PDA

View Full Version : I WANT to believe...

alanm
09-20-2000, 12:16 PM
I really do.

I want to believe that after a season of bonehead decisions, Gunther put aside his outdated idea that tough wins football games. I want to believe that after promising a more open Offense, Gunther finally decided to deliver on that promise. I want to believe that we have finally discovered a killer instinct.

I want to believe that Raye was responsible for an Offensive game plan that took advantage of what the Defense offered and attacked the mismatches. I want to believe that he saw that his original plan was not working and then revised that plan during the game. I want to believe that after an entire career of failure, Raye suddenly realized what we fans have been yapping about for months. If the Enemy stacks the line, you CAN throw for 500 yards.

I want to believe, but I am still wracked with doubt. I watched the coaching staff blow [2] winnable games against playoff teams and despaired. Just when I reluctantly conclude that we require a total turnover in the coaching staff, they deliver the kind of game our players should be able to deliver every week.

xoxo~
gaz
riding that good ol’ Chiefs roller coaster again.<BR>

alanm
09-20-2000, 12:16 PM
Is a full year of incompetent performances washed away by one good game? I have been fooled by this staff before [pretty sad to be outwitted by a bunch of Stooges, huh?] and I hesitate to trust them again. Fool me once…

So how long will it take for me to believe? I don’t know. I will have to see consistent evidence that our coaching staff learned their lessons. I will have to see them go for the throat over and over. I will have to see them throw over a stacked line and run when the D reels back in confusion. The coaching staff broke my faith with an amazing string of bad decisions. I can be brought back into the fold, but they are going to have to work for it.

But I really do want to believe.

xoxo~
gaz
eternal sucker.<BR>

mcnall
09-20-2000, 12:25 PM
Hope springs eternal grasshopper. All we need is a good QB CRUSHING victory this weekend and all will be, as it should.

alanm
09-20-2000, 12:26 PM
And it doesn’t get any better if I do believe.

Let us give our coaching staff the complete benefit of the doubt. Let us assume that they saw the light and that the heart-warming Offensive production on Sunday was entirely a product of coaching. That is the very kindest assumption I can make.

It still doesn’t bode well for our coaching staff that it took more than an entire year of Offensive disappointment for them to finally get a clue. It also sucks that they claimed that they understood the situation when they threatened to throw for 500 yards.

The best thing you can say about them is that they got it nearly perfect after over a year of observation. I am sorry, but that simply is not good enough. I understand the concept of a learning curve, but this is ridiculous.

The scenario that puts our coaching staff in the best possible light still makes them look very, VERY bad.

I WANT to believe, but it is hard to put a good face on this situation.

xoxo~
gaz
riding the downside of the faith curve.<BR>

DoktorSmith
09-20-2000, 12:31 PM
Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause....

Gaz, believe...have faith that last week was not a fluke...believe and it will happen...

you know what's even more scary...Elvis supposedly called his own plays in the 2 minute drill at the end of the half and we scored a TD...the play on the goal line, play action...pass to TRich...that was EGs call not Rayes...I wonder if Raye would have called a run?...

Wow..... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

DoktorSmith
09-20-2000, 12:33 PM
BTW, Gaz, I know this will cheer you up...the NFL stats came out in the Star today and the Chiefs have 3 players in the top ten in sacks, and....ready for this....they are all DL.... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/cool.gif...this is very encouraging...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

BigMeatballDave
09-20-2000, 12:41 PM
GAZ,

I want to beleave too. I may need to flip a coin to decide if i'm an optimist or a pessimist.

------------------
Chiefs Rock

chiefsnathan
09-20-2000, 12:45 PM
Gaz:

I even believed when Uncle Festus (Wade Phillips) was the Broncos coach. I think its natural, even if it seems irrational.

It could be worse. After a Bronco loss during the Festus era, he actually said on the coaches show, "Well, we won the game if you take out those three touchdowns in the first half..." I think you'll agree that hearing a coach say something like that inspires all kinds of confidence.

alanm
09-20-2000, 12:48 PM
Drew-

Kinda like when Gunther praised us for running for positive yardage against Indianapolis and Tennessee…

xoxo~
gaz
suffering a crisis of faith.<BR>

alanm
09-20-2000, 12:50 PM
Joe-

You know how to cheer up an old Defensive Homer.

xoxo~
gaz
floats hope on the backs of crushed QBs.<BR>

DoktorSmith
09-20-2000, 12:52 PM
While I don't want to see anyone injured seriously....we have crushed some QBs the last two weeks... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
joe

Raiderhater
09-20-2000, 12:55 PM
I believe in the team. They have proved that they are talented enough to play with the 'big boys' as witnessed by the close games against Indy and Tenn.

I dont believe in the coaching staff as they are the reason why we did not win those two games.

Im having trouble giving the coaches any credit for the SD win.

alanm
09-20-2000, 12:59 PM
KCTitus-

That’s the rub, innit?

Will we see more aggressive play calling that attacks the weakness of the D or will we see another attempt to prove our toughness at the expense of the score?

xoxo~
gaz
almost dreads the answer.<BR>

Raiderhater
09-20-2000, 01:06 PM
I can live with the answer if it is allways the same. The thing I cant stand is this Jekyll/Hyde routine where we 'open' the offense one day and then 'hide' it the next.

The fact that we're asking this question is maddening to say the least.

Chances are good you will lose a game or two, or even more each season. It's better to go down swinging than to have never tried.

WarPaint
09-20-2000, 01:11 PM
It sure is nice to have a faint glimmer of hope. I wonder if the first two games would have been different if Morris had been signed on time? Hard to throw for 500 yards with Rison, not as hard to do it with a speedy, tall, strong rookie.

Whatever Hicks, Williams and Chester ate for last Sunday's breakfast should be served again this week. I don't care if the food was enhanced from Romo's medicine cabinet, I liked what I saw. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Lurker Brett
09-20-2000, 01:22 PM
All good points.

I too am skeptical. Denver's passing defense is ranked soooo low any moron should be able to figure out what kind of game plan to come up with.

If we run this week against 8-9 man fronts I'll, I'll, I'll, well when I think of it I'll let you know.

shakesthecat
09-20-2000, 01:28 PM
Gaz - It is going to take a helluva lot more than just a victory this week. I was not a Gunther fan when they hired him, and have yet to see the consistancy needed in a HC. I believe the victories we achieve this season will be in spite of the coaching staff, not because of it.

wutamess
09-20-2000, 01:29 PM
You know what is a cool idea? The idea of having Jimmy Raye say "Elvis, take over the offense" when we are in a 2 minute drill, and be able to lounge back with his hands behind his head and watch Elvis with complete confidence as he drives his way to the end zone.... *sigh*

AustinChief
09-20-2000, 01:31 PM
I am totally in agreement with post kcred...

Coaches have a lot to prove... And one game doesn't prove it...

Raiderhater
09-20-2000, 01:33 PM
Bishop: An even BETTER idea than that?

Hire a coach that believes the Offenses job is to score points and win the game.

This coach would also believe that the goal of the defense is to stop the other teams offense from scoring, and if near the end of the game and you're behind or winning, you would rather have your offense on the field with the ball than your defense on the field.

[This message has been edited by KCTitus (edited 09-20-2000).]

wutamess
09-20-2000, 01:35 PM
Yeah, that would be cool too... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

WarPaint
09-20-2000, 01:40 PM
The wins and losses aren't the big thing to me at this point. IMO, a change in direction, attitude and philosophy is key right now. As long as those things change the wins will follow and so will a legitimate shot at the title.

alanm
09-20-2000, 01:47 PM
Chiefnj-

Exactly.

The problem I am having is how can I trust any apparent change in coaching philosophy?

I heard “we’re going to open up the Offense” and “if they stack the line we’ll throw for 500 yards” and I bought it hook, line and sinker. Yeah, I know, I’m a gullible doofus…

So, how many games does it take to regain faith in your coaching staff?

xoxo~
gaz
mired in doubt.<BR>

Warrior5
09-20-2000, 02:08 PM
Gaz,

We are also only a week or two removed from Gun saying:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>never throw if we're backed up in our own territory.....and something about punting for field position instead of trying to drive the length of the field http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/confused.gif
<LI>we'll run the ball, and when we are in a situation where we need to pass, we'll run it some more http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
</UL>
I can't remember the exact quotes, but it's hard to overlook these incredulous comments.

I hope what you say will come true Chiefnj. We have the youth and talent on the team now, so if the coaching staff decides to alter their philosophy, we could be on a real upswing. I am also prepared to wait for the wins if the gameplan is modernised and inventive from week to week.<BR>

alanm
09-20-2000, 02:13 PM
Cormac-

Uh-ooh! You just stunted my progress towards belief in my coaching staff.

I hope you’re proud of yourself, young man.

Hasta, folks. Time to head home for some quality time with Mrs. Gaz.

xoxo~
gaz
taking a giant step backwards in faith and a giant step towards the door.<BR>