PDA

View Full Version : Alright, I've got $200

Jenson71
11-12-2005, 01:23 PM
I want to put it into a stock that's great for long term investments. Or should I put it in one of those trust fund things that grow exponentially? Are those just a fraud or can I really put $2000 in now and when I'm 60 it'll be $3,000,000?

I'm thinking Microsoft. They're definitely reliable for the long term, right?

Demonpenz
11-12-2005, 01:31 PM
nascar die casts

Rain Man
11-12-2005, 01:41 PM
My most recent buy was a mutual fund, Gabelli Equity Income AAA (GABEX). It's a large-cap fund that has had an average return of 11.92 percent over the last 13 years, while also being classified as low-risk by Morningstar, with above-average returns. It has outperformed the S&P 500 in 1 yr, 3 yr, 5 yr, and 10 yr returns.

Or if you like an individual stock, my latest purchase follows demonpenz's advice. ISCA, the International Stock Car Association, is not universally loved, but I like the looks of it. I just bought some about a month ago.

Calcountry
11-12-2005, 01:42 PM
I want to put it into a stock that's great for long term investments. Or should I put it in one of those trust fund things that grow exponentially? Are those just a fraud or can I really put $2000 in now and when I'm 60 it'll be $3,000,000?

I'm thinking Microsoft. They're definitely reliable for the long term, right200 bucks? How much money do you make per year?

Put the bones in a savings account, if you haven't pulled it back out in 2 months, and have added another few hundred each month, and can do that for a 2 years, and have 5000 minimum saved up, then you might think about a brokerage account. The better thing to do, if you seriously can live without the money, is to open an IRA and park the dough there.

When you have enough money to invest in something, then you can still do that if your IRA is with a brokerage firm like Etrade or Schwab.

You can contribute up to 3000 bucks/ year to the account tax free, but don't plan on being able to pull it out without a significant penalty.

Consider it money spent everytime you put some in.

Good luck.

\

FAX
11-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Perhaps, Mr. Jenson71, you should consider investing in companies that manufacture coffee cups ... or the people who make M&Ms. Clearly, as the alternate universe continues to intrude on ours, there will be shortages of these items which will, in turn, cause a dramatic increase in demand.

FAX THE TIPSTER

luv
11-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Perhaps, Mr. Jenson71, you should consider investing in companies that manufacture coffee cups ... or the people who make M&Ms. Clearly, as the alternate universe continutes to intrude on ours, there will be shortages of these items which will, in turn, cause a dramatic increase in demand.

FAX THE TIPSTER
Very nice cross-thread reference. Creative. I give it a 9.

Rain Man
11-12-2005, 01:56 PM
2) Whoa... FAX is back?

It turned out that he was just out of toner.

Mr. Laz
11-12-2005, 01:57 PM
200 bucks in not really feasible for a stock unless it's a high risk low price stock(under $10 per)

$200 = savings account (there are some who give you 4%+ now)

just my 2 cents ~ *sticking with the financial theme*~

FAX
11-12-2005, 02:00 PM
200 bucks in not really feasible for a stock unless it's a high risk low price stock(under $10 per)

$200 = savings account

Never underestimate the power of compound interest, Mr. Laz. Or compound saws, for that matter.

FAX THE ECONOMIST AND OCCASIONAL CARPENTER

luv
11-12-2005, 02:00 PM

$200 = savings account (there are some who give you 4%+ now)
He put $2000 in the actual content of the thread, but $200 in the subject. I would say the advice would depend on whichever amount he meant.

Braincase
11-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Spend it now. If you invest it, yeah it might turn into three million bucks, but by the time that happens, three million might only be worth $199.00 in today's market.

Jenson71
11-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Spend it now. If you invest it, yeah it might turn into three million bucks, but by the time that happens, three million might only be worth $199.00 in today's market.

Think how much bags of pop rocks and blowpops I could get for $200. Okay, I'm going out now.

Mr. Laz
11-12-2005, 02:23 PM
what i really need is a viable long term investment for 2 children's(age 5 and 9)

something that will continue to grow even if something happens to me.

prolly starting with about 25k for each kids

any longterm trust/college type investments that trustworthy without much/any maintenance?

Jenson71
11-12-2005, 02:25 PM
I don't think you can get a hooker in Iowa. But there is a petting zoo about 10 minutes away from my house...

luv
11-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Think how much bags of pop rocks and blowpops I could get for $200. Okay, I'm going out now.
My birthday is next week, and Christmas is just around the corner.

FAX
11-12-2005, 02:30 PM
I believe you have answered your own question, Mr. Jenson71. Take your $200 or $2000 or whatever you have and start a hooker import business. Your financial security will be assured.

FAX THE BUSINESS ADVISOR

Calcountry
11-12-2005, 02:30 PM
what i really need is a viable long term investment for 2 children's(age 5 and 9)

something that will continue to grow even if something happens to me.

prolly starting with about 25k for each kids

any longterm trust/college type investments that trustworthy without much/any maintenance?Kellog, symbol K, is a stalwart widows and orphans stock, and it has paid a nice dividend for like a hundred years or something. Have the dividends reinvested automatically, it is called a DRIP. Your broker should be able to hook you up.

full disclosure, I own shares of K. :D

past performance is not indicative of future results. :D

Calcountry
11-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Pop rocks and blowpops?!?!?! Dude, HOOKER!

Sheesh. Kids these days.

If you're not gonna buy a hooker, at least spend it on an eight ball. Then you can get a stripper to come over, and she'll stay longer than an hour, too.Oh yeah, are you 18 yet Jenson?

You must reach the age of majority in order to make contracts for "unnecessaries".

Rain Man
11-12-2005, 02:33 PM

Not to mention that whole meteor thing. Imagine scrimping and saving for a lifetime, and then two weeks before retirement a giant meteor hits the earth and destroys all life. That would be very disheartening.

Mr. Laz
11-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Kellog, symbol K, is a stalwart widows and orphans stock, and it has paid a nice dividend for like a hundred years or something. Have the dividends reinvested automatically, it is called a DRIP. Your broker should be able to hook you up.

full disclosure, I own shares of K. :D

past performance is not indicative of future results. :D
thanks ... but when i read your post it looks like this

OldTownChief
11-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Pop rocks and blowpops?!?!?! Dude, HOOKER!

Sheesh. Kids these days.

If you're not gonna buy a hooker, at least spend it on an eight ball. Then you can get a stripper to come over, and she'll stay longer than an hour, too.

An eight ball last you an hour?

OldTownChief
11-12-2005, 02:43 PM
You should try finding a dealer that's a little heavier on the coke and lighter on the baby aspirin.

I was wondering why my headache always goes away when I do that stuff.

Calcountry
11-12-2005, 02:50 PM
thanks ... but when i read your post it looks like thisIts the standard disclaimer that is read on any mutual fund advertisment, and I included it from the standpoint of humor. Obviously, stock picking entails some risk, but the less you bet the more you lose when you win.

DanT
11-12-2005, 04:40 PM
thanks ... but when i read your post it looks like this

Savings Bonds are very safe:

http://www.finaid.org/savings/bonds.phtml

Savings Bonds
US Savings Bonds offer a low-risk and modest return investment for saving for your children's college education. Series EE Savings Bonds and Series I Savings Bonds offer special tax benefits when used for qualified education expenses.

Other instruments discussed include Treasury Inflation-Indexed Securities (TIPS) and Zero Coupon Bonds including STRIPS.

Savings bonds are very safe investments, since they are backed by the full faith and credit of the US government. Principal and earned interest are safe and cannot be lost due to market changes, because Savings Bonds are not marketable securities. Savings bonds are registered with the US Treasury Department, and can be replaced at no cost if lost, stolen or destroyed.

C-Mac
11-12-2005, 04:56 PM

For a lower priced stock with lots of up potential, might look at Sirius Sattelite. They will be lauching the first video channels of its kind this summer.

Mr. Laz
11-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Savings Bonds are very safe:

http://www.finaid.org/savings/bonds.phtml

decent rates?

variable rates?

dtebbe
11-12-2005, 05:13 PM
I would put it in Sirius Radio. Mel Karmazin is the brightest CEO in all of media, and his actions show it. They are gobbling up the best programming (NFL, MLB, NBA, NASCAR, Howard Stern, Martha Stewart, etc.) and they are on the attack. It's right around $7 right now and I bet after 2006 2nd quarter numbers come out they will be between $12-$14.

Also, the product is great, which always helps.

If you want something safe, I-bonds are pretty tough to beat right now, the rate is over 6% right now, and guaranteed. www.treasurydirect.com

AND.. if you don't have one open a roth IRA and put as much in there as you can, while you can. One of the best instruments out there for retirement savings.

DT

Calcountry
11-12-2005, 05:30 PM
decent rates?

variable rates?It is pretty axiomatic, that the higher rate of potential return directly correlates with the amount of risk one assumes. There are all kinds of bond investments available. Corporate, the most risky, munis, government savings bonds and TBills that are backed by the full faith and credit of the US government.

Calcountry
11-12-2005, 05:31 PM
I would put it in Sirius Radio. Mel Karmazin is the brightest CEO in all of media, and his actions show it. They are gobbling up the best programming (NFL, MLB, NBA, NASCAR, Howard Stern, Martha Stewart, etc.) and they are on the attack. It's right around $7 right now and I bet after 2006 2nd quarter numbers come out they will be between $12-$14.

Also, the product is great, which always helps.

If you want something safe, I-bonds are pretty tough to beat right now, the rate is over 6% right now, and guaranteed. www.treasurydirect.com (http://www.treasurydirect.com)

AND.. if you don't have one open a roth IRA and put as much in there as you can, while you can. One of the best instruments out there for retirement savings.

DTI have invested with treasurydirect.com, an excellent and usefull tool.

KCChiefsMan
11-12-2005, 05:32 PM

you won't be able to buy many shares of microsoft with $200, and if you put in $2000 when you're 60 it wouldn't be 3 mil, maybe 100K but thats still pretty good,

Mr. Laz
11-12-2005, 05:35 PM
you won't be able to buy many shares of microsoft with $200, and if you put in $2000 when you're 60 it wouldn't be 3 mil, maybe 100K but thats still pretty good,

so where can i turn 2,000 into 3 million?

i would like to sign up

:)

Calcountry
11-12-2005, 05:38 PM

i would like to sign up

:)1000 in Enron, and 1000 in Worldcom, that will do it quick.:p

DanT
11-12-2005, 05:59 PM
decent rates?

variable rates?

By the way, that should be www.treasurydirect.gov, not ".com".

The rates are decent, given the lack of risk and the tax advantages they offer.

The I-bonds are inflation-proof and have a variable rate, because they always pay a fixed amount over and above inflation. Right now that fixed rate is 1.00%, which means you're guaranteed to outpace inflation (which is variable from quarter to quarter, of course) by 1.00%.

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_i_faq.htm

How is the earnings rate of an I Bond determined?
The earnings rate combines two separate rates:

A fixed rate of return, which remains the same throughout the life of the I Bond.
A variable semiannual inflation rate based on changes in the Consumer Price Index for all Urban Consumers (CPI-U). The Bureau of the Public Debt announces the rates each May and November. The semiannual inflation rate announced in May is the change between the CPI-U figures from the preceding September and March; the inflation rate announced in November is the change between the CPI-U figures from the preceding March and September.

Ebolapox
11-12-2005, 06:07 PM

Bah--if you were a TRUE chiefs fan, you'd invest your money in dale earnhardt sr. nascar collectible plates

-EB-

Ebolapox
11-12-2005, 06:08 PM
wait, no 'invest in sexual escapade with olsen twins' option?? thought you had an inside track as the head of the official fan club??

-EB-

Miles
11-13-2005, 02:31 AM
I would just be conservative and put it in mutal fund that tracks the S&P 500. Vanguard has a very low fee one.

KCChiefsMan
11-13-2005, 03:54 AM

i would like to sign up

:)

well you would have had to put all of your money into yahoo before it became big or apple..who knows

Rausch
11-13-2005, 04:05 AM
well you would have had to put all of your money into yahoo before it became big or apple..who knows

Apple is over valued right now.

Wait until after Christmass and then gobble it up (right before they release their new Pentium machines.)

Miles
11-13-2005, 04:09 AM
You could always buy some Pink Floyd albums and spend the rest to get drunk. Best money you will ever spend.

Miles
11-13-2005, 04:14 AM
Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care
Leave, but don't leave me
Look around
Choose your own ground

Rausch
11-13-2005, 04:14 AM
You could always buy some Pink Floyd albums and spend the rest to get drunk. Best money you will ever spend.

I'll 2nd that notion.

Having to date a gal for that box set was the best decision of my life. Even if it does make me an azzhole...

Miles
11-13-2005, 04:16 AM
I'll 2nd that notion.

Having to date a gal for that box set was the best decision of my life. Even if it does make me an azzhole...

Sound like it was worth it. Any bad things the box set can offset.

DaKCMan AP
11-13-2005, 08:24 AM
With $2000, and wanting something long term, look into a Roth IRA.