, 11:32 AM
I wanted to go see if Friday but it didn't work out. I'll let you know how realistic it is.We'll anxiously await your return with a slice of pie waiting for you.

Deberg_1990
11-11-2005, 11:37 AM
i think three kings is an underated movie

Three Kings rocks! Criminally overlooked and underrated. It workss as a pure action film, character drama, comedy and anti-war film all at once...

conchshell
11-11-2005, 12:32 PM
it was an ok movie for me. I found serenity to be much more interesting than jarhead, but maybe it's just me

jjjayb
11-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Movie sucked. Boring. IS typical hollywood left wing anti-war crap. :cuss:

mcan
11-11-2005, 12:51 PM
I was looking forward to seeing Jarhead, but this week I only had a chance to see two movies, and "Capote" and "Good Night and Good Luck" were at the top of my list.

For what it's worth, I liked both of those films quite a bit.

Hammock Parties
11-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Movie sucked. Boring. IS typical hollywood left wing anti-war crap. :cuss:

What a load of crap.

chief99
11-11-2005, 01:47 PM
A movie about the GULF WAR ?

Strange . I am underwhelmed.

jjjayb
11-11-2005, 03:16 PM
What a load of crap.

It's my opinion so shove it up your ass. Having served in the military I'll tell you the movie is a far cry from reality. I also completely dislike the portrayal of the majority of the soldiers in this movie as wacked out psychotics or damn near retards with no respect or discipline.

I somehow had the feeling I would hear "We're only here cause of the oil." at least once in this movie and I was right.

I should have known what this movie would be like just from having seen "American Beauty". This director has a serious issue with the military. Either his daddy was military and spanked him a little too hard or he enlisted and punked out.

Save you money and spend it on a movie worth seeing. Maybe something a little more realistic like "chicken little".

alanm
11-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Is John Wayne in it?
Only if they prop him up in a corner. :)

Rausch
11-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Heh.

I always enjoyed a war movie with John Wayne in it.

Yep.

Next best thing to pissing on a history book...

Wa-Z
11-11-2005, 03:29 PM
I didn't like it at all...it seemed like a Full Metal Jacket wannabe at first, and there was no action in it at all

Hammock Parties
11-11-2005, 03:31 PM
there was no action in it at all

That was the way it was supposed to be. Apparently you were expecting Rambo?

BreesLightning
11-11-2005, 04:57 PM
I somehow had the feeling I would hear "We're only here cause of the oil." at least once in this movie and I was right.

Was there any other reason??

Sure-Oz
11-11-2005, 05:07 PM
it wasnt bad, wish it had more action.

Logical
11-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Does it spew the typical Hollywood leftist propaganda? If so, no thanks. I won't support that kind of crap. If it's just a good war movie that uplifts the U.S. and our soldiers in a patriotic light, then yes, I'll go see it. Can you give some insight?Actually it is a pretty balanced movie, presenting the subject in a soldiers eyes. I don't see Michael Moore endorsing this type of movie, nor would have John Wayne. You will have to see it to decide.

Logical
11-12-2005, 09:39 PM
I didn't like it at all...it seemed like a Full Metal Jacket wannabe at first, and there was no action in it at allYou realize that was supposed to be the point of the movie. The gung ho marines were not really used in that Gulf War for the fighting and this movie is a story about that.

Lipschitz
11-12-2005, 09:43 PM
You do realize that it is just a movie?

CoMoChief
11-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Good movie, best since Batman Begins IMO.

the Talking Can
11-12-2005, 10:05 PM
It's my opinion so shove it up your ass. Having served in the military I'll tell you the movie is a far cry from reality. I also completely dislike the portrayal of the majority of the soldiers in this movie as wacked out psychotics or damn near retards with no respect or discipline.

I should have known what this movie would be like just from having seen "American Beauty". This director has a serious issue with the military. Either his daddy was military and spanked him a little too hard or he enlisted and punked out.

Save you money and spend it on a movie worth seeing. Maybe something a little more realistic like "chicken little".

fyi, the movie is based on a memoir of a soldier...Swofford, the main character...I thought he portrayed the soldiers as very human and dignified....rowdy, adolescent, sure...but fundamentally decent..the book is much better, and spends more time with the soldiers after they leave the army..

he also spends more time dealing with the ironies of our military protecting the anti-democratic Monarchy of Saudi Arabia in the name of oil...of course it is a touchy subject, but addressing it makes one honest not a "punk"..we can always use more candor...imho..

Logical
11-12-2005, 10:42 PM
You do realize that it is just a movie?Not sure who this was meant for, but if it was for me, please tell me why you would think otherwise?

recxjake
11-12-2005, 10:54 PM
i loved it, got me pumped up and made me wish i had joined the marines

Wa-Z
11-13-2005, 01:40 AM
That was the way it was supposed to be. Apparently you were expecting Rambo?

I didn't do a background check before I watched it, all I knew is that it was a war movie...who would expect a war movie without fighting

Phobia
11-19-2005, 07:43 AM
If you've ever wondered what life was like for the people in GW1, watch this movie. Yes, Hollywood took a few liberties with a couple scenes.... but overall this movie captured the ups and downs associated with life in the gulf in 90-91. It was an outstanding show.

For those of you questioning the reality of this movie, you're wrong. It took me back 15 years for sure. Burning shitters was every bit of that and worse.

Black Jack Savage
11-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Does Willie Beamen get all the Saudi Arabians "cold creamin"?

beavis
11-26-2005, 01:56 AM
If you've ever wondered what life was like for the people in GW1, watch this movie. Yes, Hollywood took a few liberties with a couple scenes.... but overall this movie captured the ups and downs associated with life in the gulf in 90-91. It was an outstanding show.

For those of you questioning the reality of this movie, you're wrong. It took me back 15 years for sure. Burning shitters was every bit of that and worse.
Out of curiousity, did you read the book? It stuck pretty much to Swofford's story, aside from like you said, the usual few Hollywood liberties.

Did you see any of the oil fires? He didn't really go into much detail in the book, I was just curious if that's really what it was like. I can't imagine how bad that had to be covered in that shit in that heat.

beavis
11-26-2005, 01:57 AM
... and oh yeah, great flick. At least watch the movie if you don't read the book.

Phobia
11-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Out of curiousity, did you read the book? It stuck pretty much to Swofford's story, aside from like you said, the usual few Hollywood liberties.

Did you see any of the oil fires? He didn't really go into much detail in the book, I was just curious if that's really what it was like. I can't imagine how bad that had to be covered in that shit in that heat.

I did not read the book.

I saw the oil fires. I remember them well. There were several pretty close to us. It was black as midnight at noon for a couple days, but we were never soaked with oil. I don't know where that happened. I suppose it's possible the closer you are to the well, but it didn't happen to us. It also wasn't that hot. This was February and it was an unseasonably cool year. Especially at night. There's a common misconception that it was 110 degrees over there. Maybe it is now, but it wasn't for GW1.