PDA

View Full Version : KU

WestCoastReggie
11-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Prediction for this season?

chiefsfan987
11-09-2005, 08:14 PM
They're too young and inexperienced. I'll go with 16-11. This is the year that the winning streak at Manhattan will be snapped. I'm a fan of the hawks, but I'm not getting my hopes up because this year they're gonna struggle. I wouldn't be suprised to see them not make the NCAA's either.

WestCoastReggie
11-09-2005, 08:16 PM
You never know. We have a lot of talent. We actually could be top 15.

DJay23
11-09-2005, 08:17 PM
With our tough non-con and youth, we start the season off rocky. We'll be sub .500 going into conference games. I think our winning streak vs. KSU may be in jeapardy. Having said that, I think some of our youngsters will step up and take charge. We'll make a late run and get into the tournament as a 10-12 seed. We'll be hot to finish the season and be one of those teams no one wants in their bracket. Possibly Sweet 16, but I doubt we'd get out of the second round. I think this season will be a year to set our guys up for huge things next year.

Word is that starting spots are wide open. No one is guaranteed anything. Here's who I think will start the season, and who will end the season as starters:

J. Hawkins
Chalmers
Wright
Giles
Moody

End of year:

Chalmers
Rush
Wright
Giles
Kaun

Braincase
11-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Above .500

chiefsfan987
11-09-2005, 08:19 PM
I just noticed that their last conference game is @KSU instead of @ MU... whats up with that? I thought they always saved that game for last.

Skip Towne
11-09-2005, 08:21 PM
We've GOT to keep our Bramlege win streak alive. That's got to be one of the most embarrasing streaks in college history.

DJay23
11-09-2005, 08:22 PM
I just noticed that their last conference game is @KSU instead of @ MU... whats up with that? I thought they always saved that game for last.
That's only something they've done the last 5-6 years. I remember when I went to KU we played at Mizzou in late January and played K-State the last game.

DJay23
11-09-2005, 08:27 PM
We've GOT to keep our Bramlege win streak alive. That's got to be one of the most embarrasing streaks in college history.
Agreed. If they can't beat us this year, they should be evicted from Bramlage and forced to play in a barn somewhere in Salina or something.

leviw
11-09-2005, 08:32 PM
They're too young and inexperienced. I'll go with 16-11. This is the year that the winning streak at Manhattan will be snapped. I'm a fan of the hawks, but I'm not getting my hopes up because this year they're gonna struggle. I wouldn't be suprised to see them not make the NCAA's either.

Have you guys seen K-State's team this year??? They're not AS inexperienced as KU, but their inexperience is MUCH MUCH less talented.

CarolinaChiefz
11-09-2005, 08:38 PM
The Hawks will win it aLL, Baby!

woooOOOOOO!!!! SeLF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WestCoastReggie
11-09-2005, 08:43 PM
The Hawks will win it aLL, Baby!

woooOOOOOO!!!! SeLF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the year after that and the year after that......

cmh6476
11-09-2005, 08:48 PM
And the year after that and the year after that......
sounds good :thumb:

DJay23
11-09-2005, 09:01 PM
My expectations are that the team IMPROVES throughout the course of the year and gets some tournament experience. If we get that, we could be looking at back to back Final Fours again after this year.

CarolinaChiefz
11-09-2005, 09:30 PM
No way, Baby!!!!!!

NO team is gunna beat tha Hawks THIS yer.

WooooO!!!!!!! sELf!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCTrojan
11-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Solid top-half of Big 12. I think they'll win between 18-20, go to the tournament as a 10-14 seed and maybe win a game or two in the tourney.

irishjayhawk
11-09-2005, 11:33 PM
We look pretty similar to the 88 team, in the respects that we are flying under the radar. I think you should look at 20 wins and a lower than normal seed but that we go pretty far in the tourney.

CoMoChief
11-10-2005, 01:16 AM
I'd say with these guys they'll make the tourney. They won't start playing good ball until March, but it still wont be enough to come any close at all to win anything in March.

Bill Self purposely made the non conference schedule a cake walk besides Kentucky at home in order to build some kinda confidence for these young guns going into conference ball. This method of scheduling is constantly used by the Missouri Mens basketball program and its coaching staff. It goes something like this....

"Play a whole bunch of shitty non conference teams and squeak by 2/3's of them. Then when you've won your 20 games, youre still on the bubble because your wins arent impressive."

Imon Yourside
11-10-2005, 01:44 AM
I would say we have our work cut out for us starting in a couple weeks with the "Toughest field ever" in the Maui Classic.

CosmicPal
11-10-2005, 01:50 AM
WTF...I noticed they didn't even make the top 25 in preseason polls...I hope they prove all the critics wrong.

That's unheard of...

KCChiefsMan
11-10-2005, 02:41 AM
we're going to surprise some teams I think, we have a lot of talent, Michah Downs and Brandon Rush looked like studs tonight, I think we're gonna be pretty decent, we'll make the tourney and then I don;t think we'll go that far, but in a couple of years we will be really good because of it

Saulbadguy
11-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Have you guys seen K-State's team this year??? They're not AS inexperienced as KU, but their inexperience is MUCH MUCH less talented.
I don't know about that. Can't tell much from just one game from either of them.

sedated
11-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Sasha Kaun is a f*cking monster (if he can make his free throws)

sedated
11-10-2005, 08:35 AM
KU will get better every game.

They have SO much talent it's unbeleivable.

They will make the tourney, no question, and depending on seed (6-8), they will pull an upset.

teedubya
11-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Im pleased with the talent level of our team, and I feel that as the season moves on, we will grow that much better. Going to the Maui Classic is going to be awesome, it will wake the guys up, and make them practice that much harder so they move up into the elite teams range.

I forsee a 5-6 seed in NCAA tourney, and I dont foresee more than 8 losses from this group. Too much talent, and they are coachable.

Skip Towne
11-10-2005, 08:49 AM
We look pretty similar to the 88 team, in the respects that we are flying under the radar. I think you should look at 20 wins and a lower than normal seed but that we go pretty far in the tourney.
Pretty similar? One major difference. No Danny Manning. I'll be happy to make the Dance.

Imon Yourside
11-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Plus we had Milt Newton powa in 88', I don't think we resemble the 88' team at all. We have tons more talent right now but No one as good as Manning, especially an experienced one.

ArrowheadHawk
11-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Plus we had Milt Newton powa in 88', I don't think we resemble the 88' team at all. We have tons more talent right now but No one as good as Manning, especially an experienced one.
how bout more like syracuse when the beat us....rush could be our carmelo

ChiTown
11-10-2005, 09:43 AM

:rolleyes:

You look NOTHING like the '88 team. The '88 team had lots more experience, but just didn't have cumilative talent that the 05/06 KU team has. In addition, there's no one on this team with Danny Manning-like star power. Last, the '88 team had tremendous role players that knew how they could best contribute to get W's. I see a major power struggle brewing on your current team, especially amongst the youngn's.

beavis
11-10-2005, 09:47 AM
I predict I'll hate them as much as ever.

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Carmelo was unstoppable because he could outmuscle any 3 in college and outquick any 4. While he's ridiculously athletic, and very polished (hey, he is like 30, right?), I don't think Rush has the size or strength to create similar matchup problems.

I'll look forward to seeing how Micah "Someone feed me please" Downs looks once he faces more physical competition.Same with Kaun.

A few questions, as an interested college basketball observer:
Is Rodrick Stewart eligible yet? If so, did he play, and how did he look?
Can Kaun and Giles play at the same time?

irishjayhawk
11-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Clarification - I didn't mean we look (as a team) like the 88 team. I was merely trying to say that we look the same in the respect that both teams were underrated throughout the season, hence "in the respects that we are flying under the radar."

I wasn't comparing the talent on each team. Sorry if it came out that way.

ChiTown
11-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Clarification - I didn't mean we look (as a team) like the 88 team. I was merely trying to say that we look the same in the respect that both teams were underrated throughout the season, hence "in the respects that we are flying under the radar."

I wasn't comparing the talent on each team. Sorry if it came out that way.

Irish

The '88 team didn't fly under anyones radar, they just weren't extremely talented outside of Manning. You got to remember, that team lost 10 games, and was lucky to make the NCAA field as a 6 seed. They got hot, and caught a few breaks in the tourney, and ran to the Championship.

Lzen
11-10-2005, 12:04 PM
I think this team is gonna suprise some folks. Sure, they are young and inexperienced. That will cost them some games. I still think we'll get 18-20 wins and a 6-8 seed in the NCAA tourney by the time all is said and done. Rush looked very impressive last night. So did Kaun and Giles. Kaun needs to work on his FTs, though. Micah Downs didn't play a whole lot and didn't really do much, either. That doesn't mean much at this stage. He could easily blow up the next game. He is gonna have to gain some weight, though.

Lzen
11-10-2005, 12:05 PM
duncan, I don't know if Roderick Stewart is eligible yet. He didn't play last night.

KChiefs1
11-10-2005, 12:10 PM
NIT

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 12:18 PM
I still don't understand why Self wanted Stewart to transfer in... it really makes no sense. kU has plenty of athletic swingmen... and though Stewart is hugely talented, he's a lockeroom cancer.

And if he isn't eligible until December, that could be even more of a problem... Stewart forcing his way into the rotation after it has been set? Could be ugly...

Of course, I would have no problem with that.

Downs has a nice shot, but I doubt he'll be able to handle the physicality of the Big 12 this season. Same deal with Wright, especially if he's playing power forward.

Kaun looks like a hard worker and good technician from what I've seen. But kU's frontcourt still looks awfullly thin compared to Texas and Oklahoma.ISU's backcourt is better... and Texas Tech's may be, with Zeno and Jackson.

Should be an interesting year in the Big 12... oh, and for anyone who cares for some MU news... keep an eye on Marshall Brown; the Tigers are NIT-bound at best, but Brown could become a big star. He's hitting the glass harder, and has improved his ball handling a lot.

Lzen
11-10-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't know if what you're saying about Stewart is true or not. Perhaps that's just wishful thinking of a Mizzou fan.
I agree that Downs will struggle the physicality inside. At the same time, opponents' #4 will struggle trying to guard him on the outside.
Wright is athletic enough to make up for his smaller frame, IMO.
ISU's and TT's backcourt may be more experienced, but I don't know if I'd say better. With some experience, KU's backcourt is going to be very, very good.

Saulbadguy
11-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Re: Allen Field House Renovations

1. They blasted off all the soot, looks much cleaner.
2. The court is much brighter with the new lighting system. Floor looks nice.
3. Videoboard is great.
4. Soundsystem is TERRIBLE. Don't know if they need to work the kinks out, but you literally could not understand a word the guy was saying most of the time.
5. Benches/chairs looked nice, repainted.

Saulbadguy
11-10-2005, 12:56 PM
I don't know if what you're saying about Stewart is true or not. Perhaps that's just wishful thinking of a Mizzou fan.
I agree that Downs will struggle the physicality inside. At the same time, opponents' #4 will struggle trying to guard him on the outside.
Wright is athletic enough to make up for his smaller frame, IMO.
ISU's and TT's backcourt may be more experienced, but I don't know if I'd say better. With some experience, KU's backcourt is going to be very, very good.

ISU..they lost to EA Sports on Saturday night (Same team KSU/Creighton/Providence beat), with a 20-73 shooting effort. Stinson played like shit.

Reaper16
11-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Is Rodrick Stewart eligible yet? If so, did he play, and how did he look?

Stewart isn't eligible until second semester due to when he transfered from USC.

irishjayhawk
11-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Re: Allen Field House Renovations

1. They blasted off all the soot, looks much cleaner.
2. The court is much brighter with the new lighting system. Floor looks nice.
3. Videoboard is great.
4. Soundsystem is TERRIBLE. Don't know if they need to work the kinks out, but you literally could not understand a word the guy was saying most of the time.
5. Benches/chairs looked nice, repainted.
The sound system was good a times but overall disappointing.

ArrowheadHawk
11-10-2005, 02:52 PM
The sound system was good a times but overall disappointing.
probably on next years list

Saulbadguy
11-10-2005, 02:53 PM
probably on next years list
No. The sound system is brand new. Came with the renovations this offseason. It just sucked, even for brand new. It might need adjustments/fine tuning.

irishjayhawk
11-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Irish

The '88 team didn't fly under anyones radar, they just weren't extremely talented outside of Manning. You got to remember, that team lost 10 games, and was lucky to make the NCAA field as a 6 seed. They got hot, and caught a few breaks in the tourney, and ran to the Championship.
Well then, I guess I have intrepreted the story wrong. I was only 1 at the time so an ancedote doesn't really help.

I always thought we were a "Cinderella story" type team. Manning obviously being the best player.

So, scratch my comparisons to the 88 team as it seems it just makes me look foolish. :)

irishjayhawk
11-10-2005, 02:55 PM
No. The sound system is brand new. Came with the renovations this offseason. It just sucked, even for brand new. It might need adjustments/fine tuning.
I think some acoustic panels would work wonders. Right now there are too many speakers going different directions that seem to collide with eachother, thus jumbling it up. But I'm no expert.

Imon Yourside
11-10-2005, 03:01 PM
I do think B-Rush looks a lot like Paul Pierce, only time will tell if he's anywhere near as good tho.

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Lzen,

From what I've heard, everyone at USC hated playing with Stewart because he was a selfish, lazy ball hog who just wanted to shoot threes and didn't drive enough and also was a selfish, spoiled brat. Sound like any current kU players? Like, a certain one who has a tendency to get stabbed?

Notice I said EVERYONE hated playing with Stewart? That includes his twin brother... if his twin can't even stand him...

I just don't understand why Self would introduce that type of person to a backcourt that would seem to be full with Downs, Rush, Robinson and Chalmers... and isn't there another guy I'm forgetting?

It's not just wishful thinking... the person I talked to about this has been around Stewart at USC and also talked to Bibby and some other players about it after Stewart transferred.

So I'll have an eye on kU's chemistry... Downs' thing at the McDonald's AA game also makes me wonder about him (another Padgett?), and Chalmers seems to be a shoot first point.

We'll see how Wright does against Gray/Bookout and Buckman/Aldridge... giving up 2 inches, tons of experience, and a lot of strength is not a good combination.

ChiTown
11-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Well then, I guess I have intrepreted the story wrong. I was only 1 at the time so an ancedote doesn't really help.

I always thought we were a "Cinderella story" type team. Manning obviously being the best player.

So, scratch my comparisons to the 88 team as it seems it just makes me look foolish. :)

Look, the only way I know all this is because I was finishing up my last year at KSU at the time. I was a heartbroken man after the Midwest Finals in Pontiac, MI. When KU beat KSU to go to the final 4, I nearly cried myself to sleep for a month afterwards. KSU had knocked off the #1 seeded team in the Tourney - Purdue, prior to the KU game. I thought we'd cruise by KU as we had already beaten them 2x that year.......... :deevee: Fooking Scooter Barry!!! :cuss:

schneider221
11-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Lzen,

From what I've heard, everyone at USC hated playing with Stewart because he was a selfish, lazy ball hog who just wanted to shoot threes and didn't drive enough and also was a selfish, spoiled brat. Sound like any current kU players? Like, a certain one who has a tendency to get stabbed?

Notice I said EVERYONE hated playing with Stewart? That includes his twin brother... if his twin can't even stand him...

I just don't understand why Self would introduce that type of person to a backcourt that would seem to be full with Downs, Rush, Robinson and Chalmers... and isn't there another guy I'm forgetting?

It's not just wishful thinking... the person I talked to about this has been around Stewart at USC and also talked to Bibby and some other players about it after Stewart transferred.

So I'll have an eye on kU's chemistry... Downs' thing at the McDonald's AA game also makes me wonder about him (another Padgett?), and Chalmers seems to be a shoot first point.

We'll see how Wright does against Gray/Bookout and Buckman/Aldridge... giving up 2 inches, tons of experience, and a lot of strength is not a good combination.

stewart doesnt remind me of any me of any current ku players who have been stabbed... as far as i know noone on the team has been stabbed.... now u might have a point if JR was still on the team but even then i think ill take bill self and what he is doing over someone who knows someone who was close to the USC program.

I keep seeing you say the freshmen will have bad chemistry but if you read any articles about them the whole team has been amazed on how unselfish they are, they just want to win. if you watched the game last night they made the extra pass on certain plays, something jr or kieth would not have done last year. also last year was FULL of chemistry problems between many players(Keith/JR, Keith/Aaron, Micheal-Aaron-Keith/ Wayne, and even Keith/Coach Self) not to mention Galindo who was thrown out of practice many times and noone seemed to like all that much. Hawkins said earlier in the year that the team has GREAT chemistry this year and compared to last year everyone enjoys everyone..... so if i were you id be a little more cautious with claiming bad chemistry

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 03:31 PM
I didn't say they had bad chemistry... I said I would have an eye on the chemistry... to see if it would become a problem.That I could see it possibly becoming a problem because they have one proven locker room headache in Stewart, and a guy I see as a potential one in Downs (because of his pouting and his parents' posturing at the McD AA games).

And I should have said "recent" instead of "current"... that's my fault. I know Gooden is at New Mexico now... and as long as he stays away from Wal-Mart and dance clubs, he should be fine.

royr17
11-10-2005, 03:35 PM
And I should have said "recent" instead of "current"... that's my fault. I know Gooden is at New Mexico now... and as long as he stays away from Wal-Mart and dance clubs, he should be fine.

Its not Gooden at New Mexico, it's Giddens at New Mexico.

schneider221
11-10-2005, 03:36 PM
roy beat me

royr17
11-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Im thinking Brandon Rush is a more better mode of Paul Pierce IMHO.

royr17
11-10-2005, 03:39 PM
roy beat me

Ha ha, sorry bud.

Imon Yourside
11-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Im thinking Brandon Rush is a more better mode of Paul Pierce IMHO.

If for no other reason than he was never a focul part of the offense, he got most of his buckets through the garbage. The deceptive quickness, smoothness and multiple abilities to drive or stop and pop are gonna make this a fun year to watch.

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 03:42 PM
errors all around... I need to hire a copy editor or something.

:)

So I got sloppy... my bad... but the point still is valid.

Self portrayed GIDDENS (got myself that time) as a bad influence on team chemistry, or at least that's the impression I got from stories in the Star surrouding the human pincushion's departure.

Adding a player of similar makeup, on the court and off, seems unwise... that's all I'm saying.

Saulbadguy
11-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Giddens will be at Bramlage coliseum November 23rd. Bwah hah. I doubt he will get a warm reception, although he will be on the bench the entire game.

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Roy,

?"more better mode"?

You're going to correct me on a players' name, then spew that bastardization of the language?

:rolleyes:
:shake:

schneider221
11-10-2005, 03:51 PM
B Rush does look alot like Pierce, you also got to remember he is like 20 years old since he went to prep schools so hes not your everyday freshmen.

Also i cant believe how many people i heard last night saying.."Wow he is not as selfish as i thought" and "i thought he would be a bad teammate" just because of his last name... i think brandon is here to prove he isnt as selfish as his brother jaron.... on another note Kareem is the one and only MU player i always repected

Reaper16
11-10-2005, 03:51 PM
I didn't say they had bad chemistry... I said I would have an eye on the chemistry... to see if it would become a problem.That I could see it possibly becoming a problem because they have one proven locker room headache in Stewart, and a guy I see as a potential one in Downs (because of his pouting and his parents' posturing at the McD AA games).

Heh, Gooden is playing with LeBron in Cleveland.

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Reaper... umm... scroll down.

schneider221
11-10-2005, 03:57 PM
duncan did u see Klieza...that freak grew his hair out...wow

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Linas has abandoned the skinhead look? I'm gonna have to check that out...

schneider221
11-10-2005, 04:03 PM
i just found a picture and while he has some hair he still is a skin head.... it must have been a case of mistaken identity on the announcers part

Lzen
11-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Well if that's the case, Stewart could possibly become a problem. Or perhaps he'll learn from his experience and try to play nicely with others. Who knows at this point? And I gotta admit that the stuff with Downs at the McD's game concerned me. Hopefully, all of this stuff is just immaturity and these guys will grow up this year. Frankly, it can't get much worse than last year with the way it ended and the crap with Giddens. I'm hoping that this KU team can put all that behind them.

Imon Yourside
11-10-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm hoping that this KU team can put all that behind them.

Except for the fact they have nothing to put behind them, it's a whole new team and so far they look to have some nice chemistry developing.

sedated
11-10-2005, 04:07 PM
The team looked very unselfish, especially Downs. He had some great feeds.

If Stewart acts like a b!tch, Bill will treat him like a b!tch - a b!tch that rides the pine.

Reaper16
11-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Reaper... umm... scroll down.

I did. All I saw were more posts? :shrug: :)

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 04:32 PM
At least two people had already called me on that. Just pointing out that you were a little late to the party, that's all.

Of course, that doesn't excuse my mistake... whoops. But you can understand how I could confuse Gooden and Giddens... they're both selfish players who would rather play outside than get inside, get dirty and get to the free throw line.

Sully
11-10-2005, 04:35 PM
At least two people had already called me on that. Just pointing out that you were a little late to the party, that's all.

Of course, that doesn't excuse my mistake... whoops. But you can understand how I could confuse Gooden and Giddens... they're both selfish players who would rather play outside than get inside, get dirty and get to the free throw line.

I'm about as big a Mizzou fan as there is, but we have no room to call out another player for not going to the hoop with the way our team plays...
I'd say that Paulding was the worst at it, but it seems once players get to Columbia, they forget the directions to the net (though I do like what I've seen out of Lyons so far).

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Sully,

No arguments from me there. McKinney and Gardner seem to be focusing more on driving unless they're wide, wide open, which is a good sign.

Sully
11-10-2005, 04:37 PM
McKinney should be driving every chance he gets. Gardner seems great on the break.

Reaper16
11-10-2005, 04:53 PM

Well, I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I was juts pointing out that Gooden is in the NBA now. This had not been mentioned.

But I will have to point out that you may not have any clue what you're talking about. I'm an MU fan, too, but do you know how any KU players actually play? Gooden was not an outside 1st shooter. He had exactly 62 3 point attempts his whole career. Giddens had 187 last season. I don't think that your description fits Drew Gooden.

duncan_idaho
11-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Reaper,

I do have a clue what I'm talking about. Roy Williams always complained about Gooden wanting to face the basket rather than go down on the block and post up. Gooden always talked about wanting to play the 3 in the NBA. I saw Williams yank Gooden and sit him down for shooting 3s outside the flow of the offense several times. Most of the time, Williams forced him to play inside... but he did so unwillingly. Hence the "would rather play outside" ... and playing outside doesn't necessarily mean shooting 3s. I drew a comparison because neither player took full advantage of their ability to get better, closer shots—for Gooden, shots from the post. For Giddens, mid-range jumpers and drives.

Ask the fans of any NBA team Gooden has played for, and they'll tell you he is not a presence inside on offense. He has good low-post ability, but he doesn't use it as much as he could/should.

CoMoChief
11-10-2005, 05:49 PM
I actually miss Jeff Graves.