PDA

View Full Version : There were lots of positives in this game and a lot of positives to look forward to

B_Ambuehl
11-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Call me crazy but there were a lot of positives in that game and, given that Roaf can return healthy, I feel better about the team then at any other point this season. Here's why:

-90% of the problems on offense can be pinned on Jordan Black and they've been there all year. With the starting offensive line playing every game this is probably a 7-2 football team. He gave up 3 sacks yesterday, another pressure, and caused one of the other interior lineman to give up a sack having to help him. When he was at right tackle he was also giving up 2-3 sacks and multiple pressures per game. His stats against San Diego were about what they were yesterday. Losses to Philly and San Diego can be pinned squarely on the offensive line.

- Given LJ stays healthy, Holmes injury is a blessing in disguise. There isn't a more productive runner in the NFL at this point.

- I know it doesn't appear to be so based on yesterday's offensive "scoring" output, but the offensive coaching staff has found their rhythm with regard to play calling and play selection. I said last week that most teams in the NFL would be struggling to score 10 points a game with the situation at tackle the way it is. Lots of people probably rolled their eyes until they saw the stats on TV about Green getting hit more then any other quarterback this year. Given those stats, and realizing that those hits can entirely be blamed on the backups at tackle, mainly Black, you can expect them to be remedied. The fact that the offense was *still* #6 overall is a credit to the coaches.

- Even yesterday I thought the coaches had an excellent gameplan and called an excellent game. The running game was dominant and the passing game was working off of that. The protection never really got horrible until turnovers forced us out of the original gameplan and took away the play action pass and short dropbacks. Trent was only pressured on 3 out of his first 27 dropbacks which, although not perfect, is probably not as bad as what one might think.

- Gonzales is in the flow, LJ is in the flow and the team is running the ball very effectively, Kennison has been in the flow, and, given the starting offensive line back and the hope that Green doesn't perform like yesterday and turn the ball over, I feel this offense about ready to get back to their 27 + pts per game average.

- This defensive football team is finally playing like they know what the hell they're doing out on the football field. They've had a different swagger about them the last 2 weeks. The blitzes aren't being telegraphed and are effective. They're getting pressure on the quarterback. Guys are playing with confidence. Kawika is playing as good as any MLB in the NFL. Wesley is hitting people and making plays. Even with the 2 throws downfield yesterday, Warfield and Surtain are doing an excellent job covering the short and intermediate stuff and making the tackles at CB. 9 times out of 10 Warfield makes the play on that first ball. The D-line is killing the running game. Siavii even got in there and made a couple of tackles yesterday. Two weeks in a row they've given up less then 200 passing yards.

- The loss is being overblown with regard to the playoffs. I'll take my chances with 10 wins and to do that only requires winning 1 out of 2 on the road and 3 out of 4 at home. That's achievable given the return of Roaf, the health of the rest of the team, and the defensive improvements. They have to win next week to get one in this recent 2 game grouping and win 1 out of 2 vs the Giants and Cowboys. I'll place my money on either Jacksonville or Cincinnati faultering at some point and coughing up a couple of bad losses - neither of those teams are complete by any means and every week is tough.

NewChief
11-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Wow. Now there's optimism.

Good post, though. Not sure I agree with everything, but I do think that yesterday was something of a fluke game. Sort of the flipside of our win against Atlanta last year.

Hammock Parties
11-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Great post, but we still f*cked up BADLY yesterday. We can't afford to lose to bad teams on the road!!! It is just that simple.

Winning our next 3 games is ABSOLUTELY A MUST. A loss to Houston PROVES we suck ass.

How did Welbourn grade out yesterday? I liked your post about the O-line last week.

FloridaMan88
11-14-2005, 01:16 PM
We got sucked into believing that Roaf was going to be the cure-all for the offenses problems though before. You say that the loss in San Diego can be pinned on the offensive line, well Roaf played in that game and was part of an offensive line that struggled most of that game.

Kclee
11-14-2005, 01:17 PM
I'll take my chances with 10 wins and to do that only requires winning 1 out of 2 on the road and 3 out of 4 at home.

Isn't that only 9 wins?

Reaper16
11-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Shaun Alexander, I'd say, is more productive than LJ is.

morphius
11-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Did anyone notice how much better the D line played with "The Leader" Hicks injured when Hall replaced him?

Deberg_1990
11-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Nice optimism, but at this point even if we do happen to "back into" the playoffs, this team aint going anywhere. No way this team beats Denver, Pittsburg, San Diego or the Colts in the playoffs.....this team hasnt got a chance this year...Its too bad because the Defense while they still are not worldbeaters, are legitimittly improved. Too bad its a day late and dollar short. This D should have been completely rebuilt after about 2002. Typical....

Dunit35
11-14-2005, 01:22 PM
One major positive I see is our LB's. All three of them are making things happen. I even saw Bell doing a few things yesterday. Mitchell knows what hes doing now. Johnson is just DJ, still makes a few mistakes, but is weeding out the mistakes slowly. I especially liked DJ laying the wood on that TE making him drop the pass.

ROYC75
11-14-2005, 01:24 PM
The best positive I seen was that the season is over. I don't have to wait another 3 - 4 weeks to see it end.

Oh, and listening to a few members here wiggle when Scanlon makes a tackle.

StcChief
11-14-2005, 01:25 PM
So how do we fix our LT/RT problem. Roaf back when? Sampson when? To stop QB pressures/sacks/hurries.

Agree LJ/Tony G getting in flow more now.

Not sure about Offense play calling, doesn't look like it to me.

I'm as optomistic as next guy, just not seeing everything here as right.

Agree about needed wins now. Not sure 10 wins gets ups in playoffs.

JV, Cincy stumbling?

TrickyNicky
11-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Did anyone notice how much better the D line played with "The Leader" Hicks injured when Hall replaced him?
I did. I thought Hall did a good job opposite Allen in rushing the passer.

Deberg_1990
11-14-2005, 01:30 PM
The best positive I seen was that the season is over. I don't have to wait another 3 - 4 weeks to see it end.

You know whats gonna happen right? The Chiefs will win next week and everyone will say we are back! We wil then lose the next three to the Pats, Donkeys and Cowpokes. Then everyone will say our season is over. We will then win 3 in a row to close out the season (Garbage Time) and CP and DV will say something like " This team showed just how much heart and character it really has" "We arnt that far off from being great" Blah blah blah....im so sick of their crap.

Stinger
11-14-2005, 01:32 PM
I must say I do like the swagger from our D yesterday. 2 things I noticed the forced turnover after the Green fumble was great, and how after the cheep shot block on Green the D started jawing with the bench of the Bills and backed it up with forced 3 and out followed by a missed field goal. And lastly the Hit from Wesely ... brutal.

Warfield missed played the first TD and deserved the critism, the second either its a touchdown or 1st and goal at the on due to pass interference cause that was a perfect pass nothing you can do about those.

All in all last couple of games great effort by the D :clap:

B_Ambuehl
11-14-2005, 01:33 PM
How did Welbourn grade out yesterday? I liked your post about the O-line last week.

Welbourn was opening up that right side and the first 3 plays to the right went for 5 yards, 12 yards, and 24 yards. There were more but those are the ones I see right here in front of me. Like I said last week, Welbourn is a freak in the running game. That doesn't mean he's pancaking guys on every block but he is very effective in that department. Apparently the staff thinks so too because the first 2 plays of the game went right behind him. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in there the rest of the season. He did give up a sack but it was a difficult situation....Green kind've got himself sacked.....he pump faked and held onto the ball off a 5 step drop.

You say that the loss in San Diego can be pinned on the offensive line, well Roaf played in that game and was part of an offensive line that struggled most of that game.

Black was playing in that game at right tackle and had similar stats as yesterday. Roaf gave up one sack in that game but also kind've made up for it leading LJ up the sideline on that 60 yarder to the left.

ferrarispider95
11-14-2005, 01:35 PM
Sometimes this board is like a bunch of women, we dont know how the season is going to turn out. The nfl is an unpredictable league, sh*t happens, we have a winning record and have a lot of home games left. Hopefully Roaf will get back and the offense will get in stride to make a run into the playoffs.

I don't want to sound like Tony Robbins, but a little Optimisim wouldnt hurt.

ferrarispider95
11-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Atleast we got a little D now.

Deberg_1990
11-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Sometimes this board is like a bunch of women, we dont know how the season is going to turn out. The nfl is an unpredictable league, sh*t happens, we have a winning record and have a lot of home games left. Hopefully Roaf will get back and the offense will get in stride to make a run into the playoffs.

I don't want to sound like Tony Robbins, but a little Optimisim wouldnt hurt.

Hve you followed this team at all the since 2001 when DV took over?? If you have then you would know that its effectively over for this team. Oh sure, I realize that we are 5-4 and on paper that looks good and all, but this team doesnt have a prayer. Like I mentioned earlier, even if we do happen to back into the playoffs we arnt gonna do anything anways.......Ive seen this movie too many times.....

Is this you Carl Peterson???

morphius
11-14-2005, 01:45 PM
I did. I thought Hall did a good job opposite Allen in rushing the passer.
Yup, he got actual pressure on the QB a few times, once hicks went back in there was nothing from that side at all. He did have a hand in gang tackle or two, and I saw Hicks push his guy back towards the QB, but it didn't cause any real pressure. I really wish the coaches would take their heads out of their butts on this guy and just realize what he is, a hard worker who practices well, but just doesn't get it done on Sundays.

ROYC75
11-14-2005, 01:47 PM
You know whats gonna happen right? The Chiefs will win next week and everyone will say we are back! We wil then lose the next three to the Pats, Donkeys and Cowpokes. Then everyone will say our season is over. We will then win 3 in a row to close out the season (Garbage Time) and CP and DV will say something like " This team showed just how much heart and character it really has" "We arnt that far off from being great" Blah blah blah....im so sick of their crap.

Yep, same old song and dance.

irishjayhawk
11-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes I did.

That said, all Eric Hicks does is make plays. He's a solid guy who takes care of business on the field by making plays and displaying leadership. I'm not sure why you would want him off the field. /DickSpeak

Wile_E_Coyote
11-14-2005, 01:53 PM

Hicks has only missed 3 games the last 6 years 99-04, 9-9 games this season. He is Mr. Healthy

B_Ambuehl
11-14-2005, 06:49 PM
There was quite a bit of experimenting going on along the defensive line yesterday.....saw a couple of things I hadn't seen before. Saw Siavii come in and play NT once (the right DT spot), and usually he's at the the 3-technique or left DT in this defense. Hall playing over on the right side in the 4-3 on passing downs is something I'd like to see more of.

Hammock Parties
11-14-2005, 06:50 PM
I saw some new stuff, too. Faking stunts, and Jared Allen faking dropping into a zone.

This place would be off kilter if Jordan Black didn't block a DE because of a head fake.

Scanlon played some DE, too.

morphius
11-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Hicks has only missed 3 games the last 6 years 99-04, 9-9 games this season. He is Mr. Healthy
I know and it is driving me nuts.