PDA

View Full Version : BOOMER - Week 10

DaFace
11-12-2005, 10:16 AM
I didn't see this posted yesterday. Kick me or something if it's a repost.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/11/11/boomer_grigsby__rookie_diary10/
(In order to fully appreciate this week's article, you should really read it on the Chiefs web site. That pic of Boomer is classic.)

-----

BOOMER GRIGSBY - Rookie Diary
Nov 11, 2005, 3:48:48 PM

Rookie Diary
Week 10 – November 13, 2005

There is no other way to start today’s entry other than to talk about last Sunday’s win over the Oakland Raiders. That was easily when of the most memorable moments of my entire life. Coach Vermeil always talks about how you have those overwhelming moments in your life that make you feel like you are on top of the world and nothing can ever bring you down. Probably in your whole life combined you might get six hours worth of those moments if you add them all together. They are so few and far between, but that’s what makes them wonderful. Sunday was one of those moments.

Chiefs-Raiders, to win the game with no time left on the clock on a diving TD over the offensive line’s surge into the end zone was absolutely one of the greatest endings I’ve ever been a part of.

As soon as we won, I dropped my helmet and did a few extremely high tuck-jumps, then sprinted to the middle of the field and then took off sprinting to the end zone. I tried to dive into the crowd like I was Larry Johnson and I had just scored the winning touchdown. I remember looking up and seeing Jason Dunn giving high fives to everyone in the end zone and I jumped right in like I was in on the play. I still don’t know where my helmet went. It was a truly amazing experience.

Before the game Trent Green stepped up in the locker room and put together one of those memorable speeches that brings chills to your arms. What he said touched us all and was so real. I don’t think some fans really have the perspective that they can see it from the inside like I can. I can sit here and vouch for Trent as being one of the most genuine and poised leaders I have ever had the honor to be around.

What he said before the game was inspiring. He told us how we would part of his family and he reassured us of how ready he was to play. No one felt the need for him to do that, but for him to address the team like that and show us his confidence shows how amazing of a leader he is. I really do feel honored to play with him. For us to win and Coach Vermeil to give him the game ball for his family was even more important than actually beating the Raiders. It was more real.

We had so many outstanding performances in that game. Dewayne Washington might still be underrated after the game because he didn’t have INTs and huge hits, but he was great. Being a 12-year veteran at one of the toughest, most athletic positions – cornerback – is a true testament to how much of a pro he is. He locked up Randy Moss, the greatest receiver in the game – and he had three special teams tackles!

Then on the last play… I’ve had a chance to watch it several times from our coach’s tape. Jason Dunn just smashed linebacker Kirk Morrison, Brian Waters smashes another linebacker Danny Clark and T-Rich didn’t really have anyone to hit, but still threw a shoulder at a guy. Then Larry goes up and over and the reaction of the offensive line is so cool. It’s something I want to put on DVD and save for the rest of my life.

That call to go for the win by Coach Vermeil showed the utmost confidence in the team and it showed a lot of courage from him. That doesn’t happen in the NFL. You usually try to cover your hide with the safe call, but he went for the gold and got it. I have a lot of respect for him to make that call. In hindsight everybody can say they would have done it, but that took courage and trust in your team. I’m so glad he made that call.

Oh, and one of the greatest parts about it was I got to be a captain for the game. So I got to be out there for the coin flip. And yes, I got to meet Randy Moss, and mean mug Randy Moss. I gave him the look like someday I’m going to be able to get a hold of you and tear you apart.

Usually I’d like to stay humble, but at this point I can’t.

I was a captain of the Chiefs-Raiders game, the day the Chiefs beat the Raiders with no time left on the clock at Arrowhead and swept the season series!

Oh, here’s a funny story. I was so excited and locked in before the game that I played the whole game with two different shoes on. Yep, I didn’t even know about it until after the game. Now, I did have a left and right shoe on. And in my defense the shoes looked the same. But I wore one shoe with seven spikes and one shoe with 14 molded spikes. When the players called me out was after the game when Marc Boerigter told me about it. He said he noticed it at halftime, but didn’t say anything. Thanks a lot. They got a good laugh out of me.

Anyway, I have many, many goals for my career and hopefully many more great moments, but I will always remember that game.

I got to use my football skills outside of Arrowhead this week – that was fun. Usually we have to separate the way we act off the field from the way we act on the field. If we went around town acting like we do when we’re playing we’d probably be arrested and thrown in prison. But I got to use those football skills at a furniture store this week. I bought a big chair and a gigantic bean bag chair. So we loaded the regular chair in the back of my SUV, but couldn’t the bean bag to fit. It was hanging out the back by a couple feet. I would not fit. Well, my dad always told me that I was, “a bull in a china cabinet” and that I could, “tear up an anvil.” So, in true form I backed up a few feet, acted like a bull kicking up dust and then charged at the bean bag, jamming it into the car. I really put about two or three good hits on it. I’d like to think I hurt the bean bag. If it wasn’t black already, I’m pretty sure I would have bruised it.

Looking ahead, I’ve very excited to play Buffalo this weekend. The Bills have some of the best special teams in the NFL and they are kind of renowned for winning games by way of special teams. They have a great returner in Terrence McGee and they have outstanding coverage units, too. This game will be our biggest special teams challenge of the year to this point. I like playing against a top special teams unit because I feel like that gives me even more of a chance to make an impact on winning or losing the game than usual. I’m excited for it.

We need to continue the momentum we got from that Raiders win and try to keep this thing rolling all the way right into the playoffs. One week at a time, though.

Talk to you next week,

Boomer

Rain Man
11-12-2005, 12:27 PM
I wonder how many different pairs of shoes they have?

DaFace
11-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Who knows? You would think he would have noticed a difference in traction between a 7-spike and a 14-spike shoe. He must have been pretty pumped up about the game.

StcChief
11-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Boomer is still wowed about being in the NFL and that is good....

He's going to be a good player and enjoy it.

I'd like to see him mug/flatten Moss. Maybe next year.

HemiEd
11-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Quote: "So I got to be out there for the coin flip. And yes, I got to meet Randy Moss, and mean mug Randy Moss. I gave him the look like someday I’m going to be able to get a hold of you and tear you apart."

ROFL ROFL

chefsos
11-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Quote: "So I got to be out there for the coin flip. And yes, I got to meet Randy Moss, and mean mug Randy Moss. I gave him the look like someday I’m going to be able to get a hold of you and tear you apart."

ROFL ROFL

I loved that quote, too. Wish I could have seen him do that.

HemiEd
11-12-2005, 07:40 PM
I loved that quote, too. Wish I could have seen him do that.

Same here.
I really like this guy, he is very genuine and honest.

Bob Dole
11-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Gopher Scanlon should have been the captain.

arrowhead20
11-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Boomer is my age and he sounds like someone that would hang out with my friends, and get along famously as well, you know hes way more cooler than his diary admits, i bet he drinks the chit out of beer, and probably rips on everyone when plowed too,
somebody get me his phone #, i need to party w/ him

4th and Long
11-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Gopher Scanlon should have been the captain.
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/267/gopher912qs.jpg

DaFace
11-12-2005, 09:05 PM
That pic of Boomer in the air would look great with a gopher head. Of course, you would need to change the number, too, which might be more trouble than it's worth.

4th and Long
11-12-2005, 09:09 PM
That pic of Boomer in the air would look great with a gopher head. Of course, you would need to change the number, too, which might be more trouble than it's worth.
I would never put Gopher's head on Boomer's body. Ever. All I can do is this:

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/2999/boomergopher9at.jpg

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/1010/boomergopher20jv.jpg

:D

Eleazar
11-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Boomer is my age and he sounds like someone that would hang out with my friends, and get along famously as well, you know hes way more cooler than his diary admits, i bet he drinks the chit out of beer, and probably rips on everyone when plowed too,
somebody get me his phone #, i need to party w/ him

One of my friends met him at a bar, and his discription was essentially like you describe.

DaFace
11-12-2005, 09:13 PM
I would never put Gopher's head on Boomer's body. Ever. All I can do is this:

Good enough. ROFL

redfan
11-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Great read. Thanks for posting.

Now get outa heeeeeeeres! :)

/kicks arse on way out door