PDA

View Full Version : Buying from scalpers question

cookster50
11-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Many people buy from scalpers? I may decide to go to the Dungver game, is it easy to get decent tickets at decent prices from scalpers? Hints, tips, or tricks?

BigRedChief
11-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Many people buy from scalpers? I may decide to go to the Dungver game, is it easy to get decent tickets at decent prices from scalpers? Hints, tips, or tricks?

They have been known to do police stings at big games to discourage scalping. They arrest the buyee also so be careful.

Go over to Kansas and its legal, just not at Arrowhead.

cookster50
11-07-2005, 01:19 PM
They have been known to do police stings at big games to discourage scalping. They arrest the buyee also so be careful.

I didn't know buying was illegal. I thought you just couldn't sell for above face value......

jspchief
11-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Hang around the entrances to the stadium about 15-30 minutes before kick-off. There are always people selling their extra tickets for face or less.

dtebbe
11-07-2005, 01:27 PM
I didn't know buying was illegal. I thought you just couldn't sell for above face value......

I don't think the buying is illegal, usually they get the seller for doing business without a license to do so, at least that's how they do it here in the ATL.

DT

luv
11-07-2005, 01:31 PM
scalp
One entry found for scalp.

Main Entry: 2scalp
Function: verb
transitive senses
1 a : to deprive of the scalp b : to remove an upper part from
2 : to remove a desired constituent from and discard the rest
3 : to buy and sell so as to make small quick profits <scalp stocks> <scalp grain>; especially : to resell at greatly increased prices <scalp theater tickets>
intransitive senses
1 : to take scalps
2 : to profit by slight market fluctuations
- scalp·er noun

I would say that, according to number three, if the person is not making a profit off the ticket (selling them for face value or less), then it not considered scalping. You should be alright.

Uatu
11-07-2005, 01:35 PM
It is not legal in Missouri to sell tickets for more than face value.

I have never had trouble finding a single ticket for face in the parking lot; often below face value. Shouldn't be hard to find a pair for face either.

seclark
11-07-2005, 01:40 PM
It is not legal in Missouri to sell tickets for more than face value.

I have never had trouble finding a single ticket for face in the parking lot; often below face value. Shouldn't be hard to find a pair for face either.

same here...never had a problem. although once at a mnf game against denver, a guy came up and offered a shitload for my pair of tickets. i still think he was a cop.
sec

cookster50
11-07-2005, 01:42 PM
So, you all think I will be able to get tickets at face even for the Dungver game?

luv
11-07-2005, 01:47 PM
So, you all think I will be able to get tickets at face even for the Dungver game?
If you're looking for tickets at face value, can't you order them online and pick them up at the window?

Uatu
11-07-2005, 01:48 PM
If you're looking for tickets at face value, can't you order them online and pick them up at the window?

If there are tickets on ticketbastard for sale, they are probably up in mountain goat territory.

Saulbadguy
11-07-2005, 01:49 PM
"I NEED TICKETS"

cookster50
11-07-2005, 01:49 PM

There aren't 2 side by side. The wife wouldn't like that.

cookster50
11-07-2005, 01:50 PM
"I NEED TICKETS"
Go get your own thread you thread whore!

Infidel Goat
11-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Hang around the entrances to the stadium about 15-30 minutes before kick-off. There are always people selling their extra tickets for face or less.

In my experience, the prices continue to fall the closer to kickoff you get. If you don't mind missing the first three or four minutes, you can likely find a very desperate seller.

Of course, you'd also miss the pregame atmosphere . . .

Good luck!

--Infidel Goat

Swanman
11-07-2005, 02:12 PM

In Illinois, it's not illegal to buy, only to sell if you're not selling from a fixed storefront (not licensed to scalp). I was at the Final Four in St. Louis in April and saw a bust go down. The scalper was arrested and the money for the tickets was taken. So the buyer wasn't arrested but was out hundreds of dollars. That was a tough ticket to get. I wandered around for a few hours prior to tipoff of the first semifinal and finally got a ticket about 2 minutes before tip for $600 and that was a bargain compared to other prices I had heard.

BigRedChief
11-07-2005, 02:12 PM
A state statute (Section 578.395 (http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes/c500-599/5780000395.htm), RSMo 2004) prohibits the sale or resale of tickets to Missouri public sporting events at more than the face value of the ticket. Major League Baseball sets the prices for tickets for post-season play. If charged criminally, scalping is punishable by up to a $50 fine and 15 days in jail for a first offense and a $1,000 fine and one year in jail for third and subsequent offenses. Local prosecuting attorneys have jurisdiction to bring such charges under state law.

Nothing in there about buying tickets.