PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: No defense for this offense

tk13
11-14-2005, 02:22 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13160843.htm

No defense for this offense

By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — When Kansas City’s disgusting 14-3 loss to the Buffalo Bills was over, Dick Vermeil wore a look of bewilderment.

His Chiefs lost in the worst way possible, producing a single field goal and never legitimately challenging Buffalo’s goal line. A man of immense pride and considerable ego, Vermeil was downright humble following Sunday’s contest. He congratulated Buffalo’s players, coaching staff and even owner Ralph Wilson.

“It’s disappointing to come up here and not play better, but out of respect for them, we’ll just say they beat us,” Vermeil said.

Vermeil meant those words. There was no excuse-making, no inference that his team handed Buffalo the game with a plethora of mistakes. When Vermeil talked about Kansas City’s turnovers — of which there were four — you got the sense he sincerely felt the Bills created those opportunities.

“I credit their coaching staff for doing a real good job,” Vermeil said.

Vermeil, the architect of the Greatest Show on Turf in St. Louis and the Greatest Show on Grass in Kansas City, spent Sunday afternoon watching the offensive game plan that he co-created with offensive coordinator Al Saunders get shredded.

Vermeil’s favorite quarterback, Trent Green, threw three passes into the arms and hands of Buffalo defenders. He never tossed one pass into the Buffalo end zone. Not one. Even with Willie Roaf sidelined and Priest Holmes on injured reserve, the Chiefs couldn’t imagine an entire afternoon trapped between the 20s.

“It’s bad,” Green said, “especially when you consider what this offense is accustomed to doing. … When our defense plays this well, we expect to win.”

The problem for the Chiefs — and the reason Vermeil looked bewildered — is Roaf, KC’s All-Pro left tackle, won’t heal this offense or fix the multitude of problems this loss created for the Chiefs.

Kansas City’s margin of error disappeared Sunday. Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and San Diego — the teams likely to be chasing two AFC wild-card spots along with the Chiefs — are positioning themselves to win at least 10 games this season. The Chiefs and the Chargers will need to win five of their remaining seven games to reach the 10-victory plateau.

Given Kansas City’s season-ending, five-game stretch of opponents — Denver, Dallas, the New York Giants, San Diego and Cincinnati — a 5-2 finish for the Chiefs doesn’t seem very likely.

No, the Chiefs desperately needed to win at Buffalo and next Sunday in Houston. They needed to be 7-3 when the New England Patriots visited Arrowhead Stadium. Based on what we saw Sunday, the Chiefs just might be 5-5 when they leave Houston, especially if Roaf misses another game.

Trent Green throws interceptions when Roaf doesn’t play. On Sunday, Green looked a lot like the Tr-INT Green of 2001, the guy who threw 24 interceptions and 17 TD passes. Roaf was a member of the New Orleans Saints in 2001.

Traveling mostly via Interstate Jordan Black, the Buffalo Bills sacked Green six times on Sunday. The constant pressure rattled Green, forced him out of rhythm. He quit stepping into his throws and became inaccurate. He also lost a critical fumble that cost the Chiefs field position. For the year, Green has thrown seven TDs and six interceptions. Is it a coincidence that Green’s numbers have fallen when Roaf has missed five games and all but one quarter of another?

But it would be unfair to pin everything on Roaf’s absence. The Chiefs’ offensive problems run deeper. Kansas City’s offensive strategy simply hasn’t evolved. The league has caught up with Vermeil, Saunders and the guy they left behind in St. Louis, Mike Martz.

The offense only works if the quarterback is left completely dry and all of the receivers can get out into patterns. Kurt Warner eventually got knocked silly in St. Louis and has never looked the same. You have to wonder if the hits and age are also catching up with Green. We know the offense is being slowed by KC’s constant efforts to help their suspect offensive tackles in pass protection.

As I looked at Vermeil during his postgame press conference, I wondered where he would find two more in-their-prime, Hall of Fame offensive linemen, so that KC’s front five would be as strong as when Roaf and Will Shields protected Green in 2002, 2003 and 2004.

If anyone has the next Roaf and/or Shields hanging around their house, please call Vermeil over at Arrowhead. He’d love to hear from you, and you’d ease a lot of his concerns.

Spicy McHaggis
11-14-2005, 03:26 AM
Traveling mostly via Interstate Jordan Black

Aw, Whitlock couldn't find a key on his computer to make a cute little name like "Prie$t" and "TrINT".

Eleazar
11-14-2005, 06:56 AM
It isn't just Roaf. No one on the line is playing well at all it seems like.

Extra Point
11-14-2005, 07:08 AM
Fatlock nailed this article. Can't believe he's actually making sense.

There should be no next year for Dick Vermeil. It is too cumbersome for him. If any change can be made, given the same head coach and coordinators, it should be in the line coaching staff.

Pants
11-14-2005, 07:09 AM
Fatlock nailed this article. Can't believe he's actually making sense.

There should be no next year for Dick Vermeil. It is too cumbersome for him. If any change can be made, given the same head coach and coordinators, it should be in the line coaching staff.

??? You want to get rid of Solari? Wow...

siberian khatru
11-14-2005, 07:10 AM
Pretty mild column.

BigRedChief
11-14-2005, 10:52 AM
One of the main reasons that this Martz/St. Louis/DV/Al Sauders offense isn't clicking on either team is that NFL defenses have caught up with the defense.

If you have average players excuting the offense you get average or below average results. No better than any other system.

KCTitus
11-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Anyone care to go down memory lane with me?

Harken back to an early spring, March, when a certain 'columnist' penned the column that defined the next KC season? It all hinged on Ty Law--so much so that Jason decided the best way to get the point across was with a Sign Ty Law pep rally/riot/slumber party just out side Arrowhead...

Yep, here we are at 5-4 and I think when the final whistle blows in December, we can look back on that season and say: 'Yep, Ty Law sure would have saved this season'.

wolfpack0735
11-14-2005, 12:06 PM
One of the main reasons that this Martz/St. Louis/DV/Al Sauders offense isn't clicking on either team is that NFL defenses have caught up with the defense.

If you have average players excuting the offense you get average or below average results. No better than any other system.
that just about explains it except the rams had wide receivers and we dont.

go bo
11-14-2005, 12:06 PM
ty law is da debil...

jidar
11-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Ty Law would have been good for... nothing.

morphius
11-14-2005, 01:02 PM
I don't know how he missed that fact that our running back who "run's angry" blocks like 12 year old school girl.

TEX
11-14-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't know how he missed that fact that our running back who "run's angry" blocks like 12 year old school girl.

Does that school girl wear diapers?

morphius
11-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Does that school girl wear diapers?
Depends on your fantasy I guess.

I could have lived with one missed block, but I swear he missed 4.

Spicy McHaggis
11-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Depends on your fantasy I guess.

I could have lived with one missed block, but I swear he missed 4.

I agree. It looked like he had never been taught how to block. It really bothers me when NFL players can't or won't do the fundamental things you're taught in high school ball.