PDA

View Full Version : Mercury News - It's another wrenching loss in KC

Hammock Parties
11-07-2005, 01:45 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/football/nfl/oakland_raiders/13101458.htm

It's another wrenching loss in Kansas City

By Ann Killion

Mercury News Staff Columnist

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Once again, the field at Arrowhead Stadium is littered with broken Raiders hearts. With silver and black guts ripped out and discarded.

Sunday's 27-23 loss to the Chiefs was a heartbreaker. A gut-ripper. Once again.

``It obviously doesn't get any tougher,'' Kerry Collins said.

The faces change. The names change. It wasn't Andre Rison sticking in the dagger this time, but a running back named Larry Johnson. It wasn't a last-second field goal, but a gutsy, last-second touchdown.

But the outcome was the same. The Raiders have lost six consecutive games to the Chiefs, all by less than a touchdown. All in wrenching, bizarre finishes.

And this pulsating, deafening red caldron is the Raiders' own version of hell. They have won in Kansas City just three times in the past 17 years.

There is a rivalry here, but the Raiders aren't holding up their end of it.

On Sunday, the Raiders thought they had the game won. When Randy Moss scored with his only catch of the day, with 1 minute, 45 seconds to play, the Raiders allowed themselves a fleeting moment of joy.

``I'm mad I let myself get excited,'' center Adam Treu said. ``I had a great feeling about it.''

A victory would have pulled the Raiders back to .500, a place they have not been midway through a season since their Super Bowl year in 2002. A victory would have put them squarely in contention in the AFC West.

But the Raiders left the Chiefs 105 seconds, which -- as anyone following this series knows -- is way too much time.

The Chiefs moved down the field. They were helped by a penalty on Ed Jasper for tripping, a penalty the Raiders hotly disputed.

``I didn't even see the quarterback -- I was too busy being yanked down,'' Jasper said. ``When I saw the flag, I thought it was holding.''

There was a half-hearted attempt to launch the tattered Raiders conspiracy theory, but it didn't fly. One of the Raiders' own touchdown drives was helped along by two questionable calls -- a roughing-the-passer penalty and an unsportsmanlike-conduct flag.

With 19 seconds left, on first down at the Raiders' 37, Trent Green found Johnson alone in the middle of the field. The Raiders had rushed five men on the play, and Johnson was left uncovered. He rumbled almost to the end zone.

``It was a blown coverage,'' safety Stuart Schweigert said.

Receiver Jerry Porter offered, ``I guess we relaxed and started playing a prevent defense.''

After the Chiefs called timeout, there were five seconds left on the clock, and the ball was on the 1. In today's super-cautious NFL, most of the coaches would have picked to kick a field goal and go to overtime.

Not Dick Vermeil. He made a choice, much like Pete Carroll did against Notre Dame. A win-or-lose choice. A run-the-ball-right-up-the-middle choice.

``Wow, was I scared,'' Vermeil said. ``I just figured, I'm too old to wait.''

His move surprised some of the Raiders.

``Very much,'' Porter said. ``It was pretty ballsy. You either score or you lose.''

Johnson scored. He vaulted over his offensive line and into the end zone, and the Raiders walked off, leaving their hearts and guts on the field behind them.

There were so few Raiders left on the field that Collins, the quarterback, went out for the point-after kick. In 11 years in the league, it was his only play not on offense.

The Raiders are now at the midway point of the season at 3-5, one win better than the past two years but still in a bad place. They are two wins behind both the Chargers and the Chiefs, and three behind the Broncos, who come to Oakland next weekend.

Their off-season prize, Moss, caught just one pass, of eight thrown his way. Collins made almost as many boneheaded plays -- including a horrible interception that set up a Chiefs touchdown -- as good ones.

Yes, the Raiders showed some fortitude Sunday. They played an uninspired game until the fourth quarter, when they had two solid drives and put themselves in position to win.

Yes, they're a better team than they were last year. But they are still haunted by the Chiefs and the horrific final seconds of these games.

``I thought we'd exorcized some of the ghosts,'' Collins said. ``This was a tremendously hard loss.''

Once again.

Spicy McHaggis
11-07-2005, 01:48 AM
"And this pulsating, deafening red caldron is the Raiders' own version of hell. They have won in Kansas City just three times in the past 17 years."

Crazy. Let's keep that up.

Hammock Parties
11-07-2005, 01:50 AM
``I thought we'd exorcized some of the ghosts,'' Collins said. ``This was a tremendously hard loss.''

HAHA! PWNED, KERRY! ROFL

Dunit35
11-07-2005, 01:53 AM
Porter said Ballsy. ROFL

greg63
11-07-2005, 02:10 AM
…An article aptly written.

BigMeatballDave
11-07-2005, 02:12 AM
ROFL Dig the avy...

CoMoChief
11-07-2005, 02:17 AM
I hope this loss sparks them up somehow and they start beating the other teams in our division now since we don't play them anymore.

Here are my thoughts on the game...
1. Once again, no Roaf means no offense
2. With their DL/LB's we should have ran it outside more, we were having better results.
3. Our WR's are having trouble getting open making Green hold on to the ball longer.
4. Our O-line is getting old, or at least looks it, we looked slow all afternoon.
5. Still need more pressure from the DL. This is a must look at during the offseason. Any news on Ryan Sims?
6. Derrick Johnson had a hell of a game, he was all over the field.
7. With Surtain out, I thought Moss was gonna have a career day, but our secondary stepped up HUGE. My hat goes off to them and the rest of the defense.
8. We need to put more people in the box and blitz our LBs more. If we can survive Moss in single coverage at times, I'm sure we can handle other WRs as well, especially when Surtain comes back.
9. Priest would not have made that run after catch like LJ did at the end of the game. If Priest doesn't come back like the old Priest, then LJ should start, period.
10. Still need to get TonyG the ball more often. This also has to do with our WRs not getting open.
11. IM SICK AND TIRED OF 3 n OUTS!!!
12. Tynes is becoming more and more confident and I havent felt this good about a kicker since Lowery.
13. Holy shit Hicks made some plays today.
14. Colquitt is still a hidden gem, even though his net avg wasn't that great. I'll blame the field position for that though I guess.
15. The refs were awful through out the whole game.
16. Our Special Teams coverage is a joke, and almost just as bad as the Rams, but I won't go there....yet.
17. We better win the next 2 games. If we want to almost for sure snag one of the wildcard spots, then we better be sitting at 7-3 after the next two weeks.

|Zach|
11-07-2005, 02:20 AM
Eric, 26 points? No offense?

CoMoChief
11-07-2005, 02:26 AM
Eric, 26 points? No offense?

You can't honestly say that we got it done offensively today. Our offense was a joke the 1st half.

Digital Takawira
11-07-2005, 02:30 AM
"Once again, the field at Arrowhead Stadium is littered with broken Raiders hearts. With silver and black guts ripped out and discarded."

"And this pulsating, deafening red caldron is the Raiders' own version of hell. They have won in Kansas City just three times in the past 17 years."

:) :) :)

Hammock Parties
11-07-2005, 02:30 AM
Yeah, whatever. We started slow, we finished strong.

|Zach|
11-07-2005, 02:36 AM
You can't honestly say that we got it done offensively today. Our offense was a joke the 1st half.And they ended up with 26 points.

Hammock Parties
11-07-2005, 02:42 AM
And they ended up with 26 points.

27!

Abba-Dabba
11-07-2005, 02:45 AM
27!

Wrong again. 18pts. Tynes had 9.

greg63
11-07-2005, 03:39 AM
And they ended up with 26 points.

Hey, we know the real reason we won today is because you finally quit slackin and made it to a game. :p :D

VonneMarie
11-07-2005, 07:51 PM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Once again, the field at Arrowhead Stadium is littered with broken Raiders hearts. With silver and black guts ripped out and discarded.

That's great. ROFL

Hammock Parties
11-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Nice bump. I just love reading these quotes. Pobre Chokeland.

redfan
11-07-2005, 08:10 PM
"I'm mad I let myself get excited,'' center Adam Treu said. "I had a great feeling about it.''

Bwhahahahaha!!

On a side note:
My wife taught this guy how to swim.

Skip Towne
11-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Although he had nothing to do with our current 6 game ownage of the Fade, Marty absolutely destroyed them. Something like 18 wins in 19 tries. And he has three straight over us. Don't believe all you read on this board about Marty. Marty will kick your ass.

KcMizzou
11-07-2005, 08:49 PM
And this pulsating, deafening red caldron is the Raiders' own version of hell.

Haha... that's awesome.

Kinda liked UD refering to the Chiefs as the "Red Devils" too.

teedubya
11-07-2005, 08:53 PM
"I'm mad I let myself get excited,'' center Adam Treu said. "I had a great feeling about it.''

Bwhahahahaha!!

On a side note:
My wife taught this guy how to swim.

Yeah? But, what did he teach your wife?

redfan
11-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Yeah? But, what did he teach your wife?

:rolleyes: Try the veal, folks.

Seeing as how he was about 10 y/o at the time, not much.
You dirty rotten m'f.

I keed because I love...

milkman
11-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Although he had nothing to do with our current 6 game ownage of the Fade, Marty absolutely destroyed them. Something like 18 wins in 19 tries. And he has three straight over us. Don't believe all you read on this board about Marty. Marty will kick your ass.

Until he meets you in the playoffs, when he will kick his own ass.

Skip Towne
11-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Until he meets you in the playoffs, when he will kick his own ass.
And how the hell would you know anything about the playoffs? You're a Chiefs fan, right?

milkman
11-07-2005, 10:53 PM
And how the hell would you know anything about the playoffs? You're a Chiefs fan, right?

I remember the '60s.