PDA

View Full Version : It looks like many on this BB will get their wish!

Kylo Ren
11-09-2005, 03:10 PM
You wanted LJ as the starter. You said Priest was washed up. Now you've got what you wanted.

What do you think? Will this be good or bad for the offense? There will be no more splitting time. LJ will be "the man".

gblowfish
11-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Leon should hold out for a contract re-negotiation!
He should start pumping iron in his driveway.

King_Chief_Fan
11-09-2005, 03:15 PM
You wanted LJ as the starter. You said Priest was washed up. Now you've got what you wanted.

What do you think? Will this be good or bad for the offense? There will be no more splitting time. LJ will be "the man".

You make it sound like such a bad thing.
LJ has proven to be ready to step in when it was time.
It is time.

DV mis-handled the LJ thing from the begining. He made it sound like LJ was no where ready. He ignored the stats and proof and insisted that LJ only deserves 1 carry for every 2 for Priest rather than letting the situation dictate who runs when. If DV sticks around, I will gurantee you that LJ will be jumping ship. Now, getting to be the man may change that, don't know. DV needs to get out of dodge before Larry does.

Hammock Parties
11-09-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm worried about what happens if LJ gets hurt.

WilliamTheIrish
11-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Shut up Gunt(er).

Nobody wished for this.

LJ will start and run wild. The problem as I see it is LJ hasn't the shown the hands that Priest has shown for 4 seasons.
That will hurt us in the long run.

Hoover
11-09-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm worried about what happens if LJ gets hurt.
All teams worry about the starting running back getting hurt. We are lucky to have 2 top backs.

MOhillbilly
11-09-2005, 03:22 PM
im excited that LJ will start from here on out. Not only do i like his style better it will hopefully help in contract talks w/ LJ next year.
i thought all along that DV & CP should have cut PH 1st of the year to free cap monies for the D.

Brock
11-09-2005, 03:23 PM
It appears to me that Priest Holmes is cashed. So some of us were right.

wutamess
11-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Shut up Gunt(er).

Nobody wished for this.

LJ will start and run wild. The problem as I see it is LJ hasn't the shown the hands that Priest has shown for 4 seasons.
That will hurt us in the long run.

We can't possibly be talking about the same L.J. that almost took a short Trent Green pass to the house for 48 yards last Sunday.

Also, we can't possibly be talking about the same L.J. that had over 100 receiving yards last year against the Raiders when they shut down his run game, can we?

Dude... it was one game he missed 2 - 1 yard passes that would've resulted in 1 yard combined net yardage.

It's nothing 1 week on the jugs machine can't handle.
L.J. IS better than Priest and I've been saying it all year.

KCTitus
11-09-2005, 03:25 PM
It appears to me that Priest Holmes is cashed. So some of us were right.

No kidding...TJ was about 2 years ahead of everyone else.

Kylo Ren
11-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Clarifications:
I'm saying that there were many on this BB that wanted LJ to be the starter over Priest. That's a fact.

Many thought Priest had lost a 1/2 step and we'd be better off with LJ as the primary RB. That's a fact.

I am NOT say that anyone wanted Priest to be injured so that LJ could take over. No one wanted that.

I'm not taking sides yet on this discussion. I'm just throwing out the subject to be discussed.

Iowanian
11-09-2005, 03:26 PM
He also dropped at least 2 passes in the first half.

King_Chief_Fan
11-09-2005, 03:30 PM
He also dropped at least 2 passes in the first half.

The problem is the thrower, not the catcher:p

dirk digler
11-09-2005, 03:39 PM
I thought LJ should have been the starter from day one of training camp this year.

But this team will definitely miss the Priest and I will too.

This is a sad, sad day in KC Chiefs land.

Nelson Muntz
11-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Its better that we will have one and only one running back getting the majority of the carries. He should be able to find a rythym a lot easier now. I'm not sure if we're better off with LJ or with Priest being the main back but I guess we don't have a choice right now.

Rausch
11-09-2005, 03:45 PM
This might be the earliest in the year he's been done for the season and that's WITH him rotating in and out with LJ.

As sick as it is to admit it might be time to hang 'em up...

BIG_DADDY
11-09-2005, 03:49 PM
It looks like many on this BB will get their wish!".

Your leaving?

Nelson Muntz
11-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Your leaving?

Rep

Cormac
11-09-2005, 03:54 PM
We're lucky to have LJ to fill in, but Priest was (and is) the MAN, and I will miss the hell out of him. He has been the most exciting Chief to watch since DT in his prime.

~seriously bummed.

WilliamTheIrish
11-09-2005, 03:59 PM
We can't possibly be talking about the same L.J. that almost took a short Trent Green pass to the house for 48 yards last Sunday.

Also, we can't possibly be talking about the same L.J. that had over 100 receiving yards last year against the Raiders when they shut down his run game, can we?

Dude... it was one game he missed 2 - 1 yard passes that would've resulted in 1 yard combined net yardage.

It's nothing 1 week on the jugs machine can't handle.
L.J. IS better than Priest and I've been saying it all year.

You read too much into it. I'll be more specific.

Priest has shown he can catch and run. He's caught 60+ balls, (with a high of 72) in three consecutive seasons. Add to that the number of rushes Priest had and you can see the sheer number of touches Priest gets.

Do you think the organization will adjust the offense so that Larry gets 30 or so catches over the last 8 games to take the pressure off Green?

I don't think they will. That means Green will have to look to the WR's to get open quickly. I think that losing Holmes will spell more trouble for the offense.

LJ caught 22 balls last season in 10 games in a limited role. So you may well be right. But that's a TON of touches for a guy who (IMO) hasn't shown great hands.

htismaqe
11-09-2005, 04:05 PM
You read too much into it. I'll be more specific.

Priest has shown he can catch and run. He's caught 60+ balls, (with a high of 72) in three consecutive seasons. Add to that the number of rushes Priest had and you can see the sheer number of touches Priest gets.

Do you think the organization will adjust the offense so that Larry gets 30 or so catches over the last 8 games to take the pressure off Green?

I don't think they will. That means Green will have to look to the WR's to get open quickly. I think that losing Holmes will spell more trouble for the offense.

LJ caught 22 balls last season in 10 games in a limited role. So you may well be right. But that's a TON of touches for a guy who (IMO) hasn't shown great hands.

Hasn't shown great hands? He caught 41 passes as a senior at PSU, 2nd on the team to Bryant Johnson (48 catches) who went to the Cards in the 1st round...

Hammock Parties
11-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Hasn't shown great hands? He caught 41 passes as a senior at PSU, 2nd on the team to Bryant Johnson (48 catches) who went to the Cards in the 1st round...

I was waiting for you to chime in.

LJ didn't have a problem dropping passes last year. This Sunday was the first sign of trouble.

htismaqe
11-09-2005, 04:08 PM
I was waiting for you to chime in.

LJ didn't have a problem dropping passes last year. This Sunday was the first sign of trouble.

I chime in because I remember it distinctly. Iowa held him to 68 yards rushing in their game that year and still struggled because he caught 6 passes for 93 yards...

tk13
11-09-2005, 04:11 PM
I don't think LJ is quite as good with screen passes because he's not as shifty, but I'm not that worried about him catching the ball. I'm really not worried at all, LJ will be just fine, and the one good thing to it is that Al will hopefully get his head out and start running downhill more.

We need to have somebody to back him up and spell him from time to time though. He can't get every single carry for the rest of the season... well he could I guess but it would be a lot of work.

WilliamTheIrish
11-09-2005, 04:15 PM

Really? I didn't know that.

I figured that one of the reasons they kept him off the field was his hands.

I'll eat crow if need be.

penchief
11-09-2005, 04:17 PM

There may be some people that you could characterize as feeling that way but I think that is a mischaracterization of what many LJ advocates have been pining for.

I, for one, have never underestimated Priest's value to this team. I believe we are a far better team with Priest on it and when he is capable of doing his thing. My position was the LJ deserved more carries and might even have earned the right to be the starter. I have always felt that there would be situations in which utilizing Holmes would benefit the team more.

I took issue more with the fact that Johnson was being underutilized to the detriment of the season, the future of the team, and LJ's attitude toward the team. I also believed that Vermeil was being a major-league butthead about it. I never believed that Priest was washed up.

I want what Priest Holmes brings to the table. We need him on this team. It's just that I felt LJ was not being treated fairly and the coaching staff was not behaving professionally.

StcChief
11-09-2005, 04:24 PM
The new LJ era, as the feature back is here.

No matter he is getting the touches now. Might as well get him involved in all aspects of game.

Now going on his 2nd game of hopefully many more.

NJ Chief Fan
11-09-2005, 04:26 PM
lj will shine in his 2nd oppurtunity as the starter...its a damn shame to see priest go out for the season like this...but lj is one thing that priest is not and that is a bruiser...lj can mack truck defenders and you know what that does to a defense...it wears them out...and when they start to show some fatigue...your passing game becomes more affective...there for if al n dick use this method i wouldnt really worry bout our passing game in the future..you have to open up your passing game by pounding the ball first

htismaqe
11-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Really? I didn't know that.

I figured that one of the reasons they kept him off the field was his hands.

I'll eat crow if need be.

They kept him off the field, at least initially, because they said he couldn't handle to blocking schemes...

Eleazar
11-09-2005, 04:36 PM
This is not an advantage for us. There are probably not any backs in the NFL with better hands than Priest, fumble-wise. There are few who are as versatile in the passing game, though Johnson is getting better at that. Johnson is not as good of a blocker. Not as good at the goalline.

This doesn't help us or make us better. It takes away a player who at the very worst would have been great to have in all kinds of situations - even if he'd lost the feature back role to LJ.

This hurts us, make no mistake. But Johnson is good enough to where we can still win games and we aren't hosed like a lot of teams would be.

acasas4
11-09-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm worried about what happens if LJ gets hurt.Don't even talk like that. You could hex him. If he does get hurt I will blame you now.

beer bacon
11-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Just to get this out there LJ's stats receiving as a Chiefs are as follows:

32 receptions
395 yards
12.3 ypc
4 TDs

I think the question is if he can keep up a 12.3 ypc when he has 50+ receptions over the course of a season.

KcMizzou
11-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Shut up Gunt(er).

Nobody wished for this.
ROFL

Rep.

acasas4
11-09-2005, 04:48 PM
I know LJ can do the job but this team will miss Priest as will the fans. He has been the best player on the team since he came here despite the injuries. Beside that, IMO he has been a class act all the way. Sad day for Chiefs fans.

BIG_DADDY
11-09-2005, 05:55 PM
It looks like many on this BB will get their wish!".

You're finally ending it all?

BIG_DADDY
11-09-2005, 07:10 PM
You're finally ending it all?

Better yet your taking Denise with you.

philfree
11-09-2005, 08:51 PM

The last 5 games of 2004 when LJ was getting the bulk of the carries and three starts the Chiefs averaged something like 44 points a game and won 4 of the last 5. I wish we had Holmes healthy but I have no worries about or offense with LJ as the man. I wish we'd have brought Smith up off the practice squad instead of signing Dee Brown. I guess these guys know RBs though so it's hard to argue with them.

PhilFree:arrow:

Logical
11-09-2005, 09:30 PM
I was a recent convert, but this is certainly not the way I wanted it to happen.

Hope Priest has a nice offseason and makes a full recovery so he can come back and be our Faulk/Allen next year.

djplanb
11-09-2005, 09:55 PM
why can't Priest come back for a year or two (assuming everything is alright) in a Marcus Allen-type role - third downs and some short yardage? I say let the guy play as long as he wants.

wutamess
11-09-2005, 11:03 PM

Uh, isn't that what he's paid to do.
Now if you want to talk about sore spots... Trent may be it.
I've never been sold on his ability as a QB.

He's an average QB... now you're gonna tell me about how he's a stat God the last 4-5 years. Truth is... His stats were a by product of Holmes.

He's never been a QB to lead and take the team on his shoulders... for instance a couple of years ago when K.C. needed to win the last 2 games of the year and Priest was out... Trent couldn't do NOTHING.

Flame away.

philfree
11-09-2005, 11:41 PM

He's an average QB... now you're gonna tell me about how he's a stat God the last 4-5 years. Truth is... His stats were a by product of Holmes.

He's never been a QB to lead and take the team on his shoulders... for instance a couple of years ago when K.C. needed to win the last 2 games of the year and Priest was out... Trent couldn't do NOTHING.

Flame away.

Most QBs can't do anyting when they've got defenders drapped all over them. Trent is not a McNabb or Elway but he runs this O like no other can IMO. His stats are a product of a potent offensive scheme and a great O line more then they are a product of Holmes. Trent has a heart the size of the whole midwest. (Bigger than Texas.) I'm not gonna flame though. I hear and read things all the time that are just absolutely wrong...........It's just part of life :)

PhilFree:arrow:

Hammock Parties
11-10-2005, 03:37 AM
. for instance a couple of years ago when K.C. needed to win the last 2 games of the year and Priest was out... Trent couldn't do NOTHING.

Flame away.

And this is where you are wrong. Trent threw for over 300 yards in one of those games and we won.

The following sunday in Oakland it was raining like noah's ark was in the parking lot. Gannon sucked that day too. But Oakland ran the ball. We didn't.

Wallcrawler
11-10-2005, 04:38 AM
This wont be anything that Johnson cant handle.

Last season, the Chiefs played 8 games and lost Holmes for the season. Blaylock got the start for 2-3 games, and I think Johnson started the final 5 games.

This year, Johnson has had playing time during the season, so moving up to the starting spot for the final 8 games and hopefully playoffs shouldnt be anything that he hasnt seen before.

I hate this for Holmes. I love the guy, but maybe it is time to just hang em up before he really gets hurt. Even splitting time with L.J. he couldnt get through the full season healthy.

Its time for Johnson to show what he can do. This team is in position for a playoff run, and he thought he should have been the man all along.

Its his job to lose now. I really dont see Holmes beating out Johnson as the starter next year if he does return, if Johnson plays similar to the way he played in his starts last year. Not with the injury issues that Holmes has.

Skip Towne
11-10-2005, 08:37 AM
Priest was a great RB for us and was fun to watch. But we never won a playoff game with him. So I'm looking forward to the LJ era. Maybe he can do what Priest never did.

KCTitus
11-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Priest was a great RB for us and was fun to watch. But we never won a playoff game with him. So I'm looking forward to the LJ era. Maybe he can do what Priest never did.

Isnt LJ going to bolt for FA after this year?

Brock
11-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Isnt LJ going to bolt for FA after this year?

You almost got me. :)

WilliamTheIrish
11-10-2005, 09:12 AM

Flame away.

Flame away?

Where have I fllamed away on you? Or anybody for that matter?

I brought up what I felt were legitimate concerns about this team.

Nothing more.