PDA

View Full Version : JoePo: Baird needs to spend wisely

dirk digler
11-08-2005, 10:15 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13108330.htm

Baird needs to spend wisely

Royals have $22 million for free agents

JOE POSNANSKI

Well, this is new. Royals general manager Allard Baird has a little bit of money to spend. In fact, he has more than a little bit. He has about $22 million. That’s probably somewhere in the middle of the pack among baseball teams.

But for the Royals, it’s like striking oil. For the last couple of weeks, Baird has been talking to player agents and trying to convince them that yes, he really has money to spend, really really, and he really wants to spend it on players, really. He says this, of course, to the agents who pick up the phone. The others see “Kansas City Royals” on their caller ID and send it right to voice mail.

But it’s true. Baird and the Royals do have money to spend. And not only that, they want to spend the money. Royals owner David Glass apparently has been called cheap one time too many. He wants a $50 million payroll. And he wants results.

There are, as I see it, only two problems with the new spend-happy Royals.

1. This is a terrible year to have money to spend.

2. The Royals have not been good at spending money.

Let’s take the second part first. I will now list for you the free agents for whom Baird, in his career as Royals GM, has paid $1.5 million or more.

■ Juan Gonzalez ($4 million): Had 127 at-bats and was gone for the season.

■ Brian Anderson ($3.2 million): Went 6-12 with 5.64 ERA. Blew out his arm.

■ Scott Sullivan ($2.6 million): Went 3-4 with 4.77 ERA. Missed entire 2005 season.

■ Jose Lima ($2.5 million): Went 5-16 with record-high 6.99 ERA.

■ Benito Santiago ($2.1 million): Had 175 at-bats and was gone for the season.

■ Chuck Knoblauch ($2 million): Hit .210 in 300 at-bats before getting hurt.

■ Albie Lopez ($1.5 million): Went 4-2 with 12.71 ERA before being released.

That’s it. That’s the whole list. This does not include the acquisition by trade of Eli Marrero ($3.2 million) who hit .159 in 88 at-bats before being mercifully traded again.

So, that’s seven free agents, and every last one of them was a disaster. Now, to be fair, the Royals knew each of these guys was a risk. They couldn’t afford the higher-end free agents. They gambled. And Baird is not lucky at the blackjack table.

“Money isn’t the only answer, obviously,” Baird says. “But when you do have more money to spend, the risk factor involved is a lot less. We have more money this year.”

And that takes us back to the first problem. This is a terrible free-agent year. It’s so bad that A.J. Burnett — a guy who lost his last six games and then walked out on his team — is considered by many to be the top free-agent pitcher in this class.

Brian Giles, who will be 35 years old and hit 15 homers last year, might be the top free-agent power hitter in this class.

In other words, it will be tough for the Royals, no matter how much money they are willing to spend, to drastically improve this club with free-agent talent. But, Baird understands that he has a job to do and some money to spend.

“There are some players in this class that can help us,” he says. He and assistant general manager Muzzy Jackson have already contacted 38 free agents. They intend, Baird says, to “be in on everybody.” So that means they will try to get Rafael Furcal to play second base, even though the word is that the Chicago Cubs and New York Mets are in on the bidding. They will try for Giles, who was third in the National League last year in on-base percentage.

The Royals have Jacque Jones, Reggie Sanders, Paul Byrd, Jarrod Washburn, Jeromy Burnitz, Mark Grudzielanek and a whole bunch of other guys on their list. None of those guys screams “pennant clincher,” but hey, these are the best available.

“Every free agent out there can expect to get at least one call from us,” Baird says.

There is another possibility, too. The Royals could make trades and take on some salary. This might be a better option, if they can find teams willing to deal. The only trouble is that, unlike previous years, it seems like there are a lot of teams out there with money to spend this offseason. There are suddenly teams like Milwaukee and Toronto that feel they might be a couple of players away from being contenders.

So, the Royals are ready to spend right now. They want starting pitchers. They want a corner outfielder with some power. They want a second baseman. They want a veteran backup catcher. They want a lot of things.

I would hope the Royals play this thing smart. I would hope they remember defense. This team desperately needs defense — particularly outfielders who can run. I would hope they would not sign a bunch of old guys who can’t even remember their primes. Nobody wants Sammy Sosa. I would hope they would not spend big money for some third-tier pitcher. It would be smarter to just give Mike Wood a starting job. I would hope they would not sign any more designated-hitter candidates. There are no vacancies.

In other words, I would hope the Royals would sign players who fit into the plan — get a little speed, a little defense, a guy who can get on base, a solid veteran pitcher or two who can eat up some innings and take some pressure off the kids.

But right now, the Royals are like a kid who just got his first paycheck. That money is burning holes in some pockets. The free-agent signing period begins Nov. 11, and the Royals have money, and Baird says the Royals will be making offers right at the starting gun.

“We’re not waiting,” Baird says. “We’re ready to move right now. When I look at the limited talent in this free-agent class and the number of teams that want to spend money, I think it’s like that game of musical chairs. You know at the end, somebody is going to be without a seat.”

“And,” Baird says, “I don’t want that somebody to be us.”

siberian khatru
11-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks for posting this. It pretty much reflects the discussion on the other thread, and this is a more appropriate place for it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-08-2005, 10:24 AM
This is the year. World Series or bust.

shakesthecat
11-08-2005, 10:24 AM
I have a VERY bad feeling about who Allard might end up overpaying for in free agency. As JoPo points out, his track record is beyond horrible.

The 2 or 3 starting players worth signing won't play for KC no matter how much cake Baird throws at them, and the scrubs that actually would sign there will be no better than the scrubs they already have.

This means another 100+ loss season and finally Glass will be forced to do what he should have done 2 years ago, fire the dumbass.

Oh well, at least Gordon and Butler have done well in the Arizona Fall League.

ChiTown
11-08-2005, 10:46 AM
I have a VERY bad feeling about who Allard might end up overpaying for in free agency. As JoPo points out, his track record is beyond horrible.

The 2 or 3 starting players worth signing won't play for KC no matter how much cake Baird throws at them, and the scrubs that actually would sign there will be no better than the scrubs they already have.

This means another 100+ loss season and finally Glass will be forced to do what he should have done 2 years ago, fire the dumbass.

Yes.

It's not what we do or don't have, relative to cash, it's how it's used. Baird has been an absoulte bust in using what he does have. To answer that any other way would be turning a blind eye to the obvious.

Unless we find some pitching (starters), we are destined for another 100 loss season. I'd kill to have a legit #2 as our #1. Geezus, we haven't had an ace since Appier left.

HemiEd
11-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Paul Konerko? Alternate with Sweeney at DH? :shrug:

This would have a double benefit, taking him from a division rival.

siberian khatru
11-08-2005, 10:53 AM

We've got 1B/DH types coming out our ears. Plus, he'll be too expensive.

dirk digler
11-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Thanks for posting this. It pretty much reflects the discussion on the other thread, and this is a more appropriate place for it.

Your welcome.

Pitt Gorilla
11-08-2005, 10:55 AM

This would have a double benefit, taking him from a division rival.NO.

beavis
11-08-2005, 10:59 AM

This is exactly why I'd rather they bank the $22 million this year, and save it to the sign players we already have (that are worth signing) to long term deals.

HemiEd
11-08-2005, 10:59 AM
We've got 1B/DH types coming out our ears. Plus, he'll be too expensive.

I understand your point completely. However, are any of those types any good other than Mike Sweeney? I am asking, because for the first time in over 30 years I pretty much quit them this year.
I would rather see them over pay for a guy that plays the whole year and produces than what they did with the seven mentioned above while trying to find a bargain. Just my thoughts.

Saulbadguy
11-08-2005, 11:03 AM

I think the Angels will lock him up, plus I don't see the need.

beavis
11-08-2005, 11:05 AM
I understand your point completely. However, are any of those types any good other than Mike Sweeney? I am asking, because for the first time in over 30 years I pretty much quit them this year.
I would rather see them over pay for a guy that plays the whole year and produces than what they did with the seven mentioned above while trying to find a bargain. Just my thoughts.
Justin Huber has the potential to be a beast. A true middle of the order, power bat. There's talk of Gordon playing first too since that's where he's at in the AFL, but if he doesn't end up at third, it makes more sense to me that he'd be in the outfield.

God willing, Harvey will be playing for the T-Bones next season.

HemiEd
11-08-2005, 11:05 AM
I think the Angels will lock him up, plus I don't see the need.

Well at least he will be out of the division that way.

siberian khatru
11-08-2005, 11:06 AM

We've got to stick with Alex Gordon and Justin Huber (and Billy Butler is probably best-suited to DH) and hope they pan out.

StcChief
11-08-2005, 11:07 AM
This is the year. World Series or bust.
I'll vote for bust.

HemiEd
11-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Justin Huber has the potential to be a beast. A true middle of the order, power bat. There's talk of Gordon playing first too since that's where he's at in the AFL, but if he doesn't end up at third, it makes more sense to me that he'd be in the outfield.

God willing, Harvey will be playing for the T-Bones next season.

Thanks, that helps my understanding. Harvey is the one that I was thinking of that needs replacing. The few games I did watch last year it looked like Sweeney was a man among boys.

What is that "top 40" term? "one hit wonder" he was a one year wonder in my opinion, but wish him the best with the T-Bones.

Demonpenz
11-08-2005, 11:11 AM
just save the money we aren't going anywhere this year

Pitt Gorilla
11-08-2005, 11:12 AM
This is exactly why I'd rather they bank the $22 million this year, and save it to the sign players we already have (that are worth signing) to long term deals.That seems like a good idea, given the FA "talent". Of course, fans would whine about Glass being cheap again...

Eleazar
11-08-2005, 11:16 AM
That seems like a good idea, given the FA "talent". Of course, fans would whine about Glass being cheap again...

Ahh I can't wait for the midseason threads...

"If we spent $20 million more we'd be contenders!", "Who cares if we get anything for our money, at least TRY!!", "Glass doesn't want to win" (I guess he loves losing millions every year even more)... "I'm done with this team" (but not done complaining incessantly...)

ChiTown
11-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Again, if it ain't out there, don't spend it. If we can get a legit #2 starter that can be our #1 (via a trade), I'm all fo it. Otherwise, save the cash for a while, and let's continue to build for the future.

BTW, there's not one corner OF in FA that I would want for this team. This is a shatty FA year....wouldn't you know it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-08-2005, 11:21 AM
just save the money we aren't going anywhere this year
I'm sure we could use the cash to put in more field level seats and luxury boxes for all of those fans that don't come out.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-08-2005, 11:23 AM
BTW, there's not one corner OF in FA that I would want for this team. This is a shatty FA year....wouldn't you know it.
It's a conspiracy. F**kin' Stinebrenner.

beavis
11-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks, that helps my understanding. Harvey is the one that I was thinking of that needs replacing. The few games I did watch last year it looked like Sweeney was a man among boys.

What is that "top 40" term? "one hit wonder" he was a one year wonder in my opinion, but wish him the best with the T-Bones.
If you get right down to it, even that half a year that got Harvey into the All-Star game wasn't that great. He's never been anything other than an overweight, slap hitter with no power.

shakesthecat
11-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Keep fu@king doubting Grimace!

beavis
11-08-2005, 11:34 AM
That seems like a good idea, given the FA "talent". Of course, fans would whine about Glass being cheap again...
People are stupid.

HemiEd
11-08-2005, 11:39 AM
If you get right down to it, even that half a year that got Harvey into the All-Star game wasn't that great. He's never been anything other than an overweight, slap hitter with no power.

His grip is the problem right? I do not know how he even swings with it that way.

beavis
11-08-2005, 11:45 AM
His grip is the problem right? I do not know how he even swings with it that way.
I think lack of talent is his problem.

KChiefs1
11-08-2005, 12:10 PM
This might sound stupid but why do they have to spend the money this year?

Everything I've read about the Royals young players points to 2007 as the year. Why not just pocket this $20 million this year & let it earn interest & spend it for 2007 when the Royals will be closer to realizing their potential?

shakesthecat
11-08-2005, 12:14 PM

Everything I've read about the Royals young players points to 2007 as the year. Why not just pocket this $20 million this year & let it earn interest & spend it for 2007 when the Royals will be closer to realizing their potential?

Because that's what a franchise run by competent baseball people would do.

Logical
11-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Jesus when will people learn, even if he spends wisely the best the Royals fans can hope for is a .500 team

beavis
11-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Jesus when will people learn, even if he spends wisely the best the Royals fans can hope for is a .500 team
Sincerely,
Florida Marlins
Oakland A's
Minnesota Twins
Cleveland Indians

ChiTown
11-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Sincerely,
Florida Marlins
Oakland A's
Minnesota Twins
Cleveland Indians

Don't bother. Vag is a hater.

Saulbadguy
11-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Worthless post.

Logical
11-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Sincerely,
Florida Marlins
Oakland A's
Minnesota Twins
Cleveland IndiansThose teams were built over year through sound highly productive farm systems, something the Royals are not able to duplicate. This team has no real base it has all moved on to other teams. Yes the farm system produces a player (sometimes even stars) but far to infrequently so that those players are spaced to far apart to build anything more than a .500 team.

Logical
11-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Worthless post.Really where is the historical proof post Ewing Kaufman that I am wrong?

Eleazar
11-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Playoff teams this year:

Yankees - $205 million
Red Sox - $123 million
Angels - $97 million
Cardinals - $92 million
Braves - $86 million
Astros - $76 million
White Sox - $75 million
Padres - $63 million

And before we start thinking, ok we need to spend $63 million because that got San Diego in, the Padres won a pitiful division where they were the only team with a winning record and finished at 82-80, a record that would not have been good enough to make the playoffs in any other division in either league.

tk13
11-08-2005, 02:31 PM

I honestly think Baird wants to do that. But I don't think Glass will let him. Glass is under too much pressure with decreasing ticket sales and fan feedback... people will be screaming bloody murder if he doesn't spend money. My biggest fear is Glass is going to turn into one of the fans and sabotage the whole thing.

beavis
11-08-2005, 02:56 PM

Those teams were built over year through sound highly productive farm systems, something the Royals are not able to duplicate. This team has no real base it has all moved on to other teams. Yes the farm system produces a player (sometimes even stars) but far to infrequently so that those players are spaced to far apart to build anything more than a .500 team.

So which is it? :hmmm:

Sure-Oz
11-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Just do something to help the team dont sign guys just for the hell of it. I wouldnt mind a slowly improving team, in a few years when the big guns come up it might be exciting.

Saulbadguy
11-08-2005, 03:54 PM
So which is it? :hmmm:
Does it really matter? He is a Yankees/Lakers/Notre Dame fan. I kinda wonder how he ended up rooting for the Chiefs. :hmmm:

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-08-2005, 04:17 PM
like three years ago...

sedated
11-08-2005, 04:21 PM

Brian Giles - old but a bad-ass.

Every year has been considered a bad FA year recently.

We should wait out the market, pick up some talent at the trade deadline, get 'em cheap and sign 'em up.

KChiefs1
11-10-2005, 11:47 AM
My "sources" say the Royals have inquired about Matt Morris & Rafael Furcal. Stay tuned.

Logical
11-10-2005, 12:11 PM
So which is it? :hmmm:Evidently your comprehension sucks because both of those statements agree. One is just more descriptive as to why it is true.

Logical
11-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Does it really matter? He is a Yankees/Lakers/Notre Dame fan. I kinda wonder how he ended up rooting for the Chiefs. :hmmm:Born in KC lived there or the immediate area the first 35 years of my life. Not a Yankees lover by the way, I just hate anything related to MLB now and the Yankees represent the destruction of MLB so I hope they continue to be successful so MLB is further destroyed.

siberian khatru
11-10-2005, 12:24 PM
My "sources" say the Royals have inquired about Matt Morris & Rafael Furcal. Stay tuned.

Yeah, I wrote Angelina Jolie a fan letter once, inquiring about her having sex with me. Shockingly, she turned me down.

beavis
11-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Evidently your comprehension sucks because both of those statements agree. One is just more descriptive as to why it is true.
You might try reading them again. You say in the first one that the best we can hope for is a .500 team, and then say that the other teams (playoff teams mind you) were built through their farm systems. Seems a little contradictory to me.

Saulbadguy
11-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Born in KC lived there or the immediate area the first 35 years of my life. Not a Yankees lover by the way, I just hate anything related to MLB now and the Yankees represent the destruction of MLB so I hope they continue to be successful so MLB is further destroyed.
So i'm assuming you love ND because you hate College Football...true? :)

Logical
11-10-2005, 01:46 PM
So i'm assuming you love ND because you hate College Football...true? :)No I learned to love ND growing up with Catholic parents who loved football. UCLA is even harder to explain.

Logical
11-10-2005, 01:48 PM
You might try reading them again. You say in the first one that the best we can hope for is a .500 team, and then say that the other teams (playoff teams mind you) were built through their farm systems. Seems a little contradictory to me.Dude farm systems are major investments, if your team is unwilling to spend major money on them you won't ever build a great system.

Brock
11-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Dude farm systems are major investments, if your team is unwilling to spend major money on them you won't ever build a great system.

Wow, what a surprise. Logical posts something that is 180 degrees from reality.

The Royals have, and always have had, one of the best farm systems in the league.

Take a look at how many players that were developed by KC are playing for playoff teams. In other words, know what you're talking about for a change.

tk13
11-10-2005, 02:07 PM
I believe Baird when he says they're going to go after all these people. Getting them on the other hand is a different story. If he can convince these big name guys to sign with a 106 loss team he's gonna pull off quite a feat.

tk13
11-10-2005, 02:54 PM
I was reading over on the Royals board, somebody posted a blurb from the Toronto Sun that said the Royals were reportedly offering Affeldt and possibly another player to the Blue Jays for Orlando Hudson. Not sure the Jays would go for that, but I would love to have a gold glove 2B.

siberian khatru
11-10-2005, 02:59 PM
I was reading over on the Royals board, somebody posted a blurb from the Toronto Sun that said the Royals were reportedly offering Affeldt and possibly another player to the Blue Jays for Orlando Hudson. Not sure the Jays would go for that, but I would love to have a gold glove 2B.

Guess it might depend on who the other player is, I assume it wouldn't be anybody major. Otherwise, hell yes I'd trade Affeldt for Hudson. It was either this year or last, but I saw him turn one of the greatest double plays I've ever seen.

As much as I used to like Affeldt, he appears to have been ruined by the Royals. I wouldn't be surprised if he blossomed somewhere else.

tk13
11-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Guess it might depend on who the other player is, I assume it wouldn't be anybody major. Otherwise, hell yes I'd trade Affeldt for Hudson. It was either this year or last, but I saw him turn one of the greatest double plays I've ever seen.

As much as I used to like Affeldt, he appears to have been ruined by the Royals. I wouldn't be surprised if he blossomed somewhere else.
I think the Sun speculated another pitcher. I'm not sure what the Jays farm system looks like, but if we got Hudson we could throw Gotay or Murphy in there, maybe...

beavis
11-10-2005, 03:10 PM
I think the Sun speculated another pitcher. I'm not sure what the Jays farm system looks like, but if we got Hudson we could throw Gotay or Murphy in there, maybe...
What's Hudson's story? I know nothing about him.

siberian khatru
11-10-2005, 03:11 PM
What's Hudson's story? I know nothing about him.

Buck Martinez says Hudson reminds him of Frank White. 'Nuff said.

ChiTown
11-10-2005, 03:12 PM

If we got Hudson for Affeldt and a scrub, that would be a coop of Biblical proportions. Either way, Affeldt is done in KC. You could see that the guy totally threw in the towel after he realized he wouldnt be the closer. fn puzzy

beavis
11-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Looking at his line from last year reminds me of Berroa. 30 Walks in 461 at bats last year. The last thing we need is another middle infielder that swings at pitches in the dirt.

ChiTown
11-10-2005, 03:13 PM

Yes, but does Hudson have any Minor League managerial capabilities......

beavis
11-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Yes, but does Hudson have any Minor League managerial capabilities......
If it means getting rid of Bell, I'd take him.

siberian khatru
11-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Looking at his line from last year reminds me of Berroa. 30 Walks in 461 at bats last year. The last thing we need is another middle infielder that swings at pitches in the dirt.

He walks more and strikes out less than Berroa. He's not an offensive force by any means, and I'd be happy to acquire one at 2B if one is available. Otherwise, I'll trade a ****ed-up pitcher for a 28-year-old brilliant defensive 2B.

KevB
11-10-2005, 03:27 PM

Baby steps. Hudson is a fabulous defender, which when added to our current infield, would give us.....well, one fabulous defender. It's a start. There aren't any better 2B out there in FA, so I'm all for this move. Give 'em Affeldt and Gobble and be done with it.

beavis
11-10-2005, 03:28 PM
He walks more and strikes out less than Berroa. He's not an offensive force by any means, and I'd be happy to acquire one at 2B if one is available. Otherwise, I'll trade a ****ed-up pitcher for a 28-year-old brilliant defensive 2B.
Well, I'd be impressed if anyone could find me someone worse than Berroa. My only point is, eventually, we're going to need some bats. We've got a lineup full of #9 hitters right now.

beavis
11-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Baby steps. Hudson is a fabulous defender, which when added to our current infield, would give us.....well, one fabulous defender. It's a start. There aren't any better 2B out there in FA, so I'm all for this move. Give 'em Affeldt and Gobble and be done with it.
Teahan isn't bad at third. I don't really care about first, and Berroa is... don't get me started.

I could live with it I guess. Can't be any worse than what we've got there already. I just know that I have to change the channel whenever Berroa comes up for fear of breaking my screen with the remote, I don't think I could handle another one like him.

siberian khatru
11-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Well, I'd be impressed if anyone could find me someone worse than Berroa. My only point is, eventually, we're going to need some bats. We've got a lineup full of #9 hitters right now.

Gordon and Butler will (hopefully) be impact bats. Huber and Lubanski hopefully can contribute. We should have bats in the OF and INF corners, and have strong D up the middle. Hudson would be a signifcant upgrade there.

Logical
11-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Wow, what a surprise. Logical posts something that is 180 degrees from reality.

The Royals have, and always have had, one of the best farm systems in the league.

Take a look at how many players that were developed by KC are playing for playoff teams. In other words, know what you're talking about for a change.LOL the players come out about every other year and are gone before even a 1/3 of a starting lineup and 2/5ths of a starting rotation can be filled. That is not a productive farm system. Oakland has a productive farm system where 4 starters and a 3 or more major pitchers showup in a single year or at most 2 years. KC has not had that kind of farm system since the 80s.

beavis
11-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Oakland has a productive farm system where 4 starters and a 3 or more major pitchers showup in a single year or at most 2 years.
:bong:

beavis
11-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Just read a rumor over on kcroyals.com board that says they might make a run at Jacque Jones. Anyone else think that'd be a great signing?

shakesthecat
11-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Just read a rumor over on kcroyals.com board that says they might make a run at Jacque Jones. Anyone else think that'd be a great signing?

Meh
Good, not great IMO

He'd certainly be an improvement defensively over Ironhands Brown.

beavis
11-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Meh
Good, not great IMO

He'd certainly be an improvement defensively over Ironhands Brown.
I think he's the best option out there that we can afford. Even if Brown shifted to left, I'd be ok with that.

tk13
11-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Yeah I'm not sure how much he'd hit in the K... I'd definitely take his defense though. We could do worse.

ChiTown
11-11-2005, 02:40 PM
I think he's the best option out there that we can afford. Even if Brown shifted to left, I'd be ok with that.

Jones made $5mm this year. Anyone know what he's due to make next year? BTW, I'd REALLY like this signing. A 30 year old lefty with Power, and a great fielder. Works for me......

shakesthecat
11-11-2005, 02:42 PM

Unfortunately, KC will prolly have to spend almost 10 mil per to get Jones. That's a bit steep for a modest upgrade.

I wouldn't mind Brian Giles either. He's a bit long in the tooth, but is still a solid player. And since he was with the Pirates last year, he used to playing on a crappy team.

Pitt Gorilla
11-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Jones made $5mm this year. Anyone know what he's due to make next year? BTW, I'd REALLY like this signing. A 30 year old lefty with Power, and a great fielder. Works for me......Jones is also a Royals killer. I'd take him at 6 million per.

beavis
11-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Unfortunately, KC will prolly have to spend almost 10 mil per to get Jones. That's a bit steep for a modest upgrade.

I wouldn't mind Brian Giles either. He's a bit long in the tooth, but is still a solid player. And since he was with the Pirates last year, he used to playing on a crappy team.
They are saying $5-$7 mil per for 3 years, but who knows.

I've always been a Giles fan too. He'd be a good stop gap until Gordon or Butler is ready.

ChiTown
11-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Jones is also a Royals killer. I'd take him at 6 million per.

Jones and a legit #2 (read: #1 for the Royals) starter for the Rotation would do wonders for what ails this team. With $22 MM to spend, we'd probably spend 80% of it with those 2 additions. Add Hudson at 2b, and we're starting to look like a ballclub.

beavis
11-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Jones and a legit #2 (read: #1 for the Royals) starter for the Rotation would do wonders for what ails this team. With $22 MM to spend, we'd probably spend 80% of it with those 2 additions. Add Hudson at 2b, and we're starting to look like a ballclub.
I just told someone this almost word for word. $22 million should be enough to get it done too. I'm really scared they are going to overpay for someone like Byrd, and get stuck under a multi-year contract for them.