View Full Version : Whitlock: Productive LJ could be costly

tk13
11-13-2005, 02:23 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13153185.htm

Productive L.J. could be costly
Johnson steps into starring role as only young offensive talent the Chiefs have

JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

Intelligence and backbone can be a football player’s greatest curses.

You can know too much and be too willing to express what you know. As Larry Johnson begins his reign as Kansas City’s go-to offensive weapon today in Buffalo, it will be interesting to track how Johnson’s backbone and intelligence affect his dealings with the Chiefs.

The early word is that L.J. is in the process of shopping for a new agent, cutting ties with Marvin Demoff, which is an indication that L.J. will soon be shopping for a restructured contract from the Chiefs. His rookie deal expires in 2008.

With Priest Holmes on injured reserve once again, finished as an every-down back and quite possibly headed for a San Antonio retirement home, Johnson has unprecedented leverage. He’s the only Kansas City offensive regular with major upside who is an ascending player.

Willie Roaf, Will Shields, Trent Green, Tony Richardson, Casey Wiegmann and Eddie Kennison are all descending players because of age and experience. Tony Gonzalez and Brian Waters can maintain their status as arguably the best tight end and best guard in football, respectively.

Johnson is the most valuable and most rare resource the Chiefs have. He’s a young, offensive playmaker, the only one the Chiefs have. The Chiefs desperately need a happy and productive Larry Johnson.

The problem for the Kansas City Chiefs is that L.J.’s intelligence and backbone might make it impossible for L.J. to ever be happy here, particularly without a new contract.

You see, I can envision a scenario in which L.J. seeks punitive damages in his next contract. Intelligent people with backbone are often cursed with a long memory and an unforgiving spirit. An apology isn’t good enough. They want an apology, a public admittance of the error and what led to it, and a $acrifice as a sign that it won’t happen again.

You follow?

For two years, Dick Vermeil and Al Saunders treated Johnson like they were doing him a favor letting him suit up and practice with their record-setting, playoff-winless offense. You’d have thought L.J. ran a 5.5 40-yard dash the way Vermeil and Saunders treated him. They took Johnson for granted.

Johnson, a first-round pick, was third string behind Derrick Blaylock. Is there anyone left who believes Blaylock is a better running back than Johnson?

Johnson hasn’t forgotten. He runs with anger and resentment. His public comments don’t even attempt to mask his anger and resentment. He has a right to be mad. Nothing is more maddening to an athlete/competitor than sitting on the bench behind an inferior player because of politics. It leaves deep scars.

Johnson got caught in the middle of a draft-day personnel disagreement between Carl Peterson and Vermeil. For two years, Johnson was never objectively evaluated or properly developed.

Vermeil and Saunders, if they’re back next season, will have to do more than apologize to L.J. in private to make things right. Vermeil made the diapers comment in public. To square things with Johnson, Vermeil will need to admit publicly that he mishandled Johnson, and Peterson will have to pony up some more of Lamar Hunt’s money.

Or maybe it will take a new coach to straighten things out in Kansas City. Vermeil came to Kansas City with the idea of taking this team to the Super Bowl in two or three years. We’re halfway through year five, and the Chiefs don’t appear to be on the road to the Super Bowl.

About the only thing that could get this squad on track would be Johnson making the absolute most of this opportunity to be the man. He could be the consistent spark Vermeil’s offense needs, the spark that could save Vermeil’s dying Super Bowl plan.

L.J. could save Vermeil. Now that’s funny, and it’s some new-contract leverage that I’m sure L.J. will use.

RealSNR
11-13-2005, 02:26 AM
As long as Johnson makes his case for more money on the field, I have no problem. Show him the dough, Carl! :cuss:

Chiefs Pantalones
11-13-2005, 03:41 AM
If LJ plays great, pay the man.

I have no problems, either.

mikey23545
11-13-2005, 05:57 AM
Nothing but Fatlock's usual attempt to sow discord anywhere he can...

Otter
11-13-2005, 06:16 AM
I'm going to make Whitlock and taco "squeels like a pig" john dinner reservations at KC Masterpiece so they can discuss how nothing good will every come out of a Chiefs Running Back.

F*ck you Whitclock you obese shit stirring pig. You're a dinner away from choking on a wing bone.

Otter
11-13-2005, 06:28 AM
For the record you fat turd, I graduated from Penn State Johnson’s freshman year. I probably know more about him than you do.

He's going to make you eat your words. But that shouldn't be a problem for a man of your girth.

Hell, you could probably swallow him whole like a duck does with a trout.

HemiEd
11-13-2005, 06:46 AM
Once again, he is trying to be destructive. Larry finally gets what he wants, and Fatlock has to jack with him. STFU you arrogant, Fatlock

the Talking Can
11-13-2005, 06:48 AM
Whitlock is giddy...he had this article written a long time ago and filed under "Priest Retires".

Color Red
11-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Hey give Johnson the franchise player tag. That'll make him happy. But no one owes LJ an apology. Whitlock acts like Larry gets to show his comparitive value by matching his best seasoned performance against Priest's worst injured day. There are reasons why Holmes played and Johnson sat in those early days of the two, reasons that are usually lost to fans in the stands. Whitlock acts like the reasons didn't exist and he has written an article hoping to capitalize on people's ignorance of them. Not a responsible journalistic service.

CHIEF4EVER
11-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Whitlock acts like the reasons didn't exist and he has written an article hoping to capitalize on people's ignorance of them. Not a responsible journalistic service.

That would be that hacks M.O. in any given article. Just throw some BS out there and see what kind of a rise it gets out of fans. He is just bitter that CP didn't hire his secret lover Jeff George to "save the franchise".

Ebolapox
11-13-2005, 08:19 AM
DO IT, CARL!!!!!

-EB-

Extra Point
11-13-2005, 08:27 AM
F*ck you Whitclock you obese shit stirring pig. You're a dinner away from choking on a wing bone.
Yeah, a vulture wing.

jspchief
11-13-2005, 08:29 AM
We'll be lucky if all LJ wants is more money.

IMO, he's going to want out of town.

Skip Towne
11-13-2005, 08:40 AM

I'm afraid you're right.

Extra Point
11-13-2005, 08:42 AM
No, he'll just want DV out of town.

Chiefnj
11-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Why are people angry with Whitlock for writing this article? Doesn't it make sense? Isn't it likely to happen?

4th and Long
11-13-2005, 08:48 AM

Agree, whole heartedly.

4th and Long
11-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Why are people angry with Whitlock for writing this article? Doesn't it make sense? Isn't it likely to happen?
It's Whitlock. Do I really need to explain this to you? :D

RNR
11-13-2005, 08:53 AM

He ain't going anywhere unless he goes T.O. He has no reason to be unhappy now he is the guy, and if he plays like most think he will, the Chiefs will redo his contract. What will be interesting for a nonfan is the egg throwing fest when he asks for the money. Priest and Gonzo both wanted and desevered more money, many in KC were angry about it. With Johnson not as well liked by the fan base I would guess it will make for some good reading.

Coogs

I think if a whole new coaching staff comes in next year from top to bottom, LJ could be convinced to stay. It may still cost CP a lot more money than normal, but hey.... if he carries us to the playoffs, and even deep into the playoffs, I have no problem with that.

If the new coaching staff has a lot of current assistant coaches staying around, and the HC comes from that list, it could be rough to keep LJ around.

JMO.

CosmicPal

Once LJ or one of his family members reads this- then LJ will start getting the ball rolling.

Wilson
11-13-2005, 08:56 AM
Can you say "Fatlock tyring to leech off the TO" fiasco.

11-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Whit's work is only good for entertainment purposes. Unfortunately, he probably is not far off the mark here.

Coogs
11-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Once LJ or one of his family members reads this- then LJ will start getting the ball rolling.

We actually had this discussion on the Planet 2 or 3 months ago. Probably where JW got his article idea.

Katie
11-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Screw Whitlock...LJ hasn't proven anything except that he has potential and a bad attitude. Perform at a high level consistently and develop a high class Priest Holmes-like attitude and then we can think about restructuring.. until then STFU!

4th and Long
11-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Screw Whitlock...LJ hasn't proven anything except that he has potential and a bad attitude. Perform at a high level consistently and develop a high class Priest Holmes-like attitude and then we can think about restructuring.. until then STFU!
GOODBYE CARL!!! HELLO KATIE!!!

RINGLEADER
11-13-2005, 10:37 AM
As long as Johnson makes his case for more money on the field, I have no problem. Show him the dough, Carl! :cuss:

I don't need to read another post in this thread...you've got it spot on.

Just work on the fumblitis LJ...

T-post Tom
11-13-2005, 10:41 AM
I'd love to see the Star's "Round Mound of No Sound" do a job swap with Peterson for one season. Of course, with JW's recent job history, he probably wouldn't last a whole season.

Mr. Laz
11-13-2005, 10:45 AM
didn't we already have a thread on CP about larry johnson getting paid?

another writer stealing material from us

Reerun_KC
11-13-2005, 11:32 AM
I honestly hope LJ shoves it to Carl.. I would like to see Carl finally get bent over the barrel for his 5 year superbowl plan.

year what?

F Carl!

Mr. Laz
11-13-2005, 11:34 AM
I honestly hope LJ shoves it to Carl.. I would like to see Carl finally get bent over the barrel for his 5 year superbowl plan.

year what?

F Carl!

only problem is that if carl gets screwed so does the chiefs salary cap.

i would rather just have carl get fired and spare my chiefs from sharing his deserved punishment.

PastorMikH
11-13-2005, 12:54 PM
I have no problem paying someone big that produces big. I'd much rather do that than pay someone big that doesn't produce - or worse yet sits on the bench as a backup (ahem).

Hammock Parties
08-20-2007, 05:08 AM
Funny how Whitlock saw into the future.

morphius
08-20-2007, 05:22 AM

year what?

F Carl!
Ahhh, so you want the cap so screwed that we can't win even after Carl is gone. Sounds brilliant.