View Full Version : Merrill: Holmes' father says Priest will not retire

tk13
11-11-2005, 02:21 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13137563.htm

DAD: PRIEST ISN’T RETIRING
Holmes’ father says his son ‘wants to go out his way’

By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

If there was any consolation on a gloomy Thursday in Texas, it was that Priest Holmes will get to see his sons play in the Pop Warner playoffs this weekend.

With the blessing of the Chiefs’ front office, Holmes went home to clear his head as news hit that he’ll miss the rest of the season. He’s irritated, disappointed and down, said Holmes’ father, Herman Morris. He’s resting with his family and, in typical Priest fashion, laying low.

But before he slipped into obscurity, Holmes made one thing clear in a conversation with his father, an Iraq veteran and confidant.

“He’s not contemplating retirement,” Morris said. “He wants to go out on top. He wants to go out his way.

“He plans on walking off, at God’s will, writing his own script, not having someone else write it for him.”

After days of rampant retirement speculation, the Chiefs announced Wednesday that Holmes, the franchise’s all-time rushing leader, had been placed on injured reserve because of head and neck trauma. Holmes wanted to come back and play so badly, his father said, that he initially had hoped to return in four weeks, when doctors have the first opportunity to clear him.

With the uncertainty of Holmes’ timetable — and a lack of depth at running back — the Chiefs had to move quickly and signed Dee Brown as their No. 2 back behind Larry Johnson. Coach Dick Vermeil said Thursday that he “wasn’t presented with that kind of option” of waiting at least a month for Holmes.

“It was too uncertain,” Vermeil said. “You can’t predict what neurosurgeons are going to say in 30 days. Plus, it’s a lot different. You have tons of elbows and knees and those kinds of things to evaluate and compare rehab time. With this kind of thing, you don’t.”

Holmes, 32, has been bothered by neurological issues since training camp, issues that intensified after a shoulder injury against Oakland in September and a helmet-to-helmet collision at San Diego on Oct. 30. What followed were three medical evaluations and the recommendation that Holmes avoid physical contact for a minimum of 30 days. He’ll be re-evaluated then, around the time the Chiefs are preparing for their 13th game at Dallas.

Morris said his son took the news hard but understood. He said Holmes does not have a lump on his spine — as reported this week by a local TV station — and will be back in Kansas City next week to support his 5-3 team. He watched from an upstairs suite last weekend as Johnson ran for 107 yards and the game-winning touchdown as time expired against Oakland. He has quietly supported Johnson, who has emerged into a budding NFL talent.

Maybe that’s why Holmes was worried this week when his health status became a full-blown scene at Arrowhead Stadium.

“Priest hopes that this doesn’t cause a distraction for the team,” Morris said. “Because it means a lot to the city, this team winning. He sees the impact it has on the city. He wants the city to have a winning team. He just hopes this media frenzy and the speculation don’t affect the players and the organization.”

When Holmes was in high school and college, coaches called the 5-foot-9 back an overachiever. Too small, too slow, too injury-prone, they’d say. Holmes always proved them wrong. And in the solitude of San Antonio on Thursday, something told Morris that he’d do it again.

He still loves the game, Morris said. There’s still another chapter to write.

“What we want Priest to do is get healthy and get ready to play next year,” Vermeil said. “And we’ve got to get this football team ready to play. That’s the cold, harder part of this business. It just keeps right on going.”

Miles
11-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Sounds like good news at least. I'd love to have him back next season. Not just to go out on a better note than this year, but becuase he would be very usefuly in a more limited role next year.

greg63
11-11-2005, 02:25 AM
He'll be back next year.

Spicy McHaggis
11-11-2005, 03:37 AM
Prie$t is all about the money, right Whitlock? douche.

old_geezer
11-11-2005, 06:51 AM
If he comes back next year it should be with the distinct understanding that he is now the backup to Larry Johnson. I have no desire to put my money on a 33 year old RB who has failed to finish 3 of the last 4 seasons and piss away a stud young running back in the process.

StcChief
11-11-2005, 07:01 AM
If he comes back next year it should be with the distinct understanding that he is now the backup to Larry Johnson. I have no desire to put my money on a 33 year old RB who has failed to finish 3 of the last 4 seasons and piss away a stud young running back in the process.

Chiefs will be contemplating that as LJ season continues.

LJ you wanted the rock, you got the rock, show us what you got.

Starts this week on the road in Buffalo, team is on your shoulders.

We haven't won there in how long......'86 I believe.

We need a real coming out party dude.

Extra Point
11-11-2005, 07:10 AM
'We need a real coming out party dude."

AMEN

Bob Dole
11-11-2005, 07:13 AM
LJ you wanted the rock, you got the rock, show us what you got.

Starts this week on the road in Buffalo, team is on your shoulders.

Holmes wasn't available last week. Why are you starting the "prove it" period this week?

jynni
11-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Holmes, 32, has been bothered by neurological issues since training camp
I wonder if the problems started after Mitchell (at least I think it was him) put the nasty hit on him in training camp?

We haven't won there in how long......'86 I believe.
Well - we took care of the Miami monkey, might as well finish off that one too...

siberian khatru
11-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Well - we took care of the Miami monkey, might as well finish off that one too...

Yeah, let's keep spanking those monkeys!

MOhillbilly
11-11-2005, 08:05 AM
i dont want PH back because A-KC will need the money and B-i dont want any bullshit about playing time between him and LJ and whomever the new HC is.

ROYC75
11-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Holmes wasn't available last week. Why are you starting the "prove it" period this week?

Hey, at least he is only a week late. ROFL

jspchief
11-11-2005, 08:09 AM
What is with KC RBs and their dads?

Do we have any RBs that are adults?

WilliamTheIrish
11-11-2005, 08:26 AM
What is with KC RBs and their dads?

Do we have any RBs that are adults?

NEXT QUESTION!!!

-Drew Rosenhaus

Chiefnj
11-11-2005, 09:22 AM
"Holmes wanted to come back and play so badly, his father said, that he initially had hoped to return in four weeks, when doctors have the first opportunity to clear him."

So Holmes wanted the opportunity to return after 4 weeks which would be the Cowboys game or Giants game but the Chiefs said no? I find that so hard to believe. I mean why carry Sims and Barber all this time on the roster and not give Holmes the same opportunity especially after Holmes has proven he can rehab and be effective?

Why not let Holmes have a roster spot that currently belongs to Svitek or Long? Isn't there a greater chance Holmes would have a bigger positive impact in the final game or two as opposed to Svitek?

This doesn't make much sense to me. Expect a gaggle of reporters to follow Holmes around Texas until he speaks for himself.

Edubs
11-11-2005, 09:30 AM
I will put money that Holmes will come back next year for a few games to get paid.......then he will have another season ending injury. It's only happened 3 out of the last 4 years......why not 4 of the last 5. He better be backing up Larry's a$$ is he comes back.

penchief
11-11-2005, 05:50 PM
"Holmes wanted to come back and play so badly, his father said, that he initially had hoped to return in four weeks, when doctors have the first opportunity to clear him."

So Holmes wanted the opportunity to return after 4 weeks which would be the Cowboys game or Giants game but the Chiefs said no? I find that so hard to believe. I mean why carry Sims and Barber all this time on the roster and not give Holmes the same opportunity especially after Holmes has proven he can rehab and be effective?

Why not let Holmes have a roster spot that currently belongs to Svitek or Long? Isn't there a greater chance Holmes would have a bigger positive impact in the final game or two as opposed to Svitek?

This doesn't make much sense to me. Expect a gaggle of reporters to follow Holmes around Texas until he speaks for himself.

Yeah, there appears to more to this picture than meets the eye. A lot of things about it just don't add up.

Hydrae
11-11-2005, 06:28 PM
When did his dad come back from Iraq?

tommykat
11-11-2005, 07:44 PM
When did his dad come back from Iraq?

Not sure his Dad is back home...?

Red Dawg
11-11-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't thinki LJ needs to prove anything. It's pretty obvious that he can run the ball pretty damn good.

Holmes should not be the starter next year. It hurts me to say that but LJ has the the fresh legs. God bless Holmes he has been beyond fantastic.

Frazod
11-11-2005, 07:51 PM
I hope he recovers.

Then I hope we trade his ass before it's four out of five seasons ended on IR.

The Holmes era is over. It's time for Johnson.

tommykat
11-11-2005, 07:52 PM
I hope he recovers.

:eek: Just speak your mind Frazzy ROFL

milkman
11-11-2005, 08:00 PM
I hope he recovers.

I agree with this sentiment.

I disagree with this, however.

I think it is time for the LJ era, but I would like to see Priest used in the same manner as Faulk in StLouie.

Frazod
11-11-2005, 08:03 PM
I agree with this sentiment.

I disagree with this, however.

I think it is time for the LJ era, but I would like to see Priest used in the same manner as Faulk in StLouie.

I would like to see Priest traded for a really good offensive lineman. We're going to need some of those.

milkman
11-11-2005, 08:07 PM
I would like to see Priest traded for a really good offensive lineman. We're going to need some of those.

No doubt.

But the one area that Carl has proven he can evaluate is O-Line talent.

Don't believe we'd have to see Priest traded for that area of concern.

Raiderhater
11-11-2005, 08:37 PM
I will put money that Holmes will come back next year for a few games to get paid.......then he will have another season ending injury. It's only happened 3 out of the last 4 years......why not 4 of the last 5. He better be backing up Larry's a$$ is he comes back.

I'm getting rather sick of this crap. I fully understand that money is a motivation to Holmes, just like it is every other person on the planet. But this suggestion that he will come back next year and play in just enough games to get paid and then have another season ending injury, as if he is planning it, and has planned the injuries of the past, is complete and utter bullshit. Beyond that, it is down right disrespectful to a man who has been the consumate gridiron warrior, tearing up his body while you sit there and cheer him on for doing so (not to mention never complaining about it, or using it as an excuse). How many hours of entertainment has he provided you while his body was hurting like hell? How many great memories has he given you while taking shots that will stay with him the rest of his life?

Sure he was being paid well for it (well, eventually anyway), but do not sit there and tell me that the man who played through pain week in and week out, do not tell me that the man who was on crutches all week leading up to a game and still played like you would have never guessed that to be the case, don't tell me, do not even insinuate that that man is PLANNING to have a season/career ending injury after he locks up his money. He deserves better after what he has given us the past 5 years.

penchief
11-11-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm getting rather sick of this crap. I fully understand that money is a motivation to Holmes, just like it is every other person on the planet. But this suggestion that he will come back next year and play in just enough games to get paid and then have another season ending injury, as if he is planning it, and has planned the injuries of the past, is complete and utter bullshit. Beyond that, it is down right disrespectful to a man who has been the consumate gridiron warrior, tearing up his body while you sit there and cheer him on for doing so (not to mention never complaining about it, or using it as an excuse). How many hours of entertainment has he provided you while his body was hurting like hell? How many great memories has he given you while taking shots that will stay with him the rest of his life?

Sure he was being paid well for it (well, eventually anyway), but do not sit there and tell me that the man who played through pain week in and week out, do not tell me that the man who was on crutches all week leading up to a game and still played like you would have never guessed that to be the case, don't tell me, do not even insinuate that that man is PLANNING to have a season/career ending injury after he locks up his money. He deserves better after what he has given us the past 5 years.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment that Priest is not planning all of this out. I also agree with you completely that Priest is a helluva football player. However, I was criticized heavily for suggesting that Priest has a bit of manipulation in him but I still believe that.

Before I get flamed again, I want to point out that I have stated here at least on two occasions that my three favorite RBs of all time are Ed Podolak, Terry Metcalf, and Priest Holmes. My favorite play in all of football is the 11 yard run and Priest is the master.

So when I say these things I am only suggesting that they are my observations. And from my obversation of Priest Holmes off the field, I believe that he conducts himself in a way that, while it may be in the best interests of Holmes personally, it has not always been in the best interests of the team.

He played his contract situation like a fiddle and he continues to keep the team in the dark about his health and his intentions surrounding subsequent injuries. He always says the right things to the media and knows how to promote himself very well. But also, he has seemed more than willing to accept the arbitrary and unfair RB rotation concocted by Vermeil/Saunders. That, IMO, also says something about his character. He knows that LJ has outperformed him from the time training camp started. So his voluntary complicity in promoting that rotation might lead some to believe that he is more concerned with his own legacy than he is about doing the right thing.

Not saying it's so, just saying that he might not be all that which we all have elevated him to. On the field though, his style represents the model running back for me.

Raiderhater
11-11-2005, 09:53 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment that Priest is not planning all of this out. I also agree with you completely that Priest is a helluva football player. However, I was criticized heavily for suggesting that Priest has a bit of manipulation in him but I still believe that.

I called him a calculating sonofagun just the the other day. He is an excellent chess player, of course there is some manipulation in him, that does not necessarily make him evil.

Before I get flamed again, I want to point out that I have stated here at least on two occasions that my three favorite RBs of all time are Ed Podolak, Terry Metcalf, and Priest Holmes. My favorite play in all of football is the 11 yard run and Priest is the master.

And yet you have been pushing extremely hard for LJ to start over Priest... Kind of ironic if you think about it.

So when I say these things I am only suggesting that they are my observations. And from my obversation of Priest Holmes off the field, I believe that he conducts himself in a way that, while it may be in the best interests of Holmes personally, it has not always been in the best interests of the team.

I could understand this line of thinking if he was one of those players who after receiving his big contract his production dropped off. However, Priest has continued to produce at a level worthy of his contract. Maybe he was a bit shrewd in getting his contract, but he has earned every penny of it when on the field. I really do not see how that is not in the best interest of the team. He has held up his end of the bargain, hard to critize him when he does that. Especially given the fact that he could have handled it so much differently. He could have been a T.O., he could have let his talent and success go to his head and TRULY jeopardized the team.

He played his contract situation like a fiddle and he continues to keep the team in the dark about his health and his intentions surrounding subsequent injuries. He always says the right things to the media and knows how to promote himself very well. But also, he has seemed more than willing to accept the arbitrary and unfair RB rotation concocted by Vermeil/Saunders. That, IMO, also says something about his character. He knows that LJ has outperformed him from the time training camp started. So his voluntary complicity in promoting that rotation might lead some to believe that he is more concerned with his own legacy than he is about doing the right thing.

So let me get this straight, when LJ wants the ball it is a good thing, because you want someone who wants the ball in his hands. But when Priest wants the ball, is being a greedy bastard who refuses to accept his time is up.

Furthermore, I pointed this out to you the other day and you failed to respond to it; after the Miami game DV said that at point Priest had the opportunity to go back in, but Holmes said to continue letting LJ pound it. That just doesn't sound the guy you are attempting to describe.

Once again, the LJ over Priest group demonstartes why I even bothered to get involved in those discussions when they were relevant. The damn hypocrisy and refusal to accept facts is enough to drive a guy like me crazy.

Not saying it's so, just saying that he might not be all that which we all have elevated him to. On the field though, his style represents the model running back for me.

And so long as his style off the field is not a detrement to the team like a T.O., who the f#ck cares?