PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Money will drive Holme$' career plans

tk13
11-10-2005, 02:12 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13127175.htm

Money will drive Holmes’ career plans
JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

Bruises are a lot like the concept of playing sports for the love of the game: They go away.

Priest Holmes, as best we can tell, has a bruise/injury that is affecting his back or spine. If you play football (or just about any sport) long enough, there’s a pretty good chance you’ll suffer an injury that causes discomfort in your back.

Mike Sweeney has been playing baseball with back pain for the last few years. I’m sure there are doctors who would tell Sweeney he’s foolish for continuing to play. An honest doctor would tell any athlete that it’s foolish to play football at all. Every football player — high school, collegian or pro — is always one violent collision away from being carried off the field.

I mention this because I listened to Carl Peterson’s and Dick Vermeil’s impromptu press conference discussing Holmes’ latest season-ending injury, and I understand their reluctance to label Holmes’ injury as career-ending.

“At this time, we consider this not to be a career-ending injury,” Peterson said.

Bruises go away. Contracts don’t. So the Chiefs have placed Holmes on injured reserve and announced their intention to have him re-examined in 30 days. Peterson said that doctors have led him to believe that Holmes will completely recover.

Of course, that doesn’t mean Holmes will play football again.

As I listened to Peterson and Vermeil on Wednesday afternoon, I heard two football businessmen justifiably posturing. They were respectful and supportive of Holmes, but they accurately painted the picture that if Holmes exits the NFL after this season, it should be viewed as a voluntary retirement … unless doctors find a more significant injury.

And if Holmes retires, the Chiefs would have a right to ask for a portion of the bonus money they committed to Holmes before the 2003 season. If Holmes suffered a football-related injury that prevented him from playing again, then the Chiefs couldn’t ask for a return of their money.

My take, and this is purely opinion, is that Holmes wants to walk away from football as long as he can get out with all of his money. Holmes has always been more businessman than football player. Holmes has never had the kind of deep, Ray Lewis, Mike Maslowski love of football.

What drove Holmes his first two years in Kansas City was his desire to land a new, restructured contract. After one year in Kansas City, he dumped his agent, signed a new one and started asking the Chiefs for more money. He landed a new deal before his third season in KC, and he put together a record-breaking year to justify the new deal.

Since then, Holmes has struggled with motivation, contemplated retirement and been a total mystery to Vermeil and Peterson. They have no idea what he’s thinking day to day. On Wednesday, Vermeil was reduced to quoting Holmes’ father about Holmes’ injury. Vermeil blamed the local media for Holmes’ enigmatic behavior concerning this latest season-ending injury.

My belief is Holmes has proved all he wants to prove as it relates to football. He won a Super Bowl with Baltimore. He established himself as a great player in Kansas City. He got paid.

At age 32 and with no more new-contract leverage thanks to Larry Johnson, Holmes would much rather munch nachos in a stadium suite than practice three hours a day with Vermeil. Holmes is not much different from his old Texas teammate Ricky Williams. They play football because they’re good at it, not because they love the game.

I’m not trying to belittle the potential significance of Holmes’ health concerns. But when you play football, you get bruised everywhere and you ignore the risk. My roommate in college, a 160-pound cornerback, hurt his neck and shoulder in a game his junior year, and his left arm was paralyzed for 10 days. Doctors suggested that he shouldn’t play his senior year. He started and played every game.

I’m sure there are doctors who think Tedy Bruschi is crazy, playing nine months after suffering a stroke.

The Chiefs should just move on and acknowledge that Holmes somewhat outsmarted them at the negotiating table before the 2003 season. And we should all give Carl Peterson credit for drafting Larry Johnson. Maybe Carl had Holmes figured out long ago.

the Talking Can
11-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Holmes is not much different from his old Texas teammate Ricky Williams.

and I thought Whitlock had already reached rock bottom....

KChiefsQT
11-10-2005, 02:26 AM
what a ****ing idiot.

philfree
11-10-2005, 02:27 AM
That article is complete bull shit ROFL A bunch of made up tripe for the most part. I wish to hell Whitlock would get a full time gig at ESPN so he'd vacate the KC area and his job with the Star. What a tard :shake:

PhilFree:arrow:

Spicy McHaggis
11-10-2005, 02:35 AM
My roommate in college, a 160-pound cornerback,

Well based on this we can see this whole article is a lie. Whitlock has never been in close proximity with anything 160-pounds and not eaten it. I just hope to God the kid got the top bunk.

In a serious note we have an article yesterday saying he can feel sympathy for TO and today he questions the anti-Owens Holmes. Wow, how the mediocre have fallen.

Rausch
11-10-2005, 02:36 AM
JoPo VS. Whitlock.

All in the same newsday...

|Zach|
11-10-2005, 02:39 AM
what a ****ing idiot.How so?

Rausch
11-10-2005, 02:41 AM
How so?

Some people still think Holmes won't be back next year, so they're a bit sentimental...

Dunit35
11-10-2005, 02:54 AM
Well based on this we can see this whole article is a lie. Whitlock has never been in close proximity with anything 160-pounds and not eaten it. I just hope to God the kid got the top bunk.
In a serious note we have an article yesterday saying he can feel sympathy for TO and today he questions the anti-Owens Holmes. Wow, how the mediocre have fallen.

ROFL ROFL ROFL HAHAHA, REP

tk13
11-10-2005, 02:55 AM
How so?
You think Holmes didn't care about football at all?

|Zach|
11-10-2005, 02:57 AM
You think Holmes didn't care about football at all?I don't believe that...I also don't believe that is what the column is trying to put out.

Miles
11-10-2005, 02:59 AM
You think Holmes didn't care about football at all?

Yeah I couldn't agree with that either. The examples the article cites as to why Holmes doesn't care are weak at best.

Also I can't blame Preist if he comes back for financial reasons either. It seems that Faulk did much of the same thing and both him an Preist appear to have a similar desire for the game.

Rausch
11-10-2005, 03:00 AM
I don't believe that...I also don't believe that is what the column is trying to put out.

I belive that if if this thread gets more replies than JoPo's article about the Her-ca-lees that is Priest I'll have to eviscerate some ****ers with a pocket knife....

KChiefsQT
11-10-2005, 03:01 AM
How so?
I'm just being a bitter bitch.

tk13
11-10-2005, 03:01 AM
I don't believe that...I also don't believe that is what the column is trying to put out.
You don't?

Holmes has always been more businessman than football player. Holmes has never had the kind of deep, Ray Lewis, Mike Maslowski love of football.

If this column had a thesis statement, I think that'd be it.

|Zach|
11-10-2005, 03:02 AM
You don't?

If this column had a thesis statement, I think that'd be it.Ehh, you typed "Doesn't care about football at all."

tk13
11-10-2005, 03:04 AM
Ehh, you typed "Doesn't care about football at all."
You know what I meant. Good job of taking it literally and completely avoiding the point.

Rausch
11-10-2005, 03:05 AM
If this column had a thesis statement, I think that'd be it.

I really wanna' kick ewe inna' baows...

KChiefsQT
Holmes has a love for the game. I think JW has been paying more attention to the hotdogs and cheetos during football season...rather than to the game. Dildo!!!

|Zach|
You know what I meant. Good job of taking it literally and completely avoiding the point.I am not trying to be obtuse...the comment seemed ridiculous...

What Whitlock wrote that you quoted I agree with.

luv
11-10-2005, 03:06 AM
It sounds to me that they would be better off sending him to a doctor who will advise him to retire if they don't want to give him anymore money. That way, if he chooses to play another year and does so poorly, then they can say that he only stayed for the money, not for love of the game. This reporter seems to be buying into that thought process. They just don't know what he's going to do, so they're speculating.

tk13
11-10-2005, 03:07 AM
I am not trying to be obtuse...the comment seemed ridiculous...

What Whitlock wrote that you quoted I agree with.
Why do you think that?

|Zach|
11-10-2005, 03:10 AM
Why do you think that?I appreciate everything Holmes has done for this team...over all these years...he did everything he could to make this team a great one...

Having said that it just seems he has always been interested in the money first and was kind of a glory hound. How many times did he talk about the personal stats he wanted to achieve...

And how about the TeamPriest thing...

I personally don't see this as an attack. The guy got things done on the field. It just seems as though a lot of the things listed above having to do with money was bigger.

Rausch
11-10-2005, 03:14 AM
My take, and this is purely opinion, is that Holmes wants to walk away from football as long as he can get out with all of his money. Holmes has always been more businessman than football player. Holmes has never had the kind of deep, Ray Lewis, Mike Maslowski love of football.

I will never forget the way Holmes chased Houston’s Marcus Coleman for 99 yards in a heroic and futile attempt to stop him from scoring on an interception. That was classic Priest Holmes. Everyone who plays pro football cares. He cared a little more.

That's the summation of both men's statements.

Who do you believe?...

tk13
11-10-2005, 03:21 AM
I appreciate everything Holmes has done for this team...over all these years...he did everything he could to make this team a great one...

Having said that it just seems he has always been interested in the money first and was kind of a glory hound. How many times did he talk about the personal stats he wanted to achieve...

And how about the TeamPriest thing...

I personally don't see this as an attack. The guy got things done on the field. It just seems as though a lot of the things listed above having to do with money was bigger.
Yeah, I don't know. I mean you have some good points.. but if Priest really wanted to be a glory hound, he could've been TO times 1000. He was that good. He could've been on every billboard and episode of SportsCenter. I don't fault him for wanting to get paid in '03... he earned that, he wasn't like a lot of star athletes who were handed a ton of money before ever playing a down. That was his one shot to set himself for life, I can't think of many people who would pass that opportunity, he earned it by being the best in his field. And even then he really wasn't paid probably what he was worth. I mean I don't think he was Mother Teresa of the NFL but he was better than a lot of people, I don't think he was that bad. We'd all probably be disappointed in the number of guys who do this just to make money... at least Priest gave it his all when he got between the lines.

Rausch
11-10-2005, 03:23 AM
Priest gave it his all when he got between the lines.

That's all I saw and all I care about...

Hammock Parties
11-10-2005, 04:15 AM
This has a certain ring of truth to it.

I've always wondered if Priest was as motivated as he should be after winning a Super Bowl in Baltimore.

Pants
11-10-2005, 04:21 AM
Don't worry tk, I think Zach just likes to take the opposite position. Just the 99 yard chase quoted by Rausch proves him wrong. Would TO (a good example of a hard working glory hound) chase him? Hahahahaha.

|Zach|
11-10-2005, 04:30 AM
Don't worry tk, I think Zach just likes to take the opposite position. Just the 99 yard chase quoted by Rausch proves him wrong. Would TO (a good example of a hard working glory hound) chase him? Hahahahaha.How is it the oppisite position...I don't think im that much of a minority...

I am glad you enjoyed hearing him talk about how he should start of people's fantasy teams and about all of his indivudal accomplishments he had his sights set on.

I have no qualms with his on the field play. None.

Pants
11-10-2005, 04:37 AM
How is it the oppisite position...I don't think im that much of a minority...

I am glad you enjoyed hearing him talk about how he should start of people's fantasy teams and about all of his indivudal accomplishments he had his sights set on.

I have no qualms with his on the field play. None.

I heard him apologizing for the season he got hurt and screwed a lot of FF players. He then said it'd be safe to get him this time, not that "he should start."

Setting an incredible individual accomplishement goal is natural for an extremelly good player, and in no way would it hurt the team if he scored more TD's, unlike TG catching 100 passes, which could possibly alter the winning scheme..

You're agreeing with Whitlock that he cared more about money than football/his team, that is simply not true, IMO. But then again, neither me, nor you, nor Whitlock know Priest Holmes. Posnanski is as close as it comes...

|Zach|
11-10-2005, 04:40 AM
I am agreeing with Whitlock thats right...the idea that puts me in the camp that says "Holmes didn't care about football or didn't get it done between the lines" is crazy

Pants
11-10-2005, 04:44 AM
I am agreeing with Whitlock thats right...the idea that puts me in the camp that says "Holmes didn't care about football or didn't get it done between the lines" is crazy

I didn't say that. You're agreeing with "Holmes cares more about money than football/his team."

I guess that's why he played his whole career never getting payed. He got payed after 3 years in KC.

The idea (proposed by Whitlock) that he only played so well in 2002-2003 was to impress CFO and get a big contract makes me sick. That is simply more bullshit from Whitlock.

|Zach|
11-10-2005, 04:50 AM
I didn't say that. You're agreeing with "Holmes cares more about money than football/his team."
I believe that. But in believing that I don't believe he doesn't care about football or the team.

This isnt an all or nothing thing in my mind.

Pants
11-10-2005, 04:57 AM
I believe that. But in believing that I don't believe he doesn't care about football or the team.

This isnt an all or nothing thing in my mind.

You can stop saying that. I know you don't mean that and I never said that either, no one is as stupid to believe you're saying that. The word you need to look at is "more", as in he cares about money more than...

I'm not saying he doesn't care about money (who doesn't?).

|Zach|
11-10-2005, 04:59 AM
You can stop saying that. I know you don't mean that and I never said that either, no one is as stupid to believe you're saying that. The word you need to look at is "more", as in he cares about money more than...

I'm not saying he doesn't care about money (who doesn't?).Cool we disagree.

Fishpicker
11-10-2005, 05:13 AM
Holmes has never had the kind of deep, Ray Lewis, Mike Maslowski love of football.

I have to call BS here. priest has played through so many nagging pains and bruises, it's not even funny. football players dont just up-and-decide I want to break a League record for rushing TDs. Priest has played some very inspired football for KCC. I think he should milk the chiefs and the NFLPA for all he can if he can return. If he is out for good , then I think he should try to keep as much money as he can, KCC or NFLPA be damned.

I am usually able to laugh off whatever whitlock spews but, this article is particularly nasty. Whitlock has gone so Bush League it would make T.O. blush

Rausch
11-10-2005, 05:18 AM
Guys who are all about the money always say "Hey, my back-up, go ahead and take over this drive. Sore that TD."

You know, because numbers aren't that big a part of negotiations...

ExtremeChief
11-10-2005, 05:52 AM
It's just Whitlock trying to get a rise out of people, again. I think it's a joke, but he sure gets a reaction when he writes this drivel. Hey, it worked, Jason. This line really pissed me off. Holmes has never had the kind of deep, Ray Lewis, Mike Maslowski love of football. What utter ****ing bullshit.

Otter
11-10-2005, 06:35 AM
Watch out Titus, Zack is bucking for your position.

Poorly, but he's bucking.

|Zach|
11-10-2005, 06:44 AM

Poorly, but he's bucking.I have no idea how you connect that...enlighten me.

Otter
11-10-2005, 06:56 AM
I have no idea how you connect that...enlighten me.

I'd rather not waste my time, you'll wind up being right in your eyes no matter what the outcome.

Extra Point
11-10-2005, 06:57 AM
Fatlock pegged it, except for the Ray Lewis/Maz sentence. You remember the circumstances that prompted mgmt to draft LJ.

I think Chef Bob is devising a plot to cook up some funny sauce for Priest Holmes' nachos.........

|Zach|
11-10-2005, 06:58 AM
I'd rather not waste my time, you'll wind up being right in your eyes no matter what the outcome.Sorry for not following what others say because they have a different opinion...bahhhh ROFL

I really had no idea why you made the connection.

the Talking Can
11-10-2005, 07:11 AM
Every player in the NFL is concerned about the money. Raising the issue as if it is unique to Priest in some telling or scandalous way is disingenious (? sorry for my spelling)...at best.

Going on to claim that Priest - who has recovered from 2 knee and 1 hip operations while coming back to set NFL records as a RB; and who was stuck on the bench behind Lewis at Baltimore - is no different than Ricky Williams - who was handed opportunity on a platter and quit the game to hang out and smoke pot - is slander. And Pure Whitlock.

Otter
11-10-2005, 07:12 AM
Sorry for not following what others say because they have a different opinion...bahhhh ROFL

I really had no idea why you made the connection.

Yup, that's what I meant. ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Those cheesy LOL smileys do wonders, thanks for the tip.

Phobia
11-10-2005, 07:13 AM
I think he raises a valid point. Why the hell was Priest on IR last year? Every week he was supposed to come back and play - then he's on IR.

The dude is a freak. He gets "up" for different reasons than everybody else.

|Zach|
11-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Yup, that's what I meant. ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Those cheesy LOL smileys do wonders, thanks for the tip.
Alrighty, well when you are interested in having a conversation drop me a note. I would be more than happy to hear what you have to say.

Good luck avoiding tasers this week.

Mr. Kotter
11-10-2005, 07:29 AM
I have a deep respect and admiration for Holmes. I appreciate everthing he has done for the Chiefs and this organization. I wish I could say Whitlock is wrong about Priest no longer having the desire, but I can't. However, comparing him to Ricky Williams is beyond the pale--it's plain idiotic. But that's what Big Sexy gets paid to do: stir the pot.

|Zach|
11-10-2005, 07:30 AM
I have a deep respect and admiration for Holmes. I appreciate everthing he has done for the Chiefs and this organization. I wish I could say Whitlock is wrong, but I can't.Thats what im say'n...

Mr. Kotter
11-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Thats what im say'n...

Remember that old MeatLoaf song...."you took the words right out of my mouth"? Happens to me all the time too. We just have some damn geniouses (CP spelling) at this place, eh?

KCTitus
11-10-2005, 07:56 AM

Poorly, but he's bucking.

Ive been rather scant this fall...damn AD migrations. Somebody had to pickup the slack.

Pants
11-10-2005, 07:57 AM
I appreciate everthing he has done for the Chiefs and this organization. I wish I could say Whitlock is wrong about Priest no longer having the desire, but I can't.

Please elaborate?

Demonpenz
11-10-2005, 08:05 AM
i will probably answer my own question with this, yeah priest wants money and everything, but what was stopping him to just whore out and slap his name on everything. You figure if you really were all about money priest would be slapping a cowboy hat and telling people to goto sunny hill motors, or half naked in a mag selling swatches

Demonpenz
11-10-2005, 08:10 AM
There was a playing on radio 810 yesterday that when asked about what priest had to play for he replied priest loves to play football. I am just going to believe his teamate over whitlock, then continue to put my hands over my ears and sing LA LA LA when someone says otherwise

Extra Point
11-10-2005, 08:11 AM
i will probably answer my own question with this, yeah priest wants money and everything, but what was stopping him to just whore out and slap his name on everything. You figure if you really were all about money priest would be slapping a cowboy hat and telling people to goto sunny hill motors, or half naked in a mag selling swatches

Just wait for the Tostitos commercial featuring the Smooth-N-Spicy Cheese Sauce with the wavy Dip-N Chips!

the Talking Can
11-10-2005, 08:13 AM

LIAR!

Priest is a $$$$ grubbing whore! You know it!

Demonpenz
11-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Please, if you want to be taken seriously never compare D. Bennett and priest EVER in the same post.

jspchief
11-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Holmes has always seemed very businesslike in his approach to football, IMO.

Does that means he's more about the money than the game? I don't know. Maybe he his. But if so, I don't care because it has only presented itself on the field as 100% effort.

I think a lot of us fans tend to romanticize the players' commitment to the game. I was just talking to a retired NFL O-lineman the other day, and he said as much. He said fans don't realize just how business like every aspect of what they do is. How a few weeks into your rookie training camp, your love of the game starts to take a backseat to the bottom line...both yours and the team's.

I think there's a certain ring of truth to Whitlock's article. And i don't think it was an attack on Priest. The only thing that article attacked is a fan's romantic idea of their favorite players and what drives them on Sundays.

Chieftain58
11-10-2005, 08:29 AM
He's a man of controversy, anything less he would be working at McDonalds! "would you like fries with that?" His stories are made to ruffle peoples feathers, which makes people read. sad but true!

BigRedChief
11-10-2005, 08:30 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13127175.htm

Money will drive Holmes’ career plans
JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

I mention this because I listened to Carl Peterson’s and Dick Vermeil’s impromptu press conference discussing Holmes’ latest season-ending injury, and I understand their reluctance to label Holmes’ injury as career-ending.

“At this time, we consider this not to be a career-ending injury,” Peterson said.

Bruises go away. Contracts don’t. So the Chiefs have placed Holmes on injured reserve and announced their intention to have him re-examined in 30 days. Peterson said that doctors have led him to believe that Holmes will completely recover.

Of course, that doesn’t mean Holmes will play football again.

As I listened to Peterson and Vermeil on Wednesday afternoon, I heard two football businessmen justifiably posturing. They were respectful and supportive of Holmes, but they accurately painted the picture that if Holmes exits the NFL after this season, it should be viewed as a voluntary retirement … unless doctors find a more significant injury.

And if Holmes retires, the Chiefs would have a right to ask for a portion of the bonus money they committed to Holmes before the 2003 season. If Holmes suffered a football-related injury that prevented him from playing again, then the Chiefs couldn’t ask for a return of their money.
Priest will never play another down for the KC Chiefs. All that is to be worked out is how much of the $10 Million he gets to keep. This is back room dealing being done in public.

King Carl says the injury isn't career threatning. You want to walk away voluntarily, fine. Give us back X amount of the signing bonus.

Priest says its a football related career ending injury. I don't have to give back any of the money.

I said this yesterday and got scoffed at. Well I still think my opinion is spot on. Priest will never play for the KC Chiefs again. He has already privately made up his mind to retire.

Now they may say he's going to play next year, Priest may even say he will play next year but I predict that it will never happen. Before the snap of the first ball next season Preist will retire.

KCTitus
The only thing that article attacked is a fan's romantic idea of their favorite players and what drives them on Sundays.

So...Whitlock...insulted the fans? *gasp*

stevieray
I can't relate to most on this board anymore, the selfish self entitlement, the obscure assumptions, the lack of loyalty...it's no wonder players bolt.

Just like Whutlock, you try to claim how Priest feels.

You don't know shit.

Get lives, instead of constantly trying to tear down those who do.

Pants
11-10-2005, 08:31 AM
I can't relate to most on this board anymore, the selfish self entitlement, the obscure assumptions, the lack of loyalty...it's no wonder players bolt.

*nod*

KCTitus
11-10-2005, 08:35 AM
I can't relate to most on this board anymore, the selfish self entitlement..

THEY PAY FOR TICKETS THEY DESERVE BETTER!

jspchief
11-10-2005, 08:39 AM
THEY PAY FOR TICKETS THEY DESERVE BETTER!Do any of your posts actually contain any substance anymore?

Or is it all just this tired schtick?

KCTitus
11-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Do any of your posts actually contain any substance anymore?

Or is it all just this tired schtick?

LOL...I just hold the mirror.

bringbackmarty
11-10-2005, 08:43 AM
whilock is right about two things, and wrong about many other things.
1. Priest has used his superstar status, his record breaking season, and also keeping the team in the dark with regards to his plans and his injuries as leverage to get what he wants. I would expect anyone with half a brain to do that when dealing with carl peterson.
2. He is done. Kaput, finito. No way he backs up l.j., unless he restructures into something that gives him some long bread, as opposed to what the chiefs are willing to give him. The Chiefs want him to retire so they get they money back, and address the holes in the offense. QB,WR,OL.

Dartgod
11-10-2005, 08:49 AM
I haven't read all the replies, but this seems to be the angle all the media has taken this morning. They were wr...wr...wrong about the retirement, so it must be about the money, right?

I love how some fans and the media put people like Priest up on a pedestal when they are at the top of their game and then trash their legacy once their career is on the decline or over completely.

Simplex3
11-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Guys who are all about the money always say "Hey, my back-up, go ahead and take over this drive. Sore that TD."

You know, because numbers aren't that big a part of negotiations...
Don't forget, he didn't get that attitude until it had become pretty clear he wasn't going to be able to renegotiate again. At that point it could have been all about "I get paid the same sitting here or out there getting beat down." We don't know either way.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-10-2005, 08:51 AM
It must be tough being too fat and out of shape to actually play a sport. I guess the next best thing is writting about real atheletes and trying to bring them down to your level when you can.

jspchief
11-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Don't forget, he didn't get that attitude until it had become pretty clear he wasn't going to be able to renegotiate again. At that point it could have been all about "I get paid the same sitting here or out there getting beat down." We don't know either way.Oh shit. Prepare to get flamed.

Simplex3
11-10-2005, 08:54 AM
That takes time. Maybe he's just as much about his nacho time as he is about getting his football money. Once again, we don't know.

BigRedChief
11-10-2005, 08:54 AM

Well Stevieray did you listen to DV's press conference? If so you heard a 3 mintue tirade against the media by DV. That Priest was so upset, torn up inside. Priest was feeling this and Priest was feeling that about the media that was why he wasn't there yesterday.

Then about 5 minutes later he says I've not talked to Priest.

Whats up with that? Why did he say Priest feels like this but say he hasn't talked to him?

KCTitus
11-10-2005, 08:55 AM
That takes time. Maybe he's just as much about his nacho time as he is about getting his football money. Once again, we don't know.

Nachos are highly addictive, I must confess the same affliction.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Well Stevieray did you listen to DV's press conference? If so you heard a 3 mintue tirade against the media by DV. That Priest was so upset, torn up inside. Priest was feeling this and Priest was feeling that about the media that was why he wasn't there yesterday.

Whats up with that? Why did he say Priest feels like this but say he hasn't talked to him?
Don't doubt Dick. He's in touch with not only his feelings, but everyone else's too.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-10-2005, 08:57 AM
Nachos are highly addictive, I must confess the same affliction.
nachos goooood.

stevieray
11-10-2005, 08:58 AM

IIRC, didn't DV say he heard that from Priest's father?

This is the best RB in Chief's history, yet he's treated like a pawn.

stevieray
11-10-2005, 08:59 AM
I haven't read all the replies, but this seems to be the angle all the media has taken this morning. They were wr...wr...wrong about the retirement, so it must be about the money, right?

I love how some fans and the media put people like Priest up on a pedestal when they are at the top of their game and then trash their legacy once their career is on the decline or over completely.

:clap:

KCTitus
11-10-2005, 09:00 AM

Priest is the man...what he did for the club who hadnt had a RB worth a damn in over a decade is simply amazing. He can walk as far as Im concerned with as much jack as he can get. He earned it.

Simplex3
11-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Here's what bugs me about this whole situation:

1. DV claims to know all about how Priest feels then admits even he hasn't spoken to Priest.
2. Priest leaves town in a huff supposedly because he's mad that the media is fabricating stuff. Earth to Priest: the best and only way to shut down the rumor mill is TELL US THE F**KING TRUTH.
3. Don't give me this s**t about "minor injury". Nobody flies all over the country getting opions from top neurologists for a minor injury. Come straight or don't come at all.

Simplex3
11-10-2005, 09:02 AM
nachos goooood.
...fire baaaaaaaad.

Brock
11-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Priest is the man...what he did for the club who hadnt had a RB worth a damn in over a decade is simply amazing. He can walk as far as Im concerned with as much jack as he can get. He earned it.

Yep.

KCTitus
11-10-2005, 09:03 AM
...fire baaaaaaaad.

Hold up there, sparky... ;) Who here doesnt try to build a fire hot enough to melt glass?

BigRedChief
11-10-2005, 09:05 AM
IIRC, didn't DV say he heard that from Priest's father?

Okay thats defintely a good source and fine and dandy with me if he wants to quote Priest's dad and say those are Priest's words.

I started a thread over on the coalition about how that Priest is the best RB to ever wear a Chiefs uniform and the front office should be treating him like the Chief royalty that he is. I'm with you on this. Priest has earned a ring of honor placement and a Chiefs HOF induction. Treat him accordingly.

Eleazar
11-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Once you might not be around anymore, some people can't wait to trash you and say you were all about money and didn't really love the game.

It's not even 'what have you done for me lately', it's 'what have you done for me in the past week' around here :shake:

BigRedChief
11-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Okay thats defintely a good source and fine and dandy with me if he wants to quote Priest's dad and say those are Priest's words.

I started a thread over on the coalition about how that Priest is the best RB to ever wear a Chiefs uniform and the front office should be treating him like the Chief royalty that he is. I'm with you on this. Priest has earned a ring of honor placement and a Chiefs HOF induction. Treat him accordingly.
The post.

The whole Chiefs front office is FOS. 30 days to revaluate but they put Priest on IR? But they keep Sims and Barber on the active roster all year. Tell what reality that makes sense in.
They have known about this for at least week. You don't have RB's trying out for your team in the middle of the season unless you know something is up.

3 frigging trips to specialists and DV hasn't ruled him out to play this weekend? And if DV does start Priest this week its back to the 2 fer 1 series crap. What a load of shit we were being fed by DV. He friggin knew there was an issue with Priests spinal canal.
Pissing all over my boots and then telling me its raining. That ticks me off more than anything.

They frigging know Priest is done. He will never play another down of football in a Chiefs uniform. Its all about the injury settlement and posturing about money. Shame on them. Priest should not go out like this. He has earned and deserves better treatment. Let him have his money. Put him on the ring and in the Chiefs Hall of Fame. He gave us 5 great years.

He was the best running back to ever wear the Chiefs uniform. Treat him accordingly.
DV and King Carl your full of chit and I'm calling you on it. :cuss:

Simplex3
11-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Once you might not be around anymore, some people can't wait to trash you and say you were all about money and didn't really love the game.

It's not even 'what have you done for me lately', it's 'what have you done for me in the past week' around here :shake:
Wait, just a few posts ago we were all being trashed for not kissing a player's ass hard enough, now we don't kiss them long enough either? Man, we must need practice...

I don't see anyone trashing Priest for anything other than his secrecy, which is richly deserved IMO. If you want to be a highly paid public figure you'd better be ready to make some public statements about normally private things.

KCTitus
11-10-2005, 09:10 AM
DV and King Carl your full of chit and I'm calling you on it...

Sun rises in East, film at 11.

Eleazar
11-10-2005, 09:12 AM
You mean... Carl isn't always forthcoming with the media? DEAR LAWD :cuss:

Next thing you know politicians will be lying to us! :cuss: :cuss:

jspchief
11-10-2005, 09:16 AM
You mean... Carl isn't always forthcoming with the media? DEAR LAWD :cuss:

Next thing you know politicians will be lying to us! :cuss: :cuss:Yea, we all know they have been full of shit since the dawn of time.

What gets me is they have the audacity to act offended when Chiefs fans decide to get their info elsewhere (Harry).

If they didn't lie through their teeth on this crap, we wouldn't have to look to the Jack Harry's or John Clayton's of the world.

Imon Yourside
11-10-2005, 09:19 AM
All of this stuff confuses me so much, I'll need reparations from all Chiefs fans and were starting with the ones on the Planet.

dtebbe
11-10-2005, 09:19 AM
This is a whole new low even for Fatlock. It's waay too early to be comparing Priest to Ricky Williams. What an asshole.

DT

Mr. Kotter
11-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Please elaborate?

I think this is the key, and I agree with Whitlock up to this point:

Since then, Holmes has struggled with motivation, contemplated retirement and been a total mystery to Vermeil and Peterson. They have no idea what he’s thinking day to day. On Wednesday, Vermeil was reduced to quoting Holmes’ father about Holmes’ injury. Vermeil blamed the local media for Holmes’ enigmatic behavior concerning this latest season-ending injury.

My belief is Holmes has proved all he wants to prove as it relates to football. He won a Super Bowl with Baltimore. He established himself as a great player in Kansas City. He got paid.

At age 32 and with no more new-contract leverage thanks to Larry Johnson...

"Holmes would rather much nachos" is flippant and needlessly incendiary; but when Holmes contemplated retirement, he ceased being a real warrior IMHO. I just think he's now focused on life after football, and it manifests itself in his eccentric and enigmatic behavior.

When he starts comparing him to Williams, that's when we depart ways.

Simplex3
11-10-2005, 09:23 AM
This is a whole new low even for Fatlock. It's waay too early to be comparing Priest to Ricky Williams. What an asshole.

DT
IMO he wasn't comparing the men, he was comparing their love of football. My guess is the reason he used Ricky was because they shared the backfield in college.

Dartgod
11-10-2005, 09:23 AM
If you want to be a highly paid public figure you'd better be ready to make some public statements about normally private things.
Why? :spock:

jspchief
11-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Why? :spock:Because if you don't, people make up their own information that feeds the spread of rumors and creates a media frenzy.

If you're okay with that, then keep being an enigma. But don't act all pissed off about it when people start speculating.

It may not be fair, but it's the nature of celebrity.

Eleazar
11-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Yea, we all know they have been full of shit since the dawn of time.

What gets me is they have the audacity to act offended when Chiefs fans decide to get their info elsewhere (Harry).

If they didn't lie through their teeth on this crap, we wouldn't have to look to the Jack Harry's or John Clayton's of the world.

A reputable guy like John Clayton is one thing. Jack Harry is quite another.

Simplex3
11-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Why? :spock:
Right or wrong, part of what people expect when giving you millions of dollars is that they get some little piece of you. He knew that going in and if he didn't he's an idiot, and I don't believe for a second he's an idiot.

He works for years to make the fans in KC love him. He uses that love as extra leverage in contract talks, rightfully so. Now he has an injury and the fans who love him want to be in the loop because they're emotionally invested in him and his career. Except now he doesn't want to share. So they go elsewhere to try and find out what is going on with their favorite player. What does Priest have to be pissed off about? He's a victim of his own success on this one. All he had to do was one f**king interview, one press conference, hell, one lousy press release. Give the fans some insight as to what is going on. This whole s**t storm is the fault of one man and that man isn't name Harry or Whitlock. For Priest to be "upset" by a s**t storm he caused is laughable. If, he is in fact upset about it. Nobody knows because he won't talk. Hell, maybe this is part of a plan to stay relevant in case he can come back.

jspchief
11-10-2005, 09:31 AM
A reputable guy like John Clayton is one thing. Jack Harry is quite another.The problem is, NFL fans can be a rabid, hungry bunch. They'll get to the point when they take whatever they can get.

There were clearly signs of something amiss with Holmes. The Chiefs organization was playing it off as minor. Today's NFL fan is smart enough to know better. So while 80% of us might have thought Jack Harry was full of shit, we also suspected that something was going on.

The Chiefs chose to keep their fans in the dark, and then got pissed when we went looking for light elsewhere.

Mr. Kotter
11-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Holmes has always seemed very businesslike...I don't care because it has only presented itself on the field as 100% effort.

I think a lot of us fans tend to romanticize the players' commitment to the game. I was just talking to a retired NFL O-lineman the other day, and he said as much..... And i don't think [Whitlock's article} was an attack on Priest. The only thing that article attacked is a fan's romantic idea of their favorite players and what drives them on Sundays.

Excellent post. I do think many of us romanticize our teams' stars....I try not too, but the whole obsession we have with autographs and sports memorabilia is proof of that to me. I've gotten autographs for my son, period. I'm just not into that whole thing. I'm NOT saying it's bad. As far as I'm concerned, it's "whatever floats your boat, man." Some might say the pedestal we place players on is a sort of idolatry. I wouldn't. But I understand the thinking.

Dartgod
11-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Because if you don't, people make up their own information that feeds the spread of rumors and creates a media frenzy.

If you're okay with that, then keep being an enigma. But don't act all pissed off about it when people start speculating.

It may not be fair, but it's the nature of celebrity.
So, since he's no longer scoring TDs for your favorite team, then he should be trashed for trying to maintain somewhat of a private life.

Yeah, I guess I can see that. :rolleyes:

Dinny Bossa Nova
11-10-2005, 09:34 AM
I will give Whitlock this, he is doing a whole hell of alot with not very much.

His operation of the buttons has made him very successful.

Dinny

Dartgod
11-10-2005, 09:35 AM
So, since he's no longer scoring TDs for your favorite team, then he should be trashed for trying to maintain somewhat of a private life.

This whole s**t storm is the fault of one man and that man isn't name Harry or Whitlock. For Priest to be "upset" by a s**t storm he caused is laughable. If, he is in fact upset about it. Nobody knows because he won't talk. Hell, maybe this is part of a plan to stay relevant in case he can come back.
Thanks for proving my point.

Simplex3
11-10-2005, 09:37 AM

1. He isn't being trashed by anyone.
2. People ARE making guesses at his motivations.
3. Some of those guesses are taking negative positions.
4. He could stop all that by F**KING SPEAKING HIMSELF.

Unitl he opens his nacho hole and gives the straight scoop I won't feel a bit sorry for him about any guess being made by anyone.

Dartgod
11-10-2005, 09:39 AM
1. He isn't being trashed by anyone.
2. People ARE making guesses at his motivations.
3. Some of those guesses are taking negative positions.
4. He could stop all that by F**KING SPEAKING HIMSELF.

Unitl he opens his nacho hole and gives the straight scoop I won't feel a bit sorry for him about any guess being made by anyone.
Oh, yeah. 'Cause i can feel the love in the rest of this post.

Priest doesn't owe us a freakin' thing.

jspchief
11-10-2005, 09:40 AM

Yeah, I guess I can see that. :rolleyes:That's quite a leap in logic. Apparently we are talking about two entirely different subjects.

All I said is that he doesn't have the right to be pissed about media rumors, when the rumors began because he (or more accurately, the team) chose to keep us all in the dark in regards to his injury situation.

As for his private life, as long as he plays in the NFL, injuries are not part of his private life. That's part of the package when you get payed millions so people can watch you do your job.

Don't try and turn this into some Holmes bashing from me. I've been one of his staunchest supporters in the face of people wanting to shove him off the island to make room for Larry Johnson.

Eleazar
11-10-2005, 09:40 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

siberian khatru
11-10-2005, 09:41 AM

I know what you're saying, but consider this: An injury that affects his professional career is not a private life. Herpes would be his private life; who he's dating or what his kids are doing or what kind of candy he gives out on Halloween is his private life.

When a guy's hurt and seeking multiple opinions, and the coach keeps suggesting that he'll be back soon, maybe this week, then there's a disconnect and people want to know what's going on -- because it affects the team.

Mr. Kotter
11-10-2005, 09:41 AM

You don't know shit.

Get lives, instead of constantly trying to tear down those who do.

Maybe it's because you are "closer" to the players and organization, and in the public eye....but I don't understand sensitivity and defensiveness about this.

I don't think anyone is really trying to do what you seem to be claiming. If Priest wants to put the real story out there, he will in time. And I'll take him at his word. Until then, speculation is to be expected.

FTR, I don't think people are nearly a judgmental about the whole thing as you seem to believe. Hell, if I were blessed and lucky enough to be in his shoes, I don't know that I'd be behaving any different really.

Priest is still the man in my book, regardless of any of this. FWIW, so are you Stevie. ;)

Mr. Kotter
11-10-2005, 09:44 AM
For the life of me, I just don't understand the concept of:

"Fans are trashing Priest, through all this speculation and gossip!"

I just don't get that.... :shake:

Simplex3
11-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Oh, yeah. 'Cause i can feel the love in the rest of this post.

Priest doesn't owe us a freakin' thing.
Nor do we owe him s**t. So if he won't speak then he (any you) better be Ok with the fact that people are going to speculate.

Dartgod
11-10-2005, 09:46 AM
That's quite a leap in logic. Apparently we are talking about two entirely different subjects.

All I said is that he doesn't have the right to be pissed about media rumors, when the rumors began because he (or more accurately, the team) chose to keep us all in the dark in regards to his injury situation.

As for his private life, as long as he plays in the NFL, injuries are not part of his private life. That's part of the package when you get payed millions so people can watch you do your job.

Don't try and turn this into some Holmes bashing from me. I've been one of his staunchest supporters in the face of people wanting to shove him off the island to make room for Larry Johnson.
For the record, you're not the one I was referring to regarding "trashing Priest".

And you are right, there are certain parts of public figure's private life that become public when they choose the career they are in. But Priest has the right to withhold that info if he chooses. He gets a pass from me for all he's done for the Chiefs since he's been here. I got my money's worth from him. He doesn't owe me anything else.

Chiefnj
11-10-2005, 09:47 AM
I think Whitlock's message is 100% accurate. I have to believe that this is all about the signing bonus.

The teams position doesn't make much sense - it's not a career ending injury, he will be re-evaluated in 30 days but we are going to put him on IR to end his season. Putting the teams best running back, a guy who will be clutch in the postseason should the team be lucky enough to make it, on IR when there is some alleged reevaluation in 30 days doesn't make sense. Priest has shown a remarkable ability to rehab and come back from a serious injury. If you really believe what the team says why not keep him on the roster like Sims and Barber and cut a Svitek to make room for another HB in the mean time?

Priest doesn't help the situation by not communicating with the team or media. Have a thirty second press conference about your injury and move on.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the team wants to reevaluate and get a doctor's opinion that he can play again. If Priest says no, the team goes after a portion of the SBonus. Priest will get opinions that he can't play again, it's a football related injury, he keeps his money. If forced to "play" again, I have no doubt he will get an injury to his back on the first day of camp. It's a business.

jspchief
11-10-2005, 09:49 AM
For the record, you're not the one I was referring to regarding "trashing Priest".

And you are right, there are certain parts of public figure's private life that become public when they choose the career they are in. But Priest has the right to withhold that info if he chooses. He gets a pass from me for all he's done for the Chiefs since he's been here. I got my money's worth from him. He doesn't owe me anything else.He does have the right to withhold that info.

I also have the right to stop mowing my lawn. But when the grass gets too tall, am I justified in complaining about it?

Mr. Kotter
11-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Wait, just a few posts ago we were all being trashed for not kissing a player's ass hard enough, now we don't kiss them long enough either? Man, we must need practice...

I don't see anyone trashing Priest for anything other than his secrecy, which is richly deserved IMO. If you want to be a highly paid public figure you'd better be ready to make some public statements about normally private things.

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with every word of this post. :cuss:

I just hate agreeing with that bastard Simplex....and, holy cow...Zach, in the same friggin' thread even. Maybe I need help..... :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
11-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Maybe we should just reduce it to this, and be done:

"It's all about the signing bonus."

And who, among us, would blame him? Certainly not me.

stevieray
11-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Nor do we owe him s**t.

and he doesn't owe us anything either.

WilliamTheIrish
11-10-2005, 09:54 AM
I think we all have to remember here that Priest hasn't said he's upset.

Vermiel said Priest is upset.

Vermiel said Priest would play last weeekend.

The front office has a long and storied history of stoning the local media since the day CP stepped foot onto 1 Arrowhead DR. (sometimes legitimately).

That's why the local media goes to great lengths to find these stories and get them on the air. It pisses CP to no end!

I think we're cannibalizing ourselves here for not much of a reason.

Simplex3
11-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Maybe we should just reduce it to this, and be done:

"It's all about the signing bonus."

And who, among us, would blame him? Certainly not me.
Only Priest and MAYBE the team knows if this is true or not. HOWEVER, due to the lack of any real information this type of speculation is going to happen. I'd have to say that's my guess as to what is up.

And no, Dartgod, I don't really give a crap either way. This whole thing being about money or love of the game or the fact that his gerbil may have syphilis won't affect me one way or another. Of course I'm not the one bitching about the speculation.

jspchief
11-10-2005, 09:57 AM
I think we all have to remember here that Priest hasn't said he's upset.

Vermiel said Priest is upset.

Vermiel said Priest would play last weeekend.

The front office has a long and storied history of stoning the local media since the day CP stepped foot onto 1 Arrowhead DR. (sometimes legitimately).

That's why the local media goes to great lengths to find these stories and get them on the air. It pisses CP to no end!

I think we're cannibalizing ourselves here for not much of a reason.That's an excellent point. My beef all along has been more with the actions of the Chiefs FO than with Priest.

Priest wasn't the one standing at a Tuesday press conference lying through his teeth. That goes on Vermeil.

Pants
11-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Yeah, but why would Cowher leave the Steelers?

WilliamTheIrish
11-10-2005, 09:59 AM
That's an excellent point. My beef all along has been more with the actions of the Chiefs FO than with Priest.

Priest wasn't the one standing at a Tuesday press conference lying through his teeth. That goes on Vermeil.

Exactly.

I really thought this would change in the Vermiel era. But with heavy handed CP still in place.... same ol', same ol'.

stevieray
11-10-2005, 09:59 AM
I think we're cannibalizing ourselves here for not much of a reason.

cannibalizing ourselves is what we've become..

WilliamTheIrish
11-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Yeah, but why would Cowher leave the Steelers?

Due to his homosexual reationship with Kordell, dummy. duh!!!

jspchief
11-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Due to his homosexual reationship with Kordell, dummy. duh!!!The Ravens just cut Kordell Stewart yesterday.

RINGLEADER
11-10-2005, 10:02 AM
This is the best column Jason Whitlock has ever written...

:rolleyes:

Pants
11-10-2005, 10:03 AM
The Ravens just cut Kordell Stewart yesterday.

Is KC going to sign him to entice Cowher?

HemiEd
The only thing that makes sense to me is that the team wants to reevaluate and get a doctor's opinion that he can play again. If Priest says no, the team goes after a portion of the SBonus. Priest will get opinions that he can't play again, it's a football related injury, he keeps his money. It's a business.

This seems very accurate to me.

Simplex3
and he doesn't owe us anything either.
I disagree to an extent. I think a professional athelete owes his fans an explaination about any injuries he or she may have that will affect their performance on the field. While he doesn't technically owe the fans anything he might want to consider making a payment towards that love he's been receiving. Unless of course he isn't looking towards another year or another contract renegotiation or he never really cared, in which case he can just keep letting all of this brew.

There is only one man that could swing this back to Priest's favor and that's Priest. If he would just open his mouth for 10 minutes he could bring every fan back in line. He's chosen not to for whatever reason.

Just so everyone knows. I could give a f**k less what Priest's motivations are. It isn't any of my concern either way. I'd like to see him play again, but if he doesn't it won't change my day. I'm not that invested in any team or player. The thing I think is funny is the fact that some are saying "you don't know what's in Priest's head" while also saying "quit trashing him". It's only trashing if it isn't true and by your own admission you don't know that it isn't true. So relax and let people speculate. It isn't trashing, it's guessing. Guessing that wouldn't be happening if Priest would talk.

Simplex3
11-10-2005, 10:05 AM
That's an excellent point. My beef all along has been more with the actions of the Chiefs FO than with Priest.

Unless Vermeil is being fed s**t by someone else.

jspchief
11-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Is KC going to sign him to entice Cowher?I heard that KC was going to pay to have that growth removed from Stewart's face, then bring in the growth to entice Cowher. Apparently he wants to get some work done to give him a more pronounced chin, and Kordell's boil is the perfect match.

WilliamTheIrish
11-10-2005, 10:07 AM
The Ravens just cut Kordell Stewart yesterday.

I'm going back a few years....

When we played the Steelers (what seemed like every f*cking season) they had some obnoxious bastards that ended up next to my seats in 328 every damn year.

If you remember,one of those seasons, Greg Lloyd contracted a staph infection in his ankle or foot and was lost for the season. (eventually retiring)

Anyway, the Steelers were beating our asses again and my friend says (loudly) "I hear LLoyd got his infection during a three-way with Kordell and Magic Johnson."

Touched off a brawl. Took 10 Green Jacket guys to break it up.

Friggin' hilarious.

jspchief
11-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Unless Vermeil is being fed s**t by someone else.Vermeil, Carl, whatever. If it's a Chiefs press conference, it's all the same corporate mouthpiece as far as I'm concerned.

I've yet to hear a good reason why keeping fans in the dark makes sense. I understand that they don't have to tell us anything. But can someone explain how they benefit from not keeping us informed? Surely they had to realize people would eventually speculate on their own. They can't be that naive...can they?

Brock
11-10-2005, 10:12 AM
There is only one man that could swing this back to Priest's favor and that's Priest. If he would just open his mouth for 10 minutes he could bring every fan back in line. He's chosen not to for whatever reason.

IMO, f*ck the fans who are badmouthing him. Why should he care what they think?

Simplex3
11-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Vermeil, Carl, whatever. If it's a Chiefs press conference, it's all the same corporate mouthpiece as far as I'm concerned.

I've yet to hear a good reason why keeping fans in the dark makes sense. I understand that they don't have to tell us anything. But can someone explain how they benefit from not keeping us informed? Surely they had to realize people would eventually speculate on their own. They can't be that naive...can they?
IIRC Priest has been going to HIS doctors, not the team's doctors. That would mean the team is getting their info from Priest on those last two visits, the first opinion came from the team docs. Maybe the first opinion was "he's fine, just wait a few weeks". The Priest goes to get his own opinions and tells the team "they both said I can't play any more". As far as the team is concerned they don't know if Priest is feeding them a line or what.

Of course I don't KNOW any more than anyone else.

BigRedChief
11-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Due to his homosexual reationship with Kordell, dummy. duh!!!
Kordell was gay?

I need to get out more.

Simplex3
11-10-2005, 10:15 AM
IMO, f*ck the fans who are badmouthing him. Why should he care what they think?
So because they've quit sucking his d**k they're badmouthing him? Because they think maybe he's worrying about money first they're badmouthing him? Because they're speculating in the absense of any hard evidence they're badmouthing him?

You guys kill me. Does Priest pay you to stick up for him or does it just come naturally?

jspchief
11-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Kordell was gay?

I need to get out more.I don't think you're his type.

BigRedChief
11-10-2005, 10:21 AM
I don't think you're his type.

Hey, I'm a burning hunk of love. X-Large size but still I burn baby! :p

Brock
11-10-2005, 10:26 AM
So because they've quit sucking his d**k they're badmouthing him? Because they think maybe he's worrying about money first they're badmouthing him? Because they're speculating in the absense of any hard evidence they're badmouthing him?

You guys kill me. Does Priest pay you to stick up for him or does it just come naturally?

I would think Priest had earned a measure of trust and respect just for being the best player the chiefs have had in 30 years.

I don't think anybody can say they got gypped by Priest.

Chiefnj
11-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Priest has played the business aspect of this game. When he wanted a big new contract, he formed Team Priest or whatever it was called, he drove some Chiefs painted car around and made many attempts at being visible in the public eye and doing community projects. After he got his contract Team Priest seemed to dry up. I know he still does community service, etc., but it isn't with the same public flair as it was before his new contract. It's a business.

PunkinDrublic
11-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Saying Priest doesn't have the same love for football as Ray Lewis or Mike Maslowski is ridiculous. Of course Priest wants to get paid but you don't overcome the sort of injuries time and time again unless you have a strong desire to play the game. One thing to consider too is that the injuries Priest sustains during his football career are injuries that will probably be with him the rest of his life. Priests career has been all about overcoming adversity and to make any comparison to Ricky Williams is stupid as hell. If I were Priest I would never speak to Whitlock again.

Inspector
11-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Holmes has a love for the game. I think JW has been paying more attention to the hotdogs and cheetos during football season...rather than to the game. Dildo!!!

A dildo is a pretend dick.

Whitlock isn't pretending. He's genuine.

Simplex3
11-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Saying Priest doesn't have the same love for football as Ray Lewis or Mike Maslowski is ridiculous. Of course Priest wants to get paid but you don't overcome the sort of injuries time and time again unless you have a strong desire to play the game.
Do you actually belive this tripe? I'll bet for $100,000 you'd rehab your a** off for a year. He got paid millions.
One thing to consider too is that the injuries Priest sustains during his football career are injuries that will probably be with him the rest of his life.
Yes, they will be. Just like every other professional athelete.
Priests career has been all about overcoming adversity and to make any comparison to Ricky Williams is stupid as hell.
The only comparison being made is their love of football as a sport. Given the option to do something else for the same amount of money they'd both walk. That's all that's being said.
If I were Priest I would never speak to Whitlock again.
The point is PRIEST ISN'T SPEAKING TO ANYONE. That's why all of this speculation is going on. The only person Priest has to blame on this is Priest.

Mr. Kotter
11-10-2005, 10:43 AM
... When he wanted a big new contract, he formed Team Priest or whatever it was called, he drove some Chiefs painted car around and made many attempts at being visible in the public eye and doing community projects. After he got his contract Team Priest seemed to dry up. ....

Good point.

Anyone on the otherside wanna field that one? :hmmm:

WilliamTheIrish
11-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Kordell was gay?

I need to get out more.

Hellifiknow. It was just all the rage back when the Steelers were going through some tough times with Kordel at the helm.
I just brought it up because I remembered it as a funny aside.

TRR
11-10-2005, 10:47 AM
I would have to agree with some of what JW says in his article. Holmes is a strange duck. He's just not your typical, everyday guy. Holmes has a passion for the game, no doubt, but he definitely isn't a throw-back player that will risk all to win a football game.

Holmes' primary concerns are himself, and his family. Football comes a distant third. And there's nothing wrong with that. His priorities should be that way. But in today's NFL where players get payed millions to play a game us fans would play for free, we expect more.

All I know is this. I am sick of Holmes taking a hit, and standing on the sidelines not knowing if he'll play again that game, that season, or ever again. Holmes is probably the best RB I've ever seen play, but he rubbed me the wrong way when he contemplated retirement, and alienated his teammates to the point where even Trent Green spoke up and said, "we had no idea if he was playing or not...He just showed up one day and started lifting again."

It's time for Priest Holmes to go. He has had a great run as the teams primary ball carrier, and I will miss watching him. However, I don't want to lose Larry Johnson, or have him get in a pissing match with Peterson/Vermeil because Holmes is still getting the bulk of the carries next season, or beyond.

It's time to set Larry Johnson free, and hope to God that he matures quick enough to handle a superstar role in Kansas City.

Otter
11-10-2005, 10:59 AM
I don't want to lose Larry Johnson, or have him get in a pissing match with Peterson/Vermeil because Holmes is still getting the bulk of the carries next season, or beyond.

It's time to set Larry Johnson free, and hope to God that he matures quick enough to handle a superstar role in Kansas City.

I agree with that, if Holmes comes back next year no way he gets the starting job unless Johnson really shits the bed or Priest blatently out performs him.

Larry said he wanted to be the man, now he's the man, time to be man. He's certainly off to a good start.

Priest was my favorite player to wear a Chiefs uniform in a long time so I'm not going to say anything about him. He should have addressed the press in the matter though.

PunkinDrublic
11-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Do you actually belive this tripe? I'll bet for $100,000 you'd rehab your a** off for a year. He got paid millions.

Yes, they will be. Just like every other professional athelete.

The only comparison being made is their love of football as a sport. Given the option to do something else for the same amount of money they'd both walk. That's all that's being said.

The point is PRIEST ISN'T SPEAKING TO ANYONE. That's why all of this speculation is going on. The only person Priest has to blame on this is Priest.

Hey dumbass I never said money didn't ever fit into the equation. He's comparing someone who quit on his team to go smoke weed with someone who's overcome injuries and has basically worked for everything he's ever gotten in this league. If Priest is guilty of anything it's sometimes making bad PR moves.

Calcountry
11-10-2005, 11:30 AM
That article is complete bull shit ROFL A bunch of made up tripe for the most part. I wish to hell Whitlock would get a full time gig at ESPN so he'd vacate the KC area and his job with the Star. What a tard :shake:

PhilFree:arrow:He's too fat to do anything on camera.

Inspector
11-10-2005, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=Simplex3] While he doesn't technically owe the fans anything he might want to consider making a payment towards that love he's been receiving.

You make good points, but in a way, some folks think Priest has already paid for some love by his performance on the field. He kind of payed it forward.

Calcountry
11-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Holmes has a love for the game. I think JW has been paying more attention to the hotdogs and cheetos during football season...rather than to the game. Dildo!!!We know what's on your mind.

Calcountry
11-10-2005, 11:47 AM
A dildo is a pretend dick.

Whitlock isn't pretending. He's genuine.Yeah, but it is the pretend dicks or dildo's that QT has on her mind.

Extra Point
11-10-2005, 12:27 PM
cannibalizing ourselves is what we've become..

Pass the ketchup. Reminds me of the drawing of the guy standing with a knife in one hand, a fork in other, a chunk of his ass missing, saying, "Hey, this ain't too bad. I see why everyone else is chewing it!"

If only Chef Bob were here to share this thread....

ct
11-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Some of this is pretty far-fetched, such as the Ricky Williams comparison, or questioning his motivations.

However, there's also a lot of hard truth in there. This voluntary/injury-dictated possible retirement is sticky. And also the proactive thinking of Carl Peterson.

Wa-Z
11-10-2005, 12:38 PM
****ing fat ****er

shaneo69
11-10-2005, 12:54 PM
To be honest, I think a lot of players would still be playing with whatever condition Priest has now.

And I'm sure he'll try to come back next year and collect his paycheck by playing in a couple games before he gets hurt again.

The whole thing about him not wanting to catch passes last year because it would hinder his chance to get 2,000 yards rushing really irked me.

ferrarispider95
11-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Whitlock is piece of Sh*t that just stooped to a new level. We need to start a campaign to get him out of KC.

I have no problem with the truth, but when you fabricate lies or twist things just because you couldn't get ty law, then I do have a problem.

The Rick
11-10-2005, 01:03 PM
I haven't ready all of the posts on this thread, but here's my take on this:

I think both Whitlock and JoPo are right. I know this may shock some, but Priest probably does care more about money than the game. However, while PLAYING, he cared a lot about playing well.

It's no different than a normal guy who goes to work every day. Does he want to work there the rest of his life? No, probably not. He's out of there as soon as he can retire in a way that's comfortable for him. However, while he's working though, he works hard, works his butt off, and tries to achieve perfection.

If that's "normal" and fine outside of football, why should the same thing for a player be any different? Sure there are people who simply love what they are doing just the same as there are players who love playing the game. However, even if someone doesn't love what they're doing, if they do it whole-heartedly until they can retire comfortably, we normally don't think any less of them.

Just my $0.02...

Raiderhater
11-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Bishop to c 6, check.

The chess master is playing one hell of a game here.

tk13
11-10-2005, 02:01 PM
This is a depressing thread. We're eating alive the best player this team has had since DT. You'd never ever in a million years see us do this to DT. People are acting like they're inside his head and know his motivations, that they personally would not care about the money in his situation, and that they would play with a possible spinal injury and he's a wimp for not doing so. I don't know, that's pretty tough. I'm scared to see what negativity will be dredged up when Trent retires. I usually don't put a player over the team, but Priest deserved better than this.

Raiderhater
11-10-2005, 02:16 PM
This is a depressing thread. We're eating alive the best player this team has had since DT. You'd never ever in a million years see us do this to DT. People are acting like they're inside his head and know his motivations, that they personally would not care about the money in his situation, and that they would play with a possible spinal injury and he's a wimp for not doing so. I don't know, that's pretty tough. I'm scared to see what negativity will be dredged up when Trent retires. I usually don't put a player over the team, but Priest deserved better than this.

I agree completely.

However, as I alluded to in my last post, I believe Priest is playing a game of chess here. What checkmate means to him I have no idea, but he seems to be in the process of positioning the pieces where he wants them. He is a calculating sonofagun, and I am sure that the reactions from the fanbase has been figured into his strategy. It is kind of sad that he could count on what the reactions would be, but if he manages to work it all out for a win, I have trouble feeling too bad about it.

CHIEF4EVER
11-10-2005, 03:48 PM
For anyone who agrees with Whitless on any portion of his recent inflammatory pile of crap disguised as writing, keep a few things in mind:

1) Priest basically carried this team on his back the first 2 years of his contract and didn't ask for any money until he proved himself. CLASS.

2) He has an injury that could friggin PARALYZE him if he takes the wrong shot. How long has he had this condition and how long has he known about it? How long has he played and busted his azz in spite of having it? Anybody know? Bueller? Bueller?

3) What about coming back from an injury that killed Bo Jacksons career and setting all kinds of records in the process?

For those 3 points and many more I think Whitlock is, once again, needlessly stirring the poop and this time at the expense of a man that has more class on any given day than that fat maggot has posessed his entire miserable overfed life. The comparison to Ricky Williams and the insinuation that he only cares about the money is just laughable. If Priest retires, he deserves every dime he gets (and probably more) and CP should just write the check, shake his hand, and thank him profusely.

Jason Whitless, do the world a favor and write about something you have some expertise in....food or sloth - you pick. Just leave football alone. The sport and especially Priest are WAY out of your league.

Otter
11-10-2005, 04:46 PM
This article and most of the responses make me lose faith in mankind.

Unreal.

chiefsfan1963
11-10-2005, 04:47 PM
whitlock has a point, but the bottom line Priest produced. Carl has to cover his ass and work with him and only pay him what he deserves nothing less nothing more. If he can play and he decides to retire then Chiefs have every right to get back anything Priest did not earn.

shaneo69
11-10-2005, 07:30 PM
For anyone who agrees with Whitless on any portion of his recent inflammatory pile of crap disguised as writing, keep a few things in mind:

1) Priest basically carried this team on his back the first 2 years of his contract and didn't ask for any money until he proved himself. CLASS.

2) He has an injury that could friggin PARALYZE him if he takes the wrong shot. How long has he had this condition and how long has he known about it? How long has he played and busted his azz in spite of having it? Anybody know? Bueller? Bueller?

3) What about coming back from an injury that killed Bo Jacksons career and setting all kinds of records in the process?

1) He held the team hostage in the 2003 offseason and threatened to sit out the season until he got his contract (the one that he had agreed to in 2001) renegotiated. He forced us to waste a 1st round pick on another RB just in case he carried through on this threat.

2) Please provide a quote from any of the doctors he's seen that says he could be paralyzed if he keeps playing.

3) As paraphrased from Dick Vermiel, the hip injury he suffered in 2002 was nothing like the one that cost Bo Jackson his career. If you can find a quote that says otherwise, please provide it.

dtebbe
11-10-2005, 07:48 PM

I agree that Priest deserves the benefit of the doubt.

But I have to disagree with you about DT. There were PLENTY of people knocking DT the last couple years he played. To me he WAS the chiefs, and any diminishing of skills were more than offset purely by his presence on the field. You could always count on him, and Priest is the same way, until someone PROVES different.

DT

CHIEF4EVER
11-10-2005, 08:04 PM
1) He held the team hostage in the 2003 offseason and threatened to sit out the season until he got his contract (the one that he had agreed to in 2001) renegotiated. He forced us to waste a 1st round pick on another RB just in case he carried through on this threat.

2) Please provide a quote from any of the doctors he's seen that says he could be paralyzed if he keeps playing.

3) As paraphrased from Dick Vermiel, the hip injury he suffered in 2002 was nothing like the one that cost Bo Jackson his career. If you can find a quote that says otherwise, please provide it.

1) BS. We picked LJ because of the uncertainty about the injury and whether he would be back. The decision was only partly based on a possible holdout. Beyond that, he certainly outperformed his original contract and had every right to ask for market value.

2) Can't give a quote per se but it was reported repeatedly that way on Sirius NFL radio.

3) Neither you nor I know if what the front office said was just media posturing or not. For the moment i'll digress on the point.