PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from collectable experts.

redbrian
11-12-2005, 10:38 AM
We had a drawing at work the other day and I was the winner of a Derrick Johnson #56 autographed football.

How should I display this, does it need to be left in the box, and should I place a date on it as this is Derricks rookie year?

Sully
11-12-2005, 10:48 AM
I'd put it in an acrylic case and display it. It doesn't seem like something that would need to stay in the box to hold value, since obviously it's been out before. You could maybe have a little engraved thing on it with the date and his stats or something.

Saulbadguy
11-12-2005, 10:51 AM
It'll be fine in an acrylic case. I wouldn't keep it around the house if it is a smoking home. Otherwise it will be fine.

redbrian
11-12-2005, 10:55 AM
I'd put it in an acrylic case and display it. It doesn't seem like something that would need to stay in the box to hold value, since obviously it's been out before. You could maybe have a little engraved thing on it with the date and his stats or something.

That sounds like a good idea, its never been out of the box, he was able to sign it in the box as the front of the box is open. Its not a game ball but a new wilson autograph model (full size).

I know toys lose a lot of value when removed from the box and did not know if this was the same type of thing.

Sully
11-12-2005, 10:57 AM
When it comes to collecting this type of stuff, it takes so long for it to gain value, you should just collect it for personal enjoyment, anyway. It'll look better in an acrylic, and I treally don't think it will affect the eventual value, anyway.

redbrian
11-12-2005, 10:59 AM
When it comes to collecting this type of stuff, it takes so long for it to gain value, you should just collect it for personal enjoyment, anyway. It'll look better in an acrylic, and I treally don't think it will affect the eventual value, anyway.

That is my main intent, I don't ever plan on selling it but I would hate to lose any value on the ball when I turn it over to my kids in about 40 years or so (god willing).

Sully
11-12-2005, 11:01 AM
I think that it would almost be safer and more likely to be in good condition in the case than in a box.

NewChief
11-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Not sure about footballs, but you might keep the original box. On some things having the original packaging is important, even if it's been removed. Like others said, it probably won't send your kids through college or anything anyway, so just enjoy it.

redbrian
11-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Not sure about footballs, but you might keep the original box. On some things having the original packaging is important, even if it's been removed. Like others said, it probably won't send your kids through college or anything anyway, so just enjoy it.

Thats a good idea, I can remove the football and flatpack the box away.
I may even try and find a rookie card to put in the display.

Sully
11-12-2005, 11:16 AM
By the way, I'm not at all a collectible expert, so it may be best to go to a card store and ask they guy in there.

jspchief
11-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Is there any sort of authentication?

If not, the ball probably won't be that valuable anyway. With all the fakes in sports memorabilia, things that aren't authenticated are usually tough to get any value out of.

Of course, to me, the value would be in just having it in my home.

Ebolapox
11-12-2005, 06:05 PM
1) have it authenticated if at all possible--PSA-dna (yes, that's psa's full name for you card geeks) has an autograph authenticating branch

2) direct sunlight--avoid it--it's an autograph's worst nightmare

-EB-