PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the officiating this year?

RealSNR
11-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Don't you just love the 5 minute meetings to discuss if they should throw the flag for a false start? :#

If this is a move by the NFL to make games better officiated, then why were there so many shitty calls during the Chiefs game yesterday?

Earthling
11-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Once in a while it seems like they make a good call.

Lonewolf Ed
11-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Don't you just love the 5 minute meetings to discuss if they should throw the flag for a false start? :#

If this is a move by the NFL to make games better officiated, then why were there so many shitty calls during the Chiefs game yesterday?

It sure seems worse league-wide than I have seen in quite some time. To sum it up this year: piss poor. :cuss:

milkman
11-07-2005, 11:27 PM
I don't think the officiating is any worse, or better, than it has been for years now.

I do, however, think that refs are getting to be like baseball umps, in that they seem to want to be a part of the game.

There are still a couple of good ones left, but guys like Larry Nimrod, and the incredible hulkage seem to have flag throwing fests just to get face time on camera.

B_Ambuehl
11-08-2005, 12:16 AM
They're seeing what's going on and making the calls but are being far too robotic and need to exercise better judgement as to when to throw a flag or not. NBA officials are great at this. If a penalty occurs that doesn't interfere with the outcome of the play there's no reason for a flag.

HemiEd
11-08-2005, 12:22 AM
I agree with Sidewinder, they are camera hogs. I think they influence the outcome of the games too much, like every year. But, I think they are the best of any sport.

joesomebody
11-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Meh, they're doing ok. I think this has been a flag happy year, but I have no numbers to back that up. Just seems to be a whole lot more holding calls than usual, pass interference too.

I basically only watch the Chiefs, whoever plays before or after the Chiefs, and Monday Night Football though, so thats certainly not a league wide indicator.

Rausch
11-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Depends on the team.

I think the Chiefs have gotten as many as they've got fugged on. Pretty much the best I could expect.

But then you watch a Colts game and you want to ****ing gag when you see how much Manning and Co. get away with...

Dunit35
11-08-2005, 01:07 AM
The refs let the special players get away with junk, Michael Strahan (sp?) just said it on his weekly segment on The Gayest Sportshow.

Miles
11-08-2005, 01:37 AM
Definintly seeing more flags on returns this year. Almost seems unusual to have a return without one.

CoMoChief
11-08-2005, 01:51 AM
All I know is that they need to look at whoever covers Tony Gonzalez because the guy gets raped constantly over the course of the entire game and nothing ever gets called.

greg63
11-08-2005, 01:55 AM
Officiating?? We've had officiating this year?

alanm
11-08-2005, 01:56 AM
I don't think the officiating is any worse, or better, than it has been for years now.

I do, however, think that refs are getting to be like baseball umps, in that they seem to want to be a part of the game.

There are still a couple of good ones left, but guys like Larry Nimrod, and the incredible hulkage seem to have flag throwing fests just to get face time on camera.
The NFL officiating seems in general like it always has. You're always going to bitch about the refs anyway. I don't much pay attention to the refs but this year I seem to notice lots of new faces. All the old guys who've been around for years are starting to retire and filter out. So we have tons of new refs in the league. Probably take them time as well to get better. College refs are another story. :shake: I've seen some of the most horrid officiating I've seen in years this year. And that's just in the Big 12. :shrug: