PDA

View Full Version : Al Davis = furious

cmh6476
11-11-2005, 09:34 AM
AROUND THE LEAGUE

_Raiders owner Al Davis is furious over the officiating in Sunday's 27-23, last-second loss to the Chiefs in Kansas City.

For the third straight year, the Raiders drew referee Larry Nemmers' crew for the road trip to KC. And for the third straight year, Nemmers' crew played a role in the outcome. The Raiders have lost all three games, by eight total points. The Chiefs' game-winning drive Sunday was helped along by a tripping penalty on Raiders defensive tackle Ed Jasper that negated a sack of Trent Green. The penalty gave the Chiefs a first down at midfield with 27 seconds left. Three plays later, running back Larry Johnson scored on a 1-yard dive with no time left.

Sources close to Davis say he doesn't understand why the league allows Nemmers, who is from Springfield, Mo., to work so many Chiefs games. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said it's strictly a coincidence that Nemmers and his crew have worked the last three Raiders games in KC. He said crew assignments are selected randomly by a computer and don't take into account where the officials live. He also said crews are not allowed to work more than two of a team's games per season. And those games must be at least six weeks apart. Nemmers and his crew also worked the Raiders' 23-20, Week 3 loss to the Eagles. Davis, sources say, blames them for that defeat as well.

In that game, a roughing-the-passer penalty on linebacker DeLawrence Grant kept alive a drive that resulted in the Eagles' go-ahead touchdown. Safety Nnamdi Asomugha also was called for illegal contact on the Eagles' game-winning drive.

_Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil has been roundly praised for his gutsy decision to go for it from the one-yard line with five seconds left Sunday against the Raiders rather than kick a gimme field goal and send the game into overtime. He actually was the only one on the sideline who (ital) didn't (end ital) want to go for it. He was inclined to kick the field goal before offensive coordinator Al Saunders talked him into going for the game-winning touchdown.

_With Rams coach Mike Martz not expected back next season, Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron is considered the leading candidate to replace him. Where Martz, who is recovering from a bacterial infection of his heart valve, will end up still is anybody's guess. But with more than a half-dozen head-coaching jobs expected to be vacant, he almost certainly will coach somewhere next year.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13141689.htm

WilliamTheIrish
11-11-2005, 09:35 AM
That's shame.

Brock
11-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Like they didn't make any bad calls against KC. Somebody needs to change Al's diaper.

NewChief
11-11-2005, 09:36 AM
I'm so sick of people totally glossing over the 3 horrible calls against the Chiefs that gave the Raiders 30+ yards on a 50 yard scoring drive. It's not like the officiating didn't also suck against the Chiefs.

RealSNR
11-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Poor guy. Old man Davis doesn't have much to look foward to in the last years of his life. The Fade sucks ass, and he gets constipated every week. Shame.

DaFace
11-11-2005, 09:42 AM
He (DV) actually was the only one on the sideline who didn't want to go for it.

I'm pretty sure this is BS. I watched the Game of the Week section where all that was happening a number of times, and it certainly seemed like DV was the one making the call. Could be wrong, though.

ChiTown
11-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Somebody please go give Al a power shaking. We need to see if we can knock some of that sand out of his crusty 'ol gina.

KcMizzou
11-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Cry me a f*cking river.

Bwana
I call BS! It is a well know fact that Davis has been dead for at least two years, stuffed like a 7 point buck mount and hauled into the various booths around the league via a two wheel cart the night before games. If Davis is talking, they must have Miss Cleo on their staff to hear the voice of Al from “the other side.”

mcan
It's not a bad call... He didn't do it on purpose, but he absolutely tackled Trent Green with his feet. It's a penalty. Intent has NOTHING to do with penalties in the NFL. If you jump offsides, nobody argues that you WANTED to...

Also, unless Dick Vermeil was lying after the game, he also thought going for it was the best option. He consulted with Al Saunders and Mike Solari, who both agreed... They didn't "talk him into it" just because the head coach wanted to talk to his offensive coordinator first. I seem to remember Dick saying during the post game that 'They (the Raiders) had driven the field twice the last two drives and scored, and I just felt that if we lost the coin toss, they'd do the same thing again.'

Archie F. Swin
11-11-2005, 09:47 AM
I wonder if J. Allen thinks there were any questionable calls?

milkman
11-11-2005, 09:48 AM
I'm so sick of people totally glossing over the 3 horrible calls against the Chiefs that gave the Raiders 30+ yards on a 50 yard scoring drive. It's not like the officiating didn't also suck against the Chiefs.

What I find amusing, and somewhat ironic is his bitching about the officials bad call keeping the Chiefs drive alive, but then reading this about the Philly game.

In that game, a roughing-the-passer penalty on linebacker DeLawrence Grant kept alive a drive that resulted in the Eagles' go-ahead touchdown. Safety Nnamdi Asomugha also was called for illegal contact on the Eagles' game-winning drive.

Uhh....Al, why don't you mention that bogus roughing the passer penalty against Allen that kept your scoring drive alive?

Do we have selective vision?

MOhillbilly
11-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Like they didn't make any bad calls against KC. Somebody needs to change Al's OPPPSS I CRAPED MY PANTS.

:)

jAZ
11-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Ya know, I can understand his objection to someone from Missouri refing the Chiefs game. You don't actually know if the guy is a Chiefs fan or a Rams fan who hates the Chiefs. But in any case, I can understand his complaint, and I'm sure CP would be similarly pissed if the situation were somewhat reversed and some ref from Boulder was doing the Broncos/Chiefs game in Denver and there were 3 close loses involving disputed calls.

Donger
11-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Ya know, I can understand his objection to someone from Missouri refing the Chiefs game. You don't actually know if the guy is a Chiefs fan or a Rams fan who hates the Chiefs. But in any case, I can understand his complaint, and I'm sure CP would be similarly pissed if the situation were somewhat reversed and some ref from Boulder was doing the Broncos/Chiefs game in Denver and there were 3 close loses involving disputed calls.

Wow. Your propensity for conspiracy oozes into football as well?

Nzoner
11-11-2005, 10:26 AM
http://www.chargertom.com/davisbathroom1.jpg

BIG_DADDY
11-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Give me a break what a convenient memory. What about the two phantom back to back holding calls at the end of the 1st half that even made Randy Cross scratch his head and killed a great drive and scoring opportunity? What about the rear naked choke/hold Gallahway did right in front of the refs that was completely ignored and mysteriously turned into a roughing the passer call that kept the drive alive? Al needs to just cash in his chips already.

Pitt Gorilla
11-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Give me a break what a convenient memory. What about the two phantom back to back holding calls at the end of the 1st half that even made Randy Cross scratch his head and killed a great drive and scoring opportunity? What about the rear naked choke/hold Gallahway did right in front of the refs that was completely ignored and mysteriously turned into a roughing the passer call that kept the drive alive? Al needs to just cash in his chips already.I agree. The Raiders were handed a TD with 45 yards of crap penalties. Al really can't complain about this one.

RINGLEADER
11-11-2005, 10:36 AM
Say want you want about the tripping call, I went back and listed to the Raiders broadcast of the game and right after the flag was thrown the announcer said "it looks like it will be tripping on the Raiders Ed Jasper". He said it right as the play ended.

If the guy up in the booth announcing the game for the Raiders thought it was a penalty in real time I don't see why the Raiders are so convinced it would be impossible for the ref on the field to see the same thing.

RINGLEADER
11-11-2005, 10:37 AM
I agree. The Raiders were handed a TD with 45 yards of crap penalties. Al really can't complain about this one.

And then there's that too...

StcChief
11-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Get over it.

This is a weekly occurence all over the NFL.
Missed/blown calls happen.

Hammock Parties
11-11-2005, 10:45 AM
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4784/alemperor4to.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1972/alvader9og.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Wile_E_Coyote
11-11-2005, 10:51 AM
give the old man credit. The Raiders are losing & he is playing right into the fans ref hate

redfan
11-11-2005, 10:51 AM
What about the two phantom back to back holding calls at the end of the 1st half that even made Randy Cross scratch his head ...

I was watching the vid of the game and just about had a giant spit take when known Chiefs-hater Cross was actually questioning a holding call on the Chiefs. RC had some good things to say about the Chiefs; it blew my freaking mind.
I'm not ready for bizzaro Randy Cross.

Bob Dole
11-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Did he also express outrage that there was no flag for the helmet-to-helmet hit on Priest Holmes that ended his season?

Area 51
11-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Did he also express outrage that there was no flag for the helmet-to-helmet hit on Priest Holmes that ended his season?

Change the name quick before you lose total respect of everyone on the board!!!!

sedated
11-11-2005, 11:08 AM
I wonder if J. Allen thinks there were any questionable calls?
:clap:

AL needs to take a bath, comb his greasy hair, change his jumpsuit, and shut the f*ck up.

Calcountry
11-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Like they didn't make any bad calls against KC. Somebody needs to change Al's diaper.I think LJ has some left over in his closet. :D

Calcountry
11-11-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm so sick of people totally glossing over the 3 horrible calls against the Chiefs that gave the Raiders 30+ yards on a 50 yard scoring drive. It's not like the officiating didn't also suck against the Chiefs.I have probably watched more Raiders games than anyone here, and let me tell you, they get their share of the calls. All those years that they were winning and going to the super bowl in the 70's and 80's. My dad and I said, damn, the officials are for the raiders.

It is my conclusion, that losers always have a problem with the officiating. They have to have a scape goat. Really, how many threads were bitching, myself included, about the officiating of the San Diego game? That pass play out of bounds cost us? Please. Losses are the accumulation of the play for the entire game.

You truely are getting that second childhood going there Al. Its all the officials fault. lol Enjoy your committment to excellence "Bernie."

|Zach|
11-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Springtown!

Hammock Parties
11-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Springtown!

What?

|Zach|
11-11-2005, 11:21 AM
What?I said... SPRINGTOWN!

Hammock Parties
11-11-2005, 11:23 AM
I said... SPRINGTOWN!

How is that relevant to this thread?

Cntrygal
11-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Davis didn't seem too upset by the officiating when the Bills came to Oakland.

|Zach|
11-11-2005, 11:26 AM
How is that relevant to this thread?Reread the topic post.

Springtown represent!

Hammock Parties
11-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Reread the topic post.

Springtown represent!

I am glad it only took us six posts to get this worked out.

|Zach|
11-11-2005, 11:28 AM
I am glad it only took us six posts to get this worked out.For some reason the idea of just repeating what I said struck me as funny.

As if you didn't hear it.